Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:23:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling out the Bitcoin Foundation Scam.  (Read 22506 times)
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 10:59:20 PM

What do you think this article actually means?  It doesn't mean what Coindesk wrote, it means he's scared to be responsible for something that might decide the fate of the entire planet lol.

http://www.coindesk.com/gavin-andresen-bitcoin-companies-support-open-source/

So more Bitcoin companies should be involved in development? It's funny that Conformal Systems did exactly that, and gets no recognition from Gavin or any of the other core developers for their contributions.

Unlike BitPay which made a big deal of supporting the community via Jeff Garzik's 2000 LOC, Conformal put the development of their actual business on hold for a year while they wrote a clean slate reimplementation of the reference implementation as an open source donation to the community.

Justus,

I agree with you in spirit, but you should be a bit more up-front about the fact that Conformal's bitcoind implementation is written in the "Go" language.

There's nothing wrong with that, but there also isn't much demand outside of Conformal for a bitcoin client written in Go.  If one of their major motivations was to contribute to the bitcoin community they would have chosen a language that more bitcoiners know and therefore can contribute in.  In other words, their contribution is primarily to the Go community here, not the bitcoin community.  That's okay.

FWIW, I write my "serious" code in Coq, which is a hell of a lot more obscure than Go… glass houses, stones, etc.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 12:07:16 AM

You're still hot. Funny how that works on the internets.

Never joined the foundation. Said I would when they offer a Substantial Scholarship to an accredited school tho...

I wouldn't go so far as calling it a 'scam.'

Paying to join the local golf club usually just ends up with you paying for tee times at a reduced rate.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 12:23:07 AM

Funny thing about Bitcoiners and Fox News watchers is that they both seem to have a thing for trannies.  The latter were all hot and bothered for Ann 'the man' Coulter back in the day.  Go figure.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 01:18:29 AM

Funny thing about Bitcoiners and Fox News watchers is that they both seem to have a thing for trannies.  The latter were all hot and bothered for Ann 'the man' Coulter back in the day.  Go figure.

LOL, What's FaceBooks gender count now? 50+  

I see no gender on the inter webs. So she's hot.

Edit: Except that randy guy, dude change your avatar.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:10:56 AM

Funny thing about Bitcoiners and Fox News watchers is that they both seem to have a thing for trannies.  The latter were all hot and bothered for Ann 'the man' Coulter back in the day.  Go figure.

Chicks with Dicks + Bitcoin!

It's like Peanut Butter and Jelly baby. LOL

tayfun73

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:42:29 AM

Some interesting reading here >  http://two-bit-idiot.tumblr.com/post/78609330103/the-btc-foundations-power-struggle
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:06:18 AM

Well fuck-o-rolan, how many times is ~vess going to 'step down'?  IIRC he 'stepped down' a year ago during the Coinlab/Mt.Gox fiasco.  Down from 'executive director' to 'chairman of the board.'

Looks to me like ~vess IS the Bitcoin Foundation.  He was there from day one and I expect he'll be there until the end.  I also don't expect him to cough up the $5M in Gox funds that Coinlab appropriated so Mt. Gox creditors will probably be eating that to.  And I certainly don't expect that he/tBF is going to give Mt Gox back the 5000 BTC they put in to get the Bitcoin Foundation started.  OTOH, it would be good PR so if tBF has got money coming out their ears, or if ~vess stands to lose the $5M to the Feds anyway, maybe the Gox victims will see a little of it.  Not holding my breath for that one though.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:31:47 AM

I agree with you in spirit, but you should be a bit more up-front about the fact that Conformal's bitcoind implementation is written in the "Go" language.

There's nothing wrong with that, but there also isn't much demand outside of Conformal for a bitcoin client written in Go.  If one of their major motivations was to contribute to the bitcoin community they would have chosen a language that more bitcoiners know and therefore can contribute in.  In other words, their contribution is primarily to the Go community here, not the bitcoin community.
You're going to have a hard time convincing me that the Go language is a problem based on the number of non-Go programmers I've heard say, "wow, I can actually understand their code."

Having a codebase that's approachable and well-architected is a great contribution even if nobody else ever writes any Bitcoin code in Go.

Even if that weren't the case, your post implies that the Bitcoin community is the development community. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Btcd gives non-developer users the ability to contribute to the network by running a full node without also requiring them to store m (users) * n (devices) copies of the blockchain. That's huge usability improvement in its own right.
davec

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:41:23 AM

Justus,

There's nothing wrong with that, but there also isn't much demand outside of Conformal for a bitcoin client written in Go.  If one of their major motivations was to contribute to the bitcoin community they would have chosen a language that more bitcoiners know and therefore can contribute in.  In other words, their contribution is primarily to the Go community here, not the bitcoin community.  That's okay.

FWIW, I write my "serious" code in Coq, which is a hell of a lot more obscure than Go… glass houses, stones, etc.

I can't disagree with you more.  I'll talk about Go here in a moment, but the first thing I want to get out of the way is the fact that many improvements to the architecture made by btcd are now being incorporated back into bitcoind.  So, I'm not sure how you could claim that btcd has not contributed to the Bitcoin community.  That is patently false.  On the contrary, we are quite proud that our contributions have been improving the ecosystem.

For example, the btcd codebase created btcctl as a standalone RPC client, rather than shoving it into the daemon, months ago.  Just now, in the upcoming 0.9.0 release, bitcoind is following suit with bitcoin-cli which incidentally is almost an exact clone of btcctl.

Second, we made a blog post back in the beginning of Oct 2013 about btcd's architecture along with the benefits of separating the wallet from the core daemon (https://blog.conformal.com/btcd-not-your-moms-bitcoin-daemon/).  It would appear that at least some of core bitcoind devs agree as just after our announcement, plans were announced to do the same thing for bitcoind.  If you haven't noticed, recently bitcoind has been working to separate the chain bits via the -disablewallet option.  Once again, that idea is directly from the improvements made to the fundamental architecture by btcd which has already had this functionality for 6 months.

Those are just a couple of examples.  If you spend some time cross referencing the release notes for 0.9.0 with architectural improvements made in btcd, you will find more instances of our contributions influencing bitcoind in a positive way.  This goes both ways.

On the point of Go, it is not at all an obscure language.  It is rapidly rising in popularity as noted on many language popularity tracking sites.  Anyone who is familiar with C/C++ can pick Go extremely quickly.  Interestingly enough, we frequently hear from people that weren't familiar with Go at all say they have a far easier time reading, understanding, and reasoning about the btcd code as compared to the bitcoind code.  I would urge you to take a look for yourself rather than take my (or their) word for it though.

Perhaps most importantly, the modular design of btcd makes it easier for businesses to build services.  For example, if you want to create a transaction script with the bitcoind codebase, you'd probably end up doing what everyone else has done and hand roll them as it's not easy to access only that functionality from the bitcoind code.  On the other hand, creating a script that has canonical encoding which pays to an address (whether it's a pubkey, pubkey hash, or a script hash) with the btcd codebase is as simple as:

import "github.com/conformal/btcscript"
script, err := btcscript.PayToAddrScript(addr)
if err != nil { /* handle it */ }

moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:46:04 AM

There's nothing wrong with that, but there also isn't much demand outside of Conformal for a bitcoin client written in Go.  If one of their major motivations was to contribute to the bitcoin community they would have chosen a language that more bitcoiners know and therefore can contribute in.  In other words, their contribution is primarily to the Go community here, not the bitcoin community.
You're going to have a hard time convincing me that the Go language is a problem based on the number of non-Go programmers I've heard say, "wow, I can actually understand their code."

Having a codebase that's approachable and well-architected is a great contribution even if nobody else ever writes any Bitcoin code in Go.

Even if that weren't the case, your post implies that the Bitcoin community is the development community. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Btcd gives non-developer users the ability to contribute to the network by running a full node without also requiring them to store m (users) * n (devices) copies of the blockchain. That's huge usability improvement in its own right.

Go encourages readability, portability and standardization, so I expect there will be a lot of future development with Btcd. I run Btcd testing on GAE for all sorts of backend mobile dev stuff it's awesome. Of course they weren't given any money because the foundation solely exists for a select few Bitcoin corps to collaborate with each other in order to establish a monopoly
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 12:30:15 PM

Justus,

This is nonsense, I mean by the same token you've not written this message to the Bitcoin community, since it's written in English.

As long as it's written it's written, let they who don't know the language learn it.

Well fuck-o-rolan, how many times is ~vess going to 'step down'?  IIRC he 'stepped down' a year ago during the Coinlab/Mt.Gox fiasco.  Down from 'executive director' to 'chairman of the board.'

Looks to me like ~vess IS the Bitcoin Foundation.  He was there from day one and I expect he'll be there until the end.  I also don't expect him to cough up the $5M in Gox funds that Coinlab appropriated so Mt. Gox creditors will probably be eating that to.  And I certainly don't expect that he/tBF is going to give Mt Gox back the 5000 BTC they put in to get the Bitcoin Foundation started.  OTOH, it would be good PR so if tBF has got money coming out their ears, or if ~vess stands to lose the $5M to the Feds anyway, maybe the Gox victims will see a little of it.  Not holding my breath for that one though.

I find it funny how that Ver sockpuppet (aptly named, btw, he IS a two bit idiot) keeps trying to piggyback the discussion/spindoctor the whole thing.

And by funny I mean disgusting to the point of disbelief.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:12:51 PM

OP, how about you come to us with a solution instead of a problem?

Fiat finance is populated by assholes in jobs they're not qualified to do effectively, being paid vast amounts by other assholes who are board-members of companies that survive by being told what to do by highly-paid management consultants.

As for crypto-currency, we are legion, but we are fringe and we are fucked without people willing to strap on a tie and speak corporate bullshit to persuade people who are afraid of losing their privileged positions by making decisions from left-field, that they should adopt Bitcoin as a means of payment or trade.

You don't have to like anyone from TBF, but you do have to offer up some sort of alternative solution to how we get boots on the ground in places that aren't simply coffee-shops and groovy online retailers with a liberal bent, if you want anybody to get behind your protestations.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:07:07 PM

How about you shut the fuck up and get lost? Twelve post "we" indeed, get a load of that.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:09:48 PM

because OP has not a clue. Once she gets over her PMT, she may be a bit more polite, but until then....
with all the social skills of a skunk in a perfume factory.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
cryptodevil
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1240

Thread-puller extraordinaire

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:22:44 PM

Twelve post "we" indeed, get a load of that.

Oh, and there was me thinking that Bitcoin is meant to be owned by, well, everybody who uses it.

Apparently seniority based on your posting count at this forum is the rule. My bad.

BTW, telling people to just STFU when they raise a valid a point is real fucking mature. Well done OP, a masterful thread, superbly crafted with your reasoned assertions and rebuttals.

WARNING!!! Check your forum URLs carefully and avoid links to phishing sites like 'thebitcointalk' 'bitcointalk.to' and 'BitcointaLLk'
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:27:04 PM

You may be new here, don't know who I am, what I do...

delusions of grandeur.  Roll Eyes

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
DiabolusLoki

Activity: 249

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:36:27 PM

How about you shut the fuck up and get lost? Twelve post "we" indeed, get a load of that.
Change ya tampon already bitch.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:38:38 PM

Whilst I don't agree with the almost autistic way MPOE-PR broaches subjects, I do agree that The Bitcoin Foundation is a sham.

I don't believe it's a scam tho.  I believe it's a way for rich pricks to pat themselves on the back and pretend they are doing good.

Instead of a foundation, why don't we just pay somebody a full time wage to fly all over the world and spruik Bitcoin.  If they had experience in marketing, economics, and a basic knowledge of law.

Shit, I'd donate to something like that.

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
zumzero

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

myBitcoin.Garden

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 05:39:44 PM

Take your pills and calm down you sociopath.  You are the biggest scammer around.

https://mybitcoin.garden
Bitcoin game where you can earn up to 220% on each planted garden!
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:46:00 PM

Im agreeing with you on all your points, scam or at least unethical!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: