Bitcoin Forum
August 07, 2024, 03:24:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 161 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][MZC][SHA-256] MAZACOIN *First Sovereign Currency* ANDROID WALLET AVAIL.!!  (Read 278352 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
owlhooter

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 03:35:45 AM

Are you guys planning to do somthing to address the orphan issue?

Multipool.us seems to be the only pool that I've seen having so many orphans.  How are the connections into the network?  I'm not seeing the blocks claimed as orphans hitting the network as a fork so seems they are hitting the network delayed behind the block that was accepted.  But with profit switching pools coming on and off when difficulty changes I'm not surprised that there could be more orphans during the low difficulty periods when large amounts of hashrate move onto the network.
GoogleBit

Activity: 213
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 12:45:25 PM

Have a look at the 3 month chart of MAZA, and then tell me it's not a big buy signal!
PeterTheGrape

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 01:24:56 AM

Mixed feelings about the huge wallet on Cryptopia.
While it is great that someone is accumulating coins, if that person is not willing to get involved with moving the coin forward such as funding development or marketing efforts, then it's less likely that other people will help for free. Since they would essentially be working for free for the big holder moreso than for themselves or the greater community. AFAIK, most of the people actively doing work are not Maza whales and would have a small fraction of what this whale has

That wallet has 85 million mzc now.

There are two very different competing interests.

a) There are investors, speculators, who want to make money selling the coins later. Most mzc are in the hands of speculators.

b) There are some Natives trying to solve issues by developing their own economy.

I do not want to start a shitstorm abut badmouthing a coin or whatever but there is a very big difference between the economy of a tribe that controls its currency and another that does not control its currency.

There just is no way to justify promoting a Native economy around a coin that is not controlled by Natives. Who can argue against that? I gave a substantial amount of my mzc to help cover the premine and have given some to various people. It won't be Natives who benefit from that, it will be whoever owns 85,000,000 mzc.

Many solutions, but maybe mzc should be used as a reserve or side currency to support more authentic Native currencies.

There is nothing wrong with ambition and greed, in its place, but if a person is actually interested in helping Natives develop a healthy economy then the problems with mzc should be addressed directly. The whale can buy up all the coins and drive them to the moon, and he or she will make a fortune, which is fine but has nothing to do with helping the Sioux nor any other tribes.
spiralus

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 12:51:03 AM

There just is no way to justify promoting a Native economy around a coin that is not controlled by Natives. Who can argue against that? I gave a substantial amount of my mzc to help cover the premine and have given some to various people. It won't be Natives who benefit from that, it will be whoever owns 85,000,000 mzc.

Due to the pseudo-anonymity of the coin, how can we tell who really controls it? This is part of the issue in my opinion.
It could also be a tribe member who wants to remain secret that own either those 85 M or the ~8% at the top address.

But I also agree that control is important since it is somewhat the whole purpose of the coin, otherwise tribes could just use Bitcoin.
Apart from ownership, any minority hash coin also has the possibility of being attacked by miners. So I'd like to hear of possible solutions to both of these issues.

thorRJ

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 01:01:55 AM

Admin must change the initial topic to the relation of the accepted exchanges, since I tried to locate this coin in poloniex, but it seems that it was deslisted

OI
PeterTheGrape

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 05:26:31 AM

Due to the pseudo-anonymity of the coin, how can we tell who really controls it? This is part of the issue in my opinion.
It could also be a tribe member who wants to remain secret that own either those 85 M or the ~8% at the top address.

But I also agree that control is important since it is somewhat the whole purpose of the coin, otherwise tribes could just use Bitcoin.
Apart from ownership, any minority hash coin also has the possibility of being attacked by miners. So I'd like to hear of possible solutions to both of these issues.

Most people who own Mazacoin are supporters of Native interests but are trying to make a profit from that, which is fine as long as they see that.

For a coin to be genuinely helpful to a tribe it must be distributed to that tribe primarily, and new coins should arrive mostly to members of the tribe.

A solution previously mentioned is to have proof of stake coins that have a balance that cannot be spent, but can generate interest. The only coins that would leave the economy initially are coins spent by buying from outsiders or coins sent to an outside exchange for trading to other coins.

One of the big issues facing some tribes is decline in speakers of their language, which ultimately forces assimilation and the death of the culture. Coins made by tribal groups and distributed only to speakers of their language would do more to maintain local culture than any of the so called emergency measures done by politicians for example https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/03/22/Alaska-lawmakers-declare-linguistic-emergency-to-save-states-native-languages/3881521774312/

Mazacoin could have a significant place outside local tribal economies, as a separate reserve currency or something else. But anybody who promotes it as a tribal currency is making a mistake.

I am not Native, but I do follow enough issues to know that soon it will be strongly in everybody's interests for Natives to have their own currencies which they control. The United States dollar is like a Halloween turd with a firecracker in it. When it explodes there have to be other currencies available. For a lot of complicated reasons it is in the best interests of everybody, including non Natives like myself, to have a strong economy centered in Native interests and not derived from the U.S.
johntradez

Activity: 161
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 01:31:56 PM

also the BIG NEWS, the Great Sioux Nation have adopted Mazacoin as their currency, they are applying for recognition from U.N as well and this may help
video here
again, bad quality sound etc, but was done on fly on reservation
no pretty graphics and vaporware for the icomonsters I'm afraid  Grin just a decentralised sovereign cryptocurrency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXRrKgQZpOA

HUGE news but don't expect to see it on cointelegraph or coindesk, the centralised cryptomedia

Vice are looking to run an article though

again join the telegram channel
no pumpers/dumpers . just news, development, ideas, discussion, friendships

we like you to help MAKE the news

coders, designers, graphic artists, crypto journalists especially welcome
https://web.telegram.org/#/im?p=@mazatribe

remember Native American people are not braggards, they are always understated and thoughtful people so don't even post here or twitter really about developments so i'm updating people

One video is not enough evidence to do anything legitimate for this coin. Where did you get your info about Vice? Maza markets itself as "a cryptocurrency network for all sovereign tribes" but it is decentralized and the price can be manipulated by anyone. Especially by a whale with nearly 10% of the circulating coins and a market that is extremely illiquid.

This is an old PoW coin with a long history which is good to see. Having an Android wallet is a cool feature that many older, low marketcap coins do not have. The high number of Github commits by many different contributors might make it seem like there is a strong community but that is because it was forked from Bitcoin. Overall, there is nothing that makes Maza stand out other than its claim as a crypto for tribes and I can't see much value in that.
PeterTheGrape

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 03:35:47 PM

One video is not enough evidence to do anything legitimate for this coin. Where did you get your info about Vice? Maza markets itself as "a cryptocurrency network for all sovereign tribes" but it is decentralized and the price can be manipulated by anyone. Especially by a whale with nearly 10% of the circulating coins and a market that is extremely illiquid.

This is an old PoW coin with a long history which is good to see. Having an Android wallet is a cool feature that many older, low marketcap coins do not have. The high number of Github commits by many different contributors might make it seem like there is a strong community but that is because it was forked from Bitcoin. Overall, there is nothing that makes Maza stand out other than its claim as a crypto for tribes and I can't see much value in that.

If Maza focused on helping tribes establish and secure their own currencies then it would be a useful coin supporting Native interests.

~

It used to be that humanity benefited from "melting pots" where cultures were forced to assimilate and be destroyed. That allowed a lot of global development etc.

Now we are moving in the other direction and isolated groups that have developed their own traditions must be left to survive independently.

Mazacoin has a good concept, a Native economy, but too many of its supporters are distracted by profit, speculation. Some people need to decide whether Maza should be a coin for short term profits or a coin whose goal is to support more authentic local Indigenous economies.
johntradez

Activity: 161
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 11:22:31 PM

If Maza focused on helping tribes establish and secure their own currencies then it would be a useful coin supporting Native interests.

~

It used to be that humanity benefited from "melting pots" where cultures were forced to assimilate and be destroyed. That allowed a lot of global development etc.

Now we are moving in the other direction and isolated groups that have developed their own traditions must be left to survive independently.

Mazacoin has a good concept, a Native economy, but too many of its supporters are distracted by profit, speculation. Some people need to decide whether Maza should be a coin for short term profits or a coin whose goal is to support more authentic local Indigenous economies.

I agree that if it does what it claims then it would be useful. My point is that it seems the same as any PoW coin with a long history. It is only using the tribe coin story to boost price without any evidence of adoption by tribes.
adamantasaurus

Activity: 700
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 07:58:11 AM

I just bought some of these coins because i like what it is all about but after reading this thread im worried just like the above poster that it may not be used for what it is intended for just quick profits. I have hope and belief that the disenfranchised will become the leaders of the earth one day and i believe cryptocurrency can aid in paving that road, but that is simply a belief and i keep my eyes and ears open always looking for what is coming on the horizon.

With that said i wish good luck and blessings to this coin and what the creators hope to accomplish that would be an amazing tale Smiley
spiralus

View Profile
March 31, 2018, 03:44:38 PM

I agree that if it does what it claims then it would be useful. My point is that it seems the same as any PoW coin with a long history. It is only using the tribe coin story to boost price without any evidence of adoption by tribes.

It's really hard to "kill" a coin, but there are dead coins worth way more than Maza is, so saying that the story is used to boost price is a little ironic. Adoption may not be widespread but it takes time and there is real involvement.
PeterTheGrape

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 09:07:09 PM

It's really hard to "kill" a coin, but there are dead coins worth way more than Maza is, so saying that the story is used to boost price is a little ironic. Adoption may not be widespread but it takes time and there is real involvement.

Maza has a lot going for it, but the focus needs to shift from "mazacoin as currency for many tribes" to "each tribe has its own currency and mazacoin helps those economies develop".

The best model is probably a currency for each tribe, distributed initially only to fluent speakers from those tribes, with a secondary, much smaller distribution, to tribal members who don't speak the language.

There is a lot of politics and profiteering everywhere, including amongst tribes, so nobody should jump on any  bandwagon without examining things first.
spiralus

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 12:39:10 AM

Maza has a lot going for it, but the focus needs to shift from "mazacoin as currency for many tribes" to "each tribe has its own currency and mazacoin helps those economies develop".

The best model is probably a currency for each tribe, distributed initially only to fluent speakers from those tribes, with a secondary, much smaller distribution, to tribal members who don't speak the language.

There is a lot of politics and profiteering everywhere, including amongst tribes, so nobody should jump on any  bandwagon without examining things first.

I can't agree about a currency for each tribe since there are too many small tribes in the USA and each one would need to have a minimum size in the 1000s or 10000s for it to be worthwhile (IMO). But I also see that that would give better ownership and incentives compared to only 1 coin for all tribes. In some ways Maza has the same problem Bitcoin originally had - which was bootstrapping itself with enough people that were willing to spend time and effort on it and invest money in it too. I'm not seeing that coming from American Indians or other indigenous tribes at the moment. If I did, I'd be willing to help them develop the technology
zhouyc

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 11:27:36 AM

Interesting item, I am very excited about this coin, and I want to do some research to understand this project.
PeterTheGrape

View Profile
April 07, 2018, 08:42:31 PM

Mazacoin is from the Dakotas afaik. Here is a guy from that general area who linguists consider the last speaker of his language.

TWIN BUTTES — Edwin Benson is making his journey to the spirit world and, if his prayers are answered, he will finally be in the company of others who can speak to him in a language nearly lost on Earth.

Benson, of Twin Buttes on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation, died Friday at the age of 85. He was the last living soul who could fluently speak Mandan and his death brings the possible extinction of a language that expressed the unique experiences and perceptions of a once-thriving tribe of Plains Indians.

A wake was held at Twin Buttes Monday, a night of frigid cold outside, where the tradition of honoring the deceased with beautiful star quilts and woolen blankets was warm in remembrance.

The solitary coffin at the front of the hall — bedecked with elaborate headdresses and flower arrangements — held so much more than the mortal remains of a man. It contained all the diversity that a language adds to the world and for that, most especially, Three Affiliated Tribes Councilman Cory Spotted Bear came to express his regrets at Benson’s passing.

“The world we live in becomes less. The language is the way the Mandan see the world,” Spotted Bear said.

Spotted Bear has been behind efforts to preserve Nu’eta, the proper word for Mandan, not only through his earlier work with Benson and personal graduate work in linguistics, but through a two-year, $1 million project funded by the tribe to document and collate all known records of the language.

Many of those were made by Benson himself, who for decades has worked with various linguists and others to document what everyone knew was a dying language. One by one, those few Mandan — maybe 150, according to historians — who survived 1830s smallpox epidemics eventually died and their even fewer Mandan-speaking children died, too.

“He never asked to be the teacher of the language; he was more called to be. He was a simple rancher at heart,” Spotted Bear said.

Even with the money invested in documenting the language, it’s possible there may never be another fluent speaker, according to Spotted Bear. “I believe that race is social. For our kids’ and for the sake of future generations, we’ve worked hard to revitalize the language and here in Twin Buttes, we have the most extensive collection of the Mandan language and old-time recordings in the world.”

Benson’s daughter, Heidi Hernandez, said, in the end, her dad’s final effort to give so much of himself and his knowledge was becoming too much.

“He said he’d done enough now and he was tired,” she said. “This language which made Dad so well-known across the world, I’m afraid it’s extinct.”

Benson’s friend and tribal historian Marilyn Hudson recalls him telling her that the distinction was its own burden.

“He said it was lonely to be the only one,” Hudson said.

None of Benson’s daughters learned Mandan, or Nu’eta, growing up with a mother who spoke Lakota and a father who could speak Mandan and Hidatsa.

“They didn’t want to confuse us, so they just spoke English,” Hernandez said.

Art Smith, a tribal elder and senior pallbearer, said Benson was an important man who helped many in his community.

“I honor him. He was a language teacher and a doctor,” he said, referring to the honorary doctorate conferred to Benson in 2009 by the University of North Dakota.

Beyond the fact that Mandan speakers were the most decimated by smallpox among the three affiliated tribes of the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara, Smith said the early, white-influenced education of Native American children was brutal.

“I saw some kids get beat so hard they couldn’t get up because they talked their language in school,” Smith said.

Indrek Park, a linguistics researcher with Indiana University’s American Indian Studies Research Institute, is part of a university team that had worked for more than two years with Benson to preserve the language up until a month before he died.

Park said beyond being the last Native speaker, Benson was a living anachronism, a 19th century man living in the 21st century.

“His mother died when he was 1 year’s old and he was brought up mostly by his grandfather, Ben Benson, who was among those who were born in an earth lodge and hunted the buffalo. Had his mother lived, his language would have been Hidatsa,” Park said. “Usually, behind every last speaker of a language is a personal tragedy. He was always lonesome. He lived with sadness.”

Park said he had previously compiled a 2,000-page dictionary of Hidatsa words and grammar and he’ll continue to pull together 100 years’ worth of various writings and recordings of Nu’eta, including Benson’s many contributions.

“The work is not nearly over, but now, there’s no one to consult with,” he said. “There are a few left who still understand a recording and could translate, but they could not form their own sentences. He was the last.”

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/last-mandan-speaker-occupied-lonely-place/article_e9d710a5-6ca0-5690-b1ba-756948292b4a.html

There are people who say the language is not dead and try to teach it, but they are not fluent speakers of the original language https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Benson  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_last_known_speakers_of_languages

The dollar had the effect of extincting languages by design. The purpose of forcing somebody to use another groups currency is to force them to use the language as well.

Unlike "the united states", Natives are not a homogenous blob, and shouldn't follow in the melting pot steps of the larger blob that has been conquering them.

A currency for every language 40 years ago would have kept that language alive, at least a bit longer. It may be rude to say, but if a person's only language is united states english then that eventually will be their only culture too. Mazacoin has a good intent but intention has to be led by common sense.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/09/20/scientists-race-around-world-to-save-dying-languages.html

Five hotspots where languages are most endangered were listed Tuesday in a briefing by the Living Tongues Institute for Endangered Languages and the National Geographic Society.

In addition to northern Australia, eastern Siberia and Oklahoma and the U.S. Southwest, many native languages are endangered in South America — Ecuador, Colombia, Peru, Brazil and Bolivia — as well as the area including British Columbia, and the states of Washington and Oregon.

Losing languages means losing knowledge, says K. David Harrison, an assistant professor of linguistics at Swarthmore College.

"When we lose a language, we lose centuries of human thinking about time, seasons, sea creatures, reindeer, edible flowers, mathematics, landscapes, myths, music, the unknown and the everyday."
NickCrypto

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 06:49:58 AM

Check out MazaCoin chart at BitScreener
https://bitscreener.com/coins/mazacoin

jetcrypto

Activity: 82

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2018, 08:24:48 AM

Dear Mazacoin community!
We are happy to announce MazaCoin support in our Trovemat (Crypto ATM).
https://i.imgur.com/MyfeUCT.jpg
Congratulations to MazaCoin team!!!
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 04:19:17 PM

MAZAcoin @ 14 satoshis :-D weeeee

===>

https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Exchange/?market=MZC_BTC

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
baldricjohn

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 12:23:58 PM

no point of sale for merchants

they are looking at cards that are loaded with mzc
booboom465

Activity: 92

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 11:00:32 PM

Well I emailed Payu asking about how he plans to get the coin back to a meaningful value.  As it stands, this project would fail since the premine would be worthless so he needs to figure out how to get the value back up before administering it.  Otherwise, a lot of Lakota will have $10 in Maza and that's it!
Pages: « 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 161 »
  Print  

Jump to: