Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 07:55:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious- Does Satoshi really own over 1 milion of BTC?  (Read 3873 times)
Mikcik (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:57:40 PM

1) i HAVE REAad in many places that Satoshi owns still around 1 milion of BTC (or even 1,2 milion). Is that a rumour or is it true...?

2) Is the adresses (on blockchain) of these coins known? Can they by tracked? (if he moves them?)

3) Did he move the BTC sometime after his disappearance?
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:01:06 PM

1) i HAVE REAad in many places that Satoshi owns still around 1 milion of BTC (or even 1,2 milion). Is that a rumour or is it true...?

2) Is the adresses (on blockchain) of these coins known? Can they by tracked? (if he moves them?)

1) There was analysis done on a specific pattern in the nonces in blocks generated by Satoshi. From this the estimate of ~1M coins was made. But it's all on different addresses, so it's impossible to give an exact figure.

2) Yes & yes.

3) The ~1M coins that Satoshi is assumed to have, have not moved since they were first mined.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:02:50 PM

he could bail out gox if he wanted to and still be a very wealthy man .......lol
coinnewbit

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:03:10 PM

1) There was analysis done on a specific pattern in the nonces in blocks generated by Satoshi. From this the estimate of ~1M coins was made. But it's all on different addresses, so it's impossible to give an exact figure.

2) Yes & yes.

3) The ~1M coins that Satoshi is assumed to have, have not moved since they were first mined.
Wow, I must say the idea of him trickling in bitcoin slowly and getting pass each day without having a job make me very jealous.
goose20
Legendary

Activity: 1173

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:04:05 PM

2) Yes & yes.

and BOOM - just like that you have clear, simple and correct answers  Smiley
hjbuell

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Writer $0.10/word +

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 01:05:51 PM

Now would certainly seem an opportune time for him to make an appearance Wink

Being different is all it takes to make a difference. H. J. Buell
Writer from $0.10 per word. https://hjbuell.com
pinkmonkey

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:07:13 PM

2) Yes & yes.

oh ya what's his address then if it is on blockchain
V4Vendettas

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:09:26 PM

As one of the million Goxxed customers I would like to state I in no way expect Satoshi to come rescue us. I did not use Bitcoins as he intended  Cry

I will however promise to use bitcoins as intended if he did happen to rescue us lol  Grin

coinnewbit

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:11:09 PM

As one of the million Goxxed customers I would like to state I in no way expect Satoshi to come rescue us. I did not use Bitcoins as he intended  Cry

I will however promise to use bitcoins as intended if he did happen to rescue us lol  Grin
How was Bitcoin supposed to be used?
Kay0r

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:12:45 PM

he could bail out gox if he wanted to and still be a very wealthy man .......lol

The BTC price implication in this is....unthinkable

If the above post was helpful, please consider donate BTC to 1F6BBUcpJLbGoXuftGYa9YSZkCCVHYdHAP
-gagapool.pw-  Multialgo/Multicoin payout. The first of its kind.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:14:22 PM

The answer is in the blockchain! Start from here https://blockchain.info/block/00000000839a8e6886ab5951d76f411475428afc90947ee320161bbf18eb6048 and move forward. This is the first block, by any mean mined by Satoshi. You can see to which address the 50 newly mined bitcoins went and if they moved or not. Since the blockchain is open to everyone, you can see if those coins move.

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
pinkmonkey

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:15:45 PM

The answer is in the blockchain! Start from here https://blockchain.info/block/00000000839a8e6886ab5951d76f411475428afc90947ee320161bbf18eb6048 and move forward. This is the first block, by any mean mined by Satoshi. You can see to which address the 50 newly mined bitcoins went and if they moved or not. Since the blockchain is open to everyone, you can see if those coins move.

that's only for one block what's the address for the million coins he owns?
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 01:18:35 PM

Nahh Smiley I do not think Satoshi own 1mBTC but I am sure he have a lot of them Tongue

And I am sure he is a rich man right now Smiley drinking a champaign in his office ;P
V4Vendettas

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:28:40 PM

My understanding of it is as a replacement for the current financial system.

So for me It would mean maybe earning some bitcoins and spending some bitcoins on things i needed/want.

As opposed to what I did which was trade back and forth from btc to euros to btc like a madman.

Edit: My view on it anyway I do hope thats ok with you.

Mikcik (OP)

Activity: 742

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:31:34 PM

Oh... so its pretty clear, with i dont know, over 70% probability that he reall owns around 1 milion BTC, so this info wasnt rumour...?
coinnewbit

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:31:50 PM

So for me It would mean maybe earning some bitcoins and spending some bitcoins on things i needed/want.

As opposed to what I did which was trade back and forth from btc to euros to btc like a madman.

Lol thanks for informing me about that. Learning new things everyday!
V4Vendettas

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:35:15 PM

Lol thanks for informing me about that. Learning new things everyday!

Hey you asked a stupid question so I dumbed my reply down for you.

kik1977

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:39:01 PM

Sure, that's only the first block, but you can "easily" guess how many blocks have been mined by himself alone. For several days, if not weeks, he was (or they were) basically mining alone, testing the system, if you calculate 50 bitcoins every 10 minutes for the whole period he was mining alone, you can guess how many bitcoins he has. Has Rannasha said, there were many previous threads on this and based on several technical patterns (including the way his computer was generating nonces to come up with the right hash), the 1 million was estimated.  

kik1977

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:43:14 PM

ok, to be honest, you should start from this, Block 0, the Genesis Block: https://blockchain.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:41:41 PM

And what is hilarious is people constantly throw out the SCAM! accusation when developers of other coins premine a few thousand for themselves. I know Satoshi obviously deserves more credit for actually inventing the Bitcoin protocol but it is a bit of a double standard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: