Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:22:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you know if the account is sold or not after it was advertised for sale?  (Read 685 times)
Findingnemo

Activity: 2324
Merit: 758

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 05:18:58 PM

What you describe is indeed blackmail.
"If you do/don't do <thing>, I will <stuff>" is the blackmail formula.
I'm not an expert on blackmail, but I'm pretty sure the above in certain contexts could be considered a warning instead of blackmail.  If a police officer tells you to stop speeding, or else you're going to suffer the consequences, that's a warning.  He isn't looking to get something out of the transaction personally--and I think that's a key component of blackmail/extortion.

If someone sends a PM to a member on bitcointalk stating that if they don't stop spamming in a thread that they're going to get reported/negged, I would see that more as a chance to correct behavior before the offending party suffers some consequences.  It isn't threatening to expose someone in exchange for money/favors/whatever, which is usually what blackmail is.
But what will happen the receiver of those warning PM report it to admin?

I am afraid to send PM to anyone even when found spamming because I saw that this can leads to temporary ban for PM spamming.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
View ArchiveReport to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 07:01:08 PM
Merited by bones261 (1)

What you describe is indeed blackmail.
"If you do/don't do <thing>, I will <stuff>" is the blackmail formula.
I'm not an expert on blackmail, but I'm pretty sure the above in certain contexts could be considered a warning instead of blackmail.  If a police officer tells you to stop speeding, or else you're going to suffer the consequences, that's a warning.  He isn't looking to get something out of the transaction personally--and I think that's a key component of blackmail/extortion.

If someone sends a PM to a member on bitcointalk stating that if they don't stop spamming in a thread that they're going to get reported/negged, I would see that more as a chance to correct behavior before the offending party suffers some consequences.  It isn't threatening to expose someone in exchange for money/favors/whatever, which is usually what blackmail is.
blackmail is when you are asking for something, usually money, that they do not have a legitimate claim to/that they are not entitled to.

For example:
Asking someone to pay a valid debt owed and saying nonpayment will result in a lawsuit for the debt is not extortion.

Asking someone to pay $5000 when there is no financial relationship (purchased or otherwise), or else they will call the police on them is extortion because they don’t have any claim to the $5000

You can read this for more information about extortion.
bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 07:34:57 PM

Asking someone to pay a valid debt owed and saying nonpayment will result in a lawsuit for the debt is not extortion.

Yes, if such an act was considered blackmail aka extortion, I would have been jailed long ago. However, I'm sure that many of the debtors that I have dealt with over the years probably think that I ought to be in jail for living up to my promise when they did not pay. Cheesy
Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
March 25, 2019, 07:37:17 PM

Probably in such case the style and quality of comments will change and it may be a sign that the profile has a new user.
cryptohunter (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
March 29, 2019, 11:13:03 AM

Probably in such case the style and quality of comments will change and it may be a sign that the profile has a new user.

I agree this is one of the thing that could certainly indicate a change of ownership but alone may not be conclusive proof either way.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: