Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:22:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GOX] Crime Scene Investigation, Case #MG744  (Read 46966 times)
shunt1

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:51:51 PM

That chart is exactly what the customers of MtGox need to be doing.  We have nothing but rumors, "leaked" documents, IRC chats and official legal documents to work with.

But as we all know, every bitcoin transaction can be tracked on the blockchain and those are the only  FACTS!

So far, this is getting me rather excited today.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Loozik

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:15:59 PM

That chart is exactly what the customers of MtGox need to be doing.  We have nothing but rumors, "leaked" documents, IRC chats and official legal documents to work with.

But as we all know, every bitcoin transaction can be tracked on the blockchain and those are the only  FACTS!

Yes, keep to facts and evidence. Discard the noise (''leaked'' documents, irc chats, etc.). Just keep tracking coins.
Armis (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 12:10:24 AM

Yes, keep to facts and evidence. Discard the noise (''leaked'' documents, irc chats, etc.). Just keep tracking coins.

the funny thing about investigation is sometimes patterns reveal evidence that is not otherwise obvious, sometimes 'side conversations' enable words, phrases, and opinions to be heard in different or more enlightening ways, and just like reading the same study material the 4th time extracts the 'a ha' moment the first 3x didn't.

if everyone contributes what they can, how they can, it will all come together
Armis (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 01:53:47 AM

Whistleblower Threatens to Expose Corruption at Bitcoin Foundation
http://valleywag.gawker.com/whistleblower-threatens-to-expose-corruption-at-bitcoin-1538965958/@laceydonohue

If a breathless car chase wasn't cinematic enough to make you care about Bitcoin, how about a whistleblower threatening to publish an expose about corrupt elders and ominously signing off: "You have 72 hours"?

An "entrepreneur and former venture capitalist" who goes by the handle the Two-Bit Idiot declared "war" today in a blog post entitled Coup or Death for the Bitcoin Foundation? The blogger, whose name is Ryan Selkis, previously talked to Fortune's Dan Primack about leaking documents about Mt. Gox. In today's post, he threatened to publish a searing expose on Monday unless two of its board members resign. TBI also claims that the foundation's corporate sponsors "discouraged" him from airing Bitcoin's filthy laundry.

According to TBI, chairman Peter Vessenes and executive director Jon Matonis are not "ethically entitled" to retain their board seats in the Seattle-based non-profit because conflicts of interest and gross negligence. The most damning allegations are related to the disastrous implosion of Mt. Gox. In the early days, Mt. Gox was the largest Bitcoin exchange and a tent pole for the budding economy, hiding questionable practices.

TBI says Vessnes and Matonis got their money out through connections with Mt. Gox CEO Mark Karpeles, while $473 million swirled down the blockchain drain (emphasis mine):

On Monday, I plan to publish a full article which elaborates on these damning facts and much more:

1) The Foundation never once warned Bitcoin investors about keeping deposits in Mt. Gox, despite clear red flags dating back to at least April 2013. Nor did the Foundation craft or advocate for best practices such as technical transparency, deposit audits, or appropriate consumer protection disclosures. This was a colossal failure of leadership.

2) There is evidence that Bitcoin Foundation board members may have had direct access to Mark Karpeles which allowed them to personally deposit and withdraw funds from Mt. Gox, despite persistent delays for other customers.

3) There is a troubling and inappropriate overlap between Peter Vessenes' staff at his private company, CoinLab, and the Bitcoin Foundation's staff, which goes far beyond shared office space.

4) The current leadership has shown a stunning disregard for proper communications with its members. The importance of immediate resignations (rather than gradual) is highlighted by the Board's secret plans to move the Foundation's headquarters to London without input from members and sponsors.

5) Peter Vessenes has had a nine month conflict of interest regarding Mt. Gox given that his company CoinLab was involved in an active multi-million dollar lawsuit against Mark Karpeles and Mt. Gox, following a failed partnership. Both men remained on the board of directors, and the Foundation failed to draft adequate by-laws that would allow them to address situations such as this where directors had material conflicts, which would compromise their ability to act in the best interests of its members.

This egregious behavior and negligence may not be the worst of the information to come. I have been unable to reach representatives of the Foundation for comment on a myriad of other accounting issues related to the treatment of member donations.
True believers like to tout the fact that Bitcoin is intentionally decentralized, so an industry group like the foundation is about as close to an authority figure or overseer as you're going to get. The agency's website says:

Bitcoin Foundation standardizes, protects and promotes the use of Bitcoin cryptographic money for the benefit of users worldwide.

TBI claims Vessenes and Matonis are at fault, rather than the foundation itself. But it's worth noting that both Krebeles and Charlie Shrem, the indicted founder of BitInstant, were formerly board members:

And for better or for worse, with all of its blue-chip sponsors and leading role to date in events such as the Senate Bitcoin hearings and NYDFS BitLicense hearings, the Foundation is the mouthpiece for the entire industry.

Peter Vessenes and Jon Matonis are not scapegoats. They are not innocent bystanders. And they are not ethically entitled to remain in their board seats through later this year.

TBI also claims that the foundation's corporate sponsors told him to keep his mouth shut, but doesn't name said sponsors. This list of platinum, gold, and silver foundation members mainly includes Bitcoin startups. Previous donors to the foundation include Wordpress and Fred Wilson from Union Square Ventures. Among investors, the most prominent and full-throated support has come from Andreessen Horowitz, which recently invested $25 million in Coinbase.

From TBI's blog post:

At this week's Texas Bitcoin Conference, I was fortified by near-unanimous agreement (and, at times, applause) that the current leadership must resign or be forced out of their positions on the Foundation. Yet I have also been warned that I am playing a dangerous game, with cunning and ruthless power brokers. I have been discouraged by corporate sponsors of the Foundation not to make a public stink which would be "counter-productive" and "irresponsible" for Bitcoin. Most would prefer to let the Mt. Gox scandal blow over, but I would rather wipe the slate clean definitively, blood or no.
TBI describes himself as a "truth-teller," making "the business case for #Bitcoin on its journey from speculative investment to world-changing utility" and clearly sees himself as the Edward Snowden of cryptocurrency.

What if someone spends Bitcoin to take him out before he can send documents to The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and others? TBI's got it covered:

If I get hit by a bus this weekend, my lawyers will release it.
If you have any information to share about the Bitcoin Foundation, please email nitasha@gawker.com.

Update: A previous version of this post said TBI was anonymous. His name is Ryan Selkis, as he acknowledged in this interview with Fortune.
itsunderstood

Activity: 364

American1973

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:11:04 AM

[...]

as the Edward Snowden of cryptocurrency.

[...]

I would like to see EDWARD HIMSELF, become the Edward Snowden of cryptocurrency, unless he is a technical dumbshit?  Why does this man get to sit back as "Admin Prime" and not give his in depth opinion about tech in general?

Edward:  In order to remain smart, you need to show your smartness, not just run and hide.  This is hilarious, we have a technical revolution front with a leader who lives in a Marxist country and has ntohing to say about theft in general.

I am not convinced that Edward Snowden has much ability to analyze any fucking thing except his own definitions of America, which I MIGHT share, if he or any of these supposed heroes, would fucking step to the mic and TALK.

Anyway, TBI used to mean Throttle Body Injection like what puts fuel into my Chevy.  Now TBI means Two Bit Idiot, and I like that.  Go man.  Go.  Because when smart people speak up, it becomes obvious how few smart people are in charge.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
V4Vendettas

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:57:30 AM

Someon on Reddit made a binary tree of the coins. It's a beautiful thing, I take no credit,I just stole it.

Its so beautiful  but it makes me feel Grin Cry Honestly been waiting to start seeing the abstract art in bitcoin come to life.

I guess that's the one good thing to come from this goxxing.

Finnminer

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:38:21 AM

If it's actually using the splitBigOutputs() function they should end up in 30k different addresses holding less than 10 BTC each.
It seems that exactly this happened. The addresses that already are down to below 10 BTC have stopped splitting. Others that still contain more are continuing to split. I think this implies pretty strongly that Gox still controls the coins. The good thing is that they still exist. That bad thing is that they chose to lie about it so they probably weren't planning on returning them..
Armis (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:24:44 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 06:37:08 AM by Armis

http://www.coindesk.com/gox-money-moving-through-block-chain/

$113m in Gox Money Believed To Be Moving Through Block Chain

Danny Bradbury (@dannybradbury) | Published on March 7, 2014 at 23:24 GMT | Blockchain, Companies, Exchanges, Mt. Gox, News,

Large amounts of bitcoins previously handled by Mt Gox, which have lain dormant for years, have started moving on the block chain.

Since the exchange blew up at the end of last month, people have been wondering where the stolen coins went, and have tried to trace some movements between Gox addresses. One participant on the bitcoin talk forum recalled an IRC conversation between Gox CEO Mark Karpeles and various users, which allegedly took place on June 23, 2011.

During their conversation, Karpeles (a.k.a. MagicalTux) offered to demonstrate that the exchange owned large numbers of coins, by sending a uniquely identifiable amount to a given address. He sent 424242.42424242 bitcoins to a specific address beginning with 1eHhgW6vquBY. Sure enough, they showed up.

A few weeks later, that large amount of bitcoins was broken into two smaller amounts. Then, more transactions occurred, peeling off 50,000 bitcoins at a time into separate wallets, possibly as a means of moving them into cold storage.

Most of these 50,000 bitcoin wallets were recombined on 16 November, 2011, into two separate wallets. One of these contained 500,000 bitcoins, while the other contained 50,000.

The 50,000 bitcoin address was created on that date, and was then dormant until July, 2012, when it began receiving small transactions along with several other outputs. However, no coins left that wallet, until today, when its 50,000 bitcoins were sent to another address, as part of outputs from various bitcoin addresses totalling 180,000 bitcoins ($113 million).

Since then, these coins have been rapidly splitting, with coins being subdivided repeatedly. One branch was found to have been splitting every 30 minutes in what appeared to be an automated fashion. This suggests that there may be some code splitting the coins.

We don’t know for certain that the 50,000-bitcoin address is indeed owned by Mt Gox, but it seems likely. The other, larger, wallet went through several transactions, with the bulk of the coins being sent to an address that was verified as Mt Gox-owned on the block chain.

The leaked Mt Gox crisis strategy document claims assets of 2,000 bitcoins, contained in a hot wallet, adding that the cold storage had been wiped out.

Why now?

So, why is this happening now? One explanation is that it makes the coins easier to use for a high volume of transactions. When bitcoins are sent, all the funds held in a particular address are sent, and the ‘change’ – the part that is surplus to requirements – is sent to a change address, usable by the sender. However, the block chain has to confirm that the change has been returned before it can be reused.

If you were to try and send bitcoins to lots of users very frequently from one address containing a lot of bitcoins, then you would have to wait 10 minutes or more for the block chain to confirm your returned change, before conducting your next transaction.

Core bitcoin developer Gregory Maxwell also suggested that this was a Mt Gox transaction, based on interactions that he had with the Mt Gox API.

Maxwell also argued that the splitting behaviour is consistent with a function in the leaked source code from Mt Gox. This suggests that some of the coins have been dropped into the Mt Gox online wallet, and that the system is now automatically breaking them up, he said.
sikke

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 11:59:01 AM

If it's actually using the splitBigOutputs() function they should end up in 30k different addresses holding less than 10 BTC each.
It seems that exactly this happened. The addresses that already are down to below 10 BTC have stopped splitting. Others that still contain more are continuing to split. I think this implies pretty strongly that Gox still controls the coins. The good thing is that they still exist. That bad thing is that they chose to lie about it so they probably weren't planning on returning them..

Lost coins cant be moved. Mark Karples has turned himself in.. wtf going on, if he wanted to steal these why turn yourself in. Whos moving the coins.

is it Skynet  Grin

Maybe Skynet took over Gox.
mastah_ob1

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 12:49:03 PM

Some scary shit here... havn't read all but someone just took out 40k and 50k from the adresses posted earlier at same time!

https://blockchain.info/address/1P3S1grZYmcqYDuaEDVDYobJ5Fx85E9fE9
https://blockchain.info/address/1cXNTyXj4xPGopfYZNY5xfSM1EPJJvBZV

you propably noticed but iam just saying :d
Loozik

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 12:56:26 PM

What does the emperor do when the masses are unhappy (because they were robbed)? You guessed it - the emperor does olympics or other cheap gimmicks to distract the masses.

So you got your Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto or will get something else.

What does the prime minister do when masses are unhappy (because they were robbed)? You guessed it - the prime minister fires the already wealthy minister or a secretary or issues a new regulation or something like that.

So you will be getting a member of TBI fired or not fired, or something like that.

Don't get distracted. The only source of objective information for you is the blockchain. So far only blockchain will let you find your formerly owned coins.
broolstoryco

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

Enemy of the State

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:43:57 PM

update, Via reddit

MtGox appears to be processing a large chunk of withdrawals. Can the Blockchain experts please correlate if any of the coins moved yesterday were used to pay any of these? You can see the inputs from the API

https://data.mtgox.com/api/0/bitcoin_tx.php

copied a snapshot: http://codepad.org/glJp6iVE

I traced one of the TXids (taken directly from the mtgox.com api page) back to the 180k wallet https://blockchain.info/address/1KecDYadohxk8MCDqKF8SBEMhCUNveAsCj

txID: https://blockchain.info/tx/00192a3033637161bcfabb0cecb811df1f038a5a2efafa71ecba0a56e53e0426

Just follow the inputs for a couple of addresses, you will get to the 180k one.

This is PROOF gox controlled the 180k.

Source:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1zw1xe/blockchain_analysis_required/
zyk

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 03:29:15 PM

What does the emperor do when the masses are unhappy (because they were robbed)? You guessed it - the emperor does olympics or other cheap gimmicks to distract the masses.

So you got your Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto or will get something else.

What does the prime minister do when masses are unhappy (because they were robbed)? You guessed it - the prime minister fires the already wealthy minister or a secretary or issues a new regulation or something like that.

So you will be getting a member of TBI fired or not fired, or something like that.

Don't get distracted. The only source of objective information for you is the blockchain. So far only blockchain will let you find your formerly owned coins.

If you forget to trace the Fiat heist and subsequently put a dollar claim on the criminals to get them cuffed urgently, all blockchain watching is the real distraction which

enables them to walk away scott free !
Loozik

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:14:49 PM

If you forget to trace the Fiat heist ...

You can't trace fiat. You do not have tools to do so (but it would be nice if you had such tools). Only bank clerks and police can do it at the moment.

What bank clerks and police won't do is blockchain analysis (they neither care nor understand).
Armis (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:32:27 PM

If you forget to trace the Fiat heist ...

You can't trace fiat. You do not have tools to do so (but it would be nice if you had such tools). Only bank clerks and police can do it at the moment.

What bank clerks and police won't do is blockchain analysis (they neither care nor understand).

true, but there we go again with that ancillary mention that may turn out to be a pearl of wisdom in disguise -- 'no one talking about the fiat'
perhaps that is a different line of entry to be considered for authorities

in fact I read of one guy who indicated that he sold his btc, transferred it to fiat, requested a wire but it was never processed going back to October or November
freedombit

Activity: 274

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:12:17 PM

AGREED - KEEP FOLLOWING THE COINS.

To add to this, which may be obvious to some:

1) Coins don't move by themselves. People move them. There is a 850k pool of Bitcoin all connected by one element: they are all lost via MtGox. All it takes is ONE transaction, regardless of size, that has a PERSON attached to it. Anyone trying to use or move even a SATOSHI from this pool is risking exposure due to subsequent / downstream spending. Tough to use 850k when this can happen. The entire Blockchain can be traced back to the first Bitcoin.

2 a) We are following large chunks of 40k, 50, 200k, and 180k Bitcoins. Be careful not to loose track of coin movements in smaller amounts - don't just follow thew 200k when another 500k could be getting moved around in sub 1btc amounts. The 200k itself may be a distraction.

2 b) Do we know the REAL total amount of debt and assets held by MtGox? The leaked Emergency Plan and Application for Civil Rehabilitation appear to be conflicting in the total indebtedness. 750btc + 100 btc vs. 6.5 billion Yen. 200k btc is not 750btc. Why are we lowering our expectations of the Bitcoin protocol. (Yeah, we found 200btc, now we can each get 200btc of 850btc back! We each get 1/4 of our investment back.) I've been under the impression from the technicians that the Bitcoin protocol is better than this. We should expect 100% resolution.

3) Bitcoin is based on a trust-less system, yet, not everyone has a) the ability to learn about every working pieces of the protocol or b0 the time to do so. In the end TRUST is required at some level. TRUST is more valuable than any money, because all money is based on TRUST. For Bitcoin to succeed: the masses must TRUST the entrepreneurs, business owners, politicians and money managers who must TRUST the technicians who must TRUST the protocol and its very source. If the TRUST chain is broken at any level, then the Blockchain is worthless.

4) Sometimes TRUST is broken due to mistakes. TRUST can be repaired, albeit slowly, with WORK and FORGIVENESS.

If there are any technicians that would like to rebuild my trust, feel free to reach out. There are at least three of you that have been very silent in the last few weeks, I assume dealing with the broken TRUST. I hope to regain TRUST from you very soon. I am easy to find, not hiding, you know how to reach me.

To the technicians doing the research, THANK YOU. If funds are retrieved and returned, Bitcoin will have my full support and it will be stronger than ever. Until then TRUST chain is broken.

Loozik

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:28:34 PM

AGREED - KEEP FOLLOWING THE COINS.

When things start to turn from civil rehabilitation into criminal (or earlier, e.g. when we find someone who can contact Japanese criminal police*), we'll simply give to authorities (police / prosectors and others) a list of addresses / transactions that we suspect have / had the stolen coins.

Then the authorities will turn to exchanges to identify who sold these coins to unrelated buyers / bought back these coins using dark pools.

When authorities have both fiat records and associated / linked bitcoin records / clues, it will be easier for them to connect the dots, finish their investigation quicker, and hopefully we'll know the thuth.

* is it possible to establish who are the detectives at Japanese criminal police that deal with this MtGox's theft?
Zeta0S
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:29:43 PM

Someon on Reddit made a binary tree of the coins. It's a beautiful thing, I take no credit,I just stole it.

Its so beautiful  but it makes me feel Grin Cry Honestly been waiting to start seeing the abstract art in bitcoin come to life.

I guess that's the one good thing to come from this goxxing.
looks like cancer to me Undecided

Get a HUGE 3% discount with promo code: MOON @ Genesis Mining
https://www.genesis-mining.com
Armis (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 01:31:20 AM

Additional data to corroborate, delineate, compare, contrast, highlight, and/or provide a pattern

source:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83794.0

June 2011 Mt. Gox Incident
Time: June 19, 2011, 06:00:00 PM ± 1 h (theft), days ensuing (hacks & withdrawals)
Victim: Mt. Gox (some claim also customers)
Amount:
Stolen by thief: 2000 BTC[4]
Additional withdrawn from Mt. Gox: 643.27 BTC[5] (lower bound)
Total: Lower bound 2643.27 BTC
Equivalent USD: 46970.91 $ (trades on Mt. Gox not reliable at the time)
Equivalent in June 2013 BTC: 473 BTC
Transactions: none released officially
Mt. Gox, then the leading BTC/USD exchange service, suffered a severe breach as a consequence of an ownership change. The sale conditions involved a share of revenue to be remitted to the seller. To audit this revenue, the seller was permitted an account with administrator access.[4]

The seller's administrator account was hacked by an unknown process. The priveleges were then abused to generate humungous quantities of BTC. None of the BTC, however, was backed by Mt. Gox. The attackers sold the BTC generated, driving Mt. Gox BTC prices down to cents. They then purchased the cheap BTC with their own accounts and withdrew the money. Some additional money was stolen by non-attacking traders capitalizing on the dropping price and withdrawing in time, including toasty, a member of BitcoinTalk.

Mt. Gox resolved the hack by reverting trades to a previous version. Many customers claim they have lost money from this reversion, but Mt. Gox claims it has reimbursed all customers fully for this theft. After the incident, Mt. Gox shut down for several days.[6]

The event's scale was widely disputed; some report a theft of almost 500000 BTC due to related account hacking. However, these reports are sparse and disreputable. Closer inspection puts the losses at closer to 2500 BTC.

Aside from the direct damages of the theft, the hack involved a database leak. Some weaker passwords were used to conduct the relatively more severe Mass MyBitcoin Thefts.

Mass MyBitcoin Thefts
NB: Not to be confused with the far more severe MyBitcoin Theft.
Time: 2011-06-20 through 2011-06-21
Victim: MyBitcoin users with weak account passwords
Amount: Exactly 4019.42939378 BTC
Equivalent in June 2013 BTC: 712 BTC
Transactions: all to 1MAazCWMydsQB5ynYXqSGQDjNQMN3HFmEu[7]
Users with weak passwords on MyBitcoin who used the same password on Mt. Gox were in for a surprise after the June 2011 Mt. Gox Incident allowed weakly-salted hashes of all Mt. Gox user passwords to be leaked. These passwords were then hacked on MyBitcoin and a significant amount of money lost.[8]

MyBitcoin estimates indicate 1% of MyBitcoin users were affected.[8] Users that were not affected would be later stolen from anyways, due to the subsequent MyBitcoin Theft.

MyBitcoin Theft
Time: Unknown time in July 2011 (claimed it was a process)
Victim: MyBitcoin & customers
Status: Thief unknown, planned shutdown suspected (disputed theft)
Suspects: “Tom Williams”, likely pseudonym (founder of MyBitcoin)
Amount: Exactly 78739.58205388 BTC
Equivalent USD: 1110544 $ (wt. avg, definitely >$1M, rounded to nearest $)
Equivalent in June 2013 BTC: 10600 BTC
Transaction information: none
Little information was released about the MyBitcoin theft, however, many argue that Tom Williams ran it as a scam (and was not a theft per se). In terms of both dollars and bitcoins, this was by far the largest theft, however, it is possible it was simply a scam. Although MyBitcoin offered to release its code as a gift to the community, it failed to follow through on that promise. In the months ensuing, some evidence has been uncovered supporting mortgage broker Bruce Wagner; however, any evidence is inconclusive.

The theft resulted in the closure of MyBitcoin, which was once a successful Bitcoin company in Bitcoin's early days.

Bitomat.pl Loss
Type: Loss
Time: 2011-07-26
Victim: Bitomat.pl
Amount: Estimate 17000 BTC (likely estimate/lower bound, no tx due to technical reason)
Equivalent USD: 236000 $ (rounded to nearest thousand)
Equivalent in June 2013 BTC: 2290 BTC
Bitomat.pl, during a server restart, had its remote Amazon service that housed the wallet wiped. No backups were kept. Mt. Gox later bailed bitomat.pl out, and neither customers nor original owners suffered any loss from the incident.

October 2011 Mt. Gox Loss
Type: Loss
Time: 2011-10-28T21:11 (UTC) [blockchain time, off by up to three hours]
Victim: Mt. Gox
Amount: Exactly 2609.36304319 BTC
Equivalent USD: 8115.12 $ (wt. avg price)
Equivalent in June 2013 BTC: 82.0 BTC
Transactions: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. Gox fully reimbursed customers after this incident.

lorix

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 05:02:21 AM

Just to throw a spanner in the works - is there a possibility that these active coins being tracked were used for staff payments and/or executive bonuses?

I could understand staff entitlements being handed over to a separate entity that was created by or related to Gox such as an employee fund. I'm not sure what staff entitlement protection laws are like in Japan (perhaps someone can elaborate on that) but if this is the case it would explain why such funds are not included as a Gox asset.

In addition to shielding funds from bankruptcy procedures it might also serve as an excellent means of ensuring the silence of ex-employees who don't want to risk the loss of their entitlements.

Thoughts?

Proud family man, futurist and all-round Bitcoin fanatic! Smiley
1KBN5gTzX3ECSu9XHrsZJPsMn7vjT67ciF
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: