Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:04:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: FOR SALE - D750 750W Server PSU Breakout Boards  (Read 47354 times)
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 07:01:55 AM
Last edit: October 15, 2014, 10:16:16 PM by sidehack

sales@gekkoscience.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you may have been following the development thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=379677.0

What I have designed is a board that interfaces to a Dell PE2950 server power supply, part Z750P or N750P. These supplies are rated for 750W output (12V, 62.4A) and, being industrial-grade, are designed to sustain rated outputs almost indefinitely.

The PSU boards themselves socket onto the server supply and break the 12V out to screw terminals for attaching cables. We also have 18" 16AWG PCIe 6-pin cables available for sale with the boards.

Some of the features/benefits of these boards and supplies:
 - Ability to load-balance multiple supplies in parallel for redundancy or higher outputs
 - Replacement supplies can be found for less than $20, compared to >$100 for comparable performance consumer supply
 - If a supply fails, replace it by unplug/replug without having to touch wiring
 - User-defined wiring means no octopus of unnecessary cables
 - External power-on signal, can be wired to a "master" PSU so multiple supplies turn on simultaneously and automatically
 ---- Can be wired to an ATX supply to function as additional 12V "rails" on GPU rigs
 - >90% efficiency across most of the load range
 - Integrated current measurement, you can keep track of actual load consumption*
 - Integrated 3.3VSB and 5VDC 2A supplies
 - Internal and external fan speed control for PSU's internal cooling fan

*current measure is not officially supported (inaccurate measurement) in V0.4 boards, currently the only ones available, but the issue was fixed on the V0.5 boards which will start shipping probably in about two weeks.

The actual product page is http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/D750_supply_breakout_board.html

One supply will easily support two Cubes on full overclock or two stock-speed AntMiner S1 units. Some testing was done with two overclocked AntMiner S1 operating but I don't recommend it. I do have four S1 at 400MHz running flawlessly off three supplies load-balanced; I should be able to add a fifth without overloading. I also have one running a GPU in my workstation, using the EON input tied to the ATX supply so it powers on with the rest of the computer.

The current offering is Reduced-Feature boards, which do not have Current Sense or 5VDC. These features were not often used, so removing them by default saves the customer money. They also have a smaller fan-speed pot and a push-on/push-off power button because we were having reports of toggle switches breaking off. We can, by request, populate boards to the previous standard (toggle, fan knob, current sense, 5VDC) for any order.

Pricing on Reduced-Feature Boards:
1-5 $28 apiece
6-10 $26 apiece
10-25 $24 apiece.

Pricing on 16AWG 6-pin PCIe Cables:
18" $3.50 apiece
36" $4.50 apiece

Full Kits include 1xZ750P PSU, 1xInterface Board, 4x 18" cables for $55

Shipping will be fulfilled by USPS Priority. Domestic shipping rate estimates:

Up to 5 boards + 20 cables, $10
Up to 20 boards + 80 cables, $20
Up to 3 full kits, $15

We accept both PayPal and BTC payments, where BTC will be based off the dollar value and a CoinBase exchange grabbed randomly sometime during the day.

For ordering information, email "sales@gekkoscience.com" and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. We are shipping from standing stock.
If you have questions about anything and want a more-or-less immediate answer, either read the development thread or use the email above.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 07:40:04 PM

looks great!

hope you can get some lower prices on the next batch though Wink

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:16:56 PM

+1 for a great guy, we have well over 200 of these without an issue Smiley
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:54:45 PM

hope you can get some lower prices on the next batch though

We could save on costs by outsourcing manufacture to China, but I'll be in my grave before I give away American jobs. As it is, the price is dictated by the cost of materials and labor. We're looking at ways to alter the board design on a future batch to reduce assembly time and save a bit of materials, but that won't kick in for a while. Quality materials and quality workmanship (at least that's what we're trying to do) are more important to me than most anything else.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:33:05 AM

We could save on costs by outsourcing manufacture to China, but I'll be in my grave before I give away American jobs. As it is, the price is dictated by the cost of materials and labor. We're looking at ways to alter the board design on a future batch to reduce assembly time and save a bit of materials, but that won't kick in for a while. Quality materials and quality workmanship (at least that's what we're trying to do) are more important to me than most anything else.

I like your attitude! +1

Personally though, I would rather put that money towards an warrantied ATX PSU or spend an hour and $10 of supplies to do some home soldering Wink

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
Suave

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:04:01 AM

So could I hook up as many 2.5mm 12V power cords as I want to these terminals as long as I stay under 750W total? I am looking at buying some of these if this is possible. Basically I would like to hook up about 50 Gridseed asics.

So 50 of these 2.5mm power cords. http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/PHILMORETC218.jpg

Let me know.

Thanks.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 06:57:55 AM

If you can fit 'em all under the screw terminals, sure.

warrantied ATX PSU or spend an hour and $10 of supplies to do some home soldering

Which if the ATX failed, you'd have to redo all your wiring when you replace it. Also if you can find a warranteed ATX that'll reliably put out 750W all day every day at 91% efficiency for this price tag, good find. At the utility rates I'm paying in central MO, the difference between 85% and 91% at 750W output means an extra $40 a year just in electric bills, per supply. And good luck getting two of them to run in parallel if you need a single load greater than 750W; unless they're stupidly tightly regulated you'll quite possibly smoke one and trip out the other.

For $10 in parts can you have easily changeable wiring options, fan speed control, an efficient 5VDC 2A auxilary source, a built-in current meter and the ability to turn the supply on from an external signal? I'm all for people doing stuff for themselves, but I'm also all for supplying well-made stuff to the people that would rather not, and all for making something simple, reliable and with a respectably useful feature set. You are probably not my target customer. In fact I am not my target customer either, as proven by that I'm building them myself instead of waiting for someone else to make and sell it.

BotwinBG

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:07:40 AM

---- Can be wired to an ATX supply to function as additional 12V "rails" on GPU rigs

How can that be done? My dog tore apart the "manual" you sent me Smiley So, any pictures or whatever would be nice.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:13:59 PM

Wire a female molex to the EON pin. Anything above 3V should kick it on.

nachius

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:53:41 PM

Sidehack can you confirm these are yours?

https://www.minersource.net/products/dell-750w-psu-slash-adapter

zulover

Activity: 583

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 01:55:06 PM

ANY CHANCE OF USING these with some of the 1000 watt and above server psu, as that wouldallow 3 ants to be connected overclocked.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:09:11 PM

Yes, minersource bought quite a few. Most are being used, but they're reselling some of them also.

These boards are built to connect with one specific power supply, which outputs 750W. They cannot be used with any other supply unless the connector is mechanically and electrically identical. I know of none meeting this criteria, but it's possible something exists somewhere. When I'm not attempting to maintain a small business, manufacturing everything ever, and occasionally sleeping, I'm prototyping for DPS-800 (850-1000W) and DPS-2000 (2000+W) power supplies also.

If you need to run 3 Ants overclocked, you can link two boards load-balanced and provide 1500W. I currently have 4 overclocked Ants running off 3 linked boards, with power overhead for a fifth Ant if I get another.

thomas_s

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:12:02 PM

Yes, minersource bought quite a few. Most are being used, but they're reselling some of them also.

These boards are built to connect with one specific power supply, which outputs 750W. They cannot be used with any other supply unless the connector is mechanically and electrically identical. I know of none meeting this criteria, but it's possible something exists somewhere. When I'm not attempting to maintain a small business, manufacturing everything ever, and occasionally sleeping, I'm prototyping for DPS-800 (850-1000W) and DPS-2000 (2000+W) power supplies also.

If you need to run 3 Ants overclocked, you can link two boards load-balanced and provide 1500W. I currently have 4 overclocked Ants running off 3 linked boards, with power overhead for a fifth Ant if I get another.

O man that's what I forgot to do last night....sleep. Lol

The boards work great btw
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:16:54 PM

I almost forgot to sleep. Put about 1700 miles on my rig in the last two weeks (will have 200 more before lunchtime), and made a few hundred cables (which is actually someone else's job, someone slacking) and either manufactured or fixed (darn minions do a sloppy job sometimes) about 160 boards. Not a lot of time for much else. Had a bit of time to work on DPS-800 boards, which I have two things I need to test still but we might have a PCB design by the end of next week.

thomas_s

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 02:19:53 PM

I almost forgot to sleep. Put about 1700 miles on my rig in the last two weeks (will have 200 more before lunchtime), and made a few hundred cables (which is actually someone else's job, someone slacking) and either manufactured or fixed (darn minions do a sloppy job sometimes) about 160 boards. Not a lot of time for much else. Had a bit of time to work on DPS-800 boards, which I have two things I need to test still but we might have a PCB design by the end of next week.
Lol at least I wasn't alone

We'd be happy to run some stress tests for you =)
Jerkson

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:59:31 PM

I have a dumb question:

These come with 6-pin pci-e connectors, not 6+2...correct?
For those of us planning on using it with a GPU with an 8-pin pci-e power connector, what is the recommended way to accomplish this?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:13:46 PM

Yes, I don't have 8-pin connectors. Just 6-pin. As for getting 8-pin connections, your GPU might have come with an adapter? Or it should be possible to find some? Or just use the 6-pin and stuff some ground jumpers into the other two pins?

That last one isn't exactly recommended, but it's probably what I would do on my own hardware. But then I also don't have $500 GPUs...

zulover

Activity: 583

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:45:07 PM

thanks for the nice reply, looking forward to the 2000+w!
h@shKraker

Activity: 403

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:32:00 PM

Just bought 2 of these plus cables from SideHack (I already had the PSUs).  This is some good looking work.  Thanks for your efforts SideHack.

H@shKraker

Tips/Payments: 1HaZvsUjJpcAf76QWg7Muu4mnWRWCrRNMs
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 01:40:11 PM

Still got a couple dozen boards (or kits) available, and more stock coming soon.

mystix

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 05:56:51 PM

I bought 2 on thur/fri. Cant wait for them to come in so I can finish my rigs! Currently running with a group of cobbled together ATXs, and this will be vastly superior.
mystix

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 12:52:47 AM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 02:08:58 AM by mystix

Mine came in today. Wow that was fast. Thank you! High quality stuff, well packed.

Wanted to tell Sidehack that one of the reasons for my ordering was the 'made in usa' commitment mentioned earlier in the other thread. Thank you for that.

Lastly... So ah.. any documentation? I went back through all the side-hack posts and so no explicit mention of any, and checked the website as well. I did see the line drawing for dimensions, but nothing electrical. Was hoping for a diagram of what pin is what at least. Im competant enough to make use of all the functionality described, but not completely comfortable just figuring it out from scratch if its not necessary.

Thanks!

Edit:

Ok I did now notice that partially obscured under the pin connector are tiny little letters indicating what the pins do. A diagram about the blue switch box, the potentiometer, and the pins would be nicer to have though.

What I can make out is this
GND COM GND xxx xxx xxx SHR? xxx EON POK
                                           FAN
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 02:59:20 AM

The board's official product page (http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/D750_supply_breakout_board.html) has a link to the V0.4 board manual.

Or, you know, http://www.gekkoscience.com/misc/V0.4_Board_Doc.pdf

Which every shipment was supposed to have a printout included in the box, but my packing guy has not been very impressive lately.

Also, the V0.5 boards which we'll probably start shipping next week sometime have much more visible pin labels, as well as a few other minor changes. We'll have an updated documentation available before its release.

mystix

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 03:45:08 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 03:57:39 PM by mystix

Wow I looked at that page so many times, and totally missed that link. Thank you for posting it. Exactly what i was looking for.

Edit: after noting that the link was added per the note below.

Even better!
I was kinda worried about my having missed that so often.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 03:47:07 PM

Well the link was just put there yesterday evening. The web guy is sneaky like that... I guess?

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 10:52:33 PM

Also if you email asking for stuff, go ahead and tell us where you are (country and whatnot) because we can't invoice you an amount without verifying the shipping.

As of now we have around two dozen boards left in stock, and once they're gone it'll be next week sometime before we have more.

I'm going to spend time this week hopefully finishing up and ironing out details for DPS-2000BB and DPS-800GBA boards. I've had a lot of interest in DPS-2000BB boards lately so that's high priority. DPS-800GBA boards I could basically finish now, if we didn't want to implement load-balancing, but that's a totally handy feature.

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 12:55:41 PM

You stated that these can provide 5v and 3.3v, so does that mean they can be used to power a motherboard without needing a separate ATX PSU? If I know how to solder in the 24-pin cable, is this possible with this PSU? Where can I solder in the 5v and 3.3v lines?

Lastly, you said these can be combined for redundancy. Is there a way to use only 1 breakout board for two of these 750w PSU for a combined 1500w? For example, connect this breakout board to one of the PSU, then solder wires from the panel of the 2nd PSU onto the breakout board. Possible?

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 01:08:07 PM

Anything is possible, sure, but none of what you just said is recommended. The boards' 3.3V and 5V lines are auxilary, rated for 2A, so if you can guarantee your ATX supply will pull less than 2A you might not smoke something. The aux power lines are there to power external controllers for handling multiple supplies, or things like Raspberry PI that are packaged with some miners.

The board is built to work with one power supply. There are probably ways to use only 1 breakout board for two supplies, but that defeats the purpose of the breakout board, probably won't be terribly safe or terribly reliable, and soldering stuff to the board will probably void any implied or actual warranties.

h@shKraker

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 12:38:16 AM

All,

Received my boards and wiring today.  The build quality is top grade.  I plan to plug up these babies tonight an make some heat.

H@shKraker

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 12:48:42 AM

Good to hear, sir. Thanks, until my minions are fully trained on acceptable standards I've been going over every board for mechanical, functional and cosmetic to make sure everything was top-notch, so I like hearing what you just said.

Also I currently have 5 AntMiner S1 on 400MHz overclock, load-balanced across 3 of these boards with zero issues. Been running about five hours so far. So that's good.

h@shKraker

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:44:50 AM

DO NOT lick the heat sinks!  Shocked

H@shKraker

bobsag3

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:50:57 AM

Good to hear, sir. Thanks, until my minions are fully trained on acceptable standards I've been going over every board for mechanical, functional and cosmetic to make sure everything was top-notch, so I like hearing what you just said.

Also I currently have 5 AntMiner S1 on 400MHz overclock, load-balanced across 3 of these boards with zero issues. Been running about five hours so far. So that's good.

We ran 2 sets of 2 OCed to 400 for 2 weeks on 1 PSU/board without a single issue. Pulling 880w at the wall  @120v
wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:58:13 AM

Thanks. You just answered my next question, are these 220 or 110. If I order 3 bundles can you ship to Canada, I want to try chaining 3 to power 5 ants?

How hot do the psu's get? Should I strap fans to them?
wpgdeez

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 02:09:38 AM

I like your attitude! +1

Personally though, I would rather put that money towards an warrantied ATX PSU or spend an hour and $10 of supplies to do some home soldering Wink
I think the price is great for an industrial spec psu and far better than some POS bronze ATX PSU. These are more efficient, extremely cheap to replace and have a much better foot print. Warranty is great until you have to file an RMA claim and be without gear for 4-6 weeks, pack that shit up with every bit and piece it came with and ship it at your expense. After all this hassle is the RMA even worth it! I would rather save the bones, get a better product and hot swap if ever required.

You pay for the cost of that warranty upfront in that ATX PSU. In most cases you wont even use it, I would rather gamble and bite the bullet if I have to. Warranties make the manufacturer money, not you. If the benefit was in favor of the consumer they wouldn't offer it!
h@shKraker

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 02:22:36 AM

True dat brothah' man!

-H

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 03:12:20 AM

We ran 2 sets of 2 OCed to 400 for 2 weeks on 1 PSU/board without a single issue. Pulling 880w at the wall  @120v

Sweet! I estimated a pair of 400MHz Ants would be basically 99% capacity for the supply, so 2 weeks uptime at that load is pretty dern sexy. The only one of these supplies that's laid over on me ran a pair of custom-overclocked Cubes for a week basically with the fan disabled.

Thanks. You just answered my next question, are these 220 or 110. If I order 3 bundles can you ship to Canada, I want to try chaining 3 to power 5 ants?

How hot do the psu's get? Should I strap fans to them?

These will run 100-240VAC
Email sales@gekkoscience for pricing/shipping estimates. 3 in parallel to power 5 Ants works, I'm doing it right now.
The PSUs don't get terribly hot; if they're too warm just turn the fan up. They have internal fans and the board has a speed adjust knob.

wpgdeez

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:20:17 AM

How do you load balance them ? Email sent! Once I get my KNC refund I will be sure to get some more. Really want the 2000 watt beast.
wpgdeez

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:07:08 AM

The board's official product page (http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/D750_supply_breakoutf2f it _board.html) has a link to the V0.4 board manual.

Or, you know, http://www.gekkoscience.com/misc/V0.4_Board_Doc.pdf

Which every shipment was supposed to have a printout included in the box, but my packing guy has not been very impressive lately.

Also, the V0.5 boards which we'll probably start shipping next week sometime have much more visible pin labels, as well as a few other minor changes. We'll have an updated documentation available before its release.
Just checked out the link and am still a little unclear on the wiring. When connecting 12v and gnd do you need to bridge all 8 connections between the 2 psu's? Then do you fit the pci-e cables into the same terminal blocks.

If someone could post an actual picture it would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to figure out how to link 3.
demonmaestro

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 08:38:45 AM

Very cool thing you got working there. The Dell PSUs are cheap. however the PSUs can be noisy  Undecided

Will probably be getting my hands on some of thees

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2014, 09:53:13 AM

sidehack, I PM and emailed you to buy, but no response yet  Sad

Just checked out the link and am still a little unclear on the wiring. When connecting 12v and gnd do you need to bridge all 8 connections between the 2 psu's? Then do you fit the pci-e cables into the same terminal blocks.

If someone could post an actual picture it would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to figure out how to link 3.

I think this should be how you connect two together for load balancing or simultaneous start up (I'm sure sidehack correct me if I'm wrong):

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 01:26:45 PM

You didn't get a PM response because you PM'd at 1AM my time zone. Did you email sales@gekkoscience as specified in the initial post instructions?

As for connecting to load-balance, yes. I wouldn't use the spraypaint to connect terminals though, but that's just me being sarcastic. Your orange line is tying the SHR pins together, which the supplies use to cross-regulate and ensure an equal distribution of current. To turn them on simultaneously, you need to use the EON signals also.
On mine I have one master supply, whose POK is wired to the other supplies' EON lines. When the master supply turns on or off, the POK line goes high or low respectively, which kicks on the other supplies at the same time.

You shouldn't really need to connect all the terminals together on every board, as they're all electrically connected already. Unless your load is very very unevenly distributed across the boards. I have 10 S1 blades pulling from 3 PSU boards, so 4 on one and 3 on the other two. Pretty evenly distributed, but the two 3-blade boards push a little current to the 4-blade board. I have 3 16AWG 9" leads (in a single spade, like the standard cables) running between the first screw on adjacent boards to link them exactly as you have pictured.

As for these being noisy, I've slept beside case fans for so long that it's hard for me to sleep in a quiet room anymore. A few months ago a supply gave out on me and powered down two Cubes; I woke up almost instantly (the fans were still spinning under inertia) because the lack of fan noise tripped alarms in my subconscious. When the fans are turned low, they're not loud by my standards but my standards are probably skewed.

wpgdeez

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 04:01:33 PM

Thanks for the quote. I emailed you guys back, would like to grab 3 ASAP hope you can get them shipped up North quick!
h@shKraker

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 05:57:52 PM

Sidehack,

When you said ->

10 S1 blades pulling from 3 PSU boards

Did you mean you have 5 antminers (thus making 10 total blades) *OR* did you mean you have 10 full antminers running?

H@shKraker

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 06:37:47 PM

10 Blades, 5 two-blade (standard) AntMiner S1 units.

JLebowskiTheDude

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 10:14:22 PM

Just wanted to echo the same thing I said in the other thread here in case some people don't follow both.

Don't hesitate to pick up these boards, cables, or full kits which are really competitively priced from sidehack, GekkoScience, or any of his minions!  Cheesy

It's quality stuff from quality folks.

I've had two boards and eBayed Z750P's powering 4 Cubes 24/7 for over a month with no issues whatsoever.

To those who were asking about the noise of the Z750P fan, I'm like sidehack there.  I don't even notice the regular white noise of the fan at normal speeds.  At high speed, you can definitely hear the whine from quite a bit away.  The fan control knob on the board works quite well for the two boards we have but I'm glad to hear sidehack and his team are working out any possible kinks there for future users.

shaxs

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 02:04:27 AM

So this is probably a dumb question, but is it safe for these exposed boards to sit on a rubber coated wire rack? Would there be an issue if they somehow can in contact with the metal wire rack?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:44:16 AM

Yes, if the bottom side hits metal it could risk shorting. I'd recommend putting a rubber mat, tupperware lid, or junkmail underneath the board just in case.

bobsag3

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:47:35 PM

Yes, if the bottom side hits metal it could risk shorting. I'd recommend putting a rubber mat, tupperware lid, or junkmail underneath the board just in case.

Perhaps being given a coat of Plasti-dip might help?
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 05:00:36 PM

Unless you ever need to maintain it.

A semi-permanent solution I'd recommend is cut a piece of plastic or something and mount it using the screw holes on the board. Won't come off on its own but easy to remove if you need to.

h@shKraker

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 07:36:55 PM

How about you just cover yourself in latex to protect against electrical short??  Shocked

H@shKraker

claudesdad

Activity: 58

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 01:24:24 AM

Just wanted to echo the same thing I said in the other thread here in case some people don't follow both.

Don't hesitate to pick up these boards, cables, or full kits which are really competitively priced from sidehack, GekkoScience, or any of his minions!  Cheesy

It's quality stuff from quality folks.

I've had two boards and eBayed Z750P's powering 4 Cubes 24/7 for over a month with no issues whatsoever.

To those who were asking about the noise of the Z750P fan, I'm like sidehack there.  I don't even notice the regular white noise of the fan at normal speeds.  At high speed, you can definitely hear the whine from quite a bit away.  The fan control knob on the board works quite well for the two boards we have but I'm glad to hear sidehack and his team are working out any possible kinks there for future users.

Received some boards from Gekko on Friday and just had a chance to get them up and running tonite.  On the two boards and two supplies I've tried so far - the fan speed knob on the interface board is not seeming to have any effect.  I can turn it all the way from one side to the other - and the fan still stays at the same speed - which seems like a high speed actually. I'm wondering if I'm missing something - I was just trying the supplies hooked up to my cube before I swapped my S1's over.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 01:32:26 AM

Anyone ever that has a problem with the fan speed, read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=379677.msg5721102#msg5721102

h@shKraker

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:00:40 PM

Ok everyone, here's my evaluation of this product  powering 2 antminers OC'd to 375Mhz hashing stably between 193 and 202 Ghash.  First thing first, the workmanship is GREAT on this product.  All you have to do is open the static bag that comes covering the board and plug it into the PSU connector  Then connect the yellow wires to the +12vdc rail and the black ones to the ground rail.  Next, plug in the PCI-E connectors to the device you want to to power.  Finally plug the AC plug for the PSU into the wall/PSU and flip the large paddle switch to turn everything on.  Viola, all your connected stuff comes on.  On that fan speed thing, keep in mind that fan speed control POT is REALLY sensitive.  The best way I can describe how to learn of this is to turn the knob all the way down and then slowly start moving it the opposite direction.  You'll get to a point where the fan noise and speed jumps up noticeably.  It's at that point you've crossed the "really sensitive" threshold.  Back off a bit from there and the fan speed and noise will again decrease.  On another note, these Dell PSUs *are* industrial grade server PSUs.  They're not really known for begin stealthy so if the noise bothers you try not to sleep with the PSU next to your head.  For some reason I can't attach a photo of my 2 AntMiners begin powered by one Dell PSU BUT if someone can point me to the directions for doing that I'll upload a photo.  Hope this helps.

H@shKraker

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:00:41 AM

I just tested a modification on the next batch of boards that should give touchy but reliable fan control to a wider variety of supplies. Just tested it on N750P-S0, N750P-S1, Z750P-00 Rev A00, A01 and A02. They're boards we should start shipping probably Wednesday.

h@shKraker

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:42:10 AM

Sidehack,

It is at this juncture I must deliver to you the "one armed paper hanger" high 5 ..... sure ... it looks like waving but REALLY it's clapping  Shocked

H@shKraker

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:48:38 AM

Oh yeah and they'll have a better mating connector to plug into the PSU. That's one of the things I wasn't really satisfied with on the V0.4, but we got some better parts and a better board to fit them. And the terminal blocks and header pins are labeled better on this version so it'll be easier to know what you're doing. The toggle switch mounts better so it'll be more solid on the board, and hopefully all the underside work will be cleaner. All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the V0.5 boards we got now.

Oh yeah and the current meter should be accurate now. It's calculated to 1.8V on the CUR pin corresponds to a 60A load, with a 5% tolerance on the measurement.

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:51:46 PM

I just tested a modification on the next batch of boards that should give touchy but reliable fan control to a wider variety of supplies. Just tested it on N750P-S0, N750P-S1, Z750P-00 Rev A00, A01 and A02. They're boards we should start shipping probably Wednesday.

You and your team's agility in revision cycles and turn-around is great.

Even with the lazy-good-for-little workers you rant about occasionally!  Grin

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:58:21 PM

We had the revisions made for the V0.5 board the night we received the V0.4 batch. Put it together, ran it through the ringer and made a list of fixes. I just made the first V0.5 fully-functional board last night and we have a list of stuff to change for the V0.6 as well. Gotta keep making things better.

As for the workers, well they're gonna get a full retraining this week on surface-mount soldering and general quality standards. One of the guys is already putting out pretty good work. He's my least-experienced minion, with the least free time, and is putting up more productivity and the highest quality of work.

vnhyp0

Activity: 106

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 04:53:21 PM

They are a bit noisy but get the job done well and are one of the cheapest ways to power s1 farms per PSU.

Thanks for the great product!

QQ: 2228207157
JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:38:35 PM

As for the workers, well they're gonna get a full retraining this week on surface-mount soldering and general quality standards. One of the guys is already putting out pretty good work. He's my least-experienced minion, with the least free time, and is putting up more productivity and the highest quality of work.

Glad to hear at least one of the minions has been properly whipped into shape!

Keep up the excellent work.  Truly. 

I make it a point to forward nearly anyone I know involved with mining toward this thread and the other threads highlighting the use of these more inexpensive, yet highly efficient units.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:44:44 PM

I'm really looking forward to getting some DPS-2000BB boards done and ready for testing. We should also have some DPS-800GBA boards in the works, which'll be handy for folks that are retiring Blade backplanes in exchange for other hardware. The DPS-2000BB boards will have integrated fan controllers (4-wire) with adjustable speed and two headers.

And within a few days we should have some test three-way-controller boards for hooking supplies in parallel and controlling them all as one. That'll take a lot of headache out of people trying to figure it out for themselves. The 10-pin headers on all our boards will be pin- and signal-compatible so the control board should work with all of the different supplies.

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:51:46 PM

I'm really looking forward to getting some DPS-2000BB boards done and ready for testing. We should also have some DPS-800GBA boards in the works, which'll be handy for folks that are retiring Blade backplanes in exchange for other hardware. The DPS-2000BB boards will have integrated fan controllers (4-wire) with adjustable speed and two headers.

And within a few days we should have some test three-way-controller boards for hooking supplies in parallel and controlling them all as one. That'll take a lot of headache out of people trying to figure it out for themselves. The 10-pin headers on all our boards will be pin- and signal-compatible so the control board should work with all of the different supplies.

You're really, really tempting me to wire up a 220v outlet where our mining equipment is and switch over to these higher capacity beasts.

I have a buddy who "was" an electrician for some time and would probably be easy coerced with beer to help me electrocute myself.

Give me a reason not to pursue this please!

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:05:04 AM

The Z750 supplies also really like running off 220. Go ahead. Go for it. I'm gonna, as soon as I have free time.

JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:14:45 AM

The Z750 supplies also really like running off 220. Go ahead. Go for it. I'm gonna, as soon as I have free time.

Wrong answer damn it.  Cheesy

Oh well.  We all gotta die somehow. 

bobsag3

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:31:30 AM

You're really, really tempting me to wire up a 220v outlet where our mining equipment is and switch over to these higher capacity beasts.

I have a buddy who "was" an electrician for some time and would probably be easy coerced with beer to help me electrocute myself.

You will not regret this. At all.
/someonewithwaytoomuch220vandpsusandantsSAVEME
JLebowskiTheDude

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:14:43 AM

You will not regret this. At all.
/someonewithwaytoomuch220vandpsusandantsSAVEME

Dante said it best.  "Abandon all hope..."

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:27:20 AM

I really want to make a "your mom" joke out of that response, but this isn't really the place.

klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:10:23 AM

220V is worth it. most of your equipment will be about 2-5% more efficient and allows more watts per amp, which equates to significant savings over a few months of operation

claudesdad

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:50:41 PM

This is exactly what I did last weekend.  Luckily - my racks are only about 10 feet from my breaker box.  I wired in a 30 amp 240V outlet with a twist lock - and then attached the APC metered PDU I had scored on Ebay the week before - and now all the S1's are running on 240V.   Speaking of which - I noticed a comment about there being a Rev 06 board for the Dell 2950 750W PSU's - is that out yet?   I'd like to order some more boards so I can get the rest of my miners up and going on the Dell supplies and retire the Corsairs.

Plus I've got one board that seems to have fried the fan speed adjuster for some reason.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 04:28:27 AM

Has the board's fan speed indeed failed, or is it just accidentally set to external control? I believe the question has been asked before but not yet answered.

Also, no the V0.6 board doesn't exist yet. We just started shipping V0.5 boards, and are making the list of things to change on the next batch. V0.6 boards won't be avaibale for probably at least a month. The V0.5 boards have better connectors, more accurate current measurement, better labeling and a more solidly mounted toggle switch. Any other changes were made to help expedite manufacture.

claudesdad

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 09:21:24 PM

Has the board's fan speed indeed failed, or is it just accidentally set to external control? I believe the question has been asked before but not yet answered.

Also, no the V0.6 board doesn't exist yet. We just started shipping V0.5 boards, and are making the list of things to change on the next batch. V0.6 boards won't be avaibale for probably at least a month. The V0.5 boards have better connectors, more accurate current measurement, better labeling and a more solidly mounted toggle switch. Any other changes were made to help expedite manufacture.

I just went back and revisited this.  I could have sworn I carefully checked the positions of the switches when I was testing - but maybe I didn't have them fully moved into position.....

In any case - on the power supply I just checked with, which is a version A00 - the fan speed control is working as expected on that board that had thought that it wasn't.

You'll be getting an email from me shortly at Gekkoscience - I want to order more boards.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:02:45 AM

Good to hear it's working properly. I don't like building things that ever fail.

Any orders placed now will get V0.5 boards, whose fans work on a wider variety of supplies. Still busting up stock though. One of my minions I think is quitting on me, the other two are halfway through training and the other full-time guy has been working on PCB design and adminstrative all week so we don't have as many boards on hand as I would like. I just spent about 11 hours manufacturing and will be at it again tomorrow afternoon to get some (large) current orders met Monday and then stock'll be back up on Tuesday.

claudesdad

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:01:12 AM

Good to hear it's working properly. I don't like building things that ever fail.

Any orders placed now will get V0.5 boards, whose fans work on a wider variety of supplies. Still busting up stock though. One of my minions I think is quitting on me, the other two are halfway through training and the other full-time guy has been working on PCB design and adminstrative all week so we don't have as many boards on hand as I would like. I just spent about 11 hours manufacturing and will be at it again tomorrow afternoon to get some (large) current orders met Monday and then stock'll be back up on Tuesday.

I sent you another order a little while ago - keep working those minions!

Somebody is selling a package on Ebay using your boards.  Just saw it this afternoon.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:00:40 AM

As far as I know, two people are. One is us (eBay seller midwestrefurb), and the other is TracerX who bought a few in the first batch and has been trying to unload them at substantial markup for a little over a month. Course now I'm not seeing tracerx' listing so who knows.

claudesdad

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:12:01 PM

As far as I know, two people are. One is us (eBay seller midwestrefurb), and the other is TracerX who bought a few in the first batch and has been trying to unload them at substantial markup for a little over a month. Course now I'm not seeing tracerx' listing so who knows.

Yeah - this was somebody else.  And now I can't find the auction.  I checked under the two  usernames you mentioned and it was not either one of them.  They were offering a "kit" with the PSU, one of your boards, a power cord - and the PCI-E cables (which looked like they made them themselves because they were black and red not black and yellow).

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:35:04 PM

You mean http://www.ebay.com/itm/301102598928 ? Yeah that's the guy that bought boards and cables in the first batch, added the supply and started reselling them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131138536113 is my listing.

claudesdad

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:44:08 PM

You mean http://www.ebay.com/itm/301102598928 ? Yeah that's the guy that bought boards and cables in the first batch, added the supply and started reselling them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131138536113 is my listing.

Yes - that's the one I remembered seeing.  He's actually sold a couple - but that's way overpriced IMHO.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:30:32 PM

It's come down from $125 plus shipping.

claudesdad

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:54:16 PM

It's come down from $125 plus shipping.
Shocked

Wow.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:01:50 PM

Still got boards and cables available. We're now shipping the V0.5 boards, which have a better supply-side socket (better more reliable fit) and improved current metering. We're working on PCB design for DPS-2000BB boards and should be prototyping soon. We're also working out a package kit for tying three Z750 supplies together with a single control board with better status LEDs and unified control, that'll allow you to load-balance them together into a single ~2200W unit.

claudesdad

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:37:20 PM

Still got boards and cables available. We're now shipping the V0.5 boards, which have a better supply-side socket (better more reliable fit) and improved current metering. We're working on PCB design for DPS-2000BB boards and should be prototyping soon. We're also working out a package kit for tying three Z750 supplies together with a single control board with better status LEDs and unified control, that'll allow you to load-balance them together into a single ~2200W unit.

Now that would be slick - controlling three PSU's together.  I'd have to sell off all the boards I've already bought though to convert over to that.

Bawb3

Activity: 44

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:40:35 PM

I just fired up one of these boards (v0.4 I think?) the other night.

Using one power supply to power 2x R9 290 graphics cards, it works beautifully!
The cards fired right up, and have been running rock solid stable for for 2 days now, I love the idea of using server power supplies that are designed to run constantly.

They also answered all of my questions very thoroughly, and quickly, and I have to say it's been a pleasant experience.

I got the power supplies off ebay for 20$ a piece, and the boards were 40$, so 60$ for a reliable 750w power supply, you can't beat it.
The only additional expense was purchasing PCIe extension cables and some 16awg wire, which I hacked into the necessary connectors for the cards.

The one I'm testing runs 2x 290's with ease, they *might* handle 3 cards, but I don't think I'll risk overloading the PSU.
According to GPU-z each card draws 250-275 watts @ 20-25 amps depending on level of overclock, and how hard the fans are running. However I have no way of telling how accurate that is.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:52:00 PM

Now that would be slick - controlling three PSU's together.  I'd have to sell off all the boards I've already bought though to convert over to that.

False. The three-way board would use the IO headers on existing boards. And all future boards are being designed pin- and signal-compatible, so you could use three DPS-2000BB boards or three DPS-800 boards when those are available, or any past or future revision D750 board.

Also, Bawb3 - it's too bad you don't have V0.5 boards, because the V0.4 boards' internal current meter isn't accurate (reads high) or you could get a good measure on how much power the cards are actually eating. For the V0.5 board, 1.8V on the CUR pin should correspond to 60A. I'd say if your V0.4 board's CUR pin reads 1.2V or less, you're at less than 2/3 capacity and it should be safe to add a third card. Should be, no guarantees.

I've got one of these boards powering a 7870 Eyefinity 6 on my workbench right now, been running for probably approaching a month with no issues at all. Are you using the EON pin to turn the supply on, or manual toggle switch?

AbiTxGroup

Activity: 447

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:40:07 AM

Sidehack, Could you check your email.  I am looking for tracking info for my order this past Friday.
claudesdad

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:00:15 AM

False. The three-way board would use the IO headers on existing boards. And all future boards are being designed pin- and signal-compatible, so you could use three DPS-2000BB boards or three DPS-800 boards when those are available, or any past or future revision D750 board.

Also, Bawb3 - it's too bad you don't have V0.5 boards, because the V0.4 boards' internal current meter isn't accurate (reads high) or you could get a good measure on how much power the cards are actually eating. For the V0.5 board, 1.8V on the CUR pin should correspond to 60A. I'd say if your V0.4 board's CUR pin reads 1.2V or less, you're at less than 2/3 capacity and it should be safe to add a third card. Should be, no guarantees.

I've got one of these boards powering a 7870 Eyefinity 6 on my workbench right now, been running for probably approaching a month with no issues at all. Are you using the EON pin to turn the supply on, or manual toggle switch?

Ahhh - excellent.  Even cooler.

One of my concerns going forward though - is if I'll even be using this setup (Dell supplies and Geckoscience boards) - going forward.

Most of the TH level mining units that are coming out seem to be coming with their own supplies. So when (if) - I move up to something else the separate PSU's will get retired along with the S1's.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:36:31 PM

I wonder if the internal supplies are 90% efficient? Hopefully the guys making them, especially since they're gonna be charging serious bank, put the best supplies in that they could find.

philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 7856

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 01:45:28 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2014, 02:02:12 PM by philipma1957

I wonder if the internal supplies are 90% efficient? Hopefully the guys making them, especially since they're gonna be charging serious bank, put the best supplies in that they could find.

The s-2's  will use enermax gold 1000 watt supply. It is a good psu, but it will pull 840-880 watts non stop 24/7/365  frankly that makes me nervous to do that on a 1000 watt psu.

I may be able to find a review. I think it will not do 90%  more like 86- 87%  due to the high watts used to watts capacity.

We Have to wait until they are shipped and reviewed to be sure that it is the enermax 1000 watt gold.

http://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Revolution87-Certified-Supply-ERV1000EWT-G/dp/B0076NR822

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=270   this review thinks it will do about 87 percent

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:58:11 PM

880W at the wall for an 86% PSU is an output power of about 760W. The same from a 90% is a wall consumption of 840W. That difference, not even considering the potential failure/replacement expense, is pushing $33 a year in extra electric at my rates, which are some of the cheapest in the country.

Unless that was 880W output, which at 86% is 1020W at the wall. 880W output at 90% is about 980W, close enough to the same difference for these calculations, but 880W continuous from a 1000W consumer-grade supply definitely greatly increases your odds of failure.

I wonder how hard it'd be to jack a DPS-800 into it instead? Running off 220V that'd handle the load pretty easily.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 02:05:20 PM

880W at the wall for an 86% PSU is an output power of about 760W. The same from a 90% is a wall consumption of 840W. That difference, not even considering the potential failure/replacement expense, is pushing $33 a year in extra electric at my rates, which are some of the cheapest in the country.

Unless that was 880W output, which at 86% is 1020W at the wall. 880W output at 90% is about 980W, close enough to the same difference for these calculations, but 880W continuous from a 1000W consumer-grade supply definitely greatly increases your odds of failure.

I wonder how hard it'd be to jack a DPS-800 into it instead? Running off 220V that'd handle the load pretty easily.

found a review.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=270    

I think this is okay to run 2 s-1's  at 720 watts 24/7/365  

but 2  modded dells are under 160-170  and this is over 200.  and the  2 dells will do 3 s-1's over clocked to 200gh at freq 393 or 400

my guess is  people will have problems with this enermax if it is what is supplied with the s-2

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 02:25:25 PM

Wow, that review page really likes animated banner ads.

AbiTxGroup

Activity: 447

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 02:57:40 PM

Sidehack, Could you check your email.  I am looking for tracking info for my order this past Friday.
LOL.  Seen you were on the forums and sent you another email.  Now, just as I was getting ready to leave the building to go to a customers site, the postman caught up to me with my order.  I see a little bitmain happening here.....receiving the package before the tracking info is sent.   Grin

Any way, since I posted the above post here, I thought that I should show that I did receive another order from you.

Thanks.

I will add a little positive trade for you.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:03:38 PM

Nifty. I'm actually not fielding customer emails on this round, but the guy in charge of handling shipping stuff sorta pulled an all-nighter on other tasks (he was still here at 8AM) so he might not have gotten to your emails. Tracking numbers are getting entered in the order database, but we haven't automated tracking customer emails yet. That's probably going to be implemented soon.

daddyfatsax

Activity: 857
Merit: 1000

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:49:39 PM

Nifty. I'm actually not fielding customer emails on this round, but the guy in charge of handling shipping stuff sorta pulled an all-nighter on other tasks (he was still here at 8AM) so he might not have gotten to your emails. Tracking numbers are getting entered in the order database, but we haven't automated tracking customer emails yet. That's probably going to be implemented soon.

I ordered last Thursday, I think, and my full kit arrived Monday. No complaints here, just a nice surprise when I got off work.
h@shKraker

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:17:05 PM

Sidehack,

Speaking of DPS-800 PSUs how are your controller boards for those PSUs coming along?  I happen to currently have good access to DPS-800 units and I'd like to put them to work.  Hope all is well.

H@shKraker

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 08:59:18 PM

I could start making them pretty soon if I didn't care about load-balancing. If I've done all my checking correctly, it's going to require an external circuit to implement load sharing and I haven't had time to prototype the design that I have figured out for that particular problem. Hopefully I can do that soon.

h@shKraker

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 09:21:54 PM

Sidehack,

Coolio sir.  Soooo you're saying I *SHOULD* go ahead and stock up on those PSUs because you for sure will have models for DPS-800 supplies .... right??

H@shKraker

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:15:55 PM

I'm thinking I might just not worry about loadbalancing. Not sure a lot of people are really using it anyway... I'll see what I can do about getting some DPS-800 boards out in the next few weeks to a month.

qosmio

Activity: 147

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:37:01 PM

i got 4 of them for 20 usd each shipping included very nice but loud like a vacuum cleaner Smiley

testing Smiley
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:39:32 PM

The Z750 supplies? My board has fan speed so you can quiet them down substantially.

claudesdad

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 11:00:47 PM

I'm thinking I might just not worry about loadbalancing. Not sure a lot of people are really using it anyway... I'll see what I can do about getting some DPS-800 boards out in the next few weeks to a month.

Keep in mind - this is just my opinion, (and I'm probably biased because I have a bunch of the Dell 2950 supplies):

If I search on Ebay for DPS-800 power supply I come up with about 113 hits.  If I search on Ebay for Dell 2950 power supply - I get about 300 hits.

So the amount of Dell 2950 supplies out there available seems to roughly be double the amount of the DPS-800 supplies.

Now I've already bought a bunch of your existing boards for the Dell supplies - and my original plan was to use the supplies in "clusters" - so that I'd have multiple supplies powering multiple S1 Antminers.  I was going to do like 4 or 5 supplies - to power 3 Antminers.  I figured that would allow me redundancy - AND still be able to keep the fans turning very low on the PSU's to keep the noise down.

So from my perspective at least - a more "full featured" product - where the load balancing is built in - and where the fan speed control works properly across all the different rev numbers of the Dell 2950 supplies - is more important than coming out with a board to support another different power supply.

So the predicament you're in now is the classic one that pretty much everybody who builds a product comes into:  make the existing product better and add features - or - make another product to serve a different market.

Everybody only has so much time and energy - you've just got to decide where to spend  yours.

The other thing to bear in mind is:  what's your market?  Right now  you're selling these to people who are powering Bitcoin miners.  The days of the independently powered Bitcoin miner seem to be numbered , seeing as how a lot of the high hash rate units that are coming out are now coming with their own supplies.  Combine that with the recent IRS ruling - and the dump in the Bitcoin price today, and I'd even start to wonder about Bitcoin mining itself.

There's probably other markets for these boards: test labs, battery chargers? - I don't know.  So you might want to think about what would sell better,  a more fully featured Dell 2950 board - or a board for a different supply.

Just my .0002 BTC.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 11:48:27 PM

a more "full featured" product - where the load balancing is built in - and where the fan speed control works properly across all the different rev numbers of the Dell 2950 supplies - is more important than coming out with a board to support another different power supply.

I have a fully-featured 2950 supply board. It's not going to get any more features. The only changes we're going to make to future board layouts are to make manufacture easier.

The DPS-800 board is actually an easier board to design. It's got internal fan speed, 3.3V and 5V internally regulated - the only thing that supply doesn't do is load-balance. So I could design external load-balancing for the folks that want to cluster them, or just put out a direct breakout board with no current-share circuit.

As for the target market being bitcoin miners, that's because it's the only community I have a place in. So far we've spent exactly zero money on advertising. Once we have a better webstore infrastructure we can put resources into telling people on RC sites, and ham radio sites, and GPU-computing sites, and who knows what else. And even with high-end miners shipping with their own power supplies, there's still going to be people that want *better* power supplies for when the internal ones asplode.

philipma1957
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 11:55:02 PM

a more "full featured" product - where the load balancing is built in - and where the fan speed control works properly across all the different rev numbers of the Dell 2950 supplies - is more important than coming out with a board to support another different power supply.

I have a fully-featured 2950 supply board. It's not going to get any more features. The only changes we're going to make to future board layouts are to make manufacture easier.

The DPS-800 board is actually an easier board to design. It's got internal fan speed, 3.3V and 5V internally regulated - the only thing that supply doesn't do is load-balance. So I could design external load-balancing for the folks that want to cluster them, or just put out a direct breakout board with no current-share circuit.

As for the target market being bitcoin miners, that's because it's the only community I have a place in. So far we've spent exactly zero money on advertising. Once we have a better webstore infrastructure we can put resources into telling people on RC sites, and ham radio sites, and GPU-computing sites, and who knows what else. And even with high-end miners shipping with their own power supplies, there's still going to be people that want *better* power supplies for when the internal ones asplode.

these would be good for home theater as amp power supplies..  check out this

http://www.parts-express.com/astec-12v-24a-288w-regulated-and-filtered-power-supply-with-case-and-accessories--129-004

which contains this :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0&_nkw=Astec+AA21660&_sacat=0&_from=R40

your item would be better then the above.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
.. PLAY NOW ..
h@shKraker

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 02:30:58 PM

One thing I've been meaning to mention, the HP DPS-800GB A (and derivative DPS-800 units) is nearly the exact same PSU as the HP ATSN 7001044 - Y000 (and derivitive ASTN 700xxx units).  By this I mean the parts are edge connector compatible and pin compatible.  The one difference between the two is the ATSN PSU will drive 900W at 110-120VAC and 1000W at 200-240VAC whereas the DPS unit will drive 850w and 1000w respectively.  On the ebay search thing, if one searches for BOTH of these HP part numbers the total number of hits just now is around 146.

H@shKraker

h@shKraker

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 07:11:52 PM

SideHack,

It turns out I also have good access to 750W HSTNS-PL18 - HP 750W Power Supply for ProLiant DL180 G2 Servers.  I've compared the card edge to the DPS-800 PSU and the card edges are ALMOST card edge compatible (i.e. the gold pads are a bit wider for some and narrower for others).  Unfortunately I don't know if they are pin assignment compatible though.  If you want I can ship you one of these 750 watt PSUs so you can play around with it.

H@shKraker

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 07:06:29 PM

I'm working on a prewired one-panel setup for the D750 boards. Plug in three supplies, get 2200W of load-balanced power with a single switch and single fan speed control. All relevant signal lines are tied to implement single-switch and single-knob operation as well as current sharing, and the busses are tied with dual 12AWG lines to ensure a low-resistance high current path between supplies for unevenly distributed loads. Header pins are still available for 3.3VSB and 5V aux lines, as well as current sense and a master EON so you can turn all three supplies on and off simultaneously from a remote signal. Anyone interested, let me know. Don't really have a price yet, but it should be comparable to buying three boards together. Or three full kits, if you get the 3-way panel and three PSUs.

It'll be 6 to 8 weeks before we have a DPS-2000BB board ready to roll. This unit will give you the same power with the same controls and the same number of interface points, just for (unfortunately) more money and three power cords instead of one. Oh and the DPS-2000BB requires you to rig up your own fans and this doesn't. Oh and this'll run off 110V and the DPS-2000BB won't.

Also we're looking at having some quantity of 36" cables in addition to the 18" cables.

h@shKraker

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 08:54:31 PM

Man .... that's cool because I just came into ownership of 12 DPS-800 PSUs.  Soooooo ...... count me in as a guaranteed sale :-D  On the prewired one-panel, 3 PSU  setup for the D750 boards .... that's cool too.

H@shKraker

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 09:15:29 PM

I switched 5 Ants over to the 3-panel, that I had running on three separate boards externally wired up in pretty much the same way except without unified fan control. Seems to be working well so far. If I can template all the changes and materials for that setup we should be able to batch some without a lot of trouble.

Also I'm drawing up schematics for an external load-balancing circuit for the DPS-800. If I can get it successfully prototyped this weekend would be nice, and we can get onto PCB design in the next few days. It'll still be many weeks before we'd have a board ready to ship, since we'll first have to get test boards made and stress-test them either into oblivion or passable standards, then get a large batch ordered and start manufacture. I don't see having them before May.

Oh also, anyone buying boards now (or that has bought boards in the last week or so) is getting the new V0.5 boards shipped. The main changes affecting customers are a different DIP switch setup, better current measurement, and the PSU-side connector is actually the real part so it should slot into place a lot smoother and more reliably. New documentation is at http://www.gekkoscience.com/misc/V0.5_Board_Doc.pdf

Trademan1

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:06:06 AM

Just thought id let anyone in Australia know that I bought 2 x of the adapter boards with cables from Sidehack to connect up the 750W power supply and it works like a dream.
Compared to what I had rigged up already, these boards make connecting up an Antminer S1 a piece of cake. I also love the fact that now I can power cycle the Ant by simply flicking the switch.
Not to mention being able to control the fans, without having to jumper the pins, to put them at a quieter operating level.
The cables that come with it have not even gotten warm as they are nice and thick guage.
From the time I ordered and paid for the boards, it took about 2 weeks, which I think was mainly due to them being held up in customs, but they arrived no worries at all. Sidehack posted the gear the day I paid for them.
So anyone hesitating buying these boards to run with the Dell server power supplies for a bucketload cheaper than the Corsairs or others, just do it. You wont regret it.
SockMunkee

Activity: 52

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:25:58 PM

Just thought id let anyone in Australia know that I bought 2 x of the adapter boards with cables from Sidehack to connect up the 750W power supply and it works like a dream.
Compared to what I had rigged up already, these boards make connecting up an Antminer S1 a piece of cake. I also love the fact that now I can power cycle the Ant by simply flicking the switch.
Not to mention being able to control the fans, without having to jumper the pins, to put them at a quieter operating level.
The cables that come with it have not even gotten warm as they are nice and thick guage.
From the time I ordered and paid for the boards, it took about 2 weeks, which I think was mainly due to them being held up in customs, but they arrived no worries at all. Sidehack posted the gear the day I paid for them.
So anyone hesitating buying these boards to run with the Dell server power supplies for a bucketload cheaper than the Corsairs or others, just do it. You wont regret it.

Great feedback!

I just got me a pair as well!

Thanks!

Girard
bobsag3

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:39:43 PM

Great feedback!

I just got me a pair as well!

Thanks!

Girard

+3
You will not find a better way to power ants per $ than this here folks.
SockMunkee

Activity: 52

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:43:01 PM

I switched 5 Ants over to the 3-panel, that I had running on three separate boards externally wired up in pretty much the same way except without unified fan control. Seems to be working well so far. If I can template all the changes and materials for that setup we should be able to batch some without a lot of trouble.

Also I'm drawing up schematics for an external load-balancing circuit for the DPS-800. If I can get it successfully prototyped this weekend would be nice, and we can get onto PCB design in the next few days. It'll still be many weeks before we'd have a board ready to ship, since we'll first have to get test boards made and stress-test them either into oblivion or passable standards, then get a large batch ordered and start manufacture. I don't see having them before May.

Oh also, anyone buying boards now (or that has bought boards in the last week or so) is getting the new V0.5 boards shipped. The main changes affecting customers are a different DIP switch setup, better current measurement, and the PSU-side connector is actually the real part so it should slot into place a lot smoother and more reliably. New documentation is at http://www.gekkoscience.com/misc/V0.5_Board_Doc.pdf

Thanks for the quick shipping!  I got them yesterday! 

Thanks again, and they're running smoothly on my OC'd Ants!

~Girard
h@shKraker

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 02:32:47 PM

All,

I have to date ordered, received and am running 6 of these boards with Dell PSUs across 9 AntMiners, 2 BLF SCs and a rack of 16 BitFury V1.2 hashing cards.  Thus far my business dealings with SideHack have been SUPERB and the product he makes does EXACTLY what it's billed to do.  Many thanks SideHack.

H@shKramer

sebdude420

Activity: 397
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 06:28:07 PM

Hey I need some ordered to the UK for a friends. What's the deal can we get them?

OG Bitcoin Miner turned Proof of Stake Validator.
Maxed out Raspberry Pi 4 8GB at 120$ a Day Revenue with ~15K XTZ Bonds in Summer of 2021.
Looking at Proof of Stake systems all across the crypto ecosystem to expand operations.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:51:22 PM

Yep we still got a bunch of 'em. Email sales and see what we can do for ya.

h@shKraker

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:19:41 PM

Sidehack / et. al.,

10 nights ago I put a single AntMiner S1 *AND* a 16 card MegaBigPower Bitfury M-board + H-cards on one of these Dell PSU configurations.  I then attached said combination to a kill-A-watt and plugged into the wall.  For 10 days now this PSU with these miners attached has been pulling between 925 and 965 watts at the wall with *NO* problems.  Now, I'm not recommending you do this same thing however I can say with certainty that it has been done .... by me.  On another note, any news on the DPS-800 breakout board?

H@shKraker

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 01:11:19 AM

That, sir, is a heck of a lot of power.

No word on DPS-800 boards. That other guy is selling some so we're not really gonna prioritize fighting him. Work is progressing on DPS-2000BB boards, stalled of course because we got distracted with some other projects and, well, doing business and stuff.

Still got a bunch of these here 750W boards available.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:08:37 AM

We still have boards, and should have fairly reliable stock for the forseeable future. Anyone wanting full kits, we are out of stock on power supplies until Friday but have plenty of boards and cables. Full Kit orders that come in won't be shipped until the end of the week, but any board/cable orders can be met immediately.

A general update on product development:

We've had some delays with the PCB design, partly because of other projects and partly because of the back-and-forth required for peer reviews - which become more difficult when there's only two people to look at it and both of them are fairly constantly busy. This PCB is a fair bit more complex than the D750 boards, by merit of the built-in fan controller circuit and some required signal inversions, with all the surface-mount components on one side - plus we're trying to design it with heavy internal traces that won't require the external bus wiring. That's somewhat new territory which merited writing up some thermal dissipation code to help out, and we're talking with a different board house than with the D750, an outfit that specializes in high-power traces. We sent the latest board revision (I believe V0.7) to them this afternoon to check out, hopefully we'll be able to place an order and have a short batch back within 7-10 days so we can assemble and start load-testing them. I spent today working on base designs for a 3KW adjustable dummy load so we can do our best to destroy the boards and see what their limits are; DPS-2000BB supply is rated for about 165A but have been tested to operate around 200A, so the board is tentatively rated for 240A. That's the max for the screw terminals and current-measure circuit, at least; hopefully the heavy traces hold up without external bus wiring. If additional buswiring is required for reliable operation at stupidly-high currents, we'll add that to the initial prototype batch and work on revising the design. Once the prototype batch is tested satisfactorily we'll have a few available. Some will probably ship to a few potential large customers and we'll probably have a few for sale to folks that jump on it quick, but after the design is proven it'll be several weeks before we'd have the start of a large batch brought to market. Honestly I wouldn't look for a steady supply before sometime in June.

Design is definitely an iterative process, and we've been lucky so far to not have any catastrophic issues so stuff could be immediately brought to market after initial testing. As we learn more and refine designs more, and develop better tools and processes, stuff will be easier and faster to manufacture. The next D750 boards we'll apply what we learn from the DPS-2000BB development, and hopefully not need external bus wiring on those. All told, we should be able to cut the manufacturing time in half (compared to the original V0.4 boards) while still maintaining, if not increasing, overall quality and reliability.

Starting in a week or so we'll have another full-time guy around to help with manufacture, and we're also constantly working on new tools and methods to ease the process, so once we get to making the next batch of D750 and the first run of DPS-2000 boards, they ought to come off the line fairly quickly. We're also looking into improving the cable-making infrastructure, which if we can pull off what we want to do, we'll be able to have custom-length cable orders and additional standard lengths like 24, 30 and 36 inch in addition to the current 18".

demonmaestro

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 05:15:25 AM

Hmm i keep on scratching my head on this. The only thing that I do not like is the fact that the Dell PSUs are freaking LOUD.

Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:22:43 PM

Well everyone has their own standard for "freaking LOUD". I agree that, at full fan speed - heck even at half speed - they're pretty annoying. But the fans don't need to be up that fast to keep the supplies cool outside of a highly-restrictive-server installation. Mine are running at probably less than quarter speed, about a tenth of the full-speed noise, at 85-90% load for months with no problem. I know some people are touchy about being able to hear fans but honestly I don't care much. I am less annoyed by three of those server supplies with properly adjusted fans than a high-strung GPU fan though, if that helps. I have some running GPUs, and the GPU fans are definitely louder.

And actually, the most annoying server fan I've run into so far was on the DPS-800. I had one running two S1 for a couple weeks to see how it behaved, and those fans are internally thermostat controlled so there's no manual adjustments. Asking 800W from it really pushed the fan up into "Holy crap that's irritating" territory, far past the volume level of a manually adjusted and comfortable-steady-state-cooling 750W Dell.

If I had a dB meter I could give you comparisons, because it's pretty clear my fan noise tolerance is atypically high. I know a guy that can only sleep with earplugs, with less fan noise going on.The last time fans kept me up it was actually the lack of fan noise - a PSU died and my equipment turned off, which the sudden silence woke me up before the fans had even finished spinning down.

klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 07:48:32 PM

Well everyone has their own standard for "freaking LOUD". I agree that, at full fan speed - heck even at half speed - they're pretty annoying. But the fans don't need to be up that fast to keep the supplies cool outside of a highly-restrictive-server installation. Mine are running at probably less than quarter speed, about a tenth of the full-speed noise, at 85-90% load for months with no problem. I know some people are touchy about being able to hear fans but honestly I don't care much. I am less annoyed by three of those server supplies with properly adjusted fans than a high-strung GPU fan though, if that helps. I have some running GPUs, and the GPU fans are definitely louder.

And actually, the most annoying server fan I've run into so far was on the DPS-800. I had one running two S1 for a couple weeks to see how it behaved, and those fans are internally thermostat controlled so there's no manual adjustments. Asking 800W from it really pushed the fan up into "Holy crap that's irritating" territory, far past the volume level of a manually adjusted and comfortable-steady-state-cooling 750W Dell.

If I had a dB meter I could give you comparisons, because it's pretty clear my fan noise tolerance is atypically high. I know a guy that can only sleep with earplugs, with less fan noise going on.The last time fans kept me up it was actually the lack of fan noise - a PSU died and my equipment turned off, which the sudden silence woke me up before the fans had even finished spinning down.

The DPS-800 does get loud. but IMO the worst is the artesyn 835w supplies. They sound okay up to about a 550W draw, then start to really get loud. at 800W+ they are basically srieking due to the tiny singluar 60mm fan

Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 10:18:11 PM

If you have an android or iphone there are actually a few decent sound meter apps

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 10:20:10 PM

Sorry, my phone is just a phone.

demonmaestro

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 11:32:31 PM

They don't break...

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 11:46:29 PM

Nokia's phone business just got finished selling to Microsoft. They'll start breaking any day now.

I got enough spare parts for my Sony Z310a flip-phone to stay in cellular for probably another five years before giving up and building my own phone. I assume in 5 years touchscreen bricks will be the only option left.

cevad

Activity: 26

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:56:18 AM

Received by Kit today - after myself starting to get impatient with the post here lol (my fault for living on the wrong side of Australia).

Didn't come with any documentation, has anyone got the pdf for v0.5 revision board?

Thanks.
bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 06:35:35 PM

So I bought one, and they're great.  My question is, can I put two antminer S1's at stock clock on one power supply?  The S1 claims to pull 360 watts, so with two I'm pulling 720, which is pretty close to the stated 750W.  Is there an inordinate amount of risk in pushing the 750W power supply to that level?
bobsag3

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 06:43:49 PM

So I bought one, and they're great.  My question is, can I put two antminer S1's at stock clock on one power supply?  The S1 claims to pull 360 watts, so with two I'm pulling 720, which is pretty close to the stated 750W.  Is there an inordinate amount of risk in pushing the 750W power supply to that level?

We have had no problems running 2 per PSU times several hundred ants. Works very very well for the cost.
wpgdeez

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 11:55:28 PM

Im running 2 ants per psu as well with no problems so far. Bob, do you adjust the fan speed or leave it at its slowest setting?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 04:33:31 AM

V0.5 board documentation: http://www.gekkoscience.com/misc/V0.5_Board_Doc.pdf

There's also a link on the product page describing how to load-balance multiple supplies.

Officially, we don't support running two overclocked S1 units off a single supply. Unofficially, people have gotten 800W sustained out of these supplies without any problems.

We're working on the next board revision, which shouldn't change any operating points so all specs for the V0.5 boards will still hold. All the changes are for increased ease of manufacture.
Additionally, the first DPS-2000BB boards will ship to us on Friday so middle of next week we'll start assembling and get ready for load-testing. They should be pretty overbuilt, I'm not anticipating any issues with power handling and all the electronics (fan control and whatnot) was triple-verified with schematics of prototyped circuits so hopefully we'll be able to go straight into production on those.

bigbeninlondon

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 11:13:21 AM

I don't really see the benefit of overclocking.  I saw that it takes over 100 watts of extra power and only provides 20-25 GH/s.  Seems like a bad deal to me.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 03:23:48 AM

Depends what you pay in power. If the extra 100W worth of energy use costs less than the yield of 25GH it's still an okay thing. About half of mine are overclocked, mostly because I just didn't crank up the other half. Last I checked, it was still economically favorable for me to run them on higher speeds. Not everyone can say that though.

bigbeninlondon

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 11:20:13 AM

Agreed; some people don't pay anything for electricity.  Lower electricity rates would change this, especially at scale.  I just wonder the trade-off in additional cooling and shorter lifespan.  For me at .11/kWh, with only a few S1's, it really doesn't make sense.
cryptomole

Activity: 53

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:32:41 AM

I'm in the UK - need some breakout boards pretty quick as have asics delivered soon.
I read in that pjcltd was dealing with EU sales - is this still the deal? Otherwise can you ship to UK?
Thanks
CM
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 02:07:59 PM

I believe he's been out of stock for a while, and hasn't gotten ahold of me to get more. We can ship to UK and have stock on hand. Email sales@gekkoscience and we'll get you taken care of.

chadwickx16

Activity: 826

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:10:20 PM

Sidehack,

What the word with the DPS-2000BB?? I'm trying to consolidate my inefficient PSU's into one of those. 

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████████
░░░░███████████████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████████████
░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████████████
░░████████████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░░█████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░▀███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████████████████
░░░░░▄▄██████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌
▐█████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
▐██████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
░███████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░▐████████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████
░░▐███████████████▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄████████████████
░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:30:40 PM

Load-testing was delayed, but we're actually doing that right now on the prototype (and it looks good). If everything works as well as we think it will, I'll be posting tonight or tomorrow about options for prices and preorders. I don't like offering preorders but we'll probably have some big customers on this and it might be the best way for folks to ensure they get their boards quicker, as well as helping get money to actually buy parts in bulk enough for economical pricing.

chadwickx16

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:37:54 PM

Load-testing was delayed, but we're actually doing that right now on the prototype (and it looks good). If everything works as well as we think it will, I'll be posting tonight or tomorrow about options for prices and preorders. I don't like offering preorders but we'll probably have some big customers on this and it might be the best way for folks to ensure they get their boards quicker, as well as helping get money to actually buy parts in bulk enough for economical pricing.

Sounds good! I'll be awaiting the good news!  Smiley

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:26:14 PM

We've got one running right now outputting 195A (note that's 30A or 18% above PSU rating), according to the board's current measurement. The power traces on the 12V side are getting warm, mostly from sinking heat from the current sense resistors. The power traces on the ground side are maybe 10C above ambient, maybe. At 195A, that's pretty darn good. We'll assemble a prototype board with no current sense and rerun the test to check the 12V side's internal heating. If after many hours of burn-in everything still looks as good as it does right now, we'll be in business.

chadwickx16

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:33:16 PM

We've got one running right now outputting 195A (note that's 30A or 18% above PSU rating), according to the board's current measurement. The power traces on the 12V side are getting warm, mostly from sinking heat from the current sense resistors. The power traces on the ground side are maybe 10C above ambient, maybe. At 195A, that's pretty darn good. We'll assemble a prototype board with no current sense and rerun the test to check the 12V side's internal heating. If after many hours of burn-in everything still looks as good as it does right now, we'll be in business.

Sounds great, I would love to consolidate my 5 PSU's powering my 8 Ants right now.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:48:16 AM

Bump for a big price drop on boards and kits, effective until Friday afternoon. We're overstock and need to clear some shopspace. Get 'em while we got 'em.

firejuan

Activity: 256

Because it's sterile...

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2014, 01:48:31 AM

I have bothered the crap out of sidehack, but he has been very patient and answered all my questions. Excellent customer service and I am sure his product will be just as good if not better.  Ordered six PSU and board kits tonight.  I can't wait to pair them up with my bitfury boards.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2014, 05:26:54 AM

As for the sale pricing, we're gonna leave the prices where they are for a while - no fixed deadline, just until we feel like changing them. So, you know, buy the stuff because discounts and quality.

redeyez21

Activity: 38

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 03:04:58 PM

by 'complete kit' would that just mean everything to get the ants powered and hashing? - might want 3

cheers buddy
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 03:08:47 PM

One PSU, one interface board, four cables. Enough for two S1 units. Officially overclocking is not recommended for both ants on a single PSU, but just between you and me these supplies are good for about 20% over rated current so yes it will work just fine.

Shipping is a flat rate for up to 3 kits, so buying 3 gets you the cheapest combined price - right now that's $60 per kit with shipping.

redeyez21

Activity: 38

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 03:25:32 PM

Would I just need to get 3 UK PC power cables? I know this is house specific but would I be able to draw enough power from a UK 240v for 6 ants in one room?

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 07:27:28 PM

The power supply requires a standard C13/C14 cord. 6 Ants would require about a 10A 240V circuit. If you have that available, you'd be good to go. Also, shipping to the UK is gonna be more than mentioned in the previous post; the $15 flat is for domestic US shipments. Email sales and we'll work something out with you.

Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:20:15 PM

Will your full kit power a habanero ?
Airwhale

Activity: 221

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:35:17 PM

That's what I am wondering,  also.  I've heard that these psu's can actually take about 850w or so,  so it should be able to power one,  particularly at around 650 Ghash.  I don't have a HF clone board to test this yet, though,  but I expect it will.  If not,  I'll just load balance n psus to power n-1 boards.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:43:12 PM

https://peppermining.com/hash-rate-power-consumption-and-clock-speed/

I'd have no qualms about pushing one of these supplies to 800W. I noticed on the Habanero page that the DC input at 925MHz was less than 800W, and I doubt most people will be able to push their boards that high. You'd need a couple amps overhead for pump and fans. If you set on 900MHz and take in the expected 730W, that allows you a good 6A left over for peripheral.

Additionally, because the Habanero has independent rails, you can put 4 PSU to 3 boards if you want, without having to worry about wiring up common bus and current-share, and each one should pull less than 600W.

For the record, I'll probably be buying one or two Habaneros in the near future to play with and plan on using these PSUs. I'll likely run two kits tied and balanced for two boards, so I can use the combined overhead for cooling (my watercooling setup is very likely "overkill", the radiator fan is 1200CFM Cool )

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 01:55:07 AM

Yep, still selling these. Sale is still going on - 750W/91%eff shipped for $70 or less.

daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 05:29:41 PM

Can you post a pic of what these should look like when they are tied together for load balancing? I saw the pic on your webpage, but I just wanna make 100% sure when I get my 2 kits I know the correct way to do it. Thanks.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 01:26:29 PM

There's information on the webpage of how to wire them together for loadbalancing. It's pretty straightforward. I think the link is at the bottom of the product page.

daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:03:23 PM

There's information on the webpage of how to wire them together for loadbalancing. It's pretty straightforward. I think the link is at the bottom of the product page.

I understand wiring the 12V and the ground. What kind of wire to I need to run for the common current share line? Just wrap a wire around the 4th pin? Or find a wire to fit on the pin?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:08:35 PM

It's pretty much a signal line, so current handling isn't really a consideratin. I've been tagging boards together with about 28AWG. Wire wrap is fine if you can't find any single-pin hanging sockets.

daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 03:23:50 PM

It's pretty much a signal line, so current handling isn't really a consideratin. I've been tagging boards together with about 28AWG. Wire wrap is fine if you can't find any single-pin hanging sockets.

I appreciate the help. Thanks!
warrensgun

Activity: 195

Mining since bitcoin was $1

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 11:11:49 PM

Let's say one has several 20A circuits, could you load balance and wire together several of these - spread across multiple circuits?

Also when you load balance the 3 - per the picture - can you put another wire on the 12V terminal that is being shared - ie can you still have 4 PCIe leads out of each board? 

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 11:53:00 PM

I doubt there's any issue load-balancing across multiple 20A 120V circuits. The problems with crossing circuits have to do with AC phasing, but the neutral line is common and transformers see to the rest.

As for running 4 leads per board, the thing to be concerned about is where your currents will be going if there's a failure. Say one of your supplies drops out, and the others have to pick up the slack. You don't want more than 20A coming out of any one screw terminal for very long, so if one PSU's terminal has to source 10A of backup current to a down supply *and* more than 10A of current to an attached device, you run into problems. I'd actually recommend jumpering at least two screw terminals per board for a reliable redundant setup, with at least 12AWG (or multiple smaller per) wire.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:03:36 AM

We still have plenty of boards and full kits available and the sale pricing is continued. These guys should be idea for powering stuff like the RK-Box. Hard to beat 750-800W at 90+% efficient for $55.

DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:12:51 AM

Given the details so far about the S3's, should one of these be able to power an S3?

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:13:09 AM

We still have plenty of boards and full kits available and the sale pricing is continued. These guys should be idea for powering stuff like the RK-Box. Hard to beat 750-800W at 90+% efficient for $55.

I have two spares on hand now waiting for whatever looks good hardware-wise.  Will probably order more, but need to solve for A before figuring out B.  The manufacturers continue to mine and we wait.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:20:25 AM

I'm also pretty encouraged about the S3, looks like it could be a fun piece of hardware. I don't recall the specs exactly but it was something around 400W?

DebitMe
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:28:35 AM

I'm also pretty encouraged about the S3, looks like it could be a fun piece of hardware. I don't recall the specs exactly but it was something around 400W?

Power Supply: 4 +12V DC input, PCI-e connectors
That is what they say, I assume that means there will be connectors for wires and not just PCI-e connectors, maybe better to wait and see what it looks like..

hardhouseinc

Activity: 672

Most Advanced Crypto Exchange on the Blockchain

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2014, 06:27:20 AM
Last edit: June 27, 2014, 07:00:43 AM by hardhouseinc

@sidehack:

Sir:

Im trying to make this work:

Do you think a few PCI-E breakouts / adapters off the existing motherboard ATX connector and various
other connectors will work?

Anyone every tried using one of these server backplanes out of the DELL server?

It was pretty cheap compared to one of the 12V breakout boards and cables set.

Plus this powers both PSUs, only one needed.  I think I got it for $15 on Ebay.

If I got the full 700W each out of them, how many S3 miners do you think you can run
with the two?  These were 2850 PSUs

▄▄▄▄
            ██████▄▄
            ██████████▄
            ████████████▄
       ▄▄███   ▀▀█████████▄
    ▄███████       ▀███████▌
  ▄█████████         ▀██████▌
 ▄██████████           ██████
▄███████████
████████████
████████████
████████████
▀███████████
 ▀██████████           ██████
  ▀█████████         ▄██████▌
    ▀███████       ▄███████▌
       ▀▀███   ▄▄█████████▀
            ████████████▀
            ██████████▀
            ██████▀▀
            ▀▀▀▀
|
CRYPTOCIRCLEX
THE MOST ADVANCED CRYPTO EXCHANGE ON THE BLOCKCHAIN
|

██ ██
███████████▄
  ███   ▀▀███
  ███     ▐██
  ███    ▄███
  ██████████▄
  ███    ▀▀███
  ███      ▐██
  ███     ▄███
████████████▀
    ██ ██
    ▀▀ ▀▀
#Forum ANN

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█  ▀▀     █ ▀█▄
█  ▀▀▀▀   █   ▀█
█         ▀▀▀▀▀█
█      ███▄    █
█   ▄██  ▀██   █
█  ▐███        █
█  ▐███        █
█   ▀██  ▄██   █
█      ███▀  █ █
█          ▀▀▀ █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
#Whitepaper

▄█████
   ████▀▀▀
   ████
   ████
██████████
▀▀▀████▀▀
   ████
   ████
   ████
   ████
   ████
   ▀▀▀▀
#Facebook 

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
#Twitter         

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
#Medium     

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████
▐███████████████████████████▌
▐███████████  ▀█████████████▌
▐███████████     ▀██████████▌
▐███████████     ▄██████████▌
▐███████████  ▄█████████████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
 ███████████████████████████
 ▀█████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
#YouTube   

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

#Telegram
|
flat4power

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:34:29 AM

Hi,

nice work Wink

can you say me if your breakout bord is compatible with Dell 2850 power supply (NPS-700AB) ?

thanks

Matthieu
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 01:09:26 PM

Hi,

nice work Wink

can you say me if your breakout bord is compatible with Dell 2850 power supply (NPS-700AB) ?

thanks

Matthieu

Pretty sure they use different connectors and pinouts.

flat4power

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 01:21:36 PM

thanks

is it possible to have schematics to adapt your good work for Dell 2850 PSU ?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 01:26:48 PM

Are you asking if you can modify one of the 2950 boards for a 2850? It's technically possible but it'd actually be easier to start over from zero because even the pin spacing on the connectors is different.

flat4power

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 01:29:41 PM

I know pin are different but I'm not able to realize a product as yours.
All on you product is good with IO header etc ...

So I'm able to translate your schematics originally for D750 to NPS-700 but not to create a totally new one

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 03:44:22 PM

https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020140630025130637RV8OhOwt06BC

Looks like these PSU kits will handle a pair of S3 units with room to overclock. $55 (plus shipping) to source power for 1TH I think sounds pretty good.

klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:13:34 PM

Two alternative setups for the gigampz DPS800 boards: you can fit 2 16awg wires per terminal if you need to balance larger loads. I sell both the 6" 18awg splitters and 24" 16awg leads in my signature link. I imagine that the D750 boards would behave the same way

This is what happens when you use adapters with thin wires unable to carry a load. notice this is an 8pin ATX to 6pin PCIe adapter that burnt up under 200w load, probably only a 22awg wire at best. it even melted into a nearby fan wire.

notice the difference between the burnt-out adapter and the 18awg y-splitter I sell. There is also a 16awg tip from the 24" cable visible, which is a little bit thicker again.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:24:17 PM

I don't sell anything under 16AWG. I've pulled 27A per cable before with no issues - certainly don't recommend that for extended periods but they can do it. The $55 kit comes with 4 16AWG 18" 6-pin cables.

warrensgun

Activity: 195

Mining since bitcoin was $1

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:39:31 AM

I've picked up 7 of these boards - and I have to say - I'm dumb founded.  Most of these 750 supplies can consistently pull 800 to 850 from the wall and not even blink.  Sure they are loud when you turn the fan up, but the screw terminals mean infinite wiring options for any type of device whether it is PCI-e or not.  Just wanted to say - I'm thrilled with them.

pmorici

Activity: 479

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:46:14 AM

I've picked up 7 of these boards - and I have to say - I'm dumb founded.  Most of these 750 supplies can consistently pull 800 to 850 from the wall and not even blink.  Sure they are loud when you turn the fan up, but the screw terminals mean infinite wiring options for any type of device whether it is PCI-e or not.  Just wanted to say - I'm thrilled with them.

A supply rated for 750 Watts running at full load is expected to pull more than 750 Watts at the wall by 10-20% depending on the efficiency.  The 750 Watt rating is for the output power.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 12:51:56 AM

The overcurrent protection in the supply trips out typically around 76 to 80A. I've taken them up that far using a dummy load through one of our boards. Not sure how well they'll sustain that power, but we've had customers reporting running upward of 800W sustained without any problems.

chadwickx16

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 10:00:40 PM

Sidehack,

Just e-mailed your sales for a Dell.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
desantos

Activity: 8

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 06:15:55 PM

Anyone in the UK selling these Breakout Boards with cables ??
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 01:36:38 PM

We've still got some of these for sale. They've been moving a bit more lately, looks like folks are picking them up to run S3s and RKBoxes and such.

We're looking at building another batch with a feature-stripped option, basically just breakout and basic controls (on/off, internal fan speed, EON, current share) but no 5V rail, no current sense, stuff like that. We'd still have full-feature boards available but also stocking the basic boards, which would probably sell for about $25 apiece.

cesarm

Activity: 92

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:05:07 PM

Too risk to power 5 oced S3s on 3 of those PSUs (load Balanced) ?

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 08:59:40 PM

Three of these would get you at least 2300W without issue, so if your S3 pulls less than about 460W overclocked (recall that's DC power, not from-the-wall) you should be fine. I had five overclocked S1 parked on three of these for a couple months with exactly zero problems.

daddyfatsax

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
July 10, 2014, 09:01:45 PM

Three of these would get you at least 2300W without issue, so if your S3 pulls less than about 460W overclocked (recall that's DC power, not from-the-wall) you should be fine. I had five overclocked S1 parked on three of these for a couple months with exactly zero problems.

Same here. Have 5 OC'd S1's running on 3 of these PSU's load balanced with no issues. I am going to sell the S1's and put the 5 S3's I bought on these PSU's.
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:38:18 AM

Quick shipment and excellent product! Great service from my pals at the scientific gekko academy.

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2014, 03:42:59 AM

Hey, thanks CG. That was indeed a fast delivery. We still have a couple dozen of these kits available if anyone's still looking for reliable, affordable and efficient power.

Also we've gotten several people lately asking about hosting, which we've been considering for a while. The time to make decisions is now upon us, so we're looking for opinions.

If I may redirect the reader to https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622998.msg7814500#msg7814500 for a look at what we might be doing before long, and gather some opinions and try to gauge general interest, it would be appreciated. We've pretty much got until about Tuesday 15th to decide if we're gonna be able to move forward or not.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:56:39 AM

Update - we are currently out of D750 boards. Orders came in hot and fast the last two weeks and drained what we thought was a pretty good buffer. We have PCBs on order for more but don't expect to be shipping any D750 stuff for about two weeks.

We're changing up the "standard package" by offering reduced-feature boards. The stock board won't have current sense or the 5VDC on it, since a lot of people probably don't use those anyway, and it saves a few dollars on parts. Those features will be optional though, so if you want 'em you just need to request 'em. Additionally about the only parts we've ever had issues with failing on these are the toggle switch, so we're replacing the toggle with a push-on push-off button; we're also replacing the fan speed knob with a trimpot. That greatly reduces the amount of stuff sticking up off the board, which will make them slightly less user-friendly but a whole lot less likely to be broken during shipping. If you want the toggle and full-height knob, we can install those instead but you'll have to request 'em.

brad1121

Activity: 45

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 04:05:14 AM

Thought I would mention that I'm selling these as the Aussie Distributor.

I only have 3 left on hand. Then I too will be waiting on stock like the rest of the world.

http://btcminer.com.au/product/dell-750-watt-server-supply-breakout-board/
Trademan1

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 05, 2014, 08:06:05 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2014, 08:32:37 AM by Trademan1

Thought I would mention that I'm selling these as the Aussie Distributor.

I only have 3 left on hand. Then I too will be waiting on stock like the rest of the world.

http://btcminer.com.au/product/dell-750-watt-server-supply-breakout-board/
Just to let the Aussie buyers know that ive bought 2 different orders from Brad and each order was posted super fast and delivered packaged nice and safe.
I bought a couple of the kits which included the PSU, breakout boards and cables, everything needed to power up the Antminer S1s and S3s.
Price is cheap as chips compared to buying an ATX psu.

The kits have been working beautifully running 2 x S1s on one psu and an S3 on the other kit.
Would highly recommend this Aussie Seller.

His website is http://btcminer.com.au/ if you want to check it out.

I also bought a couple of these boards and cables from Gekkoscience around March this year and they are still going strong. He also posted superfast and his aussie reseller is keeping up the tradition.
Anyone in OZ should definitely contact Brad through his website to get the gear within a couple of days compared to the international wait. (Obviously depends on stock levels of course), it looks like a lot of people are using this supercheap, super efficient alternative to expensive ATX setups now.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 04:12:58 AM

Just to let everyone know, we should start rolling out fresh stock of the new batch of D750 boards sometime next week. Initial availability will be the reduced-feature boards, which will be cheaper as just the boards. Kit price will still be $55, as we were selling them previously pretty much at-cost to keep sales up and then didn't change the price when sales exploded.

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6264

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 05:11:36 PM

Just to let everyone know, we should start rolling out fresh stock of the new batch of D750 boards sometime next week. Initial availability will be the reduced-feature boards, which will be cheaper as just the boards. Kit price will still be $55, as we were selling them previously pretty much at-cost to keep sales up and then didn't change the price when sales exploded.

What are the reduced features of the reduced feature board? Or is just the board with nothing else included?
-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2014, 06:09:19 PM

Let me scroll up four posts...

We're changing up the "standard package" by offering reduced-feature boards. The stock board won't have current sense or the 5VDC on it, since a lot of people probably don't use those anyway, and it saves a few dollars on parts. Those features will be optional though, so if you want 'em you just need to request 'em. Additionally about the only parts we've ever had issues with failing on these are the toggle switch, so we're replacing the toggle with a push-on push-off button; we're also replacing the fan speed knob with a trimpot. That greatly reduces the amount of stuff sticking up off the board, which will make them slightly less user-friendly but a whole lot less likely to be broken during shipping. If you want the toggle and full-height knob, we can install those instead but you'll have to request 'em.

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6264

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2014, 08:02:31 PM

Let me scroll up four posts...

See what happens when you read all 10 pages, by the end you get stupid (er)

This is me going DUH!

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DebitMe
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 07:49:34 PM

Email sent about ordering some boards a few days ago.  Watching thread while waiting for a reply.

miner_49er

Activity: 4

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 01:30:48 AM

Anyone have any actual efficiency measurements for this PSU or official documentation on the efficiency?  I'm building out a small mine and was testing various PSUs.   I was interested in these because of the efficiency and the fact that there is a board available for them.  By my measurements though these aren't anywhere near 90% efficient.  In fact they are more like 82% which would make them worse than 80 Plus Bronze.  Ironically this PSU was the absolute worst efficiency wise of the 5 different models I tested.  What gives?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2014, 01:24:00 AM

We've got about a dozen and a half boards available, which can be boards or full kits. DPS-2000BB boards are also shipping from stock.

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 08:23:54 PM

We've got about a dozen and a half boards available, which can be boards or full kits. DPS-2000BB boards are also shipping from stock.

Still have boards and cables in inventory? I just finished up retiring a number of Dell servers and managed to secure a few A930, N750, and AA2330 PSUs. Given the connectors are all the same, I imagine the boards are all compatible.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 10:08:27 PM

I know the N750 PSUs (N750P-S0/S1 ?) should be good to go. Yep, I've got a dozen or so boards available and cables are discounted through Sunday night. PM an order and we'll get you fixed up.

jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 02:46:56 PM

Still selling these boards?

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 03:44:19 PM

Yes, yes we are.

jackbox
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 03:55:26 PM

Yes, yes we are.

What is price and international shipping?

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 08:18:29 PM

International shipping prices depend on whether you want just the board and cables, or a full kit including a PSU. Full kits ship up to three in one flat-rate box for $65; non-kit orders will have to be bid individually.

Full kits are $55; interface boards are $28 apiece ($26 for more than 5) and our 18" cables are still $3.50 apiece while 36" cables are $4.50

jackbox
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 08:20:50 PM

International shipping prices depend on whether you want just the board and cables, or a full kit including a PSU. Full kits ship up to three in one flat-rate box for $65; non-kit orders will have to be bid individually.

Full kits are $55; interface boards are $28 apiece ($26 for more than 5) and our 18" cables are still $3.50 apiece while 36" cables are $4.50

I want the full kit but the shipping is too expensive for my budget. What would total price be fore one breakout board and a set of four cables with lowest cost option shipping to Thailand? 18 inches is sufficient. I am in Thailand.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 08:33:34 PM

Looks like shipping would be $25, and $42 on the board and cables.

sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 01:34:50 AM

Are the dell units 240 only?

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 01:39:31 AM

Nope. They like 240V, but they'll run on anything 100V and up.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 04:51:46 PM

So after looking over some of philipma1957's work on running quieter fans on the S5, I've reworked and am testing a D750 board with a 7V rail instead of 5V, to power 12V fans at a lower (quieter) voltage. I've got a fan drawing 1.3A off the 7V line right now and running just fine. So if you're looking to fetch an S5 and run a quieter fan at 7V, you can't hardly beat a server-grade PSU with all the fixings for $55 plus shipping.

Standard stock-board kits (with no current-sense or 5VDC line) are still $50 apiece. We've got plenty.

We can also do custom-length cables with about a day of lead time.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2015, 07:19:48 PM

So, I've put up a consolidated post with all of our offerings in the Marketplace/Computer Hardware section. I'll be maintaining that as the official purchasing thread, I reckon, with updated prices and information.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=940317

goose72

Merit: 3

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 02:18:41 PM

sales@gekkoscience.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you may have been following the development thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=379677.0

What I have designed is a board that interfaces to a Dell PE2950 server power supply, part Z750P or N750P. These supplies are rated for 750W output (12V, 62.4A) and, being industrial-grade, are designed to sustain rated outputs almost indefinitely.

http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/D750_img/main_D750.JPG

The PSU boards themselves socket onto the server supply and break the 12V out to screw terminals for attaching cables. We also have 18" 16AWG PCIe 6-pin cables available for sale with the boards.

Some of the features/benefits of these boards and supplies:
 - Ability to load-balance multiple supplies in parallel for redundancy or higher outputs
 - Replacement supplies can be found for less than $20, compared to >$100 for comparable performance consumer supply
 - If a supply fails, replace it by unplug/replug without having to touch wiring
 - User-defined wiring means no octopus of unnecessary cables
 - External power-on signal, can be wired to a "master" PSU so multiple supplies turn on simultaneously and automatically
 - Integrated current measurement, you can keep track of actual load consumption*
 - Integrated 3.3VSB and 5VDC 2A supplies
 - Internal and external fan speed control for PSU's internal cooling fan

*current measure is not officially supported (inaccurate measurement) in V0.4 boards, currently the only ones available, but the issue was fixed on the V0.5 boards which will start shipping probably in about two weeks.

The actual product page is http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/D750_supply_breakout_board.html

One supply will easily support two Cubes on full overclock or two stock-speed AntMiner S1 units. Some testing was done with two overclocked AntMiner S1 operating but I don't recommend it. I do have four S1 at 400MHz running flawlessly off three supplies load-balanced; I should be able to add a fifth without overloading. I also have one running a GPU in my workstation, using the EON input tied to the ATX supply so it powers on with the rest of the computer.

The current offering is Reduced-Feature boards, which do not have Current Sense or 5VDC. These features were not often used, so removing them by default saves the customer money. They also have a smaller fan-speed pot and a push-on/push-off power button because we were having reports of toggle switches breaking off. We can, by request, populate boards to the previous standard (toggle, fan knob, current sense, 5VDC) for any order.

Pricing on Reduced-Feature Boards:
1-5 $28 apiece
6-10 $26 apiece
10-25 $24 apiece.

Pricing on 16AWG 6-pin PCIe Cables:
18" $3.50 apiece
36" $4.50 apiece

Full Kits include 1xZ750P PSU, 1xInterface Board, 4x 18" cables for $55

Shipping will be fulfilled by USPS Priority. Domestic shipping rate estimates:

Up to 5 boards + 20 cables, $10
Up to 20 boards + 80 cables, $20
Up to 3 full kits, $15

We accept both PayPal and BTC payments, where BTC will be based off the dollar value and a CoinBase exchange grabbed randomly sometime during the day.

For ordering information, email "sales@gekkoscience.com" and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. We are shipping from standing stock.
If you have questions about anything and want a more-or-less immediate answer, either read the development thread or use the email above.

Hey Sidehack,

Sorry to post this here but since the site still considers me a Newbie I am only allowed 2 messages per day... Undecided

Priced just like here sounds good?

Thanks
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2019, 02:33:36 PM

@goose72  Do you realise that you just quoted a five years old post?

goose72

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 04:13:07 PM

@goose72  Do you realise that you just quoted a five years old post?

Yes I do, I am trying to send a message to sidehack and since I'm a Newbie(not really original name goose1072 got hacked) I need to wait a day.

Thanks
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2533

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 04:21:07 PM

Huh So just contact him though his website, Gekoscience.com.... Too obvious a solution eh?

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
goose72

View Profile
January 19, 2019, 04:25:14 PM

Huh So just contact him though his website, Gekoscience.com.... Too obvious a solution eh?

I tried that once and received no response, I think this would be quicker. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: