Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 08:34:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Stolen from Poloniex  (Read 167418 times)
stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:31:20 PM

+1 Dev

Dev you have been open and honest from the start. Admitting liability and working your hardest to fix this. I have lost BTC in C-Cex and here now. But I must say you have been far more open and honest about not only what happened but how you plan to remedy the situation. Your message about the issue I think also deserves a lot of credit, whilst C-cex has been better than Mt. Gox, I fear their reputation will eventually see them close.

Good work Dev, I will certainly keep using your exchange. For all the users moaning - I suggest you go play on the regulated stock and Fx markets or STFU!

It's funny that you mention them because there's no mention of any problem on their website, either: https://c-cex.com/

Mt. Gox, Coinmarket, C-Cex

Sensing a pattern?
No. Its all in your head.  
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1248

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 08:35:31 PM

Has anyone checked their BTC amount on Poloniex.....mine gone down by 12% to 15%.

It looks like the reduction is happening.

Is it 12.3% for you? Or more than that?

My BTC balance was just taken down 12.3%.  Pleased with the how he is handling this and will stick with him!

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
CountBlood

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:36:19 PM

Has anyone checked their BTC amount on Poloniex.....mine gone down by 12% to 15%.

Confirmed, mine just went down 12.3%. My balance I mean, not my pecker.  Tongue

Edit: Other alt-coin balances remain as before.
jtpeters

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:36:32 PM

+1 Dev

Dev you have been open and honest from the start. Admitting liability and working your hardest to fix this. I have lost BTC in C-Cex and here now. But I must say you have been far more open and honest about not only what happened but how you plan to remedy the situation. Your message about the issue I think also deserves a lot of credit, whilst C-cex has been better than Mt. Gox, I fear their reputation will eventually see them close.

Good work Dev, I will certainly keep using your exchange. For all the users moaning - I suggest you go play on the regulated stock and Fx markets or STFU!

It's funny that you mention them because there's no mention of any problem on their website, either: https://c-cex.com/

Sensing a pattern?

I suppose you cannot come up with an intelligent or logical argument so personal attacks will suffice.

"You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe!"

Let's get back to being constructive, though we do not agree on all of our constructions. (But I suppose the lesser of us will continue the personal attacks while avoiding the elephant in the room.)
jtpeters

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:37:55 PM

My BTC balance was just taken down 12.3%.  Pleased with the how he is handling this and will stick with him!

When people are refunded their BTC then we can breathe a sigh of relief.

No use getting happy because our BTC balance went down by 12%
Warren

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:40:57 PM

Why are you so annoying?

If trying to save people from losing their hard-earned money is annoying then I suppose you can go fix yourself.

I agree that there are several unanswered questions such as:

1. Why has a warning not yet been prominently placed on the site to deter further deposits?

2. What is the confirmed address that the funds were sent to, and how much was stolen?

3. Why has no warning email been sent to all registered users informing them of the security breach?

However, I think most of us can appreciate the enormous stress that Busoni is currently under, and I for one choose to believe that he is doing everything he can in the background trying to fix the security holes and deciding on the best way forward in a difficult situation. Some mistakes and not being available for every question on the forum might be a price we have to pay? At least for now.

jtpeters has made 36(!) posts to this thread, each one pointing out that the money is likely being stolen in front of our eyes.

Is that really constructive, and are you surprised people find it annoying?

I think we understand your view on this by now...   Roll Eyes

"are you surprised people find it annoying".. I honestly don't care if 1 or 2 people find my posts annoying. (You should have said "are you surprised 1 other person finds it annoying" by the way, but I guess that would not have sounded authoritative.)

If our actions can save 1 person from potential worry then I don't give two shits about the cultural sensitivities of others. Some people find bad grammar annoying, but should you give a flying fuck?

If the people who feel they lost BTC first read this thread instead of afterwards, then perhaps they could have been saved some trouble.

Do you feel your reply is constructive? Don't answer that.. because doing so would not help anyone. But guess what? Reading my "annoying" posts will help someone. It doesn't matter if you or someone else doesn't like it. I honestly don't care. The pros outweigh the cons, and that's all that matters.

By the way.. you raised some concerns. Has anyone else been talking about these concerns and drawing attention to them? I was the first to express these concerns. Don't be a hypocrite when you're drinking my juice. The three points you raised started with me.

It takes 5 minutes to post something to the website. In the time it took you to count how many posts I've made to this thread (brilliant, by the way) he could have informed all his clients. You're telling me someone can't do that very important thing for 5 minutes of their time in the past 14 hours because they're under stress? It's bullshit. You can call it what you want.

It's not that I find your viewpoint annoying, it is that you feel you have to make 40+(!) posts in one single thread to make yourself heard, simply because most other posters have a different viewpoint than you. My gut feeling tells me that this is probably true for the other(s?) who mentioned it to you also...

It's not about "cultural sensitivities" but just basic forum etiquette. There are a lot of concerned people watching this thread and to make 40+ posts to say things that could be said in a few just seems a little excessive.

I agree with your viewpoint that Busoni have made some mistakes, such as those mentioned above. However, his general handling of this difficult situation has IMO been refreshingly positive compared to what we have seen from other exchanges that have encountered problems in the past.

My gut feeling (and how he dealt with the XCP theft) tells me that Poloniex will come out of this as one of the strongest and most trusted exchanges once this is behind us. Time will tell who of us is right.

This will be my last post on this.
jtpeters

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:43:13 PM

It's not that I find your viewpoint annoying, it is that you feel you have to make 40+(!) posts in one single thread to make yourself heard, simply because most other posters have a different viewpoint than you. My gut feeling tells me that this is probably true for the other(s?) who mentioned it to you also...

It's not about "cultural sensitivities" but just basic forum etiquette. There are a lot of concerned people watching this thread and to make 40+ posts to say things that could be said in a few just seems a little excessive.

I agree with your viewpoint that Busoni have made some mistakes, such as those mentioned above. However, his general handling of this difficult situation has IMO been refreshingly positive compared to what we have seen from other exchanges that have encountered problems in the past.

My gut feeling (and how he dealt with the XCP theft) tells me that Poloniex will come out of this as one of the strongest and most trusted exchanges once this is behind us. Time will tell who of us is right.

This will be my last post on this.

Thanks for your input. Time will tell. Hopefully, I am right about this not being a scam.
roncutt

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:43:44 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 09:08:23 PM by roncutt

Hi there! Thanks to the OP for his sincerity and a clear explanation of what happens. Really appreciated.

Question: Why not to keep that 12.3% stored, and maintain the original fees (not rising to 1.5%) and just keep the trading going?
The main inconvenience I see by doing this is that all of us will get our 12.3% BTC back way later, although at the same time I would like to stress out that IMHO trading will increase in the near future, for instance because the AUR, CGA gaining momentum plus BTC price rising, as it's been happening since a few days ago.

So, my point is: what's the problem with having that "stash" of 12.3% BTC and in the meantime accelerating the trading on the site? That would be a real "community" working together, IMHO.
More trading, more fees, same percentage.
More people invited to trade at Poloniex via promotions, more fees, etc.

Thanks for reading!
The best to all,

Ron.

PS: 12.3% is easy to earn in a couple of successful trades. Even with the AUR or other altcoin volatility that could be achieved in a few days of just holding. And at the same time it's easy to lose that amount as well, of course. What I'm trying to convey is the idea that that percentage is kind of part of the risk involved in a speculative market as this is. Keeping that amount frozen is to my understanding like keeping the earnings of a couple good trades apart. Remember, BTC price is rising (i.e. winkdex.com). It could even mean a good "forced investment". Thanks!
Morphling4047

Activity: 47
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:44:28 PM

Ok mate, I believe you and you have my suport.

I'm only 0.01BTC less on my balances on poloniex, so no big deal. If it can be fefunded, ok, if not, well, at least you were honest. Will keep seeing the improvemnts.

visji

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:47:19 PM

Poloniex just tweeted:
"Deposits credited since announcement will be temporarily reversed to avoid unfair deductions. They will be reprocessed soon."
https://twitter.com/Poloniex/status/440925782756446208

When someone that has posted above regarding their deposit gets their deposit back please post about it here.

I have put on a deposit for btc this morning (after the btc were stolen) and i just received my bitcoins.
To all people that have put btc on poloniex take a look if you received your coins.

Also i would like to point out that some people here are (morons)! do you have any idea how fragile this market can be and how many people are actually
trying to get rich quick. there are flaws in the system and someone will always be able to find a way to benefit from them.

Now if you all think at MTgox for 1 second you should be going to this owners house and kiss his feat for doing what he is doing instead of closing the market and say fuck you all i dont give a shit.
sure you lost 12.3% or something now but it is always better then losing everything, he is even looking to help everybody that lost something.

If you cant bare this, losing money, or waiting for a verifcation please go away and get a job!
mikeyfinn

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:00:34 PM

Ok, so my balance went down by 12.3% btc. No problem. Why are withdrawals still frozen?

Bitcoin: 1KZr3AvQ3m8NWEGbBPzFMFXbzHxpCbkbv4
Huntercoin: HQWSihm1WPJfjdPbeLfdVc6nsqrnJW5fYR
Sync: Si1MjELBXaffuNgEN4Zd3PkM9qzu9pq5k5
sleepless

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

“Crypto Depository Receipts”

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 09:19:10 PM

Ok, so my balance went down by 12.3% btc. No problem. Why are withdrawals still frozen?

Maybe he's working on the withdrawal-bug which caused all theses problems? Roll Eyes

The One
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:31:02 PM

Not sure exactly as not sure exactly what i had before as didn't write all 8 numbers after decimal. All i saw was 9 became 8 hence knew the reduction was being processed.

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

anonuser777

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:40:54 PM
Last edit: March 05, 2014, 12:34:36 AM by anonuser777

My balance has gone negative. I had very little BTC available before the hack, but had a few buy orders denominated in BTC. Looks like about 12% of the total BTC in my account has been removed (hence the negative balance). The buy orders are still there untouched.

EDIT: One of the buy orders has now been cancelled and I have a positive balance.
rramires

Activity: 231

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:43:22 PM

I would send today 3BTC to buy LTC, but something told me to send 0.1 BTC today for testing. They're in my account 0.1BTC. I think que is standard.

Queue, queue, queue ... that's right!
I developed a system of payments for the game and queuing processes and recording all log, I finally able to sleep soundly.

Another idea I've not seen in exchanges, after login, where people confirm checkbox they received your coins. It would be necessary, for each address, send a small value and confirm it has received.
Only after confirming, first checked in blockchain after the checkbox by own user, could make new withdrawals for different addresses.

As a developer I feel for you.  It is terrible when something like this happens.
busoni (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

Owner of Poloniex

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:46:16 PM

Please vote at this poll: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=500578

I just want to make sure we don't prefer option 3 before opening withdrawals, otherwise it's ready.

Poloniex.com - Fast crypto exchange with margin trading, advanced charts, and stop-limit orders
stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:58:22 PM

+1 Dev

Sensing a pattern?

I suppose you cannot come up with an intelligent or logical argument so personal attacks will suffice.

"You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe!"

Let's get back to being constructive, though we do not agree on all of our constructions. (But I suppose the lesser of us will continue the personal attacks while avoiding the elephant in the room.)
You can stop typing now. Thanks
MinermanNC
Legendary

Activity: 2198

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 09:58:36 PM

Hey just read your post on the issue. Thank you for being straight forward as to what happened and not hiding in silence as so many do. I will go with the flow and will continue to trade on your exchange so long as you do what you say, which by the way" you have with other issues. lets get it behind us, the sooner the better and make it right to those who have took a hit on BTC balance.
Good Luck!
MMNC

*BTC: 1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
PoCoMo

Activity: 9

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:02:39 PM

This blows bigtime. Shafted by Gox and now this.

If you go the shares route allow us to sell them. You could give us the 12.5% in poloniexCoins and let us sell them. Dividend would be paid out according to number of polCoins. Buybacks too.
scrap

Activity: 59

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:04:00 PM

i deposited some KDC over 1 hour ago and it hasnt shown up yet, not even unconfirmed.

810a84a7cf8f637ea9ae7459f18a270d51f88a7a625ebe5248c0d2557a6b4d05 - TxID

Please look into this?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: