Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:11:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling out the Bitcoin Foundation Scam.  (Read 22511 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 06:26:44 AM

Watching*

(*) which I feel at liberty to do being one of the VERY early people to call the Bitcoin Foundation out when fuckin near everyone else was all ga-ga over it...

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 06:34:53 AM

I haven't seen anyone point out that the Bitcoin Foundation pays Gavin's salary, so that he can focus on developing the Bitcoin protocol. That seems like money well spent, right? (feel free to make counter arguments... I certainly don't inspect Gavin's code contributions personally)
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 06:40:00 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 01:01:45 PM by BadBear

And I doubt Gavin has enough power to hard fork even if he wanted to.

He easily does.  Same thing with Sunny King and proof of stake.  Since not even the developer himself really seems to understand how proof of stake works, and all the secondary or unintended consequences of each variable, few people have the authority to create a consensus to stop something if he wants it to happen.  Bitcoin is the same way.  It's easier to understand the general concepts of PoW, but there's still secondary or unintended consequences that make the "authority figures" divisible by a handful, or maybe even 1, especially when each change has to conform to future plans that aren't even known by all parties.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 06:40:10 AM

I haven't seen anyone point out that the Bitcoin Foundation pays Gavin's salary, so that he can focus on developing the Bitcoin protocol.
How much protocol development has happened in the last year?
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 06:46:29 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2014, 02:55:32 PM by malevolent

I don’t think it’s either practical nor feasible nor even desirable to use Bitcoin in the day to day dabble of pizzas, phone credits, hairspray and sneakers. People try to, because of the misguided belief that Bitcoin value is somehow related to or deriving from its crossection in the retail market.
2)  A single developer (Gavin) being able to screw up a software update and causing a fork that destroys a 10+ billion dollar business is not an option.  See #1.  People will want to minimize their possible risks to 10-20% loss for attacks or things like this happening.

3)  Demand for anonymous transactions vs open transactions.

4)  Practical hardware/space limitations of a single chain that has already been discussed.

5)  The usage of PoS as a virtual bank.

6)  How easy it is for a government to co-opt, attack, or take over a single chain.  It's much harder to take over or destroy 10 at once.  My estimate is, there will be 5-10 large coins.

7)  Dozens more that I don't feel like typing.

Gavin hasn't been Bitcoin's best friend in quite some time and even nao the development accomplishments haven't been much.

r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 06:54:32 AM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 01:01:58 PM by BadBear

How much protocol development has happened in the last year?

How anxious are you to be the sole person to get blamed for breaking a $10+ billion dollar industry?  Probably wants to outsource some responsibility to other people first so it's at least a team effort if they manage to screw it up.  They're at a stage where they have to make permanent choices that will decide the entire future of the currency and if it fails or succeeds.  Things like the whole 7 vs 80-100TPS deal, and huge block chains with high centralization and high transactions vs lower centralization and crap volume.  The guy doesn't seem like a rock star, anarchist programmer, with the idea of "fuck the entire world, I'm doing it my way".

There has to be at least 3-4 more high profile people from several other different countries like China, Germany, Japan, Finland, etc, involved and taking responsibility before anything big happens.

What do you think this article actually means?  It doesn't mean what Coindesk wrote, it means he's scared to be responsible for something that might decide the fate of the entire planet lol.

http://www.coindesk.com/gavin-andresen-bitcoin-companies-support-open-source/

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
hammo

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:02:46 AM

Just start a new one.  Call yourselves "the official foundation", register a domain and go.
Or what about the 'Bitcoin Founding Foundation' or BFF for short  Roll Eyes
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:11:05 AM

What do you think this article actually means?  It doesn't mean what Coindesk wrote, it means he's scared to be responsible for something that might decide the fate of the entire planet lol.

http://www.coindesk.com/gavin-andresen-bitcoin-companies-support-open-source/
So more Bitcoin companies should be involved in development? It's funny that Conformal Systems did exactly that, and gets no recognition from Gavin or any of the other core developers for their contributions.

Unlike BitPay which made a big deal of supporting the community via Jeff Garzik's 2000 LOC, Conformal put the development of their actual business on hold for a year while they wrote a clean slate reimplementation of the reference implementation as an open source donation to the community.

Fortunately, they're about done with that so now they can focus on their Coinvoice service. I say fortunately because that means they've had time to help out two local merchants in Austin that got burned by BitPay. (Do you know how embarrassing it is to go around to local merchants convincing them to start accepting Bitcoin and pointing them at the most well-known Bitcoin payment processor just to have them run into existential problems like "not getting paid?")
yamamushi

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 07:24:36 AM

Fortunately, they're about done with that so now they can focus on their Coinvoice service. I say fortunately because that means they've had time to help out two local merchants in Austin that got burned by BitPay. (Do you know how embarrassing it is to go around to local merchants convincing them to start accepting Bitcoin and pointing them at the most well-known Bitcoin payment processor just to have them run into existential problems like "not getting paid?")

Considering one of them was a licensed firearms dealer, and in order to buy weapons through them you have to go through an FBI background check, it was extremely frustrating that BitPay or Coinbase wouldn't work with them.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:59:11 AM

And I doubt Gavin has enough power to hard fork even if he wanted to.

He easily does.  Same thing with Sunny King and proof of stake.

But he (personally) doesn't (without great risk) in the overall (holistic) political game theory. You are thinking too-inside-the-box.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 08:12:05 AM

Yeah, what a scam to take peoples membership money and use it to organize conferences, lobby regulators, provide a resource for business and the press, to provide a space to coordinate the volunteer efforts of dozens of people who actually do something. Wow such scam! Only a doggy based coin could save us now.  Roll Eyes

+21 million

Agree. This thread is a ridiculous criticism, obviously made by someone with no understanding that Bitcoin is NOT an island. It interfaces in very real ways with centralised, legacy systems - and we need an organised, dedicated focal point.

This doesn't mean the foundation is beyond criticism, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
tayfun73

Activity: 34

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:33:09 AM

Yeah, what a scam to take peoples membership money and use it to organize conferences, lobby regulators, provide a resource for business and the press, to provide a space to coordinate the volunteer efforts of dozens of people who actually do something. Wow such scam! Only a doggy based coin could save us now.  Roll Eyes

+21 million

Agree. This thread is a ridiculous criticism, obviously made by someone with no understanding that Bitcoin is NOT an island. It interfaces in very real ways with centralised, legacy systems - and we need an organised, dedicated focal point.

This doesn't mean the foundation is beyond criticism, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Agreed, we do need an organised and dedicated group of people who represent the community. However, who voted these guys in? What input did the bitcoin community as a whole have in the establishment of the foundation, yet alone electing who would be on there? I guess having such shrewd businessman and solid citizens as Mark Karpeles on the board made them think they didn't need that input.

It would be interesting to weigh up the good that the foundation has done compared to the damage that they have done to the brand. It wasn't until the knife was well and truly to the bone that they got rid of Gox and Karpeles. I do not believe for one minute that they were suddenly 'surprised' by what happened over in Tokyo.
5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 08:51:53 AM

Agreed, we do need an organised and dedicated group of people who represent the community. However, who voted these guys in? What input did the bitcoin community as a whole have in the establishment of the foundation, yet alone electing who would be on there? I guess having such shrewd businessman and solid citizens as Mark Karpeles on the board made them think they didn't need that input.

It would be interesting to weigh up the good that the foundation has done compared to the damage that they have done to the brand. It wasn't until the knife was well and truly to the bone that they got rid of Gox and Karpeles. I do not believe for one minute that they were suddenly 'surprised' by what happened over in Tokyo.

Yea, all valid points. Like I say, they aren't beyond criticism. Like it or not, Bitcoin, by its very nature attracts the kind of person with an affinity for risk. Criminals and entrepreneurs share this affinity. And as we've seen, the line between entrepreneur and criminal is blurry, to say the least.

It's important to remember that TBF does not own Bitcoin. Their activities are what THEY think are in Bitcoin's best interest. We don't have to agree, or take any notice. But there's nothing stopping anyone setting up another lobbying group.

tayfun73

Activity: 34

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:00:07 AM

Yea, all valid points. Like I say, they aren't beyond criticism. Like it or not, Bitcoin, by its very nature attracts the kind of person with an affinity for risk. Criminals and entrepreneurs share this affinity. And as we've seen, the line between entrepreneur and criminal is blurry, to say the least.

It's important to remember that TBF does not own Bitcoin. Their activities are what THEY think are in Bitcoin's best interest. We don't have to agree, or take any notice. But there's nothing stopping anyone setting up another lobbying group.

Fair enough, they do not own bitcoin, we can set up a rival group etc etc, but I read earlier that they pay Gavin's salary as the lead dev for the bitcoin project. Noone will deny that he deserves to get paid and does a top job, but it's a bit worrying when you have a foundation which has very little confidence put in it by the community being Gavin's 'boss', and have the fate of the currency at their mercy.
5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 09:06:56 AM

Fair enough, they do not own bitcoin, we can set up a rival group etc etc, but I read earlier that they pay Gavin's salary as the lead dev for the bitcoin project. Noone will deny that he deserves to get paid and does a top job, but it's a bit worrying when you have a foundation which has very little confidence put in it by the community being Gavin's 'boss', and have the fate of the currency at their mercy.

One day, I hope Gavin earns enough to buy a small island in the South Pacific where he can live out his days with 12 young wives serving him mojitos on the beach. His stewardship of Bitcoin has been exemplary.

There would be nothing stopping a "rival" foundation "outbidding" to pay Gavin. Or even paying him in addition to his TBF income.

cosmofly

Activity: 532

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:38:54 AM

i always disagree with MP , but i admit he is 100% spot on about the foundation. They have to be shut down , they must be shutdown. They have stolen hundreds of thousands worth of bitcoins and DID NOTHING for the community, yes they are pocketing it all. They did NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING.

The development is a complete joke and bitcoin is in grave danger due to the lack of active development. No marketing, no promotion, no government lobbying, nothing, all they do is get paid more money to attend conferences and visits to the CIA.

We need to shut them down immediately.

The_Duke

Activity: 252

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:42:23 AM

In September 2012, as a response to the BF Announcement I already posted:

So the bitcoin foundation (which had nothing to do with founding bitcoin and created itself without involvement from the bitcoin community or its creator) gets a start as some incredibly overhyped Announcement (yeah, with a capital A apparently).
THIS is that big announcement that would bring more stability to bitcoin? A self proclaimed "bitcoin foundation" that on its own decides how to best help bitcoin?
To me, this just looks like a lot of e-peening by a bunch of people who on their own have become too invested in bitcoin and who are in effect decentralizing it by pulling to much attention and too much involvement onto themselves, thereby hindering the openness and freedom of bitcoin.
Why does something that is supposed to be uncontrolled and decentralized need a centralized body to control anything? What if the Bitcoin Foundation starts doing or saying things that a lot of bitcoin users feel is harmful to bitcoin? Can we replace the people in bitcoin foundation?

It will give the "outside world" (filled with evil bankers, corporations and goverments) a centralized point from which to influence bitcoin. (And whoever thinks they will influence it in a direction that is good for bitcoin is just being naive) They can now just talk to THE "Bitcoin Foundation", which happens to also include the major developers, the ones controlling the trademarks, etc.
Under the flag of "not for profit" bitcoin seems to get commercialized. :sad:

Turns out it's all even worse than I suspected back then. But at least my mistrust was justified.

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:43:55 AM

Watching*

(*) which I feel at liberty to do being one of the VERY early people to call the Bitcoin Foundation out when fuckin near everyone else was all ga-ga over it...

This would be true.

He easily does.  Same thing with Sunny King and proof of stake.  Since not even the developer himself really seems to understand how proof of stake works, and all the secondary or unintended consequences of each variable, few people have the authority to create a consensus to stop something if he wants it to happen.  Bitcoin is the same way.  It's easier to understand the general concepts of PoW, but there's still secondary or unintended consequences that make the "authority figures" divisible by a handful, or maybe even 1, especially when each change has to conform to future plans that aren't even known by all parties.

Listen nooblet, stop positing that if you've eaten cereal in the morning three times this past week this is "what's done in the morning". Some people fuck in the morning. For instance, your parents, which is how a cereal eating snotty brat like you even exists in the first place.

So more Bitcoin companies should be involved in development? It's funny that Conformal Systems did exactly that, and gets no recognition from Gavin or any of the other core developers for their contributions.

This. Gavin used to be respectable. Not so much anymore.

Back when Gavin used to be respectable, Gavin used to wield a lot of power re the -qt client, and people used to like...even download the newer versions. That time is well past. The overall impact on the Bitcoin network of a new delivery of bitcoin-qt code is roughly nil. You gotta understand that Bitcoin = the Bitcoins, if you get a lot of adoption from people who have together half a Bitcoin you've really got no adoption worth the mention.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:51:14 AM

So you've just argued TBF has no effective power, so then why give a fuck what they do?

I think you've just argued that no one can control Bitcoin right now and thus there is no way to make any more hard forks.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:53:37 AM

So you've just argued TBF has no effective power, so then why give a fuck what they do?

I think you've just argued that no one can control Bitcoin right now and thus there is no way to make any more hard forks.

I have to say, i'm with you on that one. I couldn't give a flying fork what the bitcoin foundation do, they don't speak for me, nor will any members club who evolve in the future democratically elected, or not. Good riddance if they fade into obscurity, and if they don't, it makes not a blind bit of difference to me.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: