Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 01:28:46 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TA 101 with MatTheCat. Critical Turning Point Ahead?  (Read 9642 times)
Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:59:24 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2014, 08:40:59 PM by Dalmar

MatTheCat,

You should get on tradingview.com and use more indicators. Those rudimentary bitcoinwisdom lines can be misleading, using a pitchfork with a better angle gives you a clearer picture. Currently momentum on a daily chart has a downward slope and the CMF and RSI look a bit too moonish compared to the July 2013 bottom. Also, the heikin ashi daily candles look indecisive

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
wendel

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:06:37 PM

You should get on tradingview.com and use more indicators. Those rudimentary bitcoinwisdom lines can be misleading, using a pitchfork with a better angle gives you a clearer picture. Currently momentum on a daily chart has a downward angle and the CMF and RSI look a bit too moonish compared to the July 2013 bottom. Also, the heiken ashi daily candles look indecisive

Would you mind posting a picture?

Thx
W
Dalmar

Activity: 1092

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:17:57 PM

Thx
W

My charts are a bit too cluttered with various indicators and hard to read. If you go to tradingview.com and open a chart for BITSTAMP:BTCUSD you can compare those indicators (RSI/CMF) with the July 2013 bottom and the current market state. It looks quite anomalous.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:18:56 PM

You should get on tradingview.com and use more indicators. Those rudimentary bitcoinwisdom lines can be misleading, using a pitchfork with a better angle gives you a clearer picture. Currently momentum on a daily chart has a downward angle and the CMF and RSI look a bit too moonish compared to the July 2013 bottom. Also, the heiken ashi daily candles look indecisive

Thx
W

it is a really cool site, there is also chat and you can discuss your opinions with professional traders who know what they are doing, no CCMF and no to da moon and no we are going down and bitcoin dying there, only analyzes 

wendel

Activity: 90

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:32:21 PM

Tyvm for for the advice.

I followed TERA's post on how different the former "capitualtions" worked out compared to this one.

Guess you also saw it:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=489756.msg5396709#msg5396709

There is a great divergence.

On the other hand bitcoin is now in the focus of state regulatories and more or less big investors.
This massive buying power might be to support the coin in public awareness.
If the coin would go down after all the troubles in the past weeks there won't be much confidence left.
My theory is that keeping up the coin makes it look strong even after Gox problems e.g.  

Thx
W
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:34:21 PM

MatTheCat,

You should get on tradingview.com and use more indicators. Those rudimentary bitcoinwisdom lines can be misleading, using a pitchfork with a better angle gives you a clearer picture. Currently momentum on a daily chart has a downward slope and the CMF and RSI look a bit too moonish compared to the July 2013 bottom. Also, the heiken ashi daily candles look indecisive

Will be sure to check it out......I am becoming more and more aware of how blindly I have been trading. I have actually done quite well, but considering my entering the market right at November parabolic phase, I am surely lucky to still have the shirt on my back that I went in with considering my technical ignorance and the ocean of shockingly bad advice that dominates places like this, which I have put/wasted a lot of emotional energy into biting back at, which in turn negatively affects the trading mindset. One thing is for sure, if I had even the little knowledge that I now have, I would have made a shit ton more, even what I have learned in the past two days would have given me at least double on my last two large good trades (crash and post crash bounce) and have avoided many of my stupid little shitty impulse/impatience driven trades that tend to damage my profits. Knowing TA is vital to success, especially in a market filed to the brim with vast swathes of dumb money that is totally ignorant to TA.....(just as I was).

Regarding my 'call'. I will make it clear that off the two alternatives that I presented, I favour a correction down to mid $400s as an extreme as there was a shit ton of volume at that point. However, because of the mass of liquidity that I seen sucked out the market by the 10K whale at $580, I am of the opinion that if Bitcoin can get above this level and confirm it as a support on strong volume, then that has to mean something...surely?

Also for the record, I don't think a new ATH is coming any time soon. If anything, I think we will be seeing a new low (lower than $400), but not any time soon, at least not 'soon' on a Bitcoin timescale.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
hlynur

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:06:29 PM

so this is just a try,
i'm dabbling around with several indicators. (even after half a year reading up the basics i feel like an absolute newb at TA, couldn't explain most of the indicators in depth, and i mostly just get a slight feeling what could happen)
this is how my chart looks like so far:

yea, i also include moonphases  Cheesy ( i just love the two peaks during new moon)

i still find it difficult to find the right weighting of the several indicators.
4h MACD crossing is often mentioned for shorter timespans, MACD crossing overall seems to play a big role (besides RSI) according to many users' comments.
comparing the current situation (possible bearish post-GOX deathrattle phase that would take some more days,weeks...or even months who knows  Undecided)
with the bottom in July 2013 i still see a good chance to go lower.

can you guys recommend any other indicators?

@ Dalmar: what is the difference between the Chaikin Money Flow Indicator and the regular MFI?
 edit:  sorry for my lazyness, http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/chaikinoscillator.asp

chessnut
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:09:49 PM

looks good to me. 630 is the confirmation I am looking for, that would terminate the entire wedge (EW analysis) but after that...... its not gonna be a straight line unfortunately. we will likely be around 500-700 for a long time.

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:23:41 PM

Yeah, what solarguy already said: Mat, stop fucking up your trendlines. They're shaky grounds as it is (I use them myself, so I know how much they can resemble reading tea leaves), but once you declare random candle wicks "outliers" or some shit you're really giving up on any and all rigor.

That said, your actual point, I could maybe agree with. Said it myself, I at least see a proper chance now for a mid term reversal (up to a month, maybe longer). But for some reason, I'm more cautious than I ever was. To the point where I'm putting my declared goal, my holy goal, of unconditionally maximizing my coin stash (what rampion called the "land-grabbing phase") on the backburner.

My method, in the most general terms, is what I would probably call "pattern searching momentum trader"... meaning, I don't try to really predict trends, but I don't just follow them either... I try to jump onto them earlier than others, by also throwing in a bit of pattern recognition. Despite that, I don't give a shit about MACDs... or rather: they don't tell me anything important. The fast MACDs don't tell me with any kind of certainty whether a reversal is about to take place or not, and the slow ones confirm trends that I've already spotted long before.

What I'm getting at is: I'll wait it out this time. Not all in cash, hell no, but with a good share in USD still. My confirmation will come from a few 6h patterns I'm looking for, together with some volume metrics. The price chart looks okay, slightly more compatible with an impending upwards breakout rather than a continued decline, but the volume analysis doesn't look very good.

So honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of putting so much time into btc, that's why I decided to wait it out this time instead of hedging my bets by trading all the smaller swings before a mid term resolution. If it resolves upwards, fine. I'll buy in fast enough after I get a bit of confirmation. Not 580 already, like you seem to think, more in the 600 range. But it takes more than price action to convince me, volume should play along. And I'll take that hit to my coin stash if I must... I increased it by more than a fair share anyway earlier in this bear market anyway, so it's time I give back a bit to the market I guess. I'm such a saint, aren't I.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
MatTheCat (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:37:44 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2014, 10:52:10 PM by MatTheCat

Yeah, what solarguy already said: Mat, stop fucking up your trendlines. They're shaky grounds as it is (I use them myself, so I know how much they can resemble reading tea leaves), but once you declare random candle wicks "outliers" or some shit you're really giving up on any and all rigor.

It is true, when it comes to TA, I am complete novice (hence TA 101) and it also true that I am building my TA 101 interpretation on what I intuitively feel lies around the corner for Bitcoin. For the first time in a long time, I just don't have the Bitcoin fear that has made me a bear since the second $1000 - $1100 range (I never even knew what a double top was back then). I think Bitcoin right about now will prove a good investment in the medium term.

The position that I am taking, is that right now, I am shorting Bitcoin on Bitfinex. On Bitstamp where I keep the vast majority of my powder, I have buy in tranches from $505 down to $460 which would be down in the oversold range of the current long term trend, which I feel is due to reverse.

If however, we can get above 580 peaking at around 600 range before testing 580 as a support. Then I will be prepared to admit defeat on both my short and my sub $400 buy in tranches but acknowledge that a head n shoulders has occurred with two shoulders at $530 range (which we hit yesterday evening) and buy in on trend reversal confirmation.

If am totally 100% wrong, and my sub $400 buy-ins get triggered and Bitcoin crashes through $400 and into $300 range, then I should have good opportunity to cover my ass on the bounce. I will also have an leveraged short position which should also hedge me against any heavy losses should it transpire that my instincts on this one are wrong.

As I have said many times, I do believe in lower lows before any ATHs are found....just can't bring myself to believe that any lower low is just lingering around the corner.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Obi-Wan Coinobi

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 10:57:44 PM

It is true, when it comes to TA, I am complete novice (hence TA 101) and it also true that I am building my TA 101 interpretation on what I intuitively feel lies around the corner for Bitcoin. For the first time in a long time, I just don't have the Bitcoin fear that has made me a bear since the second $1000 - $1100 range (I never even knew what a double top was back then). I think Bitcoin right about now will prove a good investment in the medium term.

The position that I am taking, is that right now, I am shorting Bitcoin on Bitfinex. On Bitstamp where I keep the vast majority of my powder, I have buy in tranches from $505 down to $460 which would be down in the oversold range of the current long term trend, which I feel is due to reverse.

If however, we can get above 580 peaking at around 600 range before testing 580 as a support. Then I will be prepared to admit defeat on both my short and my sub $400 buy in tranches but acknowledge that a head n shoulders has occurred with two shoulders at $530 range (which we hit yesterday evening) and buy in on trend reversal confirmation.

If am totally 100% wrong, and my sub $400 buy-ins get triggered and Bitcoin crashes through $400 and into $300 range, then I should have good opportunity to cover my ass on the bounce. I will also have an leveraged short position which should also hedge me against any heavy losses should it transpire that my instincts on this one are wrong.

As I have said many times, I do believe in lower lows before any ATHs are found....just can't bring myself to believe that any lower low is just lingering around the corner.

So you are thinking sub $400 is possible? By when?
MatTheCat (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:02:42 PM

July 23rd 2014, at 1.30pm GMT, just after the lunchtime news.

I don't frigging know. I have a hunch that a medium term trend reversal is on the cards but also have a hunch that we are yet to see the bottom proper.

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:02:46 PM

I see. Looks like, minus the shorting, we're pretty much aligned, almost scarily aligned.

*logs into stamp, raises bids by 0.5 USD*

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:03:03 PM

Sub 100 in a few months.
MatTheCat (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:10:47 PM

Sub 100 in a few months.

I will worry about that in a few months then.

YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:38:47 PM

Thx
W

it is a really cool site, there is also chat and you can discuss your opinions with professional traders who know what they are doing, no CCMF and no to da moon and no we are going down and bitcoin dying there, only analyzes 

Nice site Cheesy

I personally use TradeStation for my options & Forex

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Jeezy911

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:24:22 AM

This is some incredible Technical analysis, keep it coming!

segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 03:08:04 PM

.. supports starting at $530-$540 down to $460 as an absolute lower limit. No chance are we going any lower than that.
what is that based on ?
I hope not on the temporarily fall to 460 $.(would be TA 1.01 beta)
Hypnoise

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:11:33 PM

those, who sold in expectation of further down trend and sitting now on fiat may feel quite nervous. there is a lot of coins waiting to be sold on higher rate and in case of any upward movement we may see some panic buying and those who sold will be buying exactly same coins back on higher rate.

IamComrade

Activity: 66

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:14:21 PM

none of this matters, because $100 bitcoin will happen soon
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: