Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:01:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FlexCoin used 2 FA and still got hacked!!!!! I'm out of this game  (Read 2211 times)
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 05:19:52 PM

2FA protects your account from unauthorized access but not from bankruptcy of the operator.
The only way to protect yoursemlf from bankruptcy of the operator is to check for regulatory compliance.

Use an exchange that is working with a regulated banking partner.
Read the ToS and check the banking information.
If you are sending fiat to a bank account by the name of the exchange, you are in hot water because they are using a corporate account to store your funds (bitstamp, btc-e, kraken, etc).
The bank account should bear the name of their banking partner (or your name) to ensure segregation of funds.

Bitcoin-central is the only exchange that is compliant (if somenone knows another please let me know!).
Anything else is illegal, period.

If you are using an OTC buyer/seller, only coinbase is working with a regulated partner (SVB) but that is only in the US.
Non real-time P2P marketplaces (such as bitcoin.de) are a different species since you do not send them fiat.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:06:54 PM

You do not own any bitcoins if you do not own teh private keys to them.

Newbie here.  So if I have a blockchain wallet and have the backup paper wallet, do I go ahead and delete my blockchain account until my next transaction...for now?

My recommendation: get a different, personal wallet that gives you more control, create a backup, test the new wallet with a small amount, and then move all of your coins there.

Now, for the sake of newbs thinking that using Armory, running USB sticks back and forth, etc. is a lot of trouble for a few bits, it might help if if you differentiate between hot and cold wallets.

A hot wallet is one you do your spending from, keep up-to-date, and have ready-to-use. It could be the Bitcoin-Qt client (or Multibit, Electrum, etc.,) or an Android app like Mycelium. (Using an online wallet for your hot wallet is a REALLY BAD IDEA.) You should only ever keep a small portion of your bitcoins in your hot wallet.

A cold wallet is one that rarely (ideally, never) touches the internet, and stores the bulk of your bitcoins. You use it to transfer small amounts to your hot wallet as needed, to receive funds from your hot wallet when its value starts getting too high, and to store your savings. It may be something like Armory, or an instance of Bitcoin-Qt running on a clean, spare Linux system that is normally kept turned off, or even a paper wallet with several keys (created offline, of course.) Different cold wallets have different levels of security; choose accordingly.

If you have a hot wallet and one or more cold wallets set up, you'll have the convenience of ready access to spending funds, plus you'll have extra security for the bulk of your bitcoins. Granted, if you only have a small amount of bitcoin (and plan to use them regularly) it's probably not worth the hassle to create and use a cold wallet, but 3 bitcoins (~$1800) is probably beyond the point at which one should have done so.

And since it apparently can't be said often enough: DO NOT USE AN ONLINE WALLET TO STORE BITCOINS. If you have an account on an exchange, only keep enough bitcoins there to make your next sale, and make your sale ASAP. Keep everything else in your personal hot and cold wallets; there is NO NEED to have anyone else "securely" store your bitcoins for you.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
bitbouillion

Activity: 868
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:25:06 PM

You do not own any bitcoins if you do not own teh private keys to them.

This.  It can't be said enough - if you don't own the keys, you don't own the coins.  You just have an IOU from someone.

And the someone you trust can do with your coins whatever he wants. They can act like a bank, which takes your cash without giving you a collateral, and do more or less risky things with that, they don't put it in a vault. As long nothing bad happens everyone is fine. But shit happens all the time. Nothing new.

aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 07:58:07 PM

FlexCoin was using 2 Factor authentication and it still got hacked!!!! Doesn't that scare you?

Everyone here seems to think that with 2 FA, you are covered. But your not!!!!

I lost only 3.11 bitcoins so far from cryptsy but I was a fool to think that 2 FA could have protected me if I had it turned on.

The public is turning their heads away from Bitcoin if this keeps happening. See my article here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=469752.new#new

this is basic stuff here:

if you keep your gold and silver in an exchange instead of physically in ur hand then u dont own gold or silver and u risk losing whatever paper gold and silver u think u own ..

if you keep your fiat money in a bank then u risk losing ur money to a bank bail-in ..

if you keep ur bitcoins in an exchange then u risk losing ur bitcoins ..
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:35:34 AM

But that is the biggest issue. How do you defend the back end?

I use to have a website and in my control panel, if I wanted to log into the back end, they would ask for a user name and password. And that is all.

And my understanding is that a password is not needed to gain access. Technology is fucked and that's why bitcoin prices are going to be held down because of that fear.

The issue is people STORING their coins on the exchange.  Don't do that, and you probably won't get goxxed.  Comprende?

Dimelord

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:37:15 AM

Dont keep your coins online. Simple as that.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: