Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:13:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox Multi-plaintiff Suit  (Read 68894 times)
achillez

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:14:41 AM

i'm in for the plaintiff suit if/when this gets started

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:17:33 AM

i'm in for the plaintiff suit if/when this gets started

It's probably moot now.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 06:01:31 AM

At this point people with money in Mt. Gox should be contacting the Tokyo police and reporting that Mt. Gox took their money and disappeared as a company. Do this now. Make sure Mark Karpeles' passport is flagged so he can't leave Japan.
btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:06:01 AM

At this point people with money in Mt. Gox should be contacting the Tokyo police and reporting that Mt. Gox took their money and disappeared as a company. Do this now. Make sure Mark Karpeles' passport is flagged so he can't leave Japan.

This. I called but the signal sucked and I couldn't hear a thing. Trying from a different line later.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:19:53 AM

I'm not usually inclined to repeat unsubstantiated rumours but there were reports last week that MtGox staff had been required to surrender their passports (I've got no way to confirm it but it wouldn't have been an unusual step given multiple government investigations going on in relation to MtGox).

While I understand that the authorities have said that they can't regulate Bitcoin exchanges, I presume that normal corporation law applies.  The "leaked document" appears to provide evidence that MtGox is knowingly trading while insolvent so it's definitely worth reporting that to whoever is responsible for enforcing corporations law in Japan.  The mainstream media has picked up the story now, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get that particular option in motion.

It's possible that there are insufficient grounds for criminal complaints as yet, but it's worth a try I guess.

Another avenue to try is Japanese trade organisations in your own country.  They may be more familiar with the appropriate legal options than the rest of us.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
publius25

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:13:35 AM

I think those of us in the EU should push for a separate suit because there might be money in the polish account. It will also be easier.

I think the foundation are also to blame if they continued to accredit the exchange as a gold member when they were aware of these problems.
psilos

Activity: 52

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:36:39 AM

I think those of us in the EU should push for a separate suit because there might be money in the polish account. It will also be easier.

I think the foundation are also to blame if they continued to accredit the exchange as a gold member when they were aware of these problems.

+1.

I Agree that it may worth investigating whether EU funds can be claimed directly from the polish bank.

Anybody in the forum with experience in related legal issues that can help?

sparcu

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:52:01 AM

Is there any online form to file a complaint with Tokyo police?
They got ~10K USD of mine.
Gush

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:02:23 AM

+1.

I Agree that it may worth investigating whether EU funds can be claimed directly from the polish bank.

There are good options for class-action suits in the Netherlands. Dutch courts are often used for pursuing class actions against firms (since they assume jurisdiction quite easily), and its judgments can be executed EU-wide.

Any person that has lost money/bc because of MT.Gox's mistakes has a civil claim that it can transfer to an institution or fund, which then in turn can initiate action on behalf of all claimants.
qiuness

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:07:06 AM

I`m also ears, since i was stupid enough to have BTC on GOX!
efrix

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:18:07 AM

+1.

There are good options for class-action suits in the Netherlands. Dutch courts are often used for pursuing class actions against firms (since they assume jurisdiction quite easily), and its judgments can be executed EU-wide.

Any person that has lost money/bc because of MT.Gox's mistakes has a civil claim that it can transfer to an institution or fund, which then in turn can initiate action on behalf of all claimants.

Gush do you know where we can start? Any institution or fund in Netherlands?
Gush

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:33:23 AM

+1.

A logical first step would be to first pool how many people with claims you can find to start such a class action. Then you would have to approach a (NL-based) attorney with your case. A fund could be set up collectively on behalf of the claimaints. Allthough no cure no pay is forbidden in the Netherlands, there are ways to circumvent this with class-action suits, thus it might be possible to find a lawyer/lawfirm that would work on behalf of all claimants on a no cure no pay basis (which means the involved lawyers get an x percentage of the total claim value if they would succesfully bring the case to an end).
efrix

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:54:02 AM

+1.

A logical first step would be to first pool how many people with claims you can find to start such a class action. Then you would have to approach a (NL-based) attorney with your case. A fund could be set up collectively on behalf of the claimaints. Allthough no cure no pay is forbidden in the Netherlands, there are ways to circumvent this with class-action suits, thus it might be possible to find a lawyer/lawfirm that would work on behalf of all claimants on a no cure no pay basis (which means the involved lawyers get an x percentage of the total claim value if they would succesfully bring the case to an end).

Is there anyone from Netherlands that can be our reference there? What way is better to use to pool people interested in this action?
PM on bitcointalk? A private mail address? (I can do that if needed)
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:23:38 PM

From my Gmail back in October, I called that guy, his English is fine:

(the mail address is return address to the municipal official, that gave me the contact to the Metropolitan police, so not a cop. You have to call them on the phone!! The country of robots & A.I.Huh)
S0000010@section.metro.tokyo.jp

25/10/13

Dear Mr. Tore Martin Lund

Thank you for your email.

According to its website, Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department receives
information of cases by e-mail, but they can't reply to sender.
And they deal with matters which are occured inside of Tokyo Metropolitan
only.
Therefore, about appropriate referense, I suggest you to inquire of Tokyo
Metropolitan Police Department General Consultation Center by telephone.
(in English)

Hours :  Mon-Fri 8:30-17:15
Japan standard time is 9 hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time.
(UTC +09:00)
Best regards,
Kaori Adachi
Citizens' Consultation Section
Tokyo Metropolitan Government
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 12:59:56 PM

So has someone called this in?
Mark is fleeing.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bitcoinsolicitor

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

Bitcoin Lawyer in Kensington, London

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 01:02:41 PM

I am a qualified solicitor authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority in Engand.

My law firm Selachii LLP would be please to assist / advise those located in the UK.

To discuss any potential matters please call + 44 (0) 20 7792 5649 or email info (at) selachii.co.uk

Regards

Richard Howlett
Solicitor
www.bitcoinsolicitor.com
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:12:02 PM

The US Coinlab suit is going to court shortly. I would imagine they are a priority creditor over regular costumers if they win? That case might also delay any other settlement of claims from costumers?

That's another reason that I think the "take over" rumours are exaggerated, but then again, I don't claim to have any knowledge of international cooperate law.
seijisamlee

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:38:45 PM

I have contacted the offices of my law firm (REDACTED) in Tokyo to begin proceedings to sue Mt.Gox / Tibanne Ltd / Mark Karpeles .....

I am an affected from Spain, with 30BTC into MtGox. Is it late to get into this iniciative?
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:08:58 PM

+1.

Is there anyone from Netherlands that can be our reference there? What way is better to use to pool people interested in this action?
PM on bitcointalk? A private mail address? (I can do that if needed)

Im based in Germany and would be interested to make a claim in a possible class action suit but will wait a few more days before taking action to see what the situation is like and what chances there are to recover any of my losses from Gox. I dont think there is much there to recover though.

What should be done immediately though is hinder Mark Karpeles from fleeing the country. If there are any email addresses to contact Japanese law enforcement, I will send them an email straight away and so should you!

Polish authorities have shown little to no effort to protect the interests of (German) Bitcoin exchange customers in the similar case of bitcoin-24.com when a Polish bank account was seized over alleged money laundering charges (which proofed wrong). Till today no funds have been released.
Massimo80

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:14:03 PM

I'm from Italy, and definitely would like to get my 12K EUR back (no BTCs, I was in fiat after having sold them and immediately requested a bank transfer. That was two months ago. It never arrived.).
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: