Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:27:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A solution to the Merit and sMerit situation?  (Read 399 times)
adekogbe (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 21

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 06:32:10 AM

I woke up this morning to several new topics about junior members without merits getting downgraded to newbie rank.

I think this move will put in check a lot of unnecessary spamming going on in this forum by users who own multiple accounts, are less concerned about adding value and who's sole aim is to gather bounty rewards.

That said, I believe there has to be a feasible and Achievable solution to the merit system as I believe the posts that get rewarded with merits are on a decline.

1. A suggestion that comes to my mind is the addition of more meditation sources to this forum in the form of moderators who Can award merits to forum users who have added real value

2. The second Idea that rings in my mind is this; Forum users with a certain amount of available sMerits should not be eligible to get more merits until they have awarded another member with a merit for adding value to this forum

I believe with this and a few more measures by this forums moderators the merits will be better distributed among the members who are constantly adding value to Bitcointalk

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jrashid

Activity: 154
Merit: 26

Need Forum Moderator?? PM me.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 06:39:09 AM

1. A suggestion that comes to my mind is the addition of more meditation sources to this forum in the form of moderators who Can award merits to forum users who have added real value
There is a total of 120 merit sources and theymos will continue adding more if someone fulfill the requirements.
With help from DdmrDdmr, I just added 36 new merit sources, which should help newbies achieve the requirement.
Learn more- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats=sources

2. The second Idea that rings in my mind is this; Forum users with a certain amount of available sMerits should not be eligible to get more merits until they have awarded another member with a merit for adding value to this forum

This one can be considered. It will boost up the people who are lazy in spending merit.
adekogbe (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 07:00:18 AM

There is a total of 120 merit sources and theymos will continue adding more if someone fulfill the requirements.
With help from DdmrDdmr, I just added 36 new merit sources, which should help newbies achieve the requirement.

This one can be considered. It will boost up the people who are lazy in spending merit.
Thanks for that reply, I have seen that "There are 120 merit sources with a total merit generation of up to 23045 sMerit per 30 days"
Now my question is, is this nearly enough? Considering the amount of active users and messages in this forum daily?
I doubt that

Jrashid

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 07:04:43 AM

is this nearly enough? Considering the amount of active users and messages in this forum daily?
I doubt that

Well, it's not enough if we consider the number of active users and posts. But considering the quality of active users and posts, I think 120 sources are quite enough right now. Also, admin is open to accept new merit sources, IMO. But I think there is no qualitative one left who is willing to be merit source.
pokxon

Activity: 490
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 07:08:28 AM

There are hundreds of posts and thousands of good comments every day. Do you think 23050 sMerit is enough for everyone every 30 days?
You have 12 merits for yourself. Do you think you will give someone a merit? That's the question I give you. You are striving to become a full member and everyone also wants merit to improve their rankings so it is difficult to get merit for posts.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  Guider.travel  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Jrashid

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 07:57:23 AM
Merited by theymos (1)

Do you think 23050 sMerit is enough for everyone every 30 days?
23050 sMerits are not enough but,
How much sMerits will we get from those? Half= 11525, again, half= 6762.5, and thus, it will be continued. Have you considered those?

Also, there are a lot of existing sMerits.

You have 12 merits for yourself. Do you think you will give someone a merit? That's the question I give you. You are striving to become a full member and everyone also wants merit to improve their rankings so it is difficult to get merit for posts.

I think you are messing up the merit and sMerit. Your merit point will never decrease if you give sMerit. That's what you need to know.
JetAid

Activity: 122
Merit: 20

Jet Cash's better half

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 08:01:51 AM

A really, really bad idea. Merits are used to indicate community approval of posting. This is the primary function, and if you stop awarding them to good posters, there is a possibility that they will stop posting.

One unfortunate aspect of the current merit system is that it generates a vast number of low value posts from members who complain about it. If you step back and think about this, you will realise that a one month ban on anyone who complains about the merit system will improve the quality of posting by a dramatic amount.

I disabled Fit to Talk registrations because of applications by non-member spammers. Click here to send me a PM if you would like to join.
ND_INVEST

Activity: 102
Merit: 3

Purchase real estate and cars at discounted prices

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 08:18:45 AM

While the general idea seems appealing, it is also intuitively wrong to force someone to send merits. I think it would be fair if sMerits of a person who didn't merit anyone in, say, a month,  were disappearing or even being trasnferred to some people who are meriting others on a very regular basis.
I also think that it could be very good if there was a limit of merits to be sent for one post. I can see that sometimes people are receiving 10 merits for a post that doesn't make any sense at all.
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1218

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 08:44:03 AM

I woke up this morning to several new topics about junior members without merits getting downgraded to newbie rank.
Theymos' made a new addition to the forum policies. I think it is an apt decision which was being talked about for a long time now.

That said, I believe there has to be a feasible and Achievable solution to the merit system as I believe the posts that get rewarded with merits are on a decline.
Cant help it mate. If the merit sources dont see merit-worthy posts they simple wont give you merits. Grin

Number of merit sources has increased with the new newbie restrictions.

You are talking about a rule that would restrict the actions of members who have "earned merits". Imposing a restriction on them would be a feasible solution. People merit posts as and when they wish. If you force them to send out their merits, it will create an unhealthy atmosphere. Let alone the dearth in the posts that deserve any merit at all.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 09:35:10 AM

[...]
I think this move will put in check a lot of unnecessary spamming going on in this forum by users who own multiple accounts, are less concerned about adding value and who's sole aim is to gather bounty rewards.
[...]
Unfortunately, this will not stop you from spamming as you usually do... 

I randomly picked 2 posts from your post history:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4508910.msg45654874#msg45654874 (page 34)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2252159.msg45653463#msg45653463 (page 76)

Do you think anyone will read your replies? Do they bring something new to the topic? Will anyone see the signature you're displaying? The answer is NO to all of course...

As I said it in the announcement thread, I would have gone with a more drastic approach of up to 5 merits required to rank-up to Jr. member.
But this cannot be the only solution to this, shitty campaign managers need to be banned to stop the spam & carelessness that is financed by them.
Crypto Girl

Activity: 980
Merit: 294

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 09:47:34 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2018, 10:09:02 AM by Crypto Girl

is this nearly enough? Considering the amount of active users and messages in this forum daily?
I doubt that

Well, it's not enough if we consider the number of active users and posts. But considering the quality of active users and posts, I think 120 sources are quite enough right now. Also, admin is open to accept new merit sources, IMO. But I think there is no qualitative one left who is willing to be merit source.
Theymos had already added more merit sources to be able to cope this issue.

With help from DdmrDdmr, I just added 36 new merit sources, which should help newbies achieve the requirement. But if you're incapable of posting anything worthwhile, then you will never rank up, and you shouldn't: this isn't the forum for you.

There are hundreds of posts and thousands of good comments every day. Do you think 23050 sMerit is enough for everyone every 30 days?
Maybe I'm just blind or what for not seeing those hundreds of good comments and all I'm seeing are copy paste, repetitive and nonsense post. Just contribute good and senseful ideas in the forum and you'll be surprise that someone appreciate your idea.

I use this provider to trade Cryptos : Bitcoin Revolution
adekogbe (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 10:14:52 AM

[...]
[...]
Unfortunately, this will not stop you from spamming as you usually do... 

I randomly picked 2 posts from your post history:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4508910.msg45654874#msg45654874 (page 34)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2252159.msg45653463#msg45653463 (page 76)

Do you think anyone will read your replies? Do they bring something new to the topic? Will anyone see the signature you're displaying? The answer is NO to all of course...

As I said it in the announcement thread, I would have gone with a more drastic approach of up to 5 merits required to rank-up to Jr. member.
But this cannot be the only solution to this, shitty campaign managers need to be banned to stop the spam & carelessness that is financed by them.
I read those my posts you referenced and they were neither off topic nor spam. The only issue in point I think you have in that regard is the page with which they appear.

However, when I went through some of your posts i discovered that most of them are replies to topics you have created and while very few of those topics have more than 2 pages.
There is this post that appears on page (258) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.msg45815745#msg45815745

Now my question is; do you think commenting on topics with lots of replies should be disabled?
If no, then why talk down about people who do?
If yes, do you really think that will reduce spamming since people will just keep creating the same topics and repeating the same questions

Additionally   while going through some of your posts, I could see posts by different people whom I believe have added insight and value to the conversation, sometimes before you do. But these people don't get merits and you do. What would you say about that?

Reminds me of  a certain quote from animal farm "All animals are equal, but..."

vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 11:07:14 AM

I read those my posts you referenced and they were neither off topic nor spam. The only issue in point I think you have in that regard is the page with which they appear.
You still don't see how wrong you are and that's terribly bad... You are creating hundreds of spam posts by replying to trivial threads uselessly, nobody will read them.
It's not only about the page they are on.

Please take my advice and try to improve your posting otherwise you will never learn anything about crypto and people like you will kill BitCoinTalk.
Theymos is fighting people like you by placing restrictions that apply to good posters too in threads like: Enhanced newbie restrictions & requirements

However, when I went through some of your posts i discovered that most of them are replies to topics you have created and while very few of those topics have more than 2 pages.
There is this post that appears on page (258) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.msg45815745#msg45815745
You may not be aware of this, but that thread was last edited today by theymos. This change was expected for a log time and I was glad it was implemented.
As opposed to the topics where you post that are spam from the beginning, this actually was a new.

I also see I joined about 2 months ahead of you (with 0 merit by default) and you only have received 3 merit. That should say something on the quality of the posts you are creating and maybe encourage you to change.
Unfortunately, that's not true, you keep spamming and getting your $2/week  Roll Eyes
macshad

Activity: 280
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 11:29:38 AM

You still don't see how wrong you are and that's terribly bad... You are creating hundreds of spam posts by replying to trivial threads uselessly, nobody will read them.

Please take my advice and try to improve your posting otherwise you will never learn anything about crypto and people like you will kill BitCoinTalk.
Theymos is fighting people like you by placing restrictions that apply to good posters too in threads like: Enhanced newbie restrictions & requirements

You may not be aware of this, but that thread was last edited today by theymos. This change was expected for a log time and I was glad it was implemented.
As opposed to the topics where you post that are spam from the beginning, this actually was a new.

I also see I joined about 2 months ahead of you (with 0 merit by default) and you only have received 3 merit. That should say something on the quality of the posts you are creating and maybe encourage you to change.
Unfortunately, that's not true, you keep spamming and getting your $2/week  Roll Eyes

I dont understand why both of you are arguing and fighting about this , at least the new rule doesn't even affect you, because right now it's really affecting some of us
adekogbe (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2018, 12:30:23 AM

Unfortunately, that's not true, you keep spamming and getting your $2/week  Roll Eyes
You claimed you joined 2 months ahead of me with zero merits by default.
This point can easily be misleading but I am sure you know better. Why?
Fact remains anyone that joined this forum by October 2017 and is active on this forum would have easily gotten to member or full member rank before the merits system was introduced earlier this year. So my dear friend, it was not so hard after all.
However,  i think I can sense some anger in your texts, common you do not need to throw shots my way, I thought we were sharing opinions.  Wink

bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
September 18, 2018, 09:19:08 PM

Maybe it's not enough today, but I doubt it...
But let's see this in a week or two... If we start to report newbies with 1000s and 2000s of shitposts (former Jr. members in bounty campaigns), banning them will mean nuking them, which also means the deletion of their posts... If we nuke a few newbie of this kind the forum will less crowded, and the 'normal' posts will be easier to find to merit them...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: