Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:02:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for someone to create/modify software for this forum [5500+ BTC]  (Read 165567 times)
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 03:22:05 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2012, 04:56:34 AM by CIYAM Pty. Ltd.

If you aren't using C++ in a way that is potentially dangerous then C++ isn't the right tool for the job.
Haha. I like this.

If you are using C++ in a way that you are always shooting your feet then you first ought to learn how to shoot.

Smart pointers prevent dangling pointers...

Sorry if I'm coming across as patronizing it just seems to me that your comments don't show a great understanding of modern C++ as std::auto_ptr (what I can only guess you are referring to with the above quote) is on only one type of smart pointer (and if you look into boost there are various others - http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/libs/smart_ptr/smart_ptr.htm). The point is not to just prevent "dangling" pointers (which if you choose to use plain pointers anywhere in between you can't stop anyway) but to carefully control lifetime scope and to safely share pointers amongst owners, observers and (if required to) do so with thread safety.

Really guys - this whole "C++ is too dangerous to use" mantra sounds a little like the '90's Java hyperbole that came out from Sun (now try implementing the very useful RAII or as I prefer to call it "scoped object" pattern in that particular language and enjoy all that added mess of try/finally spaghetti you'll need to release your resource at the right time).

You can use C++ in the same way as your more "beginner friendly" languages and it will do the job - only faster. Even a lot of the old parsing ugliness (such as the old auto_ptr<map<string,string> > vs auto_ptr<map<string,string>> which you can now use) has been addressed.

No one is forcing you to use plain pointers or char arrays (I am guessing your bugbears). Pretty much all areas of real risk are API's (especially OS ones) and underneath all your shiny other languages must be the same API calls (which being C are going to have the same risks - just you are insulated one level from them unless of course your OS is written in a higher level language).

BTW I presume you guys did read that the bitcoin-qt *bug* was actually a missing compiler flag and not due to C++ coding.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 09:13:50 AM

I have actually done a fair bit of programming in C++, and that's why I think it's dangerous.

I'm not saying it's too dangerous to use, I'm just saying it's a poor choice for some applications. Higher level languages are a lot more forgiving when it comes to simple mistakes.

For the record my favourite language is Python and I wouldn't advise using that for such a high transaction website either.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2012, 09:31:49 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2012, 09:42:23 AM by CIYAM Pty. Ltd.

I have actually done a fair bit of programming in C++, and that's why I think it's dangerous.

Nice set of links. Smiley

I really do understand the problems one can encounter programming in C++ (and much more so in C or doing C-ish stuff in C++) and have been programming in C++ since the mid 90's (started using C in the mid to late 80's).

My opinion is that if you do things the "right way" then the most "feared" problems really don't come up (such as buffer overruns, corrupted heaps, memory leaks, etc.) but I think now we are really just trading opinions and of course have gone a fair bit off topic.

The software system that I have built (and am still in the process of turning into an open source project) *generates* 100% of the "application" source code in any case so the usual sorts of problems associated with "coding mistakes" are pretty much irrelevant.

The "forum" package that I've been working on (although it's not a priority amongst many other tasks I'm currently busy with) is getting close to completion (as far the functionality excluding the PMs) so if anyone has any interest when completed I will provide information where they could take a look at it.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 11:43:54 AM

Will be busy doing some "real" work next week but managed to spend a couple of days this week adding to my Forum package.

Here are a few more snapshots of what I've whipped up in the last couple of days (will be leaving it at this as far as posting snapshots goes in case they are too annoying):

This list is similar to the "unread posts" list (currently shows both read and unread but will be adding a checkbox to control this later). The "read" posts appear as light grey.

For a post to marked as "read" you need to click the "Mark As Read" button (will take you back to the list so not really such an inconvenience). In order to reduce (IMHO) unnecessary I/O my system does not work with a "view count" and so will not automatically mark topics as read.

The more interesting button here however is the "Subscribe" - no more silly posts needed to do that job here. Also an "Unsubscribe" button will appear for Topics you have posted in or subscribed to which lead us to the last snapshot:

This is equivalent to the "show new replies" list (currently shows read and unread but will also be adding a checkbox to control this).

You'll notice the "Introduce Yourself" topic does not appear here (as I used the "Unsubscribe" to get rid of it).

Once again all the server software is 100% C++ and is 100% generated. Smiley

Omni

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2012, 10:12:40 PM

Why doesn't the admin of this site use myBb or Php
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 06:51:20 AM

Have you read the first post?

Omni

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 07:05:05 PM

Point me to a piece of the OP that is relevant
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 07:34:19 PM

Need much handholding? Pretty much the whole post is what you need to read, but pay attention to the "Required Features" section. Hint: no "stock" installation of any existing BB software will work because it is insufficient.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 07:55:22 PM

The entirety of it...  Does myBb have all of those features?

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 30, 2012, 03:08:19 AM

This design would be very modular, easy to extend, and easy to break into parts for many people to work on.

I don't know SMF nor much about this project, but even if work on this new system were to be started today, it is many months (or years ?) before this live, production forum would be migrated over to it, right?

Couldn't there be developments to improve (fork) SMF to fix the worst problems in the meantime.   For instance, the ability to stop showing certain threads in the "show new replies"?  Right now there is data destruction occurring as users delete their posts in hopes that they will no longer keep seeing those old threads reappear.

Even if the SMF fork is an all-volunteer effort, at least it is something so that progress forward can start occurring sooner rather than later, no?

I've been too busy (and unmotivated) to do any coding, though I've been thinking about the design a lot.

Considering how much larger this community is than it was back in November when the first post was made, perhaps there is someone capable and willing to take your design ideas and with the help of this forum's community, launch development as an open source project right off the bat and start building?  Let the bounty go towards building community for the project or whatever.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2012, 05:24:22 AM

Considering how much larger this community is than it was back in November when the first post was made, perhaps there is someone capable and willing to take your design ideas and with the help of this forum's community, launch development as an open source project right off the bat and start building?  Let the bounty go towards building community for the project or whatever.

The package that I have implemented for the open source project I will be launching later this year handles the issues of subscribing/unsubscribing very simply and already handles much of the required functionality (child boards, topic locking and moving).

I am working on the project every day and hope to be ready for launch in a couple of months (the delay being due to my having to now start documenting a project that has taken me over 10 years to build).

Whether or not a suitable platform for the actual forum I am quite certain it would be a very suitable platform for at least prototyping it.

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 04:23:36 AM

Who ever ends up winning this thing should go with a facebook messaging system, where your PMs are always in conversation format i dunno how many times ive replied to people or recieved replies from people not knowing wtf we are talk ing about all becuase they didnt quote my last message im sure im not the only with this problem.
skilo

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 10:20:54 PM

Just drop $200 on the vbulletin software, Its the best and most feature filled of all the BB software.

Vbulletin is exspensive but its worth it.
zer0

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 10:29:55 PM

Just drop $200 on the vbulletin software, Its the best and most feature filled of all the BB software.

Not anymore, orig devs split to make Xenforo I believe, now they are suing each other out of existence.
Vbulletin 4 is total garbage

Of all the available forum software phpbb has the least amount of bugs reported (only 5 since 2003-2012) but that really doesn't mean anything. Maybe somebody is hording all their phpbb bugs for future exploits

R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2012, 10:32:41 PM

Who ever ends up winning this thing should go with a facebook messaging system, where your PMs are always in conversation format i dunno how many times ive replied to people or recieved replies from people not knowing wtf we are talk ing about all becuase they didnt quote my last message im sure im not the only with this problem.
+1. I suggest you contact Paul Taulborg. He created D2Jsp forums which is easily the most feature packed forum I've encountered.
skilo

View Profile
April 17, 2012, 02:30:48 AM

Not anymore, orig devs split to make Xenforo I believe, now they are suing each other out of existence.
Vbulletin 4 is total garbage

Of all the available forum software phpbb has the least amount of bugs reported (only 5 since 2003-2012) but that really doesn't mean anything. Maybe somebody is hording all their phpbb bugs for future exploits

Xenforo looks nice, I just tried the demo of it, Looks pretty sleek.

Phpbb is decent but i have found its admin cp to be a bit of a cluster fCK, Also its templates are ugly same with mybb, ugly ugly ugly.

Unless you want to pay someone to professionally design you a template and make it look nice but i had rather spend money on a forum with good tech support.

Opensource forums are good but they lack good tech support and usually (at least i find) ugly templates.

IMHO.
xyu

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 03:46:56 PM

So, what is a status of this? Are bids still accepted?
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2012, 04:33:54 PM

So, what is a status of this? Are bids still accepted?
My partner and I are still working on this.  Forums are way more complex than we originally thought, but it is coming along.  He has been busy with his "real" job though and hasn't had as much time as we had hoped.  Once we get the user system finished, I'll show off what we have and put a real bid in.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 18, 2012, 09:19:21 PM

So, what is a status of this?

If there is wisdom in the crowd, then see:
 - http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=179

(hint: These prediction markets work in this manner -- if someone "knows something" better than the rest ... then generally the odds will change as wagers from those with access to that information are made.  Currently these odds are about 30:1 that there won't be new  software running by Jan 1st.)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

zer0

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 19, 2012, 01:04:16 AM

+1. I suggest you contact Paul Taulborg. He created D2Jsp forums which is easily the most feature packed forum I've encountered.

+1 vote for approaching the D2Jsp guy and buying/renting his software. He specifically designed it for online trading between users have to say it's the best out there, and fast.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: