Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:40:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The mysterious MtGox buyer  (Read 5614 times)
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:07:46 PM

3) Karpeles just replied to a Reuters reporter....

how do you/we know that he didn't lie to the reporter?

We don't know. That's why I said, two times: Somebody inside MtGox wants us to believe it will be sold/acquired imminently.

They want us to believe that, what we don't know if it is true or not.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:30:32 PM

Its the users that have value,.

On a more sinister note... how much do you think all that ID information for the verified users is worth?

When they locked BTC withdrawals for unverified users, I adamantly refused to verify because I'd rather lose the few BTC I had there than give them the ID info.  Went back and forth with support for weeks arguing that it couldn't possibly help prove I owned the account.  Suggested that for KYC, it should be sufficient to let me transfer ("gift") my BTC to another (verified) account if they needed to know where the BTC went.  Every response boiled down to please verify (i.e. send us a big pile of personal info)

Thats why it is kinda amusing to assume there is not market for mtgox. Plenty of assholes both legal and otherwise would love all that info.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
DaveHamill

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:07:42 PM

I am new to the scene but lost about $150 to Gox. My gut feeling is the "leaked" doc is legit, and the numbers are believable. The timing of the site going down and the fact it has been so long since the problem surfaced with no disclosure of details the whole time makes me think there are huge losses. If the parties who exploited the malleability issue found it was possible on a small scale, then they would have done a large amount in a short period of time. Then they continued it until discovered, which could have been a while considering what we know. Then the coins in cold storage would be almost the only BTC left to try to keep going with. Maybe even while the theft continued. I doubt there is a buyer. Gox is trying to get all of Bitcoin to fix Gox and I don't see that happening. I had just been thinking if trading has continued this long, they are going to make it and I was about to buy more Gox coins. Lucky this happened first. This actually may be best because it will likely lead to bankruptcy and Bitcoin price will recover more easily, and by the time the court helps divide what remains BTC price may increase such that Gox account holders net 50% or more of the value they had before the "crisis", even after sharing the losses of the theft due to poor security. To me that looks like best case.
zyk

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:29:38 PM

OMG thats all absolute utter nonsense distraction....of course everything will be done, not to name the sellers of those 750000 BTC

which got stolen and sold after withdrawls were halted.....there is the smoking gun...the rest is BS and serves to transfer even more

money offshore as the accounts and records still haven´t been seized ! get real people Wink
itsunderstood

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

American1973

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:30:38 PM

If WhatsApp's user base was worth 19B to Facebook then Mtgox's user base is probably worth something to someone as well, especially if you are the one "saving" them from the "evil" Mtgox, goodwill goes a long way.

Yeah what's the going rate for traincars full of lambs?

I had a horrific vision of Scientology and other cults bidding for Gox.  It makes sense to buy in terms of pure evil.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
V4Vendettas

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:36:39 PM

If WhatsApp's user base was worth 19B to Facebook then Mtgox's user base is probably worth something to someone as well, especially if you are the one "saving" them from the "evil" Mtgox, goodwill goes a long way.

I had a horrific vision of Scientology and other cults bidding for Gox.  It makes sense to buy in terms of pure evil.

If Scientologists get involved its your fault for saying their name first  Undecided

itsunderstood

Activity: 364

American1973

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:50:52 PM

If Scientologists get involved its your fault for saying their name first  Undecided

Haha, I don't live like that.  Everyone knows who the branded culty-vampires on Earth, are.

But yes your point is valid: Groups of traumatized humans like Goxxies are valuable to be harvested en masse.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 07:17:03 PM

Who would want to buy Mtgox, They are being sued for 75 Million by coinlabs, they have 10+ million seized by coinlabs and the US gouv. They owe 10's of millions to their clients.

Mtgox is the worst buy ever. The only one I see buying mtgox may be coinlabs and thats a stretch

You're stretching too far!

Squeaker

Activity: 450

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 07:25:48 PM

There is an underground market for documents used by people who do identity theft... and the MtGox assets would be a gold mine for those kinds of characters... Identity theft has occurred with much less info available, and what MtGox has on file is high quality stuff...

Somebody will definitely want to buy the MtGox assets... and I'd be willing to bet, the vast majority of those interested, will end up being people we absolutely do not want having it.

=squeak=

T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:46:12 PM

Who would want to buy Mtgox, They are being sued for 75 Million by coinlabs, they have 10+ million seized by coinlabs and the US gouv. They owe 10's of millions to their clients.

Mtgox is the worst buy ever. The only one I see buying mtgox may be coinlabs and thats a stretch

I second the motion! "All in" for Bitcoin Jesus!!

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:58:24 PM

The thing is that selling a company such as Gox is a process that takes months. You need a due diligence and the numbers have to be crystal clear.

Either Gox was already in advanced negotiations and the buyer already finalized its due diligence, etc. and now its getting a last-minute discount because or the current shitstorm, either all this is just BS and stall tactics.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 09:08:54 PM

I second the motion! "All in" for Bitcoin Jesus!!

Ergo, if you were Mark, would you move your office all the way across town, or only a block away? I'm just asking!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: