Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 09:53:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should newbies be restricted again?  (Read 3209 times)
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 12:46:01 AM

1 hour online before you can reply
2 hours online before you can post a topic

Vouch system for expediting non-spammers through.

Or something like that.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 07:00:44 PM

I've already posted a few times about this in the other thread, the one that announced that newbie restrictions are lifted, but I'd like to summarize it once more here:

I would really love to see some form of a simplified 'approval' system for new users: Newbies are at first restricted to only post in a dedicated 'newbie' board, where ideally they should be asking questions about the protocol, how to securely set up a wallet, etc... just generally posting and showing that they can adhere to good form.

Now, any user who is a member for, say, 1 year or longer can go there and 'approve' a newly registered account. The standards for this 'approval' should be rather low: it doesn't mean we would only approve new accounts that made super-smart posts, but rather that if you see an account that has 5 or 10 posts, and is not yet approved, and you get the impression he's well behaved, you 'approve' him, i.e. he can post anywhere in the forum.

If that never happens, then after some time (say, 1 week maybe) the account is auto-approved.

The result would be that decently behaving new users would get approval more or less immediately after making a few posts in a restricted forum, and those who are too lazy to do that will eventually be able to post as well -- but hopefully the *impatient* trolls would have it harder.

The idea behind the above is a bit like how some of the Wikipedia projects have 'sighted' versions of articles: anyone can edit an article, but it takes an established account to confirm that an edit wasn't spam/trolling, and mark the article as 'sighted'.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
andyatcrux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:33:52 AM

Absolutely. Newbie's should be restricted and definitely should not be allowed to post on the Announcement pages to promote new shit coins. I have invested in some noob coins myself, after some considerably communication and research of the devs, but would trade it in a heartbeat to see the other 99 out of 100 threads that are B.S. be eliminated from this site.
mexxer

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:10:28 PM

there was an increase in "send x.xx btc and get xxxxx btc in return" in gambling section, it's still a gamble though with a 0.0000000000000000000 odds.
anyway restricting them encourage them to buy accounts and it doesn't matter.

atc1

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:12:56 PM

"I'm sorry to say the lifting of the 'newbie' restrictions has made the board noticeably worse. To the point where I am seriously considering to stop using "my" subforum (speculation).

The number of new accounts aggressively opening useless threads is through the roof. I never had to put so many people on ignore as in the last week. And all of that, despite the subforum being run by a very competent mod (Blitz).

All in all, it really backfired, and I sincerely ask you to cohinsider adjusting your decision.

How about the following: Allow sub-forum mods to set a certain 'activity' value that a user has to have reached before he can post in this forum, and keep at least one forum unrestricted ('beginners' comes to mind), so the newbies can earn their activity points there.

I'm not proposing anything elitist here, so maybe you could rule out too high activity numbers being set for a sub-forum, but some "credence check" really seems necessary to keep signal/noise in acceptable levels."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=423995.msg5020743#msg5020743

This guy understands.

pioter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:06:02 PM

faken newbies worst plague of bittalk.org should be restricted to 1 post per hour and no new topicos

plis send btc : 1Dh194qAHCejvAYtS54j2n5p6MoK85PmcQ
jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:53:03 PM

they must be restricted!!!
Todamont

Activity: 604
Merit: 273

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:41:56 AM