Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:05:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we start New Bitcoin?  (Read 4425 times)
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 01:21:54 PM

You don't like Bitcoin, I say switch to Nxt, after all it's 800 times more cost efficient and 3000 more energy efficient due to proof of stake, not to mention having many other services built on top of it, which will allow the coin to basically be sent around with practically zero transaction fees, and the forgers will be paid via people using the Nxt messaging service, decentralized computing, and other services.  Not to mention anyone can forge, there is no incentive to buy heavy duty equipment that can be used to mine Bitcoin and is good for absolutely nothing other than mining Bitcoin.

http://www.nxtcrypto.org/

+1. Yes NXT is great

+2

++  Grin

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 01:30:41 PM

The reason for starting a new bitcoin is simple:
We can assume that 50% of all bitcoins mined are either held by wrong persons, or are lost.
A lot of people are burned by the MtGox theft, therefore they have nothing to lose on switching to a new coin.

If we start to use a new coin the miners can use their hardware to switch over as well, and effectively abandoning Old Bitcoin.
The value of Old Bitcoin will drop to zero which will punish preminers, thieves and FBI.

Bitcoin holders that will be punished most:
FBI: 10%
Satoshi: 10%
Thieves (from MtGox and other sites): 20%
Lost coins: 10%
Total = 50%

I'll give you this: you're sincere and you do have an eye for the downsides in the Bitcoin system [which, to remind everyone, was started off as a "Proof of Concept."]

But, you're trying to put the genie back into the bottle. What any cyber has going for it is the network effect, and Bitcoin's towers above any other cyber. I don't mean to deflate your dream, but you'd have about as much luck starting a "new eBay" with lower final value fees or a "new Paypal" with less choplogicy fraud-prevention algorithms. Many have tried; none prevailed.

Had you implemented this idea in 2010, it would have had a fighting chance. Not to mention instigated a blood feud that would be the stuff of legends now  Wink

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

gollum (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:02:49 PM

We can assume that 50% of all bitcoins mined are either held by wrong persons, or are lost.
A lot of people are burned by the MtGox theft, therefore they have nothing to lose on switching to a new coin.

If we start to use a new coin the miners can use their hardware to switch over as well, and effectively abandoning Old Bitcoin.
The value of Old Bitcoin will drop to zero which will punish preminers, thieves and FBI.

Total = 50%

I'll give you this: you're sincere and you do have an eye for the downsides in the Bitcoin system [which, to remind everyone, was started off as a "Proof of Concept."]

But, you're trying to put the genie back into the bottle. What any cyber has going for it is the network effect, and Bitcoin's towers above any other cyber. I don't mean to deflate your dream, but you'd have about as much luck starting a "new eBay" with lower final value fees or a "new Paypal" with less choplogicy fraud-prevention algorithms. Many have tried; none prevailed.

Had you implemented this idea in 2010, it would have had a fighting chance. Not to mention instigated a blood feud that would be the stuff of legends now  Wink
I love the technology of cryptos, but I can also see the problems that needs to be solved.
Most bitcoiners are like fanatical religious people, they cannot accept anyone criticizing bitcoin.

I wish there wasnt a need to abandon the old bitcoin, but when so many coins are in wrong hands, I dont see any incentive for guys like me to stay on this ship instead of jumping on a better alt-coin.
V8x8d

Activity: 212
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 02:54:42 PM

I lost most my BTC in 2012. You don't here me crying about it. Man up Gollum and move on (BTC is here to stay).

Please also send unwanted BTC to 18UiYvAQ62U2t8oJKyMu2py9D2egvBNChM

The MTGox business was unfortunate, however I saw it coming.
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 12:38:45 PM

I wish there wasnt a need to abandon the old bitcoin, but when so many coins are in wrong hands, I dont see any incentive for guys like me to stay on this ship instead of jumping on a better alt-coin.
You're now four pages in to a topic where you have basically managed to convince no one except people who are already pumping their favourite altcoin.

Can I suggest that you either

• Persevere with bitcoin
  • Give up on bitcoin and cash out to an existing altcoin
  • Go over to the altcoin forum and start laying out the plans for your new killer altcoin

There is no future in which continuing to post about how terribly upset you are with bitcoin achieves anything useful. If that was my genuinely held opinion then I would do one of the above.
Socket54

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 02:07:44 PM

Bitcoin is like the gold of fiat money, but digital. If you burn the gold, what does the value derive from?

I think no matter what currency or how it is manifested, will always have to have a top dog and a few little dogs like silver and copper for instance in fiat. So unless someone think they can overthrow the gold of digital currency then it appears to be on track for the same value tendencies as fiat. Kinda counter productive of the whole digital currency movement though eh but hey that is the way a value is formed so just embrace it and look for the silver and copper

Laugh Smile and Love
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 07:22:22 PM

Promoting NXT in Bitcoin discussion, smart.

The point wasn't to spam and promote an altcoin but to tell that there are many innovative altcoins that have the potential to replace Bitcoin. Even if the name isn't Bitcoin 2.0 it goal is to replace Bitcoin by providing a "better" technology and fixing some flaws of Bitcoin.

No cryptocurrency is perfect but you are not forced to use one or an other. It is the choice of everyone.

Nxt is not an innovative one.
Nor do I see really anything 'innovative' around, just a few new features, that some have.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ShawnLeary

Activity: 518
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:26:50 AM

You don't like Bitcoin, I say switch to Nxt, after all it's 800 times more cost efficient and 3000 more energy efficient due to proof of stake, not to mention having many other services built on top of it, which will allow the coin to basically be sent around with practically zero transaction fees, and the forgers will be paid via people using the Nxt messaging service, decentralized computing, and other services.  Not to mention anyone can forge, there is no incentive to buy heavy duty equipment that can be used to mine Bitcoin and is good for absolutely nothing other than mining Bitcoin.

+1. Yes NXT is great

NXT=BitCoin2.0

"We have the power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 09:35:21 PM

NXT=ScamCoin2.0
FTFY.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
btcmania

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 05:54:26 AM

If we created a new official Bitcoin, it would diminish the value of the old one and would discourage investors and miners. Why invest in a coin that someone will just replace with a 'fresh start' version every few years.

Lost coins due to forgotten wallet passwords, etc. make them even even rarer to the rest of us... and coins lost to theft are still in circulation.

Hi.
CoinHumper

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:55:39 AM

They're called Alt Coins.
dailyarsenal

Activity: 98

To The Moon!

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:01:36 AM

This would be a very bad idea for the crypto community.

BTC: 13Yg1PwgBFTxyKpGY3393jDJeqNTFNijjH | HOBO: hXzbM3jzvYxrFts7y9zTwmLUJLyw2RYQM | WARNING: Pre-mine or IPO without escrow = SCAM
dailyarsenal

Activity: 98

To The Moon!

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:03:00 AM

+1. Yes NXT is great

+2

++  Grin

NXT is crap. HoboNickels would be a better coin.

BTC: 13Yg1PwgBFTxyKpGY3393jDJeqNTFNijjH | HOBO: hXzbM3jzvYxrFts7y9zTwmLUJLyw2RYQM | WARNING: Pre-mine or IPO without escrow = SCAM
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 07:04:01 AM

Its not an idea, its a natural consequence of unequal wealth distribution.
In real life we get revolutions, in cryptos we get alt-coins since there is no government to revolt against
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:44:55 AM

Its not an idea, its a natural consequence of unequal wealth distribution.
In real life we get revolutions, in cryptos we get alt-coins since there is no government to revolt against

Dude, there is ALWAYS going to be inequal distribution of wealth unless you go to communism.
Even communism is unequal, for the hard working individuals.

No man-made political/economical system is optimal, all systems will eventually change when a critical mass revolts against it.

In the beginning I believed bitcoin somehow would be more fair-play than our corrupt market economy where the wealth is concentrated in a few pockets based on their influence over politics.
Now I realize the speculation and wealth concentration in bitcoin is even worse than the real economy.
The more wealth is concentrated, the harder most people need to work to be part of that economy.

My dream is ultimately a contract-based alt-coin that will enable everyone to participate in the economy.
Inspiration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BerkShares
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 03:30:42 PM

They're called Alt Coins.
They aren't needed, most of them.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:32:39 AM

1. There are already hundreds of altcoins, pick one that floats your boat.
2. There will be problems, minor and major, in any project, and "new Bitcoin" is no exception.
3. You can't "start over" because a couple people you don't like happened to get rich. You remind me of the kind of child that would do this:
turns off console
The game never finished, it doesn't count!
tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:46:49 AM

A new Bitcoin was started a long time ago: Terracoin. It is an exact duplicate of Bitcoin, except for the name. Where have you been? And if you want to improve on Bitcoin, you already have hundreds to choose from. May I suggest Dogecoin?

Terracoin has differences from Bitcoin. Twice as many coins and two minute block target, for starters.
Slingshot

Activity: 616

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:24:07 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2014, 07:53:49 AM by Slingshot

Total = 50%

Okay OP, let me get this straight: Since you and some others lost their stash on Mt. Gox suddenly you want to start all over?

So in effect you (the OP) want to reward failure, just exactly like the Banksters and all the wealthy elite were rewarded with bailouts, backstops and guarantees correct? (of course everyone else that had any savings, stocks, bonds or assets of almost any other kind, or pensions, were also all beneficiaries of the bailouts, etc., but nothing like the degree of the wealthy elite). But of course everyone got broke in 2008. Fully wiped out. Then instantly bailed out in secret, all while the deversion of the joke called TARP was passed in public view to the chumps. Fast forward to today and over 50 TRILLION in loans, backstops, and guarentees have bailed out the world since 2008 alone. With China alone spending 23 Trillion since then in loans/debts, a world record in such a short time frame. Runner up USA isn't far behind. And Europe is an utter disaster today for not doing so, oddly enough, or not, since Goldman and Co. made certain to fuck them all royally with one financial con after another (ripoff derivatives and swindles called interest rate swaps).

Side note: I was one of the Shorts, for 20 months, during 2008-2009, that was short squeezed to near death by one illegal market intervention/manipulation after another, and finally hit by margin calls which I promptly covered, and lastly by a dead margin call that didn't give any option to cover, but instead instantly closed every position without the chance to make the margin call at all by way of a fast bank wire or ACH as is done in normal times.

(read the fine print...that's the brokers option to utilize, all so they can fuck us/protect themselves, is their excuse. And btw just like Coinbase now uses in another fashion that reeks of criminal fraud and thief).

Effectively one of my brokers, and wall street, and the banksters, and the US Treasury, plus the defective drugs peddled by Big Pharma all finally ended up royally screwing me into severe heart failure. So see OP, I won, but lost, in more than a few ways, much worse than merely losing my stash. Get a grip, all you lost was money and time. Your still young, and can start over. Many can't hope to do that since their not young anymore, nor in good health either. But still some of us fight like the devil himself, and refuse to give up, or give in. And will win by sheer will, or die trying.

Back in the Fall of 2007 myself and a tiny few others knew it all was coming down starting right then and there, and we called it, and started preparing to make bank, but the little guy like myself didn't wager on the the very things that Goldman wagered on, who ended up getting 100% whole by way of bailing out AIG, etc.
Nope, we the little guys all got short squeezed until our balls turned blue when they wouldn't dare allow us to cover the margin calls because by then even the clueless brokers knew they too would be fucked if they allowed us to cover since the walls were indeed starting to tumble all down at that point (finally, early Sept. 2008).

In effect all the Losers were made into Winners, and the real Winners were in effect made into Losers.

So see here:

Myself: I have little to no respect for anyone that didn't call it correctly way back in April/May 2000. And long before that back in 1981. Much less the very moment Nixon (Rep.) (the Commie Democrat) took us all off the Gold Standard and started this insane madness.

We're all on borrowed time and money. The Powers that Be are extending and pretending, demanding the future pay for their sins and everyone elses that is at the top of the pyramid scheme, much less the rest of us still enjoying their sins of kicking the can just a little bit more forward, until financial armagetton, or N-Day *WW3.

And now the OP wants to reward Failure too. O dear. Not a chance OP. NO WAY.

As for your opening statement here goes (But in a different order of things to my liking):

1. Thieves = Central Banks and their Gold Bullion Reserves that they effectively stole from everyone else by way of Usury rates of Interest (btw: that are fundamentally impossible to ever pay back) on monies the central bank (in the case of the USA it's the "FED") created out of thin air and then "loan" to their client nation state (USA, etc.) into perpetuity (forever and ever, never ending as in FOREVER), and in the case of the USA since 1913.

FED ie: Federal Reserve Bank, a Private, Criminal Banking Cartel owned by it's member banks and their shareholders through the issue of privately held stock that no one else can ever own).

Western Central Banks = demand to completely dominate and control every last countries currency on this earth, and especially the 7 axis of evil countries noted by Bush Co. that were the sole holdouts. Of course two of those countries leaders were executed, one for not being receptive anymore for taking petro dollars for oil, and the other for daring to create a gold backed dinar currency. Not to mention the bought and paid for new government of Afghanistan. Toss in Syria, Iran, North Korea and Cuba and suddenly we find which countries left still have the balls to create their own debt free currencies, while the rest of the world is enslaved by debt based fiat currency with usury rates of unpayable interest into perpetuity (forever and ever) that cannot possibly ever be paid back due to the very nature of debt based fiat interest (as soon as the 1st dollar is loaned out there are suddenly more debts than dollars, Euros, etc.). Thus assuring to enslave the world to these criminal gangster central banksters. Hell, anyone but a fool or someone believing in the nonsense rightly termed propaganda in the mainstream news all knows these facts. But I lay them out again here for those that don't know THE REAL FACTS OF LIFE.

Compare that to Hacker/Cracker thieves: Well, at least the hackers/crackers wont be enslaving the world into pepertuity with any interest fees at all, much less one's impossible to pay back and that keep eating up larger and larger percentages of national GDP. Much less not into perpetuity.

No, I don't condone that behavor. There should be a death penalty for doing such a thing. Of course same for the Central Bank Banksters that have enslaved the world, counterfeited to the extreme, and committed crimes against humanity, as well as the highest of treason's. But back to hackers: the only effective way to stop it currently (slow them down) is to have the death penalty for such a crime, nothing less will prove effective, not even life in prison imo. Much the same for the Banksters.

2. FBI = regulatory body (like them or not, their merely doing their job) that shutdown and seized the funds of an outright illegal operation that everyone knew was highly risky, or at least should have damn well known it was. And congrats, now all those that did business at the Silk Road are likely known by the FBI and DEA too. Not good for their future unless they dump their illegal drugs and clean up their acts before their sought out so they don't get caught in the act at a later date, if ever, or merely partake in cannabis in legal jurisdictions. Pray the statute of limitations and or a long list of potential better criminal candidates to go after end up saving the better ones from the hell of the injustice system, etc.

3. Satoshi = 100% Earned his/her/their wealth. Nothing more to say here. At least Satoshi fully deserves whatever the market is willing to bare, and from the looks of things the market is fully willing to bare and trust in Satoshi.

4. Lost Coins = the very fundamentals of Digital cryptocurrency in their infancy, or due to various factors. For a long time to come coins will continue to be lost. Making surviving coins that much more valuable. Only improvements in technology and user habits can hope to minimize coin loss, and various other technical reasons involving coin loss. Think people. Adopt best habits for wallets and whom you trust, if anyone at all.
Best concept: One can trust people to a point! And that point is MONEY. We can't trust others with our money. Their going to disappoint us time after time unless their are assurances/insurance, etc. As for unregulated markets. Well that's what happened to Mt. Gox customers funds; an unregulated, uninsured marketplace. That's why Ron Paul isn't 100% of the solution, same for Austrian Economic Theory. Deregulation and Privatization are the two tragic flaws in Ron Paul's beliefs. And in Alan Greenspan's beliefs. I should now. I beat those two clowns too, hands down. Of course one is a consummate politician telling you exactly what you want to here. And the other is a Bankster that baffled you with pure bullshit. Get used to that. Or learn to outplay them.

Yes, Ron Paul gets about 90% perfect. But blows it to hell and back on the topics of Deregulating everything, and Privatizing everything. Only a complete dimwitt or fool could think such schemes could ever work out to benefit anyone but those at the top. Ron Paul is the Billionaire Koch Brothers wet dream, a Tyrants wet dream come true. The rest would merely be at their mercy. A remake of the midevil age. A modern neo-midevil age is what is looming unless younger generations get their acts fully together and demand a whole lot better for themselves and everyone else. Otherwise their going to be enslaved worse than past generations by a factor of at least 2, if not 10, within a decade or two from today.

Ron Paul is just a fool that believes in fairy tales, or incorrect theory, or is a Neo-Fascist of a different stripe much to the shock and horror of those that don't understand this terrible set of facts. No Western Economic theory isn't accurate either. And neither is Austrian Economic theory. Their both horribly flawed, on purpose.

Measure out the 22,000,000.0000 0000 bitcoins and one comes up with effectively 100 trillion dollars if the last two digits are left for cents as I recall. Already I dismiss the decimal point since it's not at all relative in the scheme of things. So I read 0.00020000 as 20,000 satoshi's myself, and nothing else.

Lastly: As for the OP and his term for Savers: Hoarders. = How fucking dare you. (please pardon me, I am currently in a very bad mood thinking of how I earned millions during the 2008-2009 crash but got royally screwed by the very thieves running everything straight into the abyss. Too bad I didn't know to invest in certain derivitives that would be made 100% whole like Goldman Sachs was made. Of course they even were allowed to retroactively change into a commercial bank so they could qualify for their very own personal bailout and backstops too. How quaint for them.

So the OP wants to mention Rewarding Failure. Well what we already have is criminals enslaving almost the entire world today by way of usury rates of interest payments into perpetuity, not to mention all their other evil ways.

And now the OP asks to abandon Bitcoin for Bitcoin 2.0 because he trusted some other party with his bitcoins while he played the role of a day trader, (or whatever), and unwittingly trusted they were safe parked there while he himself traded them there for profit.

So no, you took the risk called being a Capitalist. And lost. Fair and Square.
================================================

I and many others Won Fair and Square. But we wont ever be paid or made even half whole.
==========================================================

And that is exactly why I am here; because Satoshi offered us all a way to avoid the same enslavement and capture we have all suffered from our entire lives. Satoshi is way smarter than any of us. He proved it. He won. And is getting paid when and if he wants to be paid as long as many keep supporting Bitcoin.

Myself: I recently liquidated 3 dozen types of alternatives to Bitcoin over the last three months. I had a lot of alternative cryptos. Now I own almost exclusively Bitcoin because the alternatives can't and don't realize that this is a race into the marketplace, but they cannot pull their own heads out of their butts and see what their all doing so poorly. So Bitcoin it is, 98% Bitcoin is now my Portfolio. P.S. I sensed a crypto market top back in December 2013, confirmed in January 2014. The rest is what it is. A real free and true marketplace that some what to to reset, and start over, much like the OP. No thanks.

I for one REFUSE to Reward Failure.
=======================

Capitalism NEVER rewards failure.
=====================

Only Fascists, Socialists and Communists reward Failure.
---------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. That's why I sign my posts the way I do!

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware
========================
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2014, 07:31:21 AM

Benjamins is basically Bitcoin. Same numbers and everything I think. Just that asic slammed it at launch. Difficulty is like 1.4 million or some shit

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: