Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:33:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Elon Musk have been wrong about AI?  (Read 388 times)
JealousCup (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 14, 2018, 09:59:01 PM

Recently, Kai-Fu Lee, Sinovation Ventures chief executive officer stated that Elon Musk is wrong about a potential AI danger, and to be truthful,  I want to agree with him because… isn't Elon working on the development of cognitive technologies as well?
Seems to me like Musk is a hypocrite...
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3076

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2018, 10:10:00 PM

Recently, Kai-Fu Lee, Sinovation Ventures chief executive officer stated that Elon Musk is wrong about a potential AI danger, and to be truthful,  I want to agree with him because… isn't Elon working on the development of cognitive technologies as well?

I don't think AI will ever cause a problem for humanity - because humanity won't be around.  :/

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Sherwood_Archer

Activity: 126
Merit: 3

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 12:47:45 AM

Could you provide some links that we could read so that we can have more context about the topic that you are talking about?
niko337

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 03:39:43 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2018, 09:24:35 AM by niko337

AI... if used properly, it can definitely benefit people. However, in every generation, all good things invented that benefitted the world. But still there are people who will use the good thing for evil intent.

Take for example, a plane. It is used to carry people quick and effectively. However there is also danger of turbulence and accidents. Worse still, people with evil intent use it to crash into buildings.
Nevertheless plane companies take every measure to improve on their products.

Same thing shld apply to AI. It has to be constantly be improved to serve better. No doubt there will always be evil people who may want to use AI otherwise.
Cloudy

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 03:47:58 AM

Don't you think its too early to think about Skynet, Cyberdyne and Rise of the Machines? First let it make just one its own decision, and then we will see, what should we do )))
HighlanderToken
Copper Member

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2018, 03:55:57 AM

AI can make potential mistakes we already know that, in that persepective alone harm could be done. Its our code that first creates AI, programming error's have killed before. An old example is Therac-25.

maxou8524

Activity: 60

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 04:21:21 AM

Can you provide more details to their history that's linked to a website.
Lintormi

Activity: 560
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 07:59:18 AM

If it is properly used then it will benefit. It is only in the movies there is such nonsense. And at the expense of Elon Musk, I think that everyone can be wrong and he, including
orange_marmalade

Activity: 82

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 08:47:05 AM

Unlike the cognitive abilities of a human being with emotion being a factor in our decision making, AI would not have that same decision making factor therefore the AI would act logically in any situation regardless of remorse, but I hope the coding would make it not resort to violence and lethality. 
thirsten

Merit: 2

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 11:14:58 AM

Yes he's developing the Neuralink but with new technologies come new risks and potential for the immoral to take advantage.

Ultimately, I think it will solve more problems for people than it will create. Technology always does..But nothing is free of risk, unfortunately.

There are ways to mitigate the risk (mostly referring to ability to be controlled/data security) in the coming age of living predominantly virtual lives.
Zayn_Nazy

Activity: 47

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 01:53:31 PM

I think he is trying to call people against developing AI from other companies so he can do it alone.  Grin
CristianOff

Activity: 421
Merit: 97

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 02:12:06 PM

So much hate here. You guys are either very jealous or have nothing else to do. What Elon Musk said about AI is his personal perception. He NEVER said that AI is bad for humanity but rather dangerous because of its risks.

Imagine the world run by the AI. What if AI would affect the dissemination of information? It becomes information manipulation and I'm sure you are going to trust the AI. Why trusting? Because you assume it's never wrong.

In case of a war, what do you think about autonomous panzers or autonomous terrorism? Is that not very risky? The current terrorism is simple: you send a Kamikaze and that's it. With artificial intelligence, you send your robot kamikaze and it never stops until someone does it. Who can stop it? Superman? Spiderman? It will be Elon Musk for sure  Grin

Not my quote but I modified it a little so here what I have: "The AI is programmed to do something beneficial, but if it develops a destructive method for achieving its goal, you are devastated. "

I am currently in university and my knowledge and skills allow me to understand the science behind artificial intelligence. This means that I could develop an AI which writes my paper/assignment/coursework/PHD based on previous papers/assignments/coursework/PHDs. Would that be beneficial? It would definitely help me save hundreds of hours but obviously it is against the humanity.
raatnak

Activity: 185

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 03:27:59 PM

You just pointed out yourself that Elon has some experience in this sphere. So unfortunately, he probably isn`t wrong about AI.
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 10:12:00 PM

You just pointed out yourself that Elon has some experience in this sphere. So unfortunately, he probably isn`t wrong about AI.

I did but it would be common sense for someone who's advocating against the technology not to develop it for financial gains. If AI was really that bad, don't you think that Musk would have kept away from it? To tell the truth, I think it was a ruse to discourage his competitors.
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 10:18:28 PM

Could you provide some links that we could read so that we can have more context about the topic that you are talking about?

There you go pal: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-10-22/kai-fu-lee-says-elon-musk-wrong-about-ai-danger-video.
And needless to say that Musk has been an open critic of AI development, yet his Neuralink project is moving forward. Is AI really that bad or is the guy confused?
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2018, 10:30:50 PM

So much hate here. You guys are either very jealous or have nothing else to do. What Elon Musk said about AI is his personal perception. He NEVER said that AI is bad for humanity but rather dangerous because of its risks.

Imagine the world run by the AI. What if AI would affect the dissemination of information? It becomes information manipulation and I'm sure you are going to trust the AI. Why trusting? Because you assume it's never wrong.

I'll tell you that nobody is hating on Musk but he must be consistent with his thoughts. AI can either be good or bad. Many keep complaining that it might be a tool to spy on people yet the technology is developing at a very fast rate. So which one is it?
joker6756

Activity: 32

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 03:49:33 PM

He could. But my guess would be that he is most likely right about it since he has some work in this sphere. We`ll see.
gaslyant

Activity: 114

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 03:55:43 PM

He is not against working on it, he says we should set up the rules before something dangerous happens rather than waiting for it.
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 11:08:29 PM

Unlike the cognitive abilities of a human being with emotion being a factor in our decision making, AI would not have that same decision making factor therefore the AI would act logically in any situation regardless of remorse, but I hope the coding would make it not resort to violence and lethality. 

Are you thinking about Ultron? Because, if we create our AIs according to our characteristics, then how to predict what might happen once they become fully autonomous?
JealousCup (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2018, 11:22:19 PM

He could. But my guess would be that he is most likely right about it since he has some work in this sphere. We`ll see.

Yes... Makes total sense. Warns others about the dangers of cognitive technologies, yet exploits it for his own financial gain... Isn't it a ruse to discourage his competitors?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: