Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:25:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SolidCoin 2 Release - Monday 10th October 23:35 UTC  (Read 21318 times)
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 10:47:39 PM

Clock for Clock AMD PHENOMs seem the fastest option currently. However factoring in HyperThreading seems to put it big in intels favour. I haven't researched why yet, but a hyperthreading core gives nearly 90% of a non HT core on my I7-920.

The only way I can explain that is if you were using two HT cores on separate physical cores. Two HT cores running on the same physical core simultaneously, and both delivering 90% of a physical core doesn't appear to make sense.

Can anyone confirm this behavior?

It depends. If the workload is purely ALU-bound or FPU-bound and there are few instruction interdependencies, then each thread of a HT core should deliver exactly 50% of the performance of a single thread running on it, as they share execution units. IOW HT doesn't help at all increase performance.

However if the workload is memory-bound, if execution units are mostly idle, then each thread of a HT core should deliver about 100% of the performance of a single thread running on it. IOW HT doubles performance.

For real-world workloads, the number falls somewhere in between 50% and 100%. CoinHunter reporting 90% means his mining algorithm is mostly memory-bound.
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 11:15:21 PM

Clock for Clock AMD PHENOMs seem the fastest option currently. However factoring in HyperThreading seems to put it big in intels favour. I haven't researched why yet, but a hyperthreading core gives nearly 90% of a non HT core on my I7-920.

The only way I can explain that is if you were using two HT cores on separate physical cores. Two HT cores running on the same physical core simultaneously, and both delivering 90% of a physical core doesn't appear to make sense.

It depends. If the workload is purely ALU-bound or FPU-bound and there are few instruction interdependencies, then each thread of a HT core should deliver exactly 50% of the performance of a single thread running on it, as they share execution units. IOW HT doesn't help at all increase performance.

However if the workload is memory-bound, if execution units are mostly idle, then each thread of a HT core should deliver about 100% of the performance of a single thread running on it. IOW HT doubles performance.

For real-world workloads, the number falls somewhere in between 50% and 100%. CoinHunter reporting 90% means his mining algorithm is mostly memory-bound.

So then scrypt sucks so much on Intels because ... Huh
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 11:43:18 PM

Rumor is that SC 2.0 is just a small recursion loop inserted into the BTC hash algorithm. If that is true, it should be trivial to make recursion simulation for GPUs. I wouldn't bother mining SC 2.0 on CPUs until we see the algorithm, it would be a waste of electricity.

Unless source is never released...
Then I suppose Solidcoin is dead.  Embarrassed

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
bulanula

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 11:49:20 PM

Rumor is that SC 2.0 is just a small recursion loop inserted into the BTC hash algorithm. If that is true, it should be trivial to make recursion simulation for GPUs. I wouldn't bother mining SC 2.0 on CPUs until we see the algorithm, it would be a waste of electricity.

Why so !? Normal people don't give a dog poop about the source of a software they use. They only care it works or not etc. Maybe he will release the source or maybe he won't. Who cares !? As long as it works then more power to him.
xzion

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 12:14:13 AM

not going to be mining on anything that sets off virus detection on my computer, or anything i can't read the source of. good luck.

Tips: 1xzionJBueq1AkPSmexA7suWkztAkNwSs
bulanula

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 12:17:42 AM

not going to be mining on anything that sets off virus detection on my computer, or anything i can't read the source of. good luck.

Well that is jolly good with me. More coins for me Smiley
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 12:57:05 AM

I was trying to download the client to prepare.  I was wondering is it the same as the last beta client?  I went to the main page solidcoin.info.  If you click the link to download the client you get nothing?  I then downloaded the last beta and it looks awesome and seems to be awesome.   However, it still seems to use testnet folder and a new block chain.  So when will solidcoin 2.0 final be released?
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 03:23:48 AM

Anyway, any idea when we'll see any white papers or the actual source code, if ever?

Yes, they are both coming. White paper won't be long after or before the release. Source code is dependent upon the trolls. If you have any services you want to use with SolidCoin then give me an email/PM if you need more technical information than is currently provided.

hahahah!

This is a joke... Right!?!?

What you afraid of?! Hein?!!?
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 03:26:26 AM

Why so !? Normal people don't give a dog poop about the source of a software they use. They only care it works or not etc. Maybe he will release the source or maybe he won't. Who cares !? As long as it works then more power to him.

Having the source code is much more than a requirement for any serious/trust-able solution.

Linux = open source = trust-able
Windows = closed source = crap
Bitcoin = open source = trust-able
Solidcoin = mysterious closed source = crap
bulanula

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 03:27:30 AM

Then I suppose Solidcoin is dead.  Embarrassed

Having the source code is much more than a requirement for any serious/trust-able solution.

LOL nice analogy so SolidCoin = Windows and Bitcoin = Linux. You are a genius !

So then Tenebrix = Mac  Grin !?
Bobnova

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 03:55:07 AM

Real-work workloads gain 10-30% from HT.  That's tested results, not theoretical stuff from whitepapers.
All time absolute record that I have seen is around 40%.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 04:24:47 AM

Then I suppose Solidcoin is dead.  Embarrassed

LOL nice analogy so SolidCoin = Windows and Bitcoin = Linux. You are a genius !

So then Tenebrix = Mac  Grin !?

LOL   Tongue

Steve Jobs just move in the tomb! +_+
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2011, 04:29:18 AM

Real-work workloads gain 10-30% from HT.  That's tested results, not theoretical stuff from whitepapers.
All time absolute record that I have seen is around 40%.

You did not read me correctly. You are talking about a different percentage scale. When I say "50% of 1 thread" it means "0% performance gain from HT". When I say "100% of 1 thread" it means "100% gains".

IOW, you agree with me.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 04:46:51 AM

CoinHunter, how much was premined? The previous plan was to premine some to transfer to all original SC owners right? In addition to that, were more coins premined?

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 07:45:14 AM

will there be a pool available at start?

no way I will install this closed source prog.
Spacy

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 08:06:18 AM

will there be a pool available at start?

no way I will install this closed source prog.

Pools are available, but you need a working miner software for it, at the moment only the client itself can mine SC2...
caish5

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2011, 08:12:43 AM

It's OK.
He WILL install the closed source client just like the rest of the trolls will.
Capitalism beats patriotism every time!!!!

Bitvolcano YAC, BBQ and WDC P2Pools at http://bitvolcano.com
bulanula

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 08:47:00 AM

It's OK.
He WILL install the closed source client just like the rest of the trolls will.
Capitalism beats patriotism every time!!!!

So true.
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 12:11:16 PM

If you like giant countdown timers :- http://solidcoin.info/

Monday 10th October 23:35 UTC

Also of note, 3 wannabe hackers from this forum claimed they would take down the SolidCoin 2 public beta and none have. Welcome to the future of cryptocurrencies, a truly secure network.

Nice one mate ! Seems like the 8 Japanese scammers ( Satoshi = kano = coblee = MtGox = lolcust = SAC = BitcoinExpress = ArtForz ) proved once again that they are total idiots.

CoinHunter, if you are not going to bother putting a reasonable time between your posts, why don't you post your little marketing dialogs under your main ID?

I am not a detractor of SC2.0 because I don't know what it can do (yet).
But I am definitely not a proponent of people using false identities to self-promote.
Also, you could find a little more natural dialogs.
Boot licking yourself in that shameless way makes it sound pretty ridiculous.
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 10, 2011, 12:15:50 PM

SolidCoin will work perfectly on Windows 7 and Intel. My 2600K gets about 160 khash/s ( maximum anyone has reported on any CPU so far ) which is damn nice !!!
You know a lot about SC2.0 for someone who did not design it, and someone who is not CoinHunter in spite of posting all the time at minutes of interval with him and boot licking him like he himself would do if he was flexible enough. Wait, are you CoinHunter?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: