Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 08:32:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Braiins OS & Braiins OS+ custom ASIC firmware: optimize performance & efficiency  (Read 45090 times)
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2020, 01:39:08 PM

hi
i have t1 16 th/s miner.
can i use  braiins frimware Huh

my miner control boards have not memory card socket.

It is recommended that you do not. T1 support is getting completely dropped following next release. This is because the T1 was barely a basic test use at best.

Its better that you keep your factory firmware.

If you try it, you will be on your own.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Bruru

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2020, 06:03:46 AM
Last edit: April 03, 2020, 11:02:43 PM by frodocooper

Did some test, great software. I burned 2 hashboards when running autotune @1599watts when the standard power supply, so watch out and test.
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2020, 01:24:11 PM

Did some test, great software.
I burned 2 hashboards when running autotune @1599watts when the standard power supply, so watch out and test.

Well the default power limit is 1200w, which is roughly 20% and is the safe margin for a typical 1600w psu. If you rise this level like that, you will be stressing your PSU. There are of course the thermal limits, but they need the sensors to be properly working (which may not).

Did you also change the temperature limits? The new default is "aim for 89°C", it was aim for 75°C before, so beware of that.

And if you use bOS+ for the autotuning, this can take anywhere from 2 to 6 hours, and the miner will restart many times; it will keep trying higher settings according to your limits (which is why you shouldn't mindlessly increase either power or temperature limits). You could wait for the next release until things get ironed out, or stick to the community version and use sane settings.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Bruru

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 03, 2020, 05:02:43 PM

I didn't changed the temp settings and I agree this is the problem.
I think it would be better to change to defaults to a lower target temp.
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2020, 05:19:59 PM

With default values, bOS+ aims to overclock the unit, within those two limits: 1200w, and 89°. Under excellent air flow conditions, it could take it to 17TH, but its common to see 15TH.

You can see people in this very thread people complaining about the previous warning temp value at 95° being "too low", these are now 100° for "Hot", and 110° for "dangerous" (power off). You can always change those values to whatever you like.

Also you can switch to the community edition and do the tuning yourself, i have explained this process on this thread before, you can manually adjust the voltage and speed per hashboard yourself, but be sure to measure your watt usage when overclocking to avoid damage to your PSU.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
adamjamal

Activity: 29
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 14, 2020, 02:43:03 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2020, 03:41:32 AM by frodocooper

Does this firmware work on S9k or S9E ?
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2020, 07:57:42 PM
Last edit: April 16, 2020, 03:41:55 AM by frodocooper

Not yet. They are currently working in S17 support. Make sure you subscribe their newsletter in their website to be readily informed, or join the telegram group if you have any more questions.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Seph213

Activity: 124

View Profile
April 20, 2020, 04:42:15 PM

the new firmware  bos with autotune has a 2% dev fee ?
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2020, 05:44:26 PM

the new firmware  bos with autotune has a 2% dev fee ?

Braiins OS in the year 2020 offers two versions:

Braiins OS Community edition: No fees, no autotune.
Braiins OS+ Enterprise edition: 2% devfee with autotune.

The autotuning component remains closed proprietary, but the rest shares the same open source code.

Also, both editions use BOSminer rather than cgminer, which allows Stratum V2 for secure connections to any pool that supports it.

If you decide to use Braiins OS+ with Slushpool, the pool fee is half, so instead of a 2% pool fee you now pay a 1% pool fee.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Seph213

View Profile
April 20, 2020, 07:16:26 PM
Merited by frodocooper (3)

I'm testing the autotuning on 3 S9's

One superstar s9I that was giving me 14th @ 77j/th with regular BOS.

One S9 that was problematic , had horrible stability and efficiency with other custom firmware and bitmain. Talking about +95j/th.

One S9J that always stopped mining after 1 min on bitmain and BOS.

On the webpage i read somewhere that it takes between 2-6 hours to autotune , how do i know when it's done ? there's no indication it's tuning except for the fact it changes frequency and voltage every now and then .

Short of testing it myself on every miner , how do i know it's actually running at the watt i set  ?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4536
Merit: 1847

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 21, 2020, 01:39:15 AM
Last edit: April 21, 2020, 02:08:02 AM by kano

Braiins OS+ Enterprise edition: 2% devfee with autotune.

Also, both editions use BOSminer rather than cgminer, which allows Stratum V2 for secure connections to any pool that supports it.

If you decide to use Braiins OS+ with Slushpool, the pool fee is half, so instead of a 2% pool fee you now pay a 1% pool fee.

Doesn't that mean a 3% pool fee? i.e. it went up?
1% pool fee + 2% dev fee (to the pool) required to use OS+ ....

P.S. paying 2% of all your rewards for a basically pointless SSL slower connection to the pool seems expensive ...

One of the reasons I don't have more units mining on this firmware is the no proof issue of blocks.

I have about 2 ph of sha-256 mining on viabtc pps+ it would be nice to see some blocks hit proof for any aftermarket firmware.
Then ...

YOU are in a better position with your mining hoard to test this simple but (seemingly) enigmatic question. A single miner will undoubtedly have almost ZERO chance to find any block with BTC, but 2PH could easily solve the problem of answering this question mate.

You don't need 2PH to test it.
It's a simple question that the developers can test and answer.
Test their code properly to ensure it does find current level blocks.

No idea why they won't do this unless it's beyond their abilities?
If that's the case then everyone should be concerned about using software they wrote ...

... though ck wouldn't do it either on his pool code (and lost blocks ...) even though I also told him how to test it properly Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2604

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 21, 2020, 12:45:35 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2020, 06:38:27 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Since Slushpool looks for BOSminer ID flags then that will certainly make it very easy for Slush to know if their software works as-advertised and finds blocks. When a miner finds a block Slush and the BOS devs will know what it is running.

Does this mean that they might finally answer this simple but seemingly intractable question: "Does it find blocks at same rate as 'official' OEM firmware" by providing direct proof that it does?

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2020, 01:22:17 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2020, 11:41:07 PM by frodocooper

[...]

Take a look at the logs, when its autotuning, it shows the word TUNE (Cheesy Tune) Cheesy. It may restart many times while trying different speed and voltage combinations until it decides it has the best one.

And yes we have requested better signaling for this, maybe some alert in the UI and i personally requested a led indication, lets hope they make it soon Smiley

It seems they are focusing in bug fixing, improving (and saving) the results of autotuning, and add S17 support.

Be careful fiddling with the powerlimit value, i think this value is based on estimation, I don't think the controller can tell how many watts the PSU is really pulling. A tool for measuring is the safest bet, don't pop your PSU! The default is 1420W which should be safe.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Seph213

View Profile
April 27, 2020, 01:49:28 PM
Merited by frodocooper (4)

So been a week with bos+ and here is my experience .

I put 4 miners on it . S9i , S9 and S9J

autotune works great , it's stable once it's set .

Problem i notice is the autotune is not saved so if the miner needs reboot u have to run the autotune again .

Also on those 4 miners 3 of them simply stopped mining at some point for no reason and a reboot was needed which is annoying cause i had to run autotune again .

Some miners would not show the chip temperature on bos+ but on the old bos or bitmain ( cgminer) it would show up .

Can't go spreading bos+ on a lot of miners cause i'd get issues daily and have to run autotune all the time at a 2% fee.

Will wait for the next update and test again, hopefully they fix those inconvenient bugs .
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 2275

EIN: 82-3893490

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2020, 09:31:46 PM

why is braiins os+ not open source like the original braiins os?

it was probably mentioned somewhere but I missed it if it was. Also, doesn't the site state

Revenue from Braiins OS+ is used to continue developing the open-source mining stack sustainably in the years ahead

if its to "continue developing the open-source" - then why is it not itself open source?

or am I missing something here?

Mine BTC @ kano.is
Offering escrow services https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5154480
All Bitcoin 3D printing needs at CryptoCloaks
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2020, 11:12:37 PM

Their autotune algorithm is proprietary, i believe this is embedded in "BOSminer+" when you use Braiins OS+ rather than Braiins OS.
The rest shares the same code as far as i know. Feel free to check their github etc.

Braiins OS+ has a 2% devfee. If you use it with Slushpool, the pool fee is reduced by half (1%).

Stay tuned for the imminent next release, things are only just getting started...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 2275

EIN: 82-3893490

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2020, 12:52:32 AM

just seems that it is a tiny bit hypocritical to say the funding from the dev fee is to further the open source nature of the whole thing when its not fully open sourced.

but that is my opinion.

Mine BTC @ kano.is
Offering escrow services https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5154480
All Bitcoin 3D printing needs at CryptoCloaks
mitzidim

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 30, 2020, 06:35:01 AM

Hello, Braiins OS works on T9+?

Thnx!
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2020, 06:53:44 PM

Hello, Braiins OS works on T9+?

Thnx!

The only currently supported models are: S9, S9j and S9i. Nothing else.

The next release will likely add support to the S17 family. Other models might come later, so stay tuned.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4536
Merit: 1847

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 03:04:40 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2020, 12:28:46 PM by kano

Their autotune algorithm is proprietary, i believe this is embedded in "BOSminer+" when you use Braiins OS+ rather than Braiins OS.
The rest shares the same code as far as i know. Feel free to check their github etc.

Braiins OS+ has a 2% devfee. If you use it with Slushpool, the pool fee is reduced by half (1%).

Stay tuned for the imminent next release, things are only just getting started...
Alas I wonder if they are breaking their own license?

The rust code in the github is GPLv3 so they can't include that in a closed source release if they change even a single line of it.

e.g.
https://github.com/braiins/braiins/blob/bos-devel/open/protocols/stratum/src/payload.rs

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »
  Print  

Jump to: