Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:08:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FOR SALE - D750 750W Server PSU Breakout Boards  (Read 47357 times)
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 07:01:55 AM
Last edit: October 15, 2014, 10:16:16 PM by sidehack

sales@gekkoscience.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you may have been following the development thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=379677.0

What I have designed is a board that interfaces to a Dell PE2950 server power supply, part Z750P or N750P. These supplies are rated for 750W output (12V, 62.4A) and, being industrial-grade, are designed to sustain rated outputs almost indefinitely.

The PSU boards themselves socket onto the server supply and break the 12V out to screw terminals for attaching cables. We also have 18" 16AWG PCIe 6-pin cables available for sale with the boards.

Some of the features/benefits of these boards and supplies:
 - Ability to load-balance multiple supplies in parallel for redundancy or higher outputs
 - Replacement supplies can be found for less than $20, compared to >$100 for comparable performance consumer supply
 - If a supply fails, replace it by unplug/replug without having to touch wiring
 - User-defined wiring means no octopus of unnecessary cables
 - External power-on signal, can be wired to a "master" PSU so multiple supplies turn on simultaneously and automatically
 ---- Can be wired to an ATX supply to function as additional 12V "rails" on GPU rigs
 - >90% efficiency across most of the load range
 - Integrated current measurement, you can keep track of actual load consumption*
 - Integrated 3.3VSB and 5VDC 2A supplies
 - Internal and external fan speed control for PSU's internal cooling fan

*current measure is not officially supported (inaccurate measurement) in V0.4 boards, currently the only ones available, but the issue was fixed on the V0.5 boards which will start shipping probably in about two weeks.

The actual product page is http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/D750_supply_breakout_board.html

One supply will easily support two Cubes on full overclock or two stock-speed AntMiner S1 units. Some testing was done with two overclocked AntMiner S1 operating but I don't recommend it. I do have four S1 at 400MHz running flawlessly off three supplies load-balanced; I should be able to add a fifth without overloading. I also have one running a GPU in my workstation, using the EON input tied to the ATX supply so it powers on with the rest of the computer.

The current offering is Reduced-Feature boards, which do not have Current Sense or 5VDC. These features were not often used, so removing them by default saves the customer money. They also have a smaller fan-speed pot and a push-on/push-off power button because we were having reports of toggle switches breaking off. We can, by request, populate boards to the previous standard (toggle, fan knob, current sense, 5VDC) for any order.

Pricing on Reduced-Feature Boards:
1-5 $28 apiece
6-10 $26 apiece
10-25 $24 apiece.

Pricing on 16AWG 6-pin PCIe Cables:
18" $3.50 apiece
36" $4.50 apiece

Full Kits include 1xZ750P PSU, 1xInterface Board, 4x 18" cables for $55

Shipping will be fulfilled by USPS Priority. Domestic shipping rate estimates:

Up to 5 boards + 20 cables, $10
Up to 20 boards + 80 cables, $20
Up to 3 full kits, $15

We accept both PayPal and BTC payments, where BTC will be based off the dollar value and a CoinBase exchange grabbed randomly sometime during the day.

For ordering information, email "sales@gekkoscience.com" and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. We are shipping from standing stock.
If you have questions about anything and want a more-or-less immediate answer, either read the development thread or use the email above.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 07:40:04 PM

looks great!

hope you can get some lower prices on the next batch though Wink

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:16:56 PM

+1 for a great guy, we have well over 200 of these without an issue Smiley
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:54:45 PM

hope you can get some lower prices on the next batch though

We could save on costs by outsourcing manufacture to China, but I'll be in my grave before I give away American jobs. As it is, the price is dictated by the cost of materials and labor. We're looking at ways to alter the board design on a future batch to reduce assembly time and save a bit of materials, but that won't kick in for a while. Quality materials and quality workmanship (at least that's what we're trying to do) are more important to me than most anything else.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:33:05 AM

hope you can get some lower prices on the next batch though

We could save on costs by outsourcing manufacture to China, but I'll be in my grave before I give away American jobs. As it is, the price is dictated by the cost of materials and labor. We're looking at ways to alter the board design on a future batch to reduce assembly time and save a bit of materials, but that won't kick in for a while. Quality materials and quality workmanship (at least that's what we're trying to do) are more important to me than most anything else.

I like your attitude! +1

Personally though, I would rather put that money towards an warrantied ATX PSU or spend an hour and $10 of supplies to do some home soldering Wink

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Suave

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:04:01 AM

So could I hook up as many 2.5mm 12V power cords as I want to these terminals as long as I stay under 750W total? I am looking at buying some of these if this is possible. Basically I would like to hook up about 50 Gridseed asics.

So 50 of these 2.5mm power cords. http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/PHILMORETC218.jpg

Let me know.

Thanks.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:57:55 AM

If you can fit 'em all under the screw terminals, sure.

warrantied ATX PSU or spend an hour and $10 of supplies to do some home soldering

Which if the ATX failed, you'd have to redo all your wiring when you replace it. Also if you can find a warranteed ATX that'll reliably put out 750W all day every day at 91% efficiency for this price tag, good find. At the utility rates I'm paying in central MO, the difference between 85% and 91% at 750W output means an extra $40 a year just in electric bills, per supply. And good luck getting two of them to run in parallel if you need a single load greater than 750W; unless they're stupidly tightly regulated you'll quite possibly smoke one and trip out the other.

For $10 in parts can you have easily changeable wiring options, fan speed control, an efficient 5VDC 2A auxilary source, a built-in current meter and the ability to turn the supply on from an external signal? I'm all for people doing stuff for themselves, but I'm also all for supplying well-made stuff to the people that would rather not, and all for making something simple, reliable and with a respectably useful feature set. You are probably not my target customer. In fact I am not my target customer either, as proven by that I'm building them myself instead of waiting for someone else to make and sell it.

BotwinBG

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:07:40 AM

---- Can be wired to an ATX supply to function as additional 12V "rails" on GPU rigs

How can that be done? My dog tore apart the "manual" you sent me Smiley So, any pictures or whatever would be nice.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:13:59 PM

Wire a female molex to the EON pin. Anything above 3V should kick it on.

nachius

Activity: 546

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:53:41 PM

Sidehack can you confirm these are yours?

https://www.minersource.net/products/dell-750w-psu-slash-adapter

zulover

Activity: 583

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:55:06 PM

ANY CHANCE OF USING these with some of the 1000 watt and above server psu, as that wouldallow 3 ants to be connected overclocked.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:09:11 PM

Yes, minersource bought quite a few. Most are being used, but they're reselling some of them also.

These boards are built to connect with one specific power supply, which outputs 750W. They cannot be used with any other supply unless the connector is mechanically and electrically identical. I know of none meeting this criteria, but it's possible something exists somewhere. When I'm not attempting to maintain a small business, manufacturing everything ever, and occasionally sleeping, I'm prototyping for DPS-800 (850-1000W) and DPS-2000 (2000+W) power supplies also.

If you need to run 3 Ants overclocked, you can link two boards load-balanced and provide 1500W. I currently have 4 overclocked Ants running off 3 linked boards, with power overhead for a fifth Ant if I get another.

thomas_s

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:12:02 PM

Yes, minersource bought quite a few. Most are being used, but they're reselling some of them also.

These boards are built to connect with one specific power supply, which outputs 750W. They cannot be used with any other supply unless the connector is mechanically and electrically identical. I know of none meeting this criteria, but it's possible something exists somewhere. When I'm not attempting to maintain a small business, manufacturing everything ever, and occasionally sleeping, I'm prototyping for DPS-800 (850-1000W) and DPS-2000 (2000+W) power supplies also.

If you need to run 3 Ants overclocked, you can link two boards load-balanced and provide 1500W. I currently have 4 overclocked Ants running off 3 linked boards, with power overhead for a fifth Ant if I get another.

O man that's what I forgot to do last night....sleep. Lol

The boards work great btw
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:16:54 PM

I almost forgot to sleep. Put about 1700 miles on my rig in the last two weeks (will have 200 more before lunchtime), and made a few hundred cables (which is actually someone else's job, someone slacking) and either manufactured or fixed (darn minions do a sloppy job sometimes) about 160 boards. Not a lot of time for much else. Had a bit of time to work on DPS-800 boards, which I have two things I need to test still but we might have a PCB design by the end of next week.

thomas_s

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:19:53 PM

I almost forgot to sleep. Put about 1700 miles on my rig in the last two weeks (will have 200 more before lunchtime), and made a few hundred cables (which is actually someone else's job, someone slacking) and either manufactured or fixed (darn minions do a sloppy job sometimes) about 160 boards. Not a lot of time for much else. Had a bit of time to work on DPS-800 boards, which I have two things I need to test still but we might have a PCB design by the end of next week.
Lol at least I wasn't alone

We'd be happy to run some stress tests for you =)
Jerkson

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:59:31 PM

I have a dumb question:

These come with 6-pin pci-e connectors, not 6+2...correct?
For those of us planning on using it with a GPU with an 8-pin pci-e power connector, what is the recommended way to accomplish this?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:13:46 PM

Yes, I don't have 8-pin connectors. Just 6-pin. As for getting 8-pin connections, your GPU might have come with an adapter? Or it should be possible to find some? Or just use the 6-pin and stuff some ground jumpers into the other two pins?

That last one isn't exactly recommended, but it's probably what I would do on my own hardware. But then I also don't have $500 GPUs...

zulover

Activity: 583

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:45:07 PM

thanks for the nice reply, looking forward to the 2000+w!
h@shKraker

Activity: 403
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:32:00 PM

Just bought 2 of these plus cables from SideHack (I already had the PSUs).  This is some good looking work.  Thanks for your efforts SideHack.

H@shKraker

Tips/Payments: 1HaZvsUjJpcAf76QWg7Muu4mnWRWCrRNMs
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:40:11 PM

Still got a couple dozen boards (or kits) available, and more stock coming soon.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: