Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:28:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SCAM ALERT!!! Lost 0.08 BTC [Please stay safe]  (Read 949 times)
Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2018, 06:40:36 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2018, 06:57:33 PM by Heisenberg_Hunter

This 0.08BTC which you lost may worth a lot in future  Undecided. Unless we have huge amount in crypto, it's better not to risk your bucks in Lending business nor we should never indulge ourselves in Lending for interests. With Ethereum and Waves platform, one can generate x amount of tokens and can scam anyone. A token needs to move to its own independent blockchain after quite few months/years. Most of these tokens which doesn't move, end up being scam or becoming worthless over the years.

In future, its better to accept collateral for coins which has an independent blockchain rather than risking your btc for these worthless tokens which are created on top of other blockchain. It would be least possible for one to get scammed if they accept coins as collateral. I feel really sorry for your loss. Good luck with your Lending business if you are willing to risk your btc again to untrustworthy individuals who are roaming all around the forum to scam someone.  Sad

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marlboroza
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 2270

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 06:51:31 PM

I gave an exchange address to  DarkStar_ and it was showing the following message.

"Warning! Error encountered during contract execution [Reverted]"
https://etherscan.io/tx/0x2a7c3e41ad92cb9d116293fe7b0557fc075a313a9b56a25f8505ab3d952ac0cf

Answer is somewhere in code, perhaps DarkStar can't send tokens from that address? Not sure. Why they issued new tokens in first place? Perhaps they fucked up something in code first time. I am just guessing.

So I figured it's because the address was an exchange address. I may ask DarkStar_  to send the tokens to an ERC20 address which I own.
It doesn't matter, you can send every token to exchange address even if they are not listed on that exchange because you are not really sending tokens to exchange  Wink However, they won't show in your balance if they are not listed.

Look, there are plenty of reasons why you shouldn't accept erc tokens as collateral, whole investing in ICO is one big gamble and these tokens have "ability" to literally crash over night, then your collateral will be worth nothing, don't get me wrong on this, but whoever borrows money from you doesn't really have obligation to repay loan as they already gave you collateral, right? It is shady, I know, just saying.
After all, you will take higher collateral than your loan is worth(20% in this case), in any case whoever borrow money from you will pay huge interest.
Anyway, it is better to use top 10 altcoins as collateral, as someone already suggested, unless you really know what you are doing.
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 07:36:28 PM

Answer is somewhere in code, perhaps DarkStar can't send tokens from that address? Not sure.
If DarkStar_ can't then how did that scammer send the tokens to DarkStar_ in the first place? It must be possible. May be the exchanges can stop incoming wrong tokens programmatically.

Why they issued new tokens in first place? Perhaps they fucked up something in code first time. I am just guessing.
They could perhaps find a safer way to protect people from scammers when they issued new tokens. I am not sure about solidity programming, wasn't it possible for them to lock the old tokens with an exception of sending only to the burned address?

This 0.08BTC which you lost may worth a lot in future  Undecided.
Totally mate.

Look, there are plenty of reasons why you shouldn't accept erc tokens as collateral, whole investing in ICO is one big gamble and these tokens have "ability" to literally crash over night, then your collateral will be worth nothing, don't get me wrong on this, but whoever borrows money from you doesn't really have obligation to repay loan as they already gave you collateral, right? It is shady, I know, just saying.
After all, you will take higher collateral than your loan is worth(20% in this case), in any case whoever borrow money from you will pay huge interest.
Anyway, it is better to use top 10 altcoins as collateral, as someone already suggested, unless you really know what you are doing.

In future, its better to accept collateral for coins which has an independent blockchain rather than risking your btc for these worthless tokens which are created on top of other blockchain. It would be least possible for one to get scammed if they accept coins as collateral. I feel really sorry for your loss. Good luck with your Lending business if you are willing to risk your btc again to untrustworthy individuals who are roaming all around the forum to scam someone.  Sad

I am going to fully revise my lending topic. This is a draft idea I am thinking of...
If a coin/token is a top 10 on CMC then collateral can be in an independent address, if it's not then send it to an exchange. Money will sent out once the fund become available in the exchange. Also I will set stop/loss in certain percentage.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16554

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2018, 07:55:28 PM

May be the exchanges can stop incoming wrong tokens programmatically.
That's not how any blockchain should work.

I am going to fully revise my lending topic. This is a draft idea I am thinking of...
If a coin/token is a top 10 on CMC then collateral can be in an independent address, if it's not then send it to an exchange. Money will sent out once the fund become available in the exchange. Also I will set stop/loss in certain percentage.
Feel free to send me your draft for review when ready. I'll be thorough.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 08:02:18 PM

That's not how any blockchain should work.
I see.

Feel free to send me your draft for review when ready. I'll be thorough.
Thanks mate, I will do.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 08:05:14 PM

Answer is somewhere in code, perhaps DarkStar can't send tokens from that address? Not sure.
If DarkStar_ can't then how did that scammer send the tokens to DarkStar_ in the first place? It must be possible. May be the exchanges can stop incoming wrong tokens programmatically.
The exchange address is just an eth address. Your regular address is an eth address, they're the same addresses.
The scammer sent it by tricking the token process and the blockchain, DarkStar_ can't send it because he probably doesn't have much experience in ERC20 tokens (as they do nothing to benefit Bitcoin).

Why they issued new tokens in first place? Perhaps they fucked up something in code first time. I am just guessing.
They could perhaps find a safer way to protect people from scammers when they issued new tokens. I am not sure about solidity programming, wasn't it possible for them to lock the old tokens with an exception of sending only to the burned address?

That would surely cause a lot more harm than good wouldn't it?
I mean the coin is supposed to be decentralised and anyone is able to produce their own token so it's impossible to do unless you use KYC for people making tokens (which isn't going to happen).

Under such conditions, people generally use the top 100 on the cmc list if that helps.

At 35 is dogecoin for example.
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

The scammer sent it by tricking the token process and the blockchain, DarkStar_ can't send it because he probably doesn't have much experience in ERC20 tokens (as they do nothing to benefit Bitcoin).

Blow me! So, that was a smart guy hiding behind his computer.

That would surely cause a lot more harm than good wouldn't it?
I mean the coin is supposed to be decentralised and anyone is able to produce their own token so it's impossible to do unless you use KYC for people making tokens (which isn't going to happen).
Yes, now it makes lot more sense, I totally forgot that part  Smiley

Under such conditions, people generally use the top 100 on the cmc list if that helps.

I will revise the terms and will share it with all. May be I will have only a set of alts that I am comfortable with.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 08:27:09 PM

Blow me! So, that was a smart guy hiding behind his computer.
This is what I've tried to say previously but not very well.
I therefore, also, don't know why they waste their time doing this when they have so much intelligence, you lost $600 - think of how quickly he could have earnt more than that actually using his skills in some way by hiring them out?

I will revise the terms and will share it with all. May be I will have only a set of alts that I am comfortable with.
Yes that might be a wise idea to only select a set few although the top 100 have enough money thrown into them that they are probably safe enough to use without needing any special circumstances.

No offence, but I like the fact I'm not the only one who fell for this sort of thing if you and DarkStar_ were duped by it.
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2018, 09:15:11 PM

Perhaps you can't spend all of your HYDRO? (or there's a seperate HYDRO fee?) The burn info page suggests this:

You must send 1 less token than your current balance to burn your old Hydro successfully.

I'm not familiar with this ERC20 token and I just assumed they were all basically the same.

PS: He basically suggested escrow and wanted to pay for it. Sadly DarkStar_ never got paid though. So yeah, he actually did not spend anything to execute this scam except tx fee to transfer the tokens from his address to DarkStar_'s.

I couldn't care less about my escrow fee in this case, and even if I was paid, the funds would have gone to you.

taking a break - expect delayed responses
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 09:19:54 PM

I may have given this one too much effort earlier, perhaps it was just this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectHydro/comments/84xc4q/hydro_token_reissue_faq/

@DarkStar_ I'm not entirely sure it's possible to unburn a token if that is what has happened?
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 03:17:09 AM

@DarkStar_ I'm not entirely sure it's possible to unburn a token if that is what has happened?

The ones I was sent aren't burnt yet. HYDRO recommends that they be burned, but it is not required. My best guess is that you can't spend all of your HYDRO at a time perhaps? I haven't looked at the contract nor do I consider myself knowledgeable with smart contracts so I'm just guessing.

taking a break - expect delayed responses
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 08:14:45 AM

I hope it's ok to share the PM here since there are nothing to hide. yishak actually PMed me yesterday unexpectedly...

I did not add one more coz that actually contains his account credentials. I said I don't need it. This are the replies I made...

marlboroza
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 2270

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 08:53:15 AM

If DarkStar_ can't then how did that scammer send the tokens to DarkStar_ in the first place?
Probably hydro messed up something with code and holders can send less old hydro tokens than they hold:
You must send 1 less token than your current balance to burn your old Hydro successfully.
Perhaps to try that?

May be the exchanges can stop incoming wrong tokens programmatically.
They really can't, as I said, you are not really sending tokens to exchange, you are sending tokens to ethereum wallet which is owned by exchange.

Tokens in darkstars_'s wallet are not burned, and I don't think that address mentioned in hydro's medium is burning address. In case tokens are burned there is no possible way to recover them, as it is some kind of self destruct contract.

I hope it's ok to share the PM here since there are nothing to hide. yishak actually PMed me yesterday unexpectedly...
~
I have never scammed anyone except this time  Roll Eyes
genuin

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 10:38:58 AM

by reading your story, I am sad because you lost a lot of bitcoin. In using this kind of thing, you need to be more selective so that the events you are experiencing do not reoccur. And for the reader of this tread, be careful if you will use your coin in any activity
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 12:40:26 PM

by reading your story, I am sad because you lost a lot of bitcoin. In using this kind of thing, you need to be more selective so that the events you are experiencing do not reoccur. And for the reader of this tread, be careful if you will use your coin in any activity
This is the whole point of creating the topic also to get the account tagged by the DT's. I hope the topic is spreading enough awareness to the members. I am also having a link on my signature space to help to spread the news. I hope more members will notice it and get the idea to avoid the tricks from the scammers. So far I know including me there are two other members who experienced (aTriz, jackg) the same. There must be a lot of other people are also getting scammed daily using the same method around the cryptospace and we have no clue about them.

The case marlboroza mentioned from ICOethics's PM is also a case to be alarmed.

They really can't, as I said, you are not really sending tokens to exchange, you are sending tokens to ethereum wallet which is owned by exchange.
This make sense actually.

Tokens in darkstars_'s wallet are not burned
Those token hasn't burned yet. They have an address to burn the tokens (x-1 number). Until anyone send the token to that address they stay alive (fake and useless thought)

I have never scammed anyone except this time   Roll Eyes
Hard to believe however the only way to justify that he is telling the truth is - to wait few months. Let's see if he pays it back or not. I hope he sort out his stuffs (if it's real) and comeback clean.

... don't know why they waste their time doing this when they have so much intelligence, you lost $600 - think of how quickly he could have earnt more than that actually using his skills in some way by hiring them out?
Unfortunately this is the world we are living. People waste their intelligence to find the shortcuts where with a little hard work they could turn it to something better and bigger. They could earn more or to have a prestigious life.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 16554

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2018, 02:52:19 PM

If he's serious about this (which I highly doubt), he should start partial payments already, and not wait a few months.

If yishak pays back, I'll remove my red trust. By that time I'll decide whether or not to leave a neutral trust rating.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Parodium

Activity: 1036
Merit: 332

DMs have been disabled. I am busy.

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 08:47:46 PM

A useful lesson thanks for sharing it, sucks that you had to be the fall guy that learned it the hard way.
brenzosa

Activity: 162
Merit: 1

GPTCash Weekly Airdrop: https://discord.gg/YHngU9x

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 05:46:09 AM

I have some thoughts...

if yishak the scammer planned for this, why did he use his original account (full member) and not a newbie account?  maybe using a full member account will have more chance at getting this loan, which he did.  it's like selling a full member account for $600.

did darkstar tried sending less amount of old hydro (something like 100k) to make the transaction work?  i had similar case like this before where sending my eth token to exchange always fail no matter how high the gas setting was.

Zapo
Copper Member

Activity: 224
Merit: 156

Stay Dangerous!

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 12:30:29 PM

Unfortunate. A hard lesson learnt for sure.

When reading this thread, another scam came to mind... I'd like to warn you and other people about this as well.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2335323.msg23758209#msg23758209

Someone tried to use a fake token with similar information but wasn't actually worth anything. Just make sure you don't get played like this as well.

The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 2170

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2018, 12:41:21 PM

May be scammer give merit instead of btc  Wink. I can see he given 7 merit on this thread. Even he scam btc he return you merit  Grin . Very Merciful scammer Lol. It means he get price 0.08 BTC for 7 merit  Huh. Please double  check next time before collateral token. Especially contract address. Because any token can be created by spending 2$ gas fee. Scammers are more advance from us.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██