Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:02:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shapeshift Membership  (Read 930 times)
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
November 13, 2018, 05:58:03 PM

How long do you think Binance will hold out for before making it mandatory? I don't think they will for long.
Binance fled to Malta not that long ago, and for the time being they are safe in my book. The only thing I expect them to do in the near future is to start rejecting US citizens in an attempt to shake off the US authorities.

Some of the largest exchanges have already been doing so for quite a while now, and it's the safest possible move because of how active the US authorities have been and will be getting in the coming years.

Anyone who thinks Malta won't immediately roll over when ordered to is delusional. It's purely a matter of time before the pressure is put on. Will Malta ignore the rest of the world and embrace one Chinese bloke or protect the 99.999% of their economy that isn't crypto related?

i'm not even sure they'd need to "roll over" per se. it's just their headquarters. when the USA government wants to shut something down, they go after the domain and servers. binance's domain can be easily seized by the feds, and wherever binance is hiding their servers, we've seen in the case of btc-e that it's probably not good enough.

even if they cut USA residents now, that may not save them either. for example, the 1broker charges went back to 2016, but charges weren't filed until last month.

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Financisto

Activity: 632
Merit: 768

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2018, 11:28:06 PM
Merited by leowonderful (1)

Reading all complaints here I assure you Decentralized Exchanges are the only way out of this problem (freezing/confiscation of coins)...

BTW don't forget those MtGox's style hackings...

More DEX liquidity is needed.

LIST • ESCROW providers • Ranking & Scores available!LIST • FOSS BrainwalletsBTC ⇆⚡⇄ BTCBTC aka BTC: 16MBvhaJoRBxW3Vk6apnvz3UYT9HAgraVS ⚡ PGP: 2680207AA9A1B69FE7A033D80DE0F221074384C4 ⚡ If you think freedom matters, please support the development of these privacy projects→DONATE some sats: TailsQubes OSWhonixVeraCryptPicocryptKryptorSimpleX Chat
audereyy

Activity: 96
Merit: 25

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 05:01:03 PM

I wish they will stop forcing 2FA for registration soon because this is very stupid. One can't be a member just because he doesn't want to use 2FA and doesn't have any problem with securing his passwords.
xtests

Activity: 33
Merit: 46

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 05:19:28 PM

lol indeed, i didn't register on there for the exactly same reason. The idiotism is they already implement two-factor with personal unique codes and after that they require one more two-factor with google and sms. fuck that
milewilda
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1127

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 05:49:59 PM

I wish they will stop forcing 2FA for registration soon because this is very stupid. One can't be a member just because he doesn't want to use 2FA and doesn't have any problem with securing his passwords.

lol indeed, i didn't register on there for the exactly same reason. The idiotism is they already implement two-factor with personal unique codes and after that they require one more two-factor with google and sms. fuck that
It do sucks but you cant do anything about it since its their protocol and if you do tend to make use of their service then you wont really have any choice but to comply with it.
Security is always been important but  i dont know why it would really be needed it on a fast swap platform.

AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 23, 2018, 06:19:02 PM

It do sucks but you cant do anything about it since its their protocol and if you do tend to make use of their service then you wont really have any choice but to comply with it.
Security is always been important but  i dont know why it would really be needed it on a fast swap platform.
Because people from higher up the chain (goverments) probably asked ShapeShift to do so.

Despite Shapeshift saying that this isn't the case, i wouldn't believe for a second that if they weren't pressured by US government/SEC/other legal entities, they still would've implemented these stupid 2FA mechanics/their membership levels. As i said before, it completely destroys their business model and the (only) advantage that they had over binance.

And their traffic keeps dropping. https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/shapeshift.io
(Although, this is more or less the case with ALL exchanges, so it's not exactly a fair metric, still though, it seems to be dropping faster than eg binance..)

leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 24, 2018, 12:51:25 AM

they do that because most people have a mobile that is tied to their identity. all part of a larger plan to map the blockchain. It's certainly not for your safety, that's for sure. If it was about safety, paper based 2-factor codes would be the obvious solution...nobody does that except LBC...ask yourself why.  Angry

The fact that they  do not hold your funds but use this shit, speaks for itself. There is no security needed at all, but they enforce google/SMS  Grin

Truth is the new hatespeech.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: