Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:32:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SolidCoin 2 Release - Monday 10th October 23:35 UTC  (Read 21318 times)
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 09:18:13 PM

Actually johnj... if what was discussed in solid irc, and I have no reason to doubt the validity at this time.  The 1.2 million coin addresses essentially cease to work once they fall below 1 million.... so given that statement is true, the address holders will have no choice to have them thrown away and the pre-mined economic impact is 2 million coins that get reverted back over to the CPF fund over a long course of time of which in that time if not enough "independently wealthy" solidcoin owners have been found the CPF will be forced to have to recycle coins into the propped up millionaire accounts and these coins will have to go through the same process again.
Are we entirely sure about this? The addresses can apparently only be used for trusted blocks, and creating those apparently requires 1 million solidcoins - but what happens if RealSolid combines two of these depleted addresses to fulfil the million-coin requirement? I have no idea if this would be allowed by the rules and I'm not sure if RealSolid's thought about it much, but if this was possible then a full 11 million premined coins could eventually end up in RealSolid's CPF wallet.

Some of the smaller improvements like Multi-Wallet could and should have been introduced to the mainline Bitcoin client long ago as even a noob developer like Gavin should have been able to manage them. The fact is Bitcoin development is stagnant so you don't see any new features, "amazing" or otherwise.
Funnily enough the Bitcoin developers actually wrote a lot of the internal changes to support multiple wallets that RealSolid piggy-backed on - not that long before he started work on it in fact - and that code exists in the official Bitcoin client. They just haven't got around to exposing it yet, possibly because of the difficulty of doing proper testing. (RealSolid's initial release with it had an unfortunate bug that corrupted users wallets' if they used wallet encryption and multi-wallet support at the  same time.)

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bobnova

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 11:04:39 PM

It's better because of the approach that RealSolid is taking with the development. Adding new features that are actually useful, doing proper testing before releases, making plans to promote SolidCoin in the future, and so on.

Really?  I mean, really?  Are you honestly trying to claim that he does proper testing when he's constantly releasing bugfixes?
You do know what bugfixes are for, right?  Fixing bugs.
What's a bug?  Something that wasn't found and fixed before being released.
Proper testing exposes those bugs before release, leading to bug-free releases.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 11:51:20 PM

Some of the smaller improvements like Multi-Wallet could and should have been introduced to the mainline Bitcoin client long ago as even a noob developer like Gavin should have been able to manage them. The fact is Bitcoin development is stagnant so you don't see any new features, "amazing" or otherwise.
Funnily enough the Bitcoin developers actually wrote a lot of the internal changes to support multiple wallets that RealSolid piggy-backed on - not that long before he started work on it in fact - and that code exists in the official Bitcoin client. They just haven't got around to exposing it yet, possibly because of the difficulty of doing proper testing. (RealSolid's initial release with it had an unfortunate bug that corrupted users wallets' if they used wallet encryption and multi-wallet support at the  same time.)
Sorry - but that is quite ridiculous of CH.
He's taken untested code from bitcoin and here CH acolytes are saying how it makes it better than bitcoin, but that code corrupts wallets?
I wonder if that explains a post I saw elsewhere where someone had SC wallet corruption - i.e. when was it fixed in SC? (or has it been fixed?)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 01:16:20 AM

It had the stench of death about it so I sold up all my coins and got out. This was long before the SolidCoin chain re-opened. So, even if I did have this non-existant early GPU miner you're on about I would not have been able to do anything with it.

Whoops, panties showing.

You loudly proclaimed on an exchange chat earlier today that you hold "5% of your wealth in SC, and over 75% in BTC."

So I guess that we should take your statements with the same Gibraltar-sized grain of salt that once must use to filter any agitprop about sc. You have learned your lessons well, you lie, like he codes, pathetic, arrogant and sad. And your stories have as many holes as his security.
Ten98

Activity: 1008

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 02:22:32 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM by Ten98

It's better because of the approach that RealSolid is taking with the development. Adding new features that are actually useful, doing proper testing before releases, making plans to promote SolidCoin in the future, and so on.

Really?  I mean, really?  Are you honestly trying to claim that he does proper testing when he's constantly releasing bugfixes?
You do know what bugfixes are for, right?  Fixing bugs.
What's a bug?  Something that wasn't found and fixed before being released.

No major software project is 100% bug free, you could test for years and still not find every bug. Granted, the hashrate bugs in the mining portion of the client are embarrassing and should have been captured, but nobody's perfect!

"Proper" testing, in my opinion, ensures that core functionalities or "Minimum Marketable Features" are 100% working, and allows for some minor defects. You can learn about this approach on Wikipedia if you like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_software_development#Lean_software_practices
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_testing

There's a balance to be struck between time spent testing and speed of updates, you're always going to have to trade one for the other.

You could spend 3 months testing each new version and release maybe 2-3 updates a year, or you can test enough to be satisfied the core functionality is working well and release new features quickly. I think SolidCoin is a project which benefits from the latter approach.

It had the stench of death about it so I sold up all my coins and got out. This was long before the SolidCoin chain re-opened. So, even if I did have this non-existant early GPU miner you're on about I would not have been able to do anything with it.

Whoops, panties showing.

You loudly proclaimed on an exchange chat earlier today that you hold "5% of your wealth in SC, and over 75% in BTC."

So I guess that we should take your statements with the same Gibraltar-sized grain of salt that once must use to filter any agitprop about sc. You have learned your lessons well, you lie, like he codes, pathetic, arrogant and sad. And your stories have as many holes as his security.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I don't hold any Bitcoins at all. Sold the majority at $8 when it was on the way down from $10, and transferred the last few I had into SolidCoins a few days ago. It's a dead currency with no future, makes no sense to hold it...

RealSolid's initial release with it had an unfortunate bug that corrupted users wallets' if they used wallet encryption and multi-wallet support at the  same time.

This wallet corruption was in one of the early private Betas, it never occurred in any version that was released to the public.

The point of private beta testing is to find bugs in untested features, this was one of them. The users who had their wallets corrupted knew the risks and had wallet backups, so you'll be pleased to know that there was no harm done.

I'm thrilled that you're all following the development of the SolidCoin client so closely, but if you really want to keep up to date with all the goings on in the fast-paced ever-changing world of SolidCoin I strongly recommend checking out the new SolidCoin Wiki: http://wiki.solidcoin.info/

Peace out, and thanks again as always for your continued interest in our little project Cheesy
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 09:13:43 PM

How is it that you have such deep insight into this guy?

My guess? He's either CoinHunter or a "friend" of his. Either way, he's got his head pretty far up CoinHunter's ass.
Spacy

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 09:18:30 PM

@Ten98

Once again you demonstrate an uncanny ability into the inner reasonings of Coinhunter, his thoughts on why, when, where and what.

Maybe because of common sense and following SC forum + IRC?  Grin
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 09:33:55 PM

@Ten98

Once again you demonstrate an uncanny ability into the inner reasonings of Coinhunter, his thoughts on why, when, where and what.

Maybe because of common sense and following SC forum + IRC?  Grin

Obviously a completely unbiased arena for free and open discussion of SolidCoin!
kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 10:20:21 PM

@Ten98

Maybe because of common sense ...
Seriously, that has nothing to do with it.

Just get ANY unbiased opinion of it (yes ignore mine as well) and you will find that they will not say that common sense has anything to do with SolidCoin.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 10:59:10 PM

I said goodbye to common sense once I started using magical imaginary internet money.  Grin

SolidCoin makes only slightly less sense than Bitcoin when you look at both from afar.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 11:26:23 PM

I said goodbye to common sense once I started using magical imaginary internet money.  Grin

SolidCoin makes only slightly less sense than Bitcoin when you look at both from afar.

Yes the only thing BTC has going for it really over it is less of the outright lying, thieving, scumbag factor about it.. Well that and actual usage of the coins of course in ways not intended to scam people out of their shit.
Minor correction:
The actual usage of the coins other than to trade for other coins/cash.

Bobnova

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 11:39:35 PM

Really?  I mean, really?  Are you honestly trying to claim that he does proper testing when he's constantly releasing bugfixes?
You do know what bugfixes are for, right?  Fixing bugs.
What's a bug?  Something that wasn't found and fixed before being released.

No major software project is 100% bug free, you could test for years and still not find every bug. Granted, the hashrate bugs in the mining portion of the client are embarrassing and should have been captured, but nobody's perfect!

And clearly there was time for "proper testing" during the three updates within a few hours mess, right?

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 26, 2011, 01:40:28 AM
Last edit: October 26, 2011, 01:56:51 AM by Explodicle

I said goodbye to common sense once I started using magical imaginary internet money.  Grin

Yes the only thing BTC has going for it really over it is less of the outright lying, thieving, scumbag factor about it.. Well that and actual usage of the coins of course in ways not intended to scam people out of their shit.
Minor correction:

Yes exactly what I meant non-scam purposes like actually trading for goods and services not money/coins on exchanges that are being manipulated as far as I can see on a continuos basis.

I don't know what exactly any cryptocurrency is actually being used for; they are difficult to trace to the point of being practically anonymous. I also cannot measure scumbag factors. I see no reason to trust anyone here or speculate on their motives, and I couldn't care less about forum drama.

So I have no choice but to minimize trust. The only meaningful difference between the two is whether to trust the Bitcoin block chain or some anonymous guy. Yeah I choose the block chain, but a constant stream of hate is not constructive.
Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 12:24:36 AM

I said goodbye to common sense once I started using magical imaginary internet money.  Grin

Minor correction:

Yes exactly what I meant non-scam purposes like actually trading for goods and services not money/coins on exchanges that are being manipulated as far as I can see on a continuos basis.

I don't know what exactly any cryptocurrency is actually being used for; they are difficult to trace to the point of being practically anonymous. I also cannot measure scumbag factors. I see no reason to trust anyone here or speculate on their motives, and I couldn't care less about forum drama.

So I have no choice but to minimize trust. The only meaningful difference between the two is whether to trust the Bitcoin block chain or some anonymous guy. Yeah I choose the block chain, but a constant stream of hate is not constructive.

Well here's a clue.  All crypto-currencies other than BTC curentl;y have no significant use other than to speculate on and trade against BTC.  Mervchants aren't touching them.  If you belive you have soimne iside infoirmation then by all means trade them - otherwise ou're just gambling on the success of BTC but insulatingyourself from that success by one step.

Arguably you could invest in SC2 rather than BTC if you believe some anonymous guy with control over 12 million premined coins and over the netowrk is a better bet than the consensus on which BTC operates. 

If you don't have inside info or trust in RS then investing in alt-chains is gambling at best and burning money at worst.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 06:08:40 AM

... looking at BTC-E at the moment SC2 could drop down to as low as .00001 BTC in the not too far future,
(buys are a total of 50BTC including all the fake ones - everyone seems to be selling)
so you could get 1mil SC for 10BTC (at .00001) and become a truted node Cheesy
(or even .000001 thus trusted for only 1BTC)

Looks like trust will be cheap soon Cheesy

bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 03:52:13 PM

... looking at BTC-E at the moment SC2 could drop down to as low as .00001 BTC in the not too far future,
(buys are a total of 50BTC including all the fake ones - everyone seems to be selling)
so you could get 1mil SC for 10BTC (at .00001) and become a truted node Cheesy
(or even .000001 thus trusted for only 1BTC)

Looks like trust will be cheap soon Cheesy

Nice one ! LOL
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  

Jump to: