Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:09:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spike finished, going back to 2  (Read 5148 times)
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:38:07 PM

I've heard that people in Asia will pay an absurd amount of money for phone numbers with 'lucky' numbers and such.

Seems to me that Bitcoin addresses could be generated at a very fast rate.  There's a business opportunity for someone.
The problem is, once someone gives you a novelty address and its private key, that person also has your private key, so could steal your bitcoins if you put any on there. This makes it hard to generate any for someone else, unless this person really trusts you.

I wanted to test out my instawallet thingy so I just sent you a little something.
Thanks Cheesy That's pretty awesome Smiley It shows up in the pending transactions, so I guess your instawallet works Smiley

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:43:56 PM

I've heard that people in Asia will pay an absurd amount of money for phone numbers with 'lucky' numbers and such.

Seems to me that Bitcoin addresses could be generated at a very fast rate.  There's a business opportunity for someone.
The problem is, once someone gives you a novelty address and its private key, that person also has your private key, so could steal your bitcoins if you put any on there. This makes it hard to generate any for someone else, unless this person really trusts you.

Not to be too droll about things, but that seems to be the opposite of a 'problem' for a good number of Bitcoin entrepreneurs these days.

But for the rest, how about this modification:

A utility which a user can run in the privacy of their own home which will look for magic addresses meeting some criteria of interest to the user.  Open source it, of course, to lower the paranoia about back doors.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
BTCurious

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 07:51:20 PM

Not to be too droll about things, but that seems to be the opposite of a 'problem' for a good number of Bitcoin entrepreneurs these days.
Yes, I thought about that too. Actually it would be better to provide a site that gets you a novelty address, then allows you to upload your wallet.dat, they insert the novelty address into your wallet, and you can download it again.
This would be ideal.

But for the rest, how about this modification:

A utility which a user can run in the privacy of their own home which will look for magic addresses meeting some criteria of interest to the user.  Open source it, of course, to lower the paranoia about back doors.
This is actually a good idea, but has been done. It was a bit of a hype in June/July. I made my own generator, although samr7's version is much better: Vanitygen

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
October 27, 2011, 08:12:17 PM

Given that Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme in it's death throes, and so many people 'know' this, it seems like a no-brainer to keep on adding to a maintenance account.
People with sufficient foresight, and also convinced of this viewpoint, will be doing exactly that.

Doesn't necessarily mean the viewpoint is correct though.

On a totally unrelated note, that IS a rather cool address:

1Ga9Dizn1p6ctGWausC1osLSrXFdioxide

Without consulting a periodic table, I think I see Gallium, Tungsten, Carbon, Strontium and Florine.  And sort of Zink, Gold, Osmium.  I'll have to look for such things in other addresses.

Thanks Cheesy
Heh, never looked at it like that. With consulting a periodic table, I get:
1 Gallium 9D (iodine) (zinc) 1 (phosphorus) 6 (carbon) tG Tungsten (gold) (silicon) Carbon 1 (osmium) L Strontium X Fluorine dioxide.
Bracketed ones are with incorrect capitalization.

Too bad no one loves breathing though Tongue The only 0.001 BTC at that address is me testing it, IIRC Tongue

Could someone with chemistry understanding tell me what is that molecule and any interesting facts about it please?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 05:34:03 AM

Given that Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme in it's death throes, and so many people 'know' this, it seems like a no-brainer to keep on adding to a maintenance account.
People with sufficient foresight, and also convinced of this viewpoint, will be doing exactly that.

Price is going up again and it's 22:30 here on the West Coast.  I hope that people had the foresight to pump a little extra into those maintenance accounts before hitting the hay.  I guess we have another 10 or 15 cents before we hit the day's peak though.  I think it would put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day if I woke up to find my account liquidated.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 05:45:48 AM

On a totally unrelated note, that IS a rather cool address:

1Ga9Dizn1p6ctGWausC1osLSrXFdioxide

Without consulting a periodic table, I think I see Gallium, Tungsten, Carbon, Strontium and Florine.  And sort of Zink, Gold, Osmium.  I'll have to look for such things in other addresses.

Thanks Cheesy
Heh, never looked at it like that. With consulting a periodic table, I get:
1 Gallium 9D (iodine) (zinc) 1 (phosphorus) 6 (carbon) tG Tungsten (gold) (silicon) Carbon 1 (osmium) L Strontium X Fluorine dioxide.
Bracketed ones are with incorrect capitalization.

Too bad no one loves breathing though Tongue The only 0.001 BTC at that address is me testing it, IIRC Tongue

Could someone with chemistry understanding tell me what is that molecule and any interesting facts about it please?

The substance (know as 'outamyassimine') can crystallized and desiccated, then alloyed with unobtainium to create an emulsification which can catalyze and ultimately transmutate BTC into USD.

BTCurious

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 07:37:11 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2011, 08:02:33 AM by BTCurious

The substance (know as 'outamyassimine') can be crystallized and desiccated, then alloyed with unobtainium to create an emulsification which can catalyze and ultimately transmutate BTC into USD.
Some historical facts:
Outamyassimine was first named Imineoutamyass, but was generally ill-received as a name, and later changed to Outamyassimine to comply with common naming schemes.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 04:29:32 PM

Lol, OP was wrong.
BTCurious

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 04:30:19 PM

Sargent Spike is never finished!

wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 04:31:36 PM

Yes. And bought a some thousand coins at 2.1

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 04:33:21 PM

Never!

Well played then, well played.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 04:57:26 PM

Never!

i thought a 50% spike in the price is bad for Bitcoin?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2011, 05:12:26 PM

Never!

i thought a 50% spike in the price is bad for Bitcoin?
Did anyone say it wasn't?
wobber (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 03:28:53 PM

Holy crap, I'm right again!

BTCurious

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 03:30:04 PM

It's not at 2 yet Wink

Edward50

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 04:31:12 PM

You will be right again. It only takes very little bitcoins to move the price. However, it is going to be very difficult to sustain higher prices as everybody will take advantge of the higher price and start dumping. Once the price starts to get lower people will dump as they want to cash out.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
wobber (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 04:38:59 PM

You will be right again. It only takes very little bitcoins to move the price. However, it is going to be very difficult to sustain higher prices as everybody will take advantge of the higher price and start dumping. Once the price starts to get lower people will dump as they want to cash out.

One of the best things lately. And that's why the Elliot Wave Theory that netrin and others placed here is real.

HappyFunnyFoo

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2011, 05:20:14 PM

Down, down we go.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

My initial prediction of the price dropping from 20-25$ per bitcoin down to $5 was wrong, apparently.  There is less of a foundation in bitcoin's usability as a currency than even I, the most trollish bear, predicted.

Down, down we go Smiley  Bet you guys wish you had your cash in U.S. stock right now?  Ron Paul lead you astray?  Don't feel bad, don't cry too hard.
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2011, 06:09:24 PM

Down, down we go.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

My initial prediction of the price dropping from 20-25$ per bitcoin down to $5 was wrong, apparently.  There is less of a foundation in bitcoin's usability as a currency than even I, the most trollish bear, predicted.

Down, down we go Smiley  Bet you guys wish you had your cash in U.S. stock right now?  Ron Paul lead you astray?  Don't feel bad, don't cry too hard.

But...but....you said it was only going to go down to five!!!

Seriously tho, regardless of orientation.....I wouldn't touch stocks with a toxic waste handling robot right now. At least with bitcoin I am under no illusion about the risk involved, with stock...who the fuck knows at this point in time, might be good time for bargain hunting, might be too soon.....the tea leaves and charts will tell :p
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2011, 06:18:57 PM

With the price so low and the volume in dollars down, any significant trades now yank the price around by a substantial percentage.  That encourages manipulation. There's only about $250K of volume per day on Mt. Gox now, and much of that is 'bots running the same money back and forth.

Pink Sheet penny stocks show similar volatility when someone is playing them.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: