Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:08:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Lone Shark/ ChiBitCTy/ Limx Dev/ Am I unban material (The honeymoon )?? SORTED  (Read 734 times)
William8062 (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 01:58:50 AM
Last edit: May 23, 2019, 12:05:00 AM by William8062
Merited by Quickseller (1)

Edit 23/05/2019 :

Locking the thread
Many thanks.
Bounty cancelled.

Dear BitcoinTalk community,
In the light of the recent change of Ban policy by Theymos :

There's been no policy change. redsn0w wasn't permanently banned due to several factors which made me think that permabanning him would be a net negative for the forum. Nobody is banned strictly because of "the rules"; it's always handled case-by-case, but almost always, plagiarists deserve to be permabanned.

If you think that a ban should be ended, make your case in a new topic from a "good for the forum as a whole" perspective.

I would like to come in front of you to reconsider my case.

Which account I am talking about :
guigui371 : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=207818
A.K.A the "honeymoon guy"  Copyright Suchmoon

When was I banned ?
-> I was banned in October 2018

Read the full story here :  My Legendary account has been banned - I accept my punishment, now what ?

Why was I banned ?
-> I copied, and pasted a message, once in June 2018

Why did you do it ?
-> I didn't have a signature at that time, I needed to make a post to partake into an airdrop, I was in a hurry,  I cheated.
(you can read more in this thread that i locked : My Legendary account has been banned - I accept my punishment, now what ? )
What is done is done I can't undo it. I thought that transforming and improving an existing post was ok, turns out it is still plagiarism.

Many things have been proposed as an alternative to permaban.
When I am writing this message only 24% of people want to see permaban to stay permaban.
76% are ok to give a second chance with some kind of counterparty (mainly no more signature). The panel is 136 voters.

I repeatedly said that I would not oppose a permanent sig ban forever (like, no appeal ever !).

Theymos put some kind of frame on how to appeal a permaban : to prove that are "positive" for the forum.
I am not really very established  member in the Meta / English part of the Forum.
And to be fair, even in the French board I was very involved in 2014 /2015/2016 but not that much in 2017 and 2018.

However I have dug in my past to find posts that show that I am somehow more a "positive" than a "negative" for the forum.
Here are my arguments :

1) I am a nice guy !

*) I made a newly wed Australian cry
This is who I am, a very nice and generous soul. When i can help I do. I saw someone that needed help, lent money without any counterparty and without any interest

*) back in 2014 I wrote a french topic about VanityGen, way before it became cool.

*) warning people that BTC forks like BTC Diamond and others are somehow risky as you have to expose your private key to get them. That user was asking how to extract the seed of his ledger to claim the BTC diamond

2) I am not a signature spammer
I have only posted 37 messages in 2018 (well, only 8 months of posting).
I have posted about 240 messages in 2017
And a grand total of about 900 messages for 2016/2015/2014

3) I have checked, I didn't plagiarize any other message.
So I spent the time, I have read through all my messages from 2018/2017/2016 and 2015 (i stopped searching past jan2015) and couldn't find any posts that even remotedly look plagiarized.
As a matter of Fact I'll give $200usd to whoever can find a plagiarised message in that time frame (2018/2017/2015) Yogg has agreed to be Escrow, i'll fund him shortly (24h/48h).
The French moderator Halab volunteer to be the referee in the event of a post being brought forward as plagiarised.
As this has been the case in my previous thread (locked) about messages that were not plagiarised, just poorly written (like this example brought by Xal0lex , and explained as not plagiarized by Vit05)

4) I promise I will be a good member
Well this is hard to prove, however I only need to convince one of two persones : Theymos or hilariousandco

Message to Theymos with his PGP key :
Code:
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: BCPG C# v1.6.1.0
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=V898
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

I couldn't find hilariousandco's pgp key, maybe you can ask Theymos what i wrote or if you send me your pgp i'll send you the same information.

5) People seems to be keen to give second chance, let me prove you I am worthy.
Let me quote below messages from my previous topic that show that some members are not totally against giving me a second chance.

Second chances can be given and you can argue that the punishment is harsh, but at the moment the rules are pretty clear that if you're caught plagiarising then it's a permaban. Once we start making exceptions for people it just opens up a huge can of worms and then everyone else who's had a ban will come out of the woodwork and complain it's not fair to them and people who are banned in the future will use this case as an example why they should be given another chance.

PM theymos or cyrus and make your case to them and maybe they will remove it. I'm not against second chances but there needs to be some consistency so it's fair to all. Hopefully signature bans could be issued in cases like this instead and people can keep their accounts, but at the moment I just wish people would stop plagiarising content so these bans aren't even needed in the first place and it's truly a sad state of affairs that they are.
I said that I would be okey for a signature ban.

--
You could argue that Legendaries should know better. I think if we allow them a free pass on certain things then lower-ranked users would then complain that they're being unfairly punished. I think the only exception I'd be ok with is if they had their signature removed/banned and they lose their ability to earn via it here. We could maybe look at just letting the community handle copy and pasters with negative feedback like like we do with scams, but sadly most ICO campaigns don't care about negative feedback and they'd still be able to get away with this behaviour which isn't ok.

You could argue that Legendaries should know better. I think if we allow them a free pass on certain things then lower-ranked users would then complain that they're being unfairly punished. I think the only exception I'd be ok with is if they had their signature removed/banned and they lose their ability to earn via it here.
This. Take their signatures and avatars away and see how many of them are actually dedicated to the forum with no financial incentive. I'd guess this would be equivalent to permaban for 90% of them.

We could make a criteria 1 copy and paste per 1000 good posts. Applied to all.

This is unenforceable. Nobody in their right mind is going to spend time checking 1000 posts of some asshole to make sure they have only 1 plagiarised post.
I am ok to be stripped out of my signature (forever), I have offered money for people to review my account (it is a one off bounty if they are successful).

--

You could remove their signatures until they've earned x amount of merit. Say, if you're spotted copy and pasting then your signature is removed until you've earned 100 merit or so. I did suggest previously that users have their signature banned until they've shown that they can contribute something here, but since merit has been implemented maybe that would be a good indicator of how much they're actually contributing and it gives them a chance to atone for their sins and get their signature back providing they've contributed something here in the meantime.

I'd guess this would be equivalent to permaban for 90% of them.

Yeah, many would probably just give up. My only issue with this though is I reckon most of them will just hang around like a bad smell trolling and complaining about how unfair it is.

This is also a good idea and I would love to be offered this deal.

--

Although I would expect a bot could easily be coded to run their entire post history against google for matches.

Much harder than it sounds.

They could pay for this if they want to not get banned or pay for manual review. I dont expect most would mind paying 0.1 btc for review and keeping their account.

I still disagree with the premise that 1 in 1000 is ok, but if such criteria were implemented then yes, demanding a payment could be a good way to do it. Not going to happen though.

I mean we are talking 1 in 1000 posts. Not real ico pump teams and scammers fucking the board up.

The likelihood of someone plagiarizing only 1 in 1000 AND GETTING CAUGHT is so extremely low that it's just not worth debating. There are many more spamming issues that this forum is facing. The "1 in 1000" offences can be handled by theymos through the usual appeal process.
I have started a bounty, $200 to find a plagiarised for from me from 2018/2017/2016/2015 I will fund it soon.

Conclusion :

If I was given a second chance I'll prove you all that what I did was a silly mistake and that I can be a quality member.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 03:19:42 AM

I do think a permanent ban for a single instance of plagiarism from a legendary person is a bit harsh. Especially considering the person isn’t reasonably a signature spammer. The underlying reason seems to be financial though.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2019, 03:24:43 AM

As a matter of Fact I'll give $200usd to whoever can find a plagiarised message in that time frame (2018/2017/2015) Yogg has agreed to be Escrow, i'll fund him shortly (24h/48h).

What a stupid comment.

No one is going to wait - they will search now, nothing will be found, you won't fund the escrow... but then you'll claim you offered $200 when you really didn't...

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
yogg
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 3158

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2019, 03:33:31 AM

What a stupid comment.

No one is going to wait - they will search now, nothing will be found, you won't fund the escrow... but then you'll claim you offered $200 when you really didn't...

For what it's good for, I can escrow that amount and will release the bounty as said ; "to whoever can find a plagiarised message in that time frame (2018/2017/2015)" involving the banned account.
If you accept, William8062, please send the bounty to my escrow address labeled BTC2 in my escrow thread :

BTC2 : 31p4TPyq3WadF9umDKURZR35aMQTaBbKaZ

However, please bear in mind that I will be hardly available before next sunday to release the bounty (travelling)
William8062 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 03:49:32 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2019, 04:02:18 AM by William8062

What a stupid comment.

Keep your nasty opinion for yourself,
I wrote this message at 2am French time, Yogg was very likely in bed.
I needed time to get the BTC address from him.
Then in my local time it was 2pm, I need to go home to do the transfer.
Also the memepool is full so the tx are not done in a timely manner.  

Now, that Yogg has answered, I Have funded the address (well, the Tx has been initiated, now it is all about confirmation).

What a stupid comment.

For what it's good for, I can escrow that amount and will release the bounty as said ; "to whoever can find a plagiarised message in that time frame (2018/2017/2015)" involving the banned account.
If you accept, William8062, please send the bounty to my escrow address labeled BTC2 in my escrow thread :

BTC2 : 31p4TPyq3WadF9umDKURZR35aMQTaBbKaZ

However, please bear in mind that I will be hardly available before next sunday to release the bounty (travelling)

Thanks Yogg,
I have funded the address with 0.04BTC
Funds are coming from Binance, the Tx is still "processing" and should be visible soon.  

Since you are french, and in the even of someone finding something they claim is plagiarism, I kindly ask that you get Halab's (french modo / staff) opinion before releasing the funds.

Thanks

Edit :
Funds finally showing  : https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/31p4TPyq3WadF9umDKURZR35aMQTaBbKaZ
tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2019, 04:20:29 AM

Nope, the forum should have a fair treatment for all ranks, not only Ledgendary or Hero members.
Before the merit system launched day, you and other members in the forum become Hero or Legendary members from your actitivites (postcounts) and time spent in the forum.
In addition, being a Hero or Legendary member does not mean that you have more contributions to the forum, and / or your post quality is better than users that have lower ranks.
Permanent bans for plagiarisms are always a harsh punishments. I don't know exact the rule is but it most likely that with plagiarism, violators have only one chance.
Only one plagiarism found, and perma ban comes (maybe I am wrong, but I think I am right at this point).
Now, what's the fair treatment if Legendary can say "Oh, I did not read the rule carefully since my first, second weeks or months in the forum, and it happened years ago".

It is the same case for lower users, who maybe did copy and paste (plagiarise) in their early days. By which I meant, something like they copied and pasted specifications of coins, without awareness that they plagiarise with that action. The common thing I saw is it seems that plagiarism tend to occur in early period of forum users, when they don't have enough understandings about the forum rules.
Then, when they got banned, they wont' have chance to return because they are Full Member, or Senior Members. Is it fair for them???
I do think a permanent ban for a single instance of plagiarism from a legendary person is a bit harsh.

I agreed that Hero or Ledgendary members have their long histories in the forum to look back, investigate and find out their contributions in the forum. Faults are faults, they can not deny that. The point is, in my opinion, what we should look back is:
If users plagiarised with stupid faults in its first, second, tenth posts in the forum, or early months in the forum, just for example, we can make further investigation about their purpose of those faults, and their contributions in the forum.
Especially considering the person isn’t reasonably a signature spammer. The underlying reason seems to be financial though.
Now, the next question might occur:
"How about posting bots, that tend to copy and paste from time to time?"
Yes, it is easy because they are bots, they often plagiarise with their templates, so it is easy to find, and they won't have chance to complain about perma bans.

In a nutshell, I don't think that what theymos implied that cases in the forum will be sorted out hands-by-hands are only applied for Ledgendary or Hero because he likely a reasonable guy who have intention to give as fair treatments for all users as possible.
hacker1001101001

Activity: 1288
Merit: 415

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 05:59:06 AM

I think this could be the reason. You have not mentioned a real source:

One of the link mentioned there takes to this thread but nothing similar there:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=450381.0

COPIED:

-snip-

7. You said 20% interest per year, do I have to wait 1 year to get the PoS interest?
No. PoS blocks will be generated after you hold some coins in your wallet for certain period of time. For MintCoin the minimum requirement is 20 days. If you move around the coins (for example send to other wallet and then send back), the time will reset for those moved.

8. The PoS generated coins, are they eligible for new PoS block generations?
Yes. After maturity (50 confirmations), the coins will move from "Stake" to "Balance". Once the PoS generated coins in "balance", they will be the same as all other coins, and are eligible for future PoS generations.

-snip-

-snip-

7. You said 10% interest per year, do I have to wait 1 year to get the PoS interest?
No. PoS blocks will be generated after you hold some coins in your wallet for certain period of time. For bankcoin the minimum requirement is 1 days. If you move around the coins (for example send to other wallet and then send back), the time will reset for those moved.

Yes. After maturity (50 confirmations), the coins will move from "Stake" to "Balance". Once the PoS generated coins in "balance", they will be the same as all other coins, and are eligible for future PoS generations.

-snip-
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 671

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 06:12:58 AM

Even if you aren't part of any signature campaign that time there is no excuse for the plagoarism you have done. A lot of newbies who aren't part of any sig campaigns are permabanned because of plagiarism why should the exempt or have another view towards you? Also if you think about it you still did plagiarism in order for you to earn money in the forum via airdrop which makes no difference in your line of reasoning. I don't know what's the extent of  theymos when he meant "case to case" but I don't think he will be accepting all the appeals he receives in the forum.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 06:18:48 AM

I am not a historian, but it looks like you might have gotten this backwards. I am looking at a 2014 calendar, and May 12 is actually after February 27.

The OP's post appears to actually be the one that was plagiarized.
William8062 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 06:22:20 AM

I think this could be the reason. You have not mentioned a real source:

One of the link mentioned there takes to this thread but nothing similar there:

COPIED:

-snip-

7. You said 20% interest per year, do I have to wait 1 year to get the PoS interest?
No. PoS blocks will be generated after you hold some coins in your wallet for certain period of time. For MintCoin the minimum requirement is 20 days. If you move around the coins (for example send to other wallet and then send back), the time will reset for those moved.

-snip-

-snip-

7. You said 10% interest per year, do I have to wait 1 year to get the PoS interest?
No. PoS blocks will be generated after you hold some coins in your wallet for certain period of time. For bankcoin the minimum requirement is 1 days. If you move around the coins (for example send to other wallet and then send back), the time will reset for those moved.

-snip-

Wow this is a good find.
It was definitly not my intention to plagiarism,
If anything i was answering to a question.
Let me put my message in full.
I will highlight in blue the question asked by a member and in red my answer to it.

Les premier Stake sont tombés hier soir à 21h14 !!!

C'est quoi un "Stake"?

Les interêts sont tombés
Par contre j'ai pas compris les 20J
J'ai 5 millions de Mint sur Mintpal il faut que je les remette dans mon wallet pour toucher les interêts ou pas besoin? Car je les ai envoyé il y a 5 jours sur la plateforme

9. What will be generated total PoW coin number and what will be generated PoS coin number?
After 5 weeks PoW mining, there will be 20 billion PoW coins generation. Afterwards there will be some small number of PoW coins continue to be generated (at 1 coin/block). The PoS generation 1st year is 20%, 2nd year 15%, thrid year 10%, and subsequent years will be 5%. If maximum PoS generated (meaning all coins mined held), then after about 20 years there will be about total 70 billion coins generated in total (for both PoW and PoS), which is the max money allowed. In normal situation where there are coins transferred around, the time max money will be reached will be 30-40 years or more.

10. When I transfer some of the coins from my MINT wallet, are they the newest coins or does it disrupt the proof of stake process of my older coins?
Any "moved" coins the pos time (coin-day) will be reset for them. It will not affect other "unmoved" coins in the wallet. The PoS will be generated if there are some coins in the wallet satisfying minimum requirements, and the amount generated will be based on the coin-day the total eligible coins have in your wallet.

oui il faut 20J dans ton wallet
tu les bouges d'un wallet à l'autre = de nouveau 20j d'attente

Then i did put the source, if anything i forgot to put the english part between " "
But it is pretty obvious that since i am writing something in english quite technical, followed by the link to the official thread then a quick answer in french my intention was to provide info to the person asking and not fooling them in believing that i wrote the content.

This shouldn't be considered plagiarism, at best a mistake made by someone that was only on the forum for a few weeks/ months and eager to help.

Thanks for this finding, it doesn't qualify for the bounty as i limited it to 2018/2017/2016/2015

Thanks
William8062 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 06:24:23 AM

I am not a historian, but it looks like you might have gotten this backwards. I am looking at a 2014 calendar, and May 12 is actually after February 27.

haha good spotting.

But anyway, I definitely didn't write the part in english, I have given an explanation in the message above.
It definitely comes from someone else, but i was not trying to pass it as my own writings.

Even if you aren't part of any signature campaign that time there is no excuse for the plagoarism you have done. A lot of newbies who aren't part of any sig campaigns are permabanned because of plagiarism why should the exempt or have another view towards you? Also if you think about it you still did plagiarism in order for you to earn money in the forum via airdrop which makes no difference in your line of reasoning. I don't know what's the extent of  theymos when he meant "case to case" but I don't think he will be accepting all the appeals he receives in the forum.
Thanks for you opinion, as per the "title" of the thread 2 people have been unbanned in the past 3 weeks.
I'm asking if i can be the 3rd.

hacker1001101001

Activity: 1288
Merit: 415

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 06:36:12 AM

Actually the content is quite common copied by more projects as FAQ. I have found more examples but the OPs one was posted before I agree and I already found some traces of same content in the thread listed in the post.

Someone quoted it here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=450381.msg5107429#msg5107429

The content was probably in the OP of the post mentioned as reference and it was edited later and delete from there.

Still, I think he should have just quoted the text instead of copy pasting it directly.

Thanks for this finding, it doesn't qualify for the bounty as i limited it to 2018/2017/2016/2015
Thanks

I am not here for your above bounty neither I am taking interest because of this. I often do this here in my free time Grin
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 06:46:01 AM

Actually the content is quite common copied by more projects as FAQ. I have found more examples but the OPs one was posted before I agree and I already found some traces of same content in the thread listed in the post.

Someone quoted it here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=450381.msg5107429#msg5107429

The content was probably in the OP of the post mentioned as reference and it was edited later and delete from there.

Still, I think he should have just quoted the text instead of copy pasting it directly.

The content may have been copied from the post quoted by the post you cited. However I do not think you are describing plagiarism, and it is certainly not something the OP should be banned, nor punished (by forum administration) for, as he clearly cited a source:
When it comes to plagiarizing, people will be banned when they pass off someone else's words as their own, not when they use BB code incorrectly, or make mistakes when citing the source to the extent that it is still clear there is a source, and the content is not original.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16607

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2019, 08:06:08 AM

Let me first admit I didn't read through all the related topics. But from what I've read, I don't think this should lead to a permban.
As far as I know, the plagiarism bans got so strict only because of many users spamming the forum with other people's text to earn money (or more recently Merit). On any other forum I know, users don't get banned if they copy some text that can help someone else, and it's a pretty common thing to do since the beginning of the internet. But on any other forum I know, posts don't lead to direct earnings, so it's not a big problem there.
Of course the classic "everybody else does it too" is not an excuse, but I think it's worth to differentiate between illiterate spammers who use this forum as an ATM, and real users who slip somewhere.

Note: I don't know guigui371 at all, and I can't read French.

William8062 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 08:19:22 AM

Let me first admit I didn't read through all the related topics. But from what I've read, I don't think this should lead to a permban.
As far as I know, the plagiarism bans got so strict only because of many users spamming the forum with other people's text to earn money (or more recently Merit). On any other forum I know, users don't get banned if they copy some text that can help someone else, and it's a pretty common thing to do since the beginning of the internet. But on any other forum I know, posts don't lead to direct earnings, so it's not a big problem there.
Of course the classic "everybody else does it too" is not an excuse, but I think it's worth to differentiate between illiterate spammers who use this forum as an ATM, and real users who slip somewhere.

Note: I don't know guigui371 at all, and I can't read French.

Thanks LoyceV

I did do a copy and paste, Suchmoon found it back in october
The message you need to read is here :    proof i plagiarised

I hope you will still feel the same "I could potentially be un-banned"

cheers
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16607

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2019, 08:29:38 AM

I hope you will still feel the same "I could potentially be un-banned"
Well, at least you admit it. But even if you were posting for signature earnings, I think you would have earned the same when you wouldn't have copied anything and only posted your own additions. I can believe this was a honest mistake from someone who doesn't know this forum is so strict on plagiarism.

A long signature ban would probably work.

My main concern is that us fighting off plagiarism from spammers leads to collateral damage by banning real users who wouldn't be banned if spammers wouldn't use plagiarism at such a massive scale. This forum and the Bitcoin ecosystem needs real users.

Let me bring in this example: I reported the user for plagiarism in 2017. I didn't appreciate how he copied my text to compete with my own service. He didn't get banned. I'm okay with that now, as it's better for the forum not to ban real users for small things, and I think his case is quite similar to yours.

cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 08:33:12 AM

It's quite clear that a precedent has been set even copy and pastes for financial gain can be over turned if you can demonstrate you are a keen and valuable member. Chibitcty is a valuable trader we need all the traders we can get so he came back with a sig ban. I support that.

I think you should be given the same opportunity to return without a sig for a year or 2 or whatever theymos thinks is fair. People supporting bitcoin for all of these years should not be kicked out for good unless they do it again. Most people here are not real enthusiasts and just here to milk some money from the board. So take the sigs away and if they still contribute then they are worth keeping.

Saint-loup
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 2353

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 08:49:13 AM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

The only thing I would like to say is despite being the 3rd country in BTC nodes, the french speaking community on bitcointalk is relatively small, and most of members were even just bounty hunters/spammers in the recent past.

2.  French Local board.
The top line chart ("Total PostDiff") shows how the number of net post creation has evolved over the last 18 months, going from 10.991 net posts created in the month running up to the 25/11/2017 to the 1.435 net posts created over the month leading up to the 26/03/2019.
That is a hell of a drop, and Altcoins seem to have a lot to do with it (as can be seen on the lower chart).
Indeed, a significant drop. I think the main reason is that there are almost no more active "ANN translators" in the Fr section. In the high period, in one day, you could see a whole page of unread topics. Today, there are only 1 or 2 topics.

AFAIK guigui371 is not working in the IT area but despite that he courageously tried to put his hands in the stuff. As you can see he made a tutorial about vanitygen in 2014, and he's using PGP.... Unfortunately only few people in the french speaking section are doing this kind of things, only few people talk about technical subjects currently.
So I really think he's a valuable member for the french speaking community.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
... LIVECASINO.io    Play Live Games with up to 20% cashback!...██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
N0sferatu

Activity: 386
Merit: 78

[insert coin to continue]

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 09:40:19 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2019, 10:08:39 AM by N0sferatu

I hope this question is not too dumb: Is copying content from another website also considered plagiarism?

If yes, i found only one post from July 2017 that clearly got copied.

Copied: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1782724.msg20085279#msg20085279
Original content: http://www.etudes-fiscales-internationales.com/media/02/00/1590489700.pdf

Though i want to say that every other post seems to be written in OP's own words with no signs of plagiarism or spam.
If i may share my opinion about this case: a signature ban should be enough.

Edit: Sorry for my mistake.

William8062 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2019, 10:00:12 AM

I hope this question is not too dumb: Is copying content from another website also considered plagiarism?

If yes, i found only one post from July 2017 that clearly got copied.

Copied: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1782724.msg20085279#msg20085279
Original content: http://www.etudes-fiscales-internationales.com/media/02/00/1590489700.pdf

Though i want to say that every other post seems to be written in OP's own words with no signs of plagiarism or spam.
If i may share my opinion about this case: a signature ban should be enough.

Hi, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

This "message" has already bring brought forward and deemed not to be a plagiarism,
At best a mistake not using "  "

What I write in french is :
"I am not in any of the 16 below cases
1)
2)
3)"

See this part of my very first message on top of this thread

SNIP~
As this has been the case in my previous thread (locked) about messages that were not plagiarised, just poorly written (like this example brought by Xal0lex , and explained as not plagiarized by Vit05)~SNIP

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: