Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:44:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Enhanced newbie restrictions & requirements  (Read 41249 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5138
Merit: 12565

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 04:27:20 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2018, 04:40:40 AM by theymos
Merited by Wapinter (18), Foxpup (15), yahoo62278 (10), Mr. Big (10), EFS (6), mprep (5), hilariousandco (5), Cyrus (5), abel1337 (5), yogg (5), o_e_l_e_o (5), paxmao (5), fcmatt (5), krishnapramod (5), Landak (5), suchmoon (4), FlamingFingers (4), cissrawk (4), malevolent (2), mindrust (2), SFR10 (2), DarkStar_ (2), pugman (2), TheBeardedBaby (2), 0t3p0t (2), dinda22 (2), Aleister Crowley (2), chimk (2), SparkleToken (2), NeuroticFish (1), qwk (1), hopenotlate (1), LoyceV (1), examplens (1), Lafu (1), sunsilk (1), pawel7777 (1), mu_enrico (1), DdmrDdmr (1), The Cryptovator (1), abhiseshakana (1), morvillz7z (1), john1010 (1), kamvreto (1), sapta (1), Initscri (1), jhenfelipe (1), chris200x9 (1), adjiadjo (1), andycarrol (1), AngelSky (1), Arteezy.rtx (1), as9ardia (1), Be_Happy (1), akashark (1), chamika888 (1), mightwalker (1), vphasitha01 (1), Dont trust for money (1)

Due to excessive garbage-posting, you now need 1 merit to be a Jr Member. All existing Jr Members who didn't meet the requirement were demoted. Also, newbies can no longer set any signature or personal text.

Note that this does not affect:
 - PM rate-limiting, which is based purely on activity & whitelisted status.
 - "You must wait ___ seconds...", which is based purely on activity & whitelisted status.

But it does affect:
 - Voting in polls
 - Patroller jurisdiction
 - The "ignore newbie PMs" option.
 - "The body is omitted from this email because the sender is a newbie."
 - BBCode limits
 - Reduced-accuracy link filtering
 - Board restrictions

Many of these limitations can be eliminated with a copper membership. In particular, you can set a signature at Member level if you wear a copper membership.

One reason that I was hesitant to do this before is that there are an awful lot of newbie restrictions, and I don't want the forum to be unwelcoming to good newbies. I'll think about tying some of those to activity instead of rank in the future.

With help from DdmrDdmr, I just added 36 new merit sources, which should help newbies achieve the requirement. But if you're incapable of posting anything worthwhile, then you will never rank up, and you shouldn't: this isn't the forum for you.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 04:35:02 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2018, 04:57:59 AM by theymos
Merited by bluefirecorp_ (1)

P.S. I copied all of the signatures and personal texts before wiping them from the demoted users. If bounty managers need info about this, send me a PM like "Please send me a list of all demoted users who had '_______' in their signature".

Lafu
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 3011

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 04:37:34 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2018, 05:33:13 AM by Lafu

Thats realy good News about !

Thanks for that , hopefully this will be reduce a little the Spam !  

But i guess a lot of Crying Babies coming now and want a pacifier !  LOL   Cheesy

Realy awesome work theymos , and there is now more hope for a clean  Forum !

joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1785

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 04:43:37 AM
Merited by The Sceptical Chymist (1)

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 04:48:21 AM

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that some existing merit sources seem to have gotten a source size increase as well, so there should be much more merit flowing.

taking a break - expect delayed responses
mu_enrico
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 2124

Slots Enthusiast & Expert

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 04:59:01 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2018, 06:37:51 AM by mu_enrico

Yeah, I understand that it feels a little bit too harsh to implement this new system. However, it helps to contain the current spam problem. According to:

<...>
Translated: On local board (altcoin), we have more than 10,000 new posts every two weeks! This is insane since local patrollers can only review 100 posts every week.

These 10,000 posts are majority shitposts! One merit is not a big deal, so I think this is fair.

<...>
Grin Grin

Edit let me use this opportunity to shill my Newbie's Guide to Getting Merit (Proven)

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 05:03:51 AM

I think you should consider the ability to buy merit for yourself. You can already effectively do this by way of purchasing a copper membership. Based upon the fact that well under 1% of active users have received a single merit, there need to be additional ways for people who do not post garbage to rank up.

Further, if people are buying access to additional features such as signatures, they have an added incentive to not post crap, and the cost will serve as a deterrent to those who have ranked up from posting complete garbage. 
Piggy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1416

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 05:10:38 AM

is going to be interesting to see how in the short-medium terms these changes are affecting the number of users registered and the number of messages posted, in particular under the altcoin board. There may be some underground merit market to rank up perhaps, but these are good and needed changes.  Smiley
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 05:11:05 AM
Merited by Foxpup (4), frodocooper (1)

I think you should consider the ability to buy merit for yourself. You can already effectively do this by way of purchasing a copper membership. Based upon the fact that well under 1% of active users have received a single merit, there need to be additional ways for people who do not post garbage to rank up.

Buying merit or normal ranks is like buying yourself a bunch of trophies to put on your shelf. It's stupid, and it's an insult to everyone who achieved it legitimately. I can't see ever doing that. I don't particularly mind letting people pay for some of the privileges of these things, such as with copper membership, but it should be a parallel system.

Copper membership is good. Now, if you want to participate in signature campaigns, you can either pay the $10-$20 for copper membership or accomplish the herculean task of making one good post. I don't think that it's unreasonable in either case.

If people are making good posts but are still struggling to get merit, then that's a problem with the merit system and should be fixed on my end. Demanding money in order to bypass a broken system would be really bad. But AFAICT the merit system actually is reasonably effective at identifying good posters.

pentol86

Activity: 851
Merit: 254

Borderless for People, Frictionless for Banks

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 05:11:36 AM

wow, a pretty brave announcement Friend ..
indeed it will not please everyone. However, for the common good, we really need to take decisive action.
Hopefully the Jr. Members who go down are getting more enthusiastic and the forums are getting better quality.
 Grin

=====================================================
BILLCRYPT - CREATING HISTORY
=====================================================
cabalism13
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1165

🤩Finally Married🤩

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 05:15:11 AM
Merited by hilariousetc (1)

This might be our salvation Cheesy

We've been waiting for these things to be implemented but still...
I Smell Merit Giveaways...  Grin from those who've reach the default Member Ranks.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that some existing merit sources seem to have gotten a source size increase as well, so there should be much more merit flowing.

I think it will be the next issue to be resolve. theymos already added some Merit Sources

Quote from: theymos
With help from DdmrDdmr, I just added 36 new merit sources, which should help newbies achieve the requirement.

Then next is the change/addition of Mods in particular sections/boards.

So if you want to participate in signature campaigns, you can either pay the $10-$20 for copper membership or accomplish the herculean task of making one good post.
Is it possible to make an adjustment again? Let the Campaigns be on the Member Ranks and above only?
Just to ensure a big number of possibilities on quality posters will increase.
S00rabh

Activity: 44
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 05:15:59 AM

I started a month or two back so I dont mind. And This totally makes sense. But As a user I never look at Rank.
darth_cryptorider

Activity: 470
Merit: 16

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 05:18:21 AM
Merited by xandry (1), hilariousetc (1), Xal0lex (1)

I hope it will help reduce spam a little bit, but unfortunately for account farmers, 1 merit is not a big deal they always can buy it.
nyoach

Activity: 92
Merit: 2

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 05:23:17 AM
Merited by OgNasty (1), posi (1)

Still enjoy every rule made by the administrator of this forum and of course, the goal is very good, even though I have not been able to contribute in it  Cry and giving up is not the last choice, keep on getting excited  Grin
Jrashid

Activity: 154
Merit: 26

Need Forum Moderator?? PM me.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 05:26:49 AM

All Jr Members are now demoted to newbie= More visitors into meta. Lol.
It would be better if Jr Member requires 5 merits. Having 1 merit is really easy task. Also, it will increase the abuse a little more.

1 merit is not a big deal they always can buy it.
They don't need to buy, they already have 100 of account. They can easily distribute 1,1,1,1...... which will also not be suspicious merit abusing.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 16270

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 05:27:04 AM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

I understand that this affects the display of images created by TS.
~
help me, I ask you
Get a Copper Membership, and your images show up again.

I've seen mine go up by 20 sMerit twice so far (based on counting how many I've sent in the past 30 days, and how many I have left).

Thanks theymos! This means the many Jr. Member spambots can now be nuked! I've seen them with hundreds up to 1000+ posts without earning a single Merit.

With help from DdmrDdmr, I just added 36 new merit sources, which should help newbies achieve the requirement. But if you're incapable of posting anything worthwhile, then you will never rank up, and you shouldn't: this isn't the forum for you.
For later reference:
There are 120 merit sources with a total merit generation of up to 23045 sMerit per 30 days

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
nkampala

Activity: 66
Merit: 62

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 05:30:07 AM

Don't forget to also update the merit & rank requirement page. There's going to be a ton of people who come asking/complaining about it regardless, but having the accurate info is important
siddartha1492

Activity: 952
Merit: 284

In love with Bitcoin!! 💓💕

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2018, 05:34:55 AM

I think that's the perfect balance you could make Theymos. 1 merit might be difficult to obtain but not very difficult. For newbies it is actually easier as the diamonds are more easily recognizable when in between coals. Plus removing the signature feature for newbies will surely help reduce spam.

huydai

Activity: 238
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 05:44:58 AM

very much bouty need jr member . and difficult to have a metrit i have 238 activity but not get metrit . today i become newbie verry sad i think better if need 200 activity to become jr. even 5p i can post 1 that meaning i only can work 20 bouty for a day before i can made 100 . what can i do now give up a dream become a bouty man find a other work ?
ralle14
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1870

dice9.win

View Profile
September 17, 2018, 05:46:14 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2018, 05:59:57 AM by ralle14

It would be better if Jr Member requires 5 merits. Having 1 merit is really easy task. Also, it will increase the abuse a little more.
That's probably the next plan if 1 merit is not enough. It's one way to flush out the smerits from these abusers until they have none to send.

today i become newbie verry sad i think better if need 200 activity to become jr
This suggestion is only better for you. Without a merit requirement for Jr members these spammers would just farm activity then continue once they reach the required activity.

.dice9.win.░░░░▄▄█████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀████▄
░█████▀██▀█████
█████▀█████▀█████
█████▄█████▄█████
████▄▀▀█▀▀▄▄████
░████▄▀█▄█▀▄████
░░▀████▄▄████▀
░░░░▀▀█████▀▀
████
░░░░░░█████████

███████

░░░░▄▄█████▄▄░░█████
░░▄████▀▀████▄
░████▀░░░░▀████
████▄▄█▀█▄▄████
██░░███░░░███░░██
████▀▀█▄█▀▀████
░████▄░░░░▄████
░░▀████▄▄████▀
░░░░▀▀█████▀▀
         ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄
     ▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄
   ▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
 ▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄▀
▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░▄▀
 ▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
   ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
COIN FLIP
       ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▄▄
█▀▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀░█
█░░░▀▀▀▄▄▄░░░▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░█
█░░░░░░░░░▀█▀░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░█
 ▀▀▄▄░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░▄▄▀▀
     ▀▀░░░░▀░░░░░░░▀
DICE
      ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▄▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀█▄   ▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄█▀▀▀░░░░▀▀▀▀▄▄▄
█░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░▄▀▀▀░█░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▀█
█░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░█▀▀▀▄█░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀░░░█
█░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░█░░░░█▀▀▀▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░█
█░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░█░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█
 ▀▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░░█░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█
   ▀▄▄░░░░█░░░░░░░▄▄▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█
      ▀░░░░░░░░░▀▀░░░░░░░░▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀
TWO DICE
▄█▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀ ░░░▄▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▄░░░░▀█▄
▄▀▀█▄▄▀▀▀▀░░░▄▀░░▀▄░░░▀▀▀▀▄▄█▀▀▄
▄█▀▀█▀▄ ░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░ ▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀█▄
▄▀░░░█░░░▀▄░░░░█░░░░░░░░░ █░░░░▄▀░░░█░░░▀▄
█░░▄▀░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░ ▀▄▄▀░░░░░░▀▄░░█
█░▄▀░░░░░▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄░░░░░▀▄░█
█▀░░▄▄▀▀▀░░ ░▀▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▀ ░░░▀▀▀▄▄░░▀█
▀▄▀▀░░░░░░░   ░░▀▀▀▄░░▄▀▀▀░░      ░░░░▀▀▄▀

ETHEROLL
..PLAY NOW..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »
  Print  

Jump to: