Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:53:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Extortion (A Felony) Committed on Forums, Mod inaction? Against Rules?  (Read 697 times)
whywefight
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1042

www.explorerz.top

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 12:12:30 AM

Like I said. Had a look and I disagree.

Let's see if staff steps in... like that'd ever happened...

Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
WaffleMaster (OP)

Activity: 966
Merit: 546

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 12:19:19 AM

Well, it's always in the best interest of a website/marketplace/forum to operate not only within their own rules, but the laws of the places they allow access to their website as well. To limit liability and prevent investigations, which I assume is why that rule is there to begin with.
whywefight
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1042

www.explorerz.top

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 12:20:46 AM

Well, it's always in the best interest of a website/marketplace/forum to operate not only within their own rules, but the laws of the places they allow access to their website as well. To limit liability and prevent investigations, which I assume is why that rule is there to begin with.

I give up, you are right. Has staff commented on it by now?

WaffleMaster (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 12:24:19 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2018, 12:39:23 AM by WaffleMaster

I give up, you are right. Has staff commented on it by now?
No, it is still an 'unhandled' report. Hilarious did comment informally here, before I showed the extortion. Basically he said they don't moderate scams. He also seems displeased at the current state of admin... but what happened and is provable by the PM and also the pictures of the PM is that criminal extortion occurred, which is a felony, not just some shitty scam. I'm happy you agree.

So no, any formal comment on the reported PM that was engaged in illegal activity has not been stated.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 04:24:57 AM

But if the forum isn't thwarting provable criminal activity, what has it become? What will the community turn into?

I mean the core of the community (we have a bit of a spam issue ATM LOL) will become what it has always been.  A community based on open, borderless, permissionless, trustless, decentralized technology we call the blockchain.

The forum is not judge jury and executioner over every contract made on the forum.  Learning how to transact and navigate a borderless, permissionless, trustless technology is not always easy or safe.  But everyone will learn when it is the new norm!!  Cool
WaffleMaster (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 04:41:56 AM

But if the forum isn't thwarting provable criminal activity, what has it become? What will the community turn into?

I mean the core of the community (we have a bit of a spam issue ATM LOL) will become what it has always been.  A community based on open, borderless, permissionless, trustless, decentralized technology we call the blockchain.

The forum is not judge jury and executioner over every contract made on the forum.  Learning how to transact and navigate a borderless, permissionless, trustless technology is not always easy or safe.  But everyone will learn when it is the new norm!!  Cool
We're not talking about a contract, we're talking about criminal extortion. Can default trust members put negs on somebody and then tell them to pay up to remove it? Obviously the community will revolt against such an activity, so why is this any different? Why is this person protected to try to extort people into silence? Why is staff not policing the rules about illegal activity? Report is still "unhandled".

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:03:53 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2018, 05:17:07 AM by Flying Hellfish

Can default trust members put negs on somebody and then tell them to pay up to remove it?

Yes they can, and I would be very surprised if they were banned for it.  They would likely be removed from DT by whomever had them listed, and painted red for days, but the staff in "official" capacity likely wouldn't act.

If you really think this is some felonious assault you need to contact law enforcement.  They would contact theymos with appropriate legal documents and theymos would comply or fight it, both of which I believe he has done before.  Those are the proper channels to follow not complaining about a bad report and banning another user.

Frankly you sound a little butthurt about a single report not being handled and a user not being banned.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:14:33 AM

Can default trust members put negs on somebody and then tell them to pay up to remove it? Obviously the community will revolt against such an activity,

Pay up to whom? if you could ask them to pay to the forum I don't see how that could result in a community revolting, would you consider paying the fee for evil IPs as extortion? or maybe paying for copper membership is also an extortion attempt?

But because forum owners charge those fees nobody says anything.
Stop trolling us for one unhandled report, I've got 27 unhandled reports but you don't see me trolling people for them.

🖤😏
WaffleMaster (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:20:16 AM

Can default trust members put negs on somebody and then tell them to pay up to remove it?

Yes they can, and I would be very surprised if they were banned for it.  They would likely be removed from DT by whomever had them listed, and painted red for days, but the staff in "official" capacity likely wouldn't act.

If you really think this is some felonious assault you need to contact law enforcement.  They would contact theymos with appropriate legal documents and theymos would comply of fight it, both of which I believe he has done before.  Those are the proper channels to follow not complaining about a bad report and banning another user.

Frankly you sound a little butthurt about a single report not being handled and a user not being banned.
Well, yes anybody can do anything. Anybody could go outside with a gun or knife right now and commit murder...obviously it's an available option lol. I don't think anybody argues that.
I suppose I don't understand: Why isn't illegal activity bannable even though the rules state it? Wouldn't it make the website liable, not only to police investigation requests and what headaches that causes, but also to potential aiding charges should there be enough crime?
Filing a police report would not be a problem, but why must it go that far in order to protect other people?

Can default trust members put negs on somebody and then tell them to pay up to remove it? Obviously the community will revolt against such an activity,

Pay up to whom? if you could ask them to pay to the forum I don't see how that could result in a community revolting, would you consider paying the fee for evil IPs as extortion? or maybe paying for copper membership is also an extortion attempt?

But because forum owners charge those fees nobody says anything.
Stop trolling us for one unhandled report, I've got 27 unhandled reports but you don't see me trolling people for them.

I was giving a hypothetical if a DT member extorts somebody for negative reputation, as in asks them for $100 to remove a negative they gave...not sure what you're going on about copper membership or forum payment or whatever lol. I think you didn't understand what I said, because that response is far out. Diagran as far as I've seen you had some "negative trust removing" thread and then freaked out over getting negs for it. We're talking about documented crime with bulletproof evidence.
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 05:26:58 AM

Filing a police report would not be a problem, but why must it go that far?

Because that's the proper course of action as staff member Flying Hellfish told you above. The forum will not act as judge and jury. If the forum was contacted by law enforcement seeking evidence that's the point they would get involved not because of your refusal to listen to all the people telling you that's how it works.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
WaffleMaster (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:32:02 AM

Filing a police report would not be a problem, but why must it go that far?

Because that's the proper course of action as staff member Flying Hellfish told you above. The forum will not act as judge and jury. If the forum was contacted by law enforcement seeking evidence that's the point they would get involved not because of your refusal to listen to all the people telling you that's how it works.
Damn lol, ya'll are hardcore. I'm not sure I want to get this guy's life ruined over this shit, but if that's literally the only way to have some sort of action by mods. Yikes  Shocked Why do police reports need to be filed like that lol and mods can't just follow the rules?

So this guy was right about staff eh lol.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:38:10 AM

We're talking about documented crime with bulletproof evidence.

Staff members are not the police, admin is not a police officer, if I talk about trust issues is because the admin is in charge of the whole forum including trust system if I bitch about things is because I expect them not to take sides and do favors for their own beloved green members. what you expect from them is not what they are willing to do, can you understand?

If you want to go to the police for $900 then be my guest, people have scammed more but nobody gives a fuck about it. you are the one freaking out right now.

🖤😏
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 05:44:06 AM

Why do police reports need to be filed like that lol and mods can't just follow the rules?

Because....

The forum will not act as judge and jury.

It's not their job to investigate and make a decision. You've been told over and over.

WaffleMaster (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:46:01 AM

We're talking about documented crime with bulletproof evidence.

Staff members are not the police, admin is not a police officer, if I talk about trust issues is because the admin is in charge of the whole forum including trust system if I bitch about things is because I expect them not to take sides and do favors for their own beloved green members. what you expect from them is not what they are willing to do, can you understand?

If you want to go to the police for $900 then be my guest, people have scammed more but nobody gives a fuck about it. you are the one freaking out right now.
The value that was missed doesn't concern me too much. It's nothing to sneeze at, but not life changing that's for sure. The extortion is a pretty big deal, to be honest. It is literally a felony committed with aggression, so... Staff members aren't police in the way that they can literally lock somebody in a cage because of a crime, but they could definitely handle that crime in different ways on the forum to make sure the community is at least civil. Because again, if they allow certain crime continuously, I think that makes them liable at a certain point (not a lawyer but have had successful lawsuits/arbitration). Just like a marketplace that allows drugs or whatever to be traded.

It's not their job to investigate and make a decision. You've been told over and over.
but...isn't it their job to enforce the rules? LOL?? Isn't that why they are staff/moderators? LOL? They get a report about a duplicate poster, they investigate it, then take action against that person for duplicate posting... Uh, so what are you even saying lol. They just pick and choose what rules to follow?
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 05:56:42 AM

but...isn't it their job to enforce the rules? LOL?? Isn't that why they are staff/moderators? LOL? They get a report about a duplicate poster, they investigate it, then take action against that person for duplicate posting... Uh, so what are you even saying lol. They just pick and choose what rules to follow?

It's their job to keep the forum free from spam not to get involved with personal disputes between members. People like you posting multiple threads about the same thing for example would be something for them. Someone having an issue with a campaign manager isn't. It is very simple to understand and two staff members have already told you.

WaffleMaster (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:59:26 AM

It's their job to keep the forum free from spam not to get involved with personal disputes between members. People like you posting multiple threads about the same thing for example would be something for them. Someone having an issue with a campaign manager isn't. It is very simple to understand and two staff members have already told you.
There's actually 33 specific rules of the forum, you can read them in this subforum actually. As you're concerned with multiple threads, which are not duplicates and have different topics of discussion based on where they are located, you may want to refresh yourself with the rules.

So are you saying they choose to ignore all the other rules that aren't about post duplication and things of a spam nature?
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 06:04:57 AM

There's actually 33 specific rules of the forum, you can read them in this subforum actually. As you're concerned with multiple threads, which are not duplicates and have different topics of discussion based on where they are located, you may want to refresh yourself with the rules.

So are you saying they choose to ignore all the other rules that aren't about post duplication and things of a spam nature?

No, I'm saying that's the main purpose of moderation.
I am very familiar with the rules. If you think that any post or PM this person has made breaks one of the rules then report them. Again don't expect them to get involved in your dispute over a campaign payment, that's nothing to do with the forum.
As for allegations of illegal activity that should be for law enforcement to determine.

WaffleMaster (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 06:18:40 AM

No, I'm saying that's the main purpose of moderation.
I am very familiar with the rules. If you think that any post or PM this person has made breaks one of the rules then report them. Again don't expect them to get involved in your dispute over a campaign payment, that's nothing to do with the forum.
As for allegations of illegal activity that should be for law enforcement to determine.
Again, it's not about the payment, the error of payment, or anything like that. I guess you all agree I should go to the cops then. Interesting how that shakes out, if I even engage in it. Strongly considering it now that two people have said that's the best idea.

On a side note, all rules were basically written by Sirius who hasn't been an admin for about 5 years. Inactive since 2014 as well...post wise. Strange little bit of history as we started discussing rules involving illegal things. Sirius also thought that facilitating drug sales was also just about bad reputation, not being extremely illegal. Guess that was before DPR and SR days...
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 06:31:29 AM

On a side note, all rules were basically written by Sirius who hasn't been an admin for about 5 years. Inactive since 2014 as well...post wise. Strange little bit of history as we started discussing rules involving illegal things. Sirius also thought that facilitating drug sales was also just about bad reputation, not being extremely illegal. Guess that was before DPR and SR days...

Advertising an illegal product is something that could mean the forum is breaking the law. Someone claiming to have been blackmailed doesn't put the forum in any position and it has no need to investigate or take sides.

fokinlipat

Activity: 187
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 06:45:39 AM

So call the cops...

Correct. OP, you are expecting  a lot from the staff in my opinion. The staff will act according to the forum rules and not the law. You cannot expect them to go to the house of a scammer and beat them up for cash. Smiley

If you have proof of what you claim, take the proper route and then only you can recover your loss. In this case, it does not seem to be worth it for the amount of work you will have to do for that but it is your call finally. I hope you get this resolved.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: