Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:26:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Libertarians Are Sociopaths  (Read 11641 times)
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 09:30:53 PM

If you have ever read her magnum opus, Atlas Shrugged and recognized it for what it really is, a philosophy book wrapped up as a work of fiction, it's pretty obvious that she didn't feel this way when the book was written.  The main character has many famous lines, not the least of which, involves John Galt telling another character to lead a moral life by never letting the word "give" cross her lips.

I read the book differently. To me, the primary thrust of what you write about the word "give", was to never allow anyone to use the concept "required to give" as a weapon against you. To use it as a weapon requires the sanction of the victim.

However, there are many examples of people making sacrifices themselves for the good of another. But none are required to make these sacrifices. They all do it willingly because to avoid the responsibility would compromise their own self interests.

To anyone who hasn't read Atlas Shrugged. Read it. It's huge but there is not a second of wasted time in it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rainingbitcoins (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 02:01:16 PM

Answer my question, Atlas.

e: based on my interactions with you in that other thread, there is no way in hell you're not Atlas

I doubt it.  Atlas was a hardcore objectivist.  Ayn Rand's root premise regarding charity was that it always did more harm than good, and that (as an atheist) she believed that the Judeo-Christian tradition of aiding the poor was BS.

Atlas has said a number of times that he doesn't follow Rand to the exclusion of all else. Also "I. Goldstein" never did answer the damn question.

Quote from: Atlas
Behold the inefficiency of government.

Except when it turns out to be terribly efficient. But in those cases you can just blame government intervention in private enterprise (no matter how much or little there happens to be) for the failures of private enterprise rather than having to face the truth.

Fucking inefficient big government. What have they ever done for humanity besides getting us to the moon and inventing the Internet?

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 03:23:18 PM

Fucking inefficient big government. What have they ever done for humanity besides getting us to the moon and inventing the Internet?

"getting us to the Moon".   You're a member of the Apolo expedition??

JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 03:43:35 PM

Yes, what have they ever done for us?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 05:42:51 PM

The government did not invent the Internet.  At most, the Defense budget paid for it.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 06:10:59 PM

The government did not invent the Internet.  At most, the Defense budget paid for it.

In order for his argument to hold any water, he'd have to additionally argue that without DARPA funding, a computer network such as the internet would not have been created.

Further, the internet didn't flourish (or indeed become known as the internet) until it was privatized.
BitterTea

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 06:13:12 PM

Yes, what have they ever done for us?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

Here's what they've done for us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_by_death_toll
JA37

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 07:38:01 PM

Are you saying that without governments there'd be no wars? For real?

Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
BitterTea

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 07:47:48 PM

Yep. Wars are expensive and destructive. They can only be paid for through taxes. Any private entity which engaged in war would quickly lose support of its customers and go out of business. There's no incentive to do so.
I.Goldstein

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 07:51:04 PM

I disagree. If governments were a lot smaller and more decentralized there would be fewer and less devastating wars. There would be conflict but it would be very small skirmishes.
BitterTea

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 07:53:42 PM

I disagree. If governments were a lot smaller and more decentralized there would be fewer and less devastating wars. There would be conflict but it would be very small skirmishes.

If big governments mean big wars, small governments mean small wars, why wouldn't no governments mean no wars?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 07:56:44 PM

If big governments mean big wars, small governments mean small wars, why wouldn't no governments mean no wars?

The wars would be reduced in scope, but a fued between large family clans (hatfields and McCoys?) is still a war of sorts.  However, the scale of the conflict does matter.  The other people who live in the area are likely to intercede.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
I.Goldstein

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 07:57:47 PM

There will always be government. Anarchy is only a decentralized society with very small governments possibly to the scale of individuals, if we are ever strong enough.
JA37

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 07:58:05 PM

Yep. Wars are expensive and destructive. They can only be paid for through taxes. Any private entity which engaged in war would quickly lose support of its customers and go out of business. There's no incentive to do so.

So the tribal wars in Africa are ... what? Or the drug wars in South America? From what I can tell they seem to exist without government.
Or is any entity with power to rule over others a government, even a voluntarily selected entity?

I.Goldstein

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 08:10:12 PM

So the tribal wars in Africa are ... what? Or the drug wars in South America?
Instigated by the UN and/or larger nations.
BitterTea

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 08:16:14 PM

There will always be government. Anarchy is only a decentralized society with very small governments possibly to the scale of individuals, if we are ever strong enough.

So let's instead talk about the nation-state. That is really what is being discussed when we talk about government today, since that is the most prevalent kind.

War, as we know it, will cease to exist with the abolition (through knowledge of its nature) of the nation-state. It is only possible to fund such large, devastating conflicts through the use of taxation.

Agree?
I.Goldstein

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 08:17:29 PM

So let's instead talk about the nation-state. That is really what is being discussed when we talk about government today, since that is the most prevalent kind.

War, as we know it, will cease to exist with the abolition (through knowledge of its nature) of the nation-state. It is only possible to fund such large, devastating conflicts through the use of taxation.

Agree?

Agreed. However, in the end, all we are doing is scaling down sovereignty. Small sovereignty equals little to no wars.
BitterTea

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 08:17:32 PM

So the tribal wars in Africa are ... what?

Not even in the same ball park as the wars waged by nation-states, if they can even be called wars at all.

Or the drug wars in South America?

You mean the ones caused by nation states prohibiting the production, distribution, and use of certain substances?
I.Goldstein

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 08:18:27 PM

So the tribal wars in Africa are ... what?

Not even in the same ball park as the wars waged by nation-states, if they can even be called wars at all.

Eh, the most murder occurs in African civil wars, my friend. Millions of lives. The UN rapes the remains.
BitterTea

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 08:20:30 PM

Eh, the most murder occurs in African civil wars my friend. Millions of lives. The UN rapes the remains.

Is that what he was referring to by "tribal wars"?

The Rwandan military and Hutu militia groups, notably the Interahamwe, systematically set out to murder all the Tutsis they could reach
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: