Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:03:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for someone to create/modify software for this forum [5500+ BTC]  (Read 165567 times)
thefiatfreezone

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 01:15:59 AM

I'm not ecstatic about any of the bids, and I'm not in a hurry.

Ah, good to know.  I'm thinking it will be interesting to see when complete.

Oh, what kind of budget are you currently looking at for this ? just curious as you probably have many bids already.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 02:59:31 AM

Oh, what kind of budget are you currently looking at for this ? just curious as you probably have many bids already.

There's ~1100 BTC available right now.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
celcoid

Activity: 280
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 08:19:38 PM

My BID is 500BTC
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 09:46:48 PM

My BID is 500BTC

Quote from: theymos
Bids should include at least this info:
- A description of the general architecture you plan
- A list of any of the optional features I mentioned that your software will have
- Additional features your software will have that I didn't mention
- Samples of your past code
- A price. If you want links or other "perks", include these as part of the price.

BinoX

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 10:17:30 PM

I hope this is still going to be open when my major projects are done, because then I'll be adding a bid...

Going by the current spec, all features and optional features listed would be implemented (as a PHP based system).. Also would include a simple-to-code plugin system for greater flexibility... But with my standard rate you'd be looking at $8000 - $10000 in money or bitcoins...

But I won't be done with current projects until early March (and if I started then it would take 2 - 3 months for implementation and full testing)... Although I would probably draw up a detailed spec in some spare hours...

If you think that's going to be too much (and many people would), can you let me know so I don't waste time drawing up a spec for no reason?

Thanks.

Here's a list of the range of some of the different systems I've written over the years:

E-commerce site with custom credit card management backend and encryption
The Seychelles official tourist board website (2002-2006 version), including a secure ordering API
Secure, multi-device accessible live shipping tracker for Imerys Minerals with offline, encrypted, data archival and remote data destruction in case of device removal
Pupil information manager for a group of colleges allowing both internal and external access to the data, with per user access down to the individual fields of each item (fast system serving approx 20,000 requests/sec at peak times without slowdown)
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 09:35:24 AM

I hope this is still going to be open when my major projects are done, because then I'll be adding a bid...

Going by the current spec, all features and optional features listed would be implemented (as a PHP based system).. Also would include a simple-to-code plugin system for greater flexibility... But with my standard rate you'd be looking at $8000 - $10000 in money or bitcoins...

But I won't be done with current projects until early March (and if I started then it would take 2 - 3 months for implementation and full testing)... Although I would probably draw up a detailed spec in some spare hours...

If you think that's going to be too much (and many people would), can you let me know so I don't waste time drawing up a spec for no reason?

Thanks.

Here's a list of the range of some of the different systems I've written over the years:

E-commerce site with custom credit card management backend and encryption
The Seychelles official tourist board website (2002-2006 version), including a secure ordering API
Secure, multi-device accessible live shipping tracker for Imerys Minerals with offline, encrypted, data archival and remote data destruction in case of device removal
Pupil information manager for a group of colleges allowing both internal and external access to the data, with per user access down to the individual fields of each item (fast system serving approx 20,000 requests/sec at peak times without slowdown)

Pretty much same boat for me, I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to have time in the upcoming months to execute before I even bid on this project, but this is the only thing that has pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to price range for a quote on a web application with these specifications. Just giving my two cents, but from theymos' original post and consequent replies, he knows what to reasonably expect when it comes to this sort of thing, which is why the budget is what it is. (Currently ~$7k worth, with 1100 BTC at $6.90/1BTC)

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2012, 01:33:26 AM

The forum has ~1100 BTC now (all available for this project) and will probably have a few hundred more by March. At the current market rate this would be over $8000, though I can't guarantee that the bitcoin price won't go down a lot by then.

Starting in March would be fine, but I want to make a decision about who the bidder will be by the end of January. (If there are no great bidders, I will probably abandon this bidding process, start an open source software project, write the forum core myself, and place bounties on all other required software aspects.)

thefiatfreezone

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2012, 09:42:11 PM

As it has become, I am to desperate to give a shit what I do for what price, sooooooo .. name your desired range and we'll go from there ... I'll do this with a PHP/Postgresql back-end within you budget, it will take about 3-5 months .. ish.

If not .. so be it.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2012, 02:15:55 AM

As it has become, I am to desperate to give a shit what I do for what price, sooooooo .. name your desired range and we'll go from there ... I'll do this with a PHP/Postgresql back-end within you budget, it will take about 3-5 months .. ish.

If not .. so be it.

This bid does not exactly fill me with confidence in your abilities... What's your plan for creating a good product?

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2012, 08:09:11 PM

I say what you should do is create an extremely simple forum that can be created in 20 minutes, and then add functionality every day until it is perfect and secure. 

Like look at this tutorial:

http://phpeasystep.com/phptu/12.html

I can probably set that up for you guys, and then having the code simple and easy to work on, you could add all types of functionality. 
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 12:03:39 AM

I say what you should do is create an extremely simple forum that can be created in 20 minutes, and then add functionality every day until it is perfect and secure. 

I can probably set that up for you guys, and then having the code simple and easy to work on, you could add all types of functionality. 

If you're building this custom forum spec based on a tutorial, you're not the right person for this job. Just putting my two cents in as a professional web applications developer.

ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 02:41:46 AM

If you're building this custom forum spec based on a tutorial, you're not the right person for this job. Just putting my two cents in as a professional web applications developer.

that post had me cracking up Grin

(BFL)^2 < 0
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2012, 12:54:59 AM

lol hey man at least it would be free!  so not one of my better ideas, but it would work.  i firmly believe we should get a vBulletin license and use that for the forum. 

I will be absolutely amazed if we get custom-tailored forum software made, if anyone deserves it it's us, but I am not going to hold my breath.

I did, however, create a bet on betofbitco.in for this Smiley
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 01:10:00 PM

I'm a high quality/standards obsessed maniac who doesn't sleep because a period is out of place on a post of mine somewhere out there on the internet.

Although currently incomplete you can take a look at some of the .cpp source for my upcoming open source project at https://github.com/ciyam/ciyam - bet you've rarely seen code this neatly written (including the copyright comments at the top of each .h, .cpp file).

Cheers,

Ian.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 06:45:15 PM

I'm not bidding but I'd just like to pipe up and say that you should consider making it an extension to some already developed and free software solution (ie phpBB3) rather than developing it from scratch.

Economic: This ensures that it's maintainable by anyone with experience in the platform, larger the platform's user base the larger the pool of developers you can pull from. The vast majority of the code has already been written, so it ought to be cheaper.

User: The UI components will have already been tested by millions of people, ensuring a consistent user experience if not a "great" one. It's what users have used before and what they expect.

Security: Because thousands of hackers have already tried to break into it, it's already proven to be robust. When anyone else anywhere in the world gets exploited, you get a bugfix and a security update.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 10:32:43 PM

Are you dead set on PHP? I know PHP, but I really am loving python.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 11:13:37 PM

PHP or C++ are greatly preferred because I am very familiar with these languages and they are both fast enough. I will consider bids in other languages, though.

Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 11:21:45 PM

PHP or C++ are greatly preferred because I am very familiar with these languages and they are both fast enough. I will consider bids in other languages, though.
Thanks for the fast response.  My friend and I will get a prototype up in python and then post an official bid.

I guarantee the code will be more readable than the equivalent in PHP.

kpriess

Activity: 415

Money is the root of all evil.

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 05:34:44 AM

Can you seriously not have found someone capable of this by now?  It's been months.

I could do this in my sleep (as a matter of fact I do).   

What may I ask, what is the big problem?Huh Why hasn't this contract began yet?

I'm not ecstatic about any of the bids, and I'm not in a hurry.

Well Theymos, the longer you take the more the site suffers..

It's a free forum, but with a strong name in front of it..
bitplane

Activity: 321

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 07:49:08 PM

Although currently incomplete you can take a look at some of the .cpp source for my upcoming open source project at https://github.com/ciyam/ciyam - bet you've rarely seen code this neatly written (including the copyright comments at the top of each .h, .cpp file).

The first file I randomly clicked on was over 4000 lines long, contains no function documentation, huge stretches of if/elseif blocks (not sure if that's avoidable, but it's damn ugly), magic numbers in your switch blocks and huge code duplication.

I don't mean to crap on your work, but in any mildly successful software company that wouldn't get through a code review. It wouldn't get past me anyway and I'm not even employed as a software engineer.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: