Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:07:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MYTHBUSTERS: Only high ranked users are rewarded with merits  (Read 1156 times)
erikoy

Activity: 686
Merit: 125

View Profile
November 11, 2018, 10:23:03 AM

Well it is not true that only high ranked users are rewarded with merits. I could even attest to it because I was once a demoted to newbie but see how I was able to comeback and even rank up to member. This because the merit source had helped me and seen that I could step up my posting skill and gave me some merits. I was motivated by them to participate actively in the discussions instead of spamming in those SMT.

Now, I am still looking back in this section because I can learn so many things here about the forum. I am going back to the basic first and learn some things here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
November 11, 2018, 12:56:21 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2018, 02:51:54 PM by cryptohunter

Although of course the statement

"Only high ranked users are rewarded with merits"  was always going to be domonstrated as incorrect due to the fact it was kind of an extreme statement.

It is quite a complex thing to really get to grips with but in broad strokes I would feel quite confident about saying if a new poster is posting on the alt board (alts are generally the thing most noobs gravitate to ) you are going to be a huge disadvantage compared to posting in the meta section and being an established member of a group that are familiar with each other and have previously supported their posts/ideas. Again that is quite normal and not really something I think is really a big issue.

However to try say that these things are not factors of varying weight could be misleading. I think noobs that make claims similar to merit goes to those legends and top merit holders already are not to be mislead into believing they are barking up the wrong tree and in the wrong forest.  I think that if I were a smart new user here though I could devise a way to accumulate merits rather quickly but then you may not be able to post freely and in a natural way that boards should really encourage.

If you do want merit certainly do not question or push against ideas or those that have it in abundance that is for sure.

I also strongly suspect that a significant and perhaps far too large  proportion of merits GIVEN out by the top 100/top 200 merit holders are retained within the top 100/200 top merit holders.

So although it is not true that only high ranked users are rewarded with merit, there are other statements one could create that could seem that things are not as far from that situation as would be ideal.

You have busted a myth based on a statement that I would say nobody would honest think was realistic and have provided some good data but on the other hand if i was a new poster here posting in the section that of most interest to most new users I would have to assume a lot of merits that could be coming my way will be going to a group of people in meta who don't really need them.

I have recently been wondering if this is a bad thing or not. It is certainly not a reason to end merits as they are fighting successfully one of the most board destorying trends.  I think that merit could be given a far greater power to make the board better but nobody seems to favour my previous proposals regarding them. Maybe because they are not great ideas or hard to implement but I didn't see any real argument that demonstrated that.

Merits were introduced with good intentions and I think they even in current form are of great use and benefit. Lets not though consider them as a perfect system and not tell people nothing to say here when they notice some issues.

Infinixhot1996

Activity: 98
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 11, 2018, 01:25:01 PM

While definitely merits isn't only given to high ranked members(everyone is aware of that), merits is definitely handed out based on quality contributions,and thus whoever such contributions come/is coming from ought to be rewarded with a merit of the sources/user feels so irrespective of ranks or what have you..

So many new/demoted users have ranked up quickly,and some have even ranked up quickee than the others(the OP is an example)
As of this moment I cannot really see anything wrong with the merit system,the merit sources are doing their possible best to fish out meritable posts,and it's definitely not an easy task in the forum this days
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: