Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:51:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GOX] Crime Scene Investigation, Case #MG744  (Read 46964 times)
papamoi

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:31:27 AM

how can you be sure that it s gox adresses and not anyone s else?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Finnminer

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:08:29 AM

The coins are directly linked to known Gox addresses. See reddit for more info.

The coins are split in about half and moved to new addresses immediately after they get 6 confirmations. They are down to around 10k per address now:
https://blockchain.info/address/12Fgt5jTUENHjYu4KtYaz9V7PMbno3ABan
One interesting thing I noticed is that the amounts are exactly what you'd expect if you used the splitBigOutputs() function from the leaked Gox source code to do the splitting:

Coincidence or Karpeles using his own code to move the coins?
Loozik

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:12:03 AM

If anyone is from Japan, please check if MtGox reported the theft to the local police.

If yes, which addresses the stolen coins were sent.

If not, please report the theft based on MtGox's statements. Not sure about how it's done in Japan, but when you report a crime, police is bound by law to look for evidence of the crime (Gox employee interogation inclusive).
lemier

Activity: 68

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:44:41 PM

I was sure that there is no thief ! So these must be sended to Japan to show them what is going on
Loozik

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:29:12 PM

I was sure that there is no thief ! So these must be sended to Japan to show them what is going on

Yes, someone should check if the crime of theft was reported by Gox to the police at all.
V4Vendettas

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:56:56 PM

@ Finnminer nice post and yes coincidence indeed.

Armis (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:59:30 PM

If anyone is from Japan, please check if MtGox reported the theft to the local police.

If yes, which addresses the stolen coins were sent.

If not, please report the theft based on MtGox's statements. Not sure about how it's done in Japan, but when you report a crime, police is bound by law to look for evidence of the crime (Gox employee interogation inclusive).

You have a point there, looking at the translated version of the reorganization plea I did a search for 'stolen' which hit twice, I could not determine if the language surrounding it was speculation about a crime taking place and a suggestion that a criminal investigation commence; or a formal complaint that they believe a crime took place with the formal request for the criminal investigation.  

So, I agree with you, someone with standing in japan should make the police and/or fed agency criminal complaint.  
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:28:02 PM

The coins are directly linked to known Gox addresses. See reddit for more info.

The coins are split in about half and moved to new addresses immediately after they get 6 confirmations. They are down to around 10k per address now:

This looks really bad.  Anyone with any standing in the bankruptcy should file something IMMEDIATELY before the contents of these addresses get sent through mixers to God knows where.

Because this looks like Gox/Magikarpeles is preparing to abscond.

(Alternately, it could actually have something to do with the bankruptcy authorities themselves, since the feds did something similar with Silk Road funds.  But it should be known why this money is moving around now of all times.)
Finnminer

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:48:49 PM

The coins are now in several hundred new addresses with 300-2000 BTC each. If it's actually using the splitBigOutputs() function they should end up in 30k different addresses holding less than 10 BTC each.
Predatorian

Activity: 70

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:01:56 PM

The coins are now in several hundred new addresses with 300-2000 BTC each. If it's actually using the splitBigOutputs() function they should end up in 30k different addresses holding less than 10 BTC each.
This.

Yes probably u are right, it's really unfortunately for all people who lost btc in that way.

Armis (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:36:59 PM

the more the coins are handled the more foot/finger prints are made visible and the more connections could be made

for example, in order to mix you must go to a mixer their computer records will show the coins going in by x isp at y timestamp

that mixer will either cooperate or be materially embroiled in a criminal investigation

now with that isp as the finger print you could look for other places where that isp has engaged other mixers, exchanges, etc ...

eventually the electronic finger prints and foot prints will lead to humans who will need to explain.  If the prints are MK, MG employees, and or relatives of either arrests would be.

McKinley

Activity: 72

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:45:47 PM

the more the coins are handled the more foot/finger prints are made visible and the more connections could be made

for example, in order to mix you must go to a mixer their computer records will show the coins going in by x isp at y timestamp

that mixer will either cooperate or be materially embroiled in a criminal investigation

now with that isp as the finger print you could look for other places where that isp has engaged other mixers, exchanges, etc ...

eventually the electronic finger prints and foot prints will lead to humans who will need to explain.  If the prints are MK, MG employees, and or relatives of either arrests would be.

AND, whatever "mixer" it would be - it would have to have an at least about equal amount of BTC at the time of mixing to be able to cover any tracks... If 200K + 1K per day go in and 201K go mixed out, this is quite traceable, too.
itsunderstood

Activity: 364

American1973

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:11:21 PM

@ Finnminer nice post and yes coincidence indeed.

This.  Nice sleuthing Finnminer.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:18:19 PM

This.

Yes probably u are right, it's really unfortunately for all people who lost btc in that way.

Understand, though, that if it stops at 30k addresses with 10BTC in each this could be interpreted as a positive sign, as it would mirror what looks like Gox's hot wallet loading procedure.

If it keeps going then I suppose we keep watching, with a sinking feeling.  Undecided

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
itsunderstood

Activity: 364

American1973

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:47:16 PM

Understand, though, that if it stops at 30k addresses with 10BTC in each this could be interpreted as a positive sign, as it would mirror what looks like Gox's hot wallet loading procedure.

If it keeps going then I suppose we keep watching, with a sinking feeling.  Undecided

Fingerprint-capture every moment of the blockchain now, robotically.  There are many smart people out there and they will follow the coins like in the Pirates(tm) movies, they will never stop analyzing the blockchain.

Also, indeed, if the Goxxies spent their energy hack SHA-256, they would probably have it done long before the BTC blockchain reaches event horizon.  I think the collegiate-papered-cryptohackkids have a new method now, and they have gotten SHA-256 from 24 rounds to 55 rounds or something, that's a doubling in 3 years?  So, indeed the investors have a technical bottled genie now.  I would say bots will subsume and own the BTC blockchain soon, and this future, is being seeded now, with 10% of the coins being "ghostcoins", essentially lost forever?

What future does it portend?  Well, as Yoda would say: "Always in motion is the future."

But at that point in the Jedi tale, Yoda has already massively lied to the kid anyway, LOL.

Anyway, I will hold BTC and other crypto long.  That is my disclaimer.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
shunt1

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:57:09 PM

"Understand, though, that if it stops at 30k addresses with 10BTC in each this could be interpreted as a positive sign, as it would mirror what looks like Gox's hot wallet loading procedure."

I fully agree and that is why I am so excited about this new development.  We can only hope...
Finnminer

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:03:50 PM

Seems like it's mostly finished already. Some branches went all the way down to addresses with less than 30 BTC, while others stopped at over 2000 BTC. Can't really think of any reasonable logic behind it. Mark does seem to like random functions though, so maybe it just randomized how far each branch was divided.

Some branches like this are still going if someone wants to follow the money:
https://blockchain.info/address/1ASkFuM3ZNU7TPqHNuDTpJch22o5FRPXxS
Armis (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:17:42 PM

Why are we not talking about the fact that the huge transaction is made up of goxcoins?

the input for the 50k is 1 address away from the 550k address that karpeles used.

=====

update:
relevant thread http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1zsw1k/while_the_press_is_focused_on_satoshi_180000/

=====

from reddit:
"More importantly, the ฿50,000 output here is zero transactions away from the ฿550,000 proof of reserves that Tux signed back in 2011: https://blockchain.info/address/1P3S1grZYmcqYDuaEDVDYobJ5Fx85E9fE9

That ฿550k transaction was made by Karpeles. The ฿50k output has been sitting there untouched since 2011."

more:

"the 424,242.42 transaction made by karpeles is only 3 transactions away from the address of this transaction (!!!) https://blockchain.info/address/1eHhgW6vquBYhwMPhQ668HPjxTtpvZGPC

these very well may be goxcoins..

source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1zsjnu/i_believe_karpeles_not_satoshi_caused_the_days/"

wut
Armis (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:19:59 PM

Someon on Reddit made a binary tree of the coins. It's a beautiful thing, I take no credit,I just stole it.

T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:27:41 PM

Someon on Reddit made a binary tree of the coins. It's a beautiful thing, I take no credit,I just stole it.

Looks like those coins are partying away in there, oblivious to all the distress they're causing.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: