Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:09:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Video: What Is Bitcoin? from weusecoins.com  (Read 9005 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 22, 2011, 11:22:55 PM

Wow! 

Excellent animated video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um63OQz3bjo
http://www.weusecoins.com/

The video's credits show:
Voice: Chris Rice
Motion graphics: Fabian Riuhle
Music & sound design: Christian Barth
Production: Stefan Thomas

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SATOSHl

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 02:10:54 AM

Good job.  Can i put this video on my blog?Huh
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 02:16:48 AM

I like that video a lot.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 02:26:10 AM

simply awesome!!! I hope the authors will collect most of that 12000 BTC bounty.

Let hope all pledgers cough up their money for the bounty.

abstraction

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 03:01:53 AM

Bounty Thread: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=697.0
hippich

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 05:13:37 AM

hacker news post - http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2358118

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 05:22:22 AM

Vote this up on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/g99it/what_is_bitcoin_professional_animated_video/
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 05:25:36 AM

This video has qualities making is suitable even for TV ads!

This is an idea.  How much would it cost to air it on US national TV?

Maybe we should start a bounty for that Wink

dissipate

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 05:31:23 AM

The video is great, too bad there isn't a user friendly client to go with it.  Embarrassed
abstraction

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 05:44:22 AM

This video has qualities making is suitable even for TV ads!

This is an idea.  How much would it cost to air it on US national TV?

Maybe we should start a bounty for that Wink

You could try radio first, see if it flies with the talk radio crowd. Peter Schiff might be receptive to that idea. http://www.schiffradio.com/
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1071

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 06:11:37 AM

The video is great, too bad there isn't a user friendly client to go with it.  Embarrassed

Me & lukejr have been creating this:

But it's been mostly ignored so far.

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3451.0

Right now I'm working on a name lookup protocol (genjix@foo.org instead of addresses):
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4353.0

And wallet encryption.

So hopefully there will be a more user friendly client once I've got those items resolved.
jav

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 08:57:46 AM

Very nicely done video, indeed. It's great to see this kind of quality work around the Bitcoin community.

That said, I will be pessimistic here and predict that this video will not go viral. Because it fails - in my opinion - to communicate the most important characteristic: that Bitcoin is a decentralized system. Sure, it's mentioned in the beginning, but that's more or less it. I mean, who is the target audience here? I think it's mostly early-adopter geeks. Average Joe won't trust his money to the Bitcoin system before all his friends do. So as a early-adopter geek I naturally want to understand how this thing works. And all I hear is "Bitcoins are created at a limited rate" (I'm thinking: if it's decentralized, how can that possibly be enforced) then later I hear "a transaction is verified by a miner" (I'm thinking: how is it verified? if anyone can be a miner, what is that verification worth? why does it even need to be verified? [having just heard of the system, I will probably not immediately think of the problem of double-spending]).

So in effect the video just claims in a number of pretty pictures that Bitcoin "is changing finance" and I'm left wondering: how does it work? Then I have to read the white paper or what? I'm sorry, this is the age of ADHD - I'm watching the video, because I don't want to read some technical paper.

I'm realizing that all this is very, very hard to communicate, so I can totally understand why they went for a more "simplified" route. I also don't really have a better way of explaining it in a short amount of time. But I think it's necessary for a video to go viral. It's the difference between "aha, ok, nice claims" and "wow, this is a brilliant concept, I need to forward this to my friends".

But I hope I can be proven wrong by having this video hit Reddit, Digg & Slashdot soon. ;-)

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2011, 09:24:29 AM

"The maker of bit coin was one of the first Creators of Spyware people."

Yay, Youtube comments...

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
jav

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 10:10:58 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2011, 01:42:00 PM by jav

This is just in r/Bitcoin though... preaching to the choir there. =) I think we should go for r/technology which is - if I remember correctly - also in the set of reddits that appear on the reddit.com frontpage, so if we make it there we have a chance of reaching the frontpage. Here is an attempt at a submission:

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/g9lnw/what_is_bitcoin_professional_animated_video/

Edit: I didn't remember correctly, r/technology is not part of the Reddit frontpage. Well, still a fitting and large reddit to post it in. Maybe r/videos would be a place to post it to reach the frontpage? Let's see how it is doing in r/technology.

Edit2: I deleted my submission again, I felt it wasn't going to well. Anyone else feel free to give it a try, if you like.

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
stakhanov

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 10:42:38 AM

This is just in r/Bitcoin though... preaching to the choir there. =) I think we should go for r/technology which is - if I remember correctly - also in the set of reddits that appear on the reddit.com frontpage, so if we make it there we have a chance of reaching the frontpage. Here is an attempt at a submission:

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/g9lnw/what_is_bitcoin_professional_animated_video/

Edit: I didn't remember correctly, r/technology is not part of the Reddit frontpage. Well, still a fitting and large reddit to post it in. Maybe r/videos would be a place to post it to reach the frontpage? Let's see how it is doing in r/technology.

You should really try to find a better title and resubmit. How about: "Bitcoins: a decentralized and anonymous currency for easy exchange over the Internet [video]"?
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 10:46:10 AM

This video is a seriously great bitcoin achievment.

I mean: it has been funded thanks to a bitcoin bounty.  It's kind of a proof of concept by itself.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:19:24 PM

This video is a seriously great bitcoin achievment.

I mean: it has been funded thanks to a bitcoin bounty.  It's kind of a proof of concept by itself.

The granddaddy and biggest of all Bitcoin bounty, nonetheless!

jav

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 01:43:27 PM

You should really try to find a better title and resubmit. How about: "Bitcoins: a decentralized and anonymous currency for easy exchange over the Internet [video]"?

Sounds good, maybe you can give it a try. Enough Reddit gamble for me today. =)

stakhanov

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 04:08:42 PM

Sounds good, maybe you can give it a try. Enough Reddit gamble for me today. =)

Here it is. Please upvote!
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 04:18:30 PM

This video needs to go on the front page of every website including bitcoin.org.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: