Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:43:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 408 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy the DIP, and HODL!  (Read 77885 times)
Agbamoni

Activity: 322
Merit: 283

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 01:20:24 AM

It is important we make this clarification so that new people going through this discussion will not think that investing in Bitcoin is that complicated because it isn't.  It is more of a mentality something after the financial aspect have been taken care of. By mentality, I'm referring to the ability to invest without fear, greed and the resolve to give the investment time to yield profits.
to be really frank, when I use to hear about bitcoin before joining the forum, there used to be this feeling of complexity attached to it and I never knew it's a simple thing that doesn't really involve much complex analysis before one can invest into bitcoin. I guess that's possibly the reason why some persons are afraid to invest in bitcoin because they look at it as one complex stuff that they will needd to take a whole bunch of time studying before they can get the basic knowledge that will guarantee proper investment
Yeah you are right most people had the same thinking or believe that the complexity of Bitcoin is too much, because just like you said even me I once had that feeling but it was when I finally venture into Bitcoin accumulation then I realized that investing on Bitcoin doesn't need much knowledge but instead all that's needed is just a little basis knowledge of it, at least just to know what you are in for.

So I agree with you because most people that have not really venture into Bitcoin always feel that the complexity of Bitcoin is too much that they could find it very difficult to understand, because I have actually meet someone that wants to invest on Bitcoin but was afraid of the complexity involves on Bitcoin, so I was able to prove to him that he doesn't need much knowledge before starting to invest on Bitcoin since is for holding.
You have done well in going deep to talk to your friend who wanted to invest in Bitcoin but find it too complex. In as much you spoke about no need of having much but they should be aware of the risk involved because it is an investment and as well, they should know about their investment approach. Only a well approached investment can yield good result.

Every successful investor you see today followed a well detailed approach investing to achieving the level of success they are today. Choosing a strategy is not that difficult or complex as well it's just for them to understand each strategy and how it works. Know the pros and cons and they are good to go.

Duelbits
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
///  PLAY FOR FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
PLAY NOW
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10211

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 02:47:15 AM

Although basically every individual has freedom in terms of Bitcoin accumulation and it does not rule out the possibility for them to do an aggressive way like you said with such an amount, but in my opinion it is not a good accumulation if they do a way that can suppress (force) them in terms of their finances, even though their goal is quite good to master 1 Bitcoin, but honestly I would not really recommend this method to anyone unless indeed if you are one of the conglomerates who have an income far above average and with a DCA of $100 a week is not at all burdensome and does not interfere with your basic needs then go ahead. But in my opinion on the other hand this is still not a good alternative, because obviously if we look in terms of time then it will still take a lot of time for you to achieve success to reach 1 Bitcoin, and also on the other hand time will continue to run, meaning that as long as you do this method it is very likely that there will be changes in the price of Bitcoin, if bearish dominates when you do this method until completion then it is a little profitable, But if Bitcoin is rising due to factors such as halving, it is likely that the amount of money you have to allocate will increase and with that means that in terms of time it will also definitely be longer if you put a flat amount ($100) on each DCA you do.
There must be a good strategy in this case even though the goal may be very good to do but when the method only makes ourselves difficult in the end this can hinder the pace of DCA done.
$100 per week will indeed provide greater benefits because what we invest is very large but on the other hand it goes back to the initial problem of whether we can do it consistently for a long period of time? If in the end you can do that and with the support of the benefits you have from the salary you receive every month to be able to invest $100 / week and be able to cover other needs for daily life, it is indeed very good but if we have a modest income and investing $100 / week is draining your cash I don't think it's worth it even though your desire to get 1 btc is very good but in the end when impulsive methods like this are done, this will destroy your desire to get 1 btc because of your difficulty in managing your finances because you are too pushing yourself for the goals you want to achieve.
Keep in mind this is an investment for the long term so when you force from the start with a big start then when you have problems in the purchase made because it is too burdensome then this is precisely what becomes a problem so that the investment that is carried out does not go well.

Of course, sometimes we want to try to speak in terms of specific numbers, such as $100 per week or maybe $10 per week in order to give some level of concreteness to our discussions, and many normies are going to fit within a range in which they are able to afford somewhere between $10 and $100 per week, but if we really start to get into cash management, we might also need to get into discussing reasonable targets, and frequently it seems to me that something like 10% is a fairly reasonable starting point to discuss as a target for someone to save/invest... but of course, it is best that we establish that even the 10% is not going to end up jeopardize anyone on terms of their being able to make sure that they cover their ongoing monthly expenses, account for irregularities that they might have in their cashflow, and even the importance of maintaining some kind of an emergency fund, especially if they are going to end up getting aggressive with their investing/savings amount.

That can't work all the time although it's the best ever, sometimes the price of bitcoin just continues to go up and you have the funds to buy, DCA can help you in that so you don't end up having to wait for months or years and that money stagnating from inflation. We can't predict the market so it's for the best that we adapt our strategies or just make more money in our jobs and save more extra money so we always have money when the price of bitcoin is low.
The questions about the rise and fall nature of the decentralized digital currencies have raised a lot of eyebrows to interested people who want to venture into Bitcoin but do not have enough information at hand. Sometimes it is not just about searching online because you may not necessarily have the in depth or hands-on information you're looking for. So, therefore, it is key that we enlighten ourselves more about what it takes to patronize the digital currency and by extention invest in it.

It sounds like you are trying to be too smart for your own good, iBaba.  Why do you need to use the term digital currencies?"

Why not just use the term bitcoin?  especially since this thread is about bitcoin. 

Another thing... Do you believe that the various presumptions that we are talking about in this thread applies to shitcoins?  Anything other than bitcoin?  I have my doubts, but even if you might be able to make such arguments it would be off topic for this thread.. so that gets us back to why not just say bitcoin rather than trying to sound smart and suggest that these ideas apply to "digital currencies" when they likely do not. because any other coin, besides bitcoin has a burden prove that it is not a shitcoin, which surely there is none of them that I understand to even be close to meeting such burden.. so we cannot presume any of them to be a good long term investment.. so why make any such comparison? unless you don't know what the fuck you are talking about and your brain in jumbled in terms of understanding how bitcoin is different from shitcoins.

DCA remains the best option for long-term growth investors who have meager resources at hand but are always ready to take advantage of the market trend. It is like an investment plan options that have been roled out to a potential investor who's knocking on the door for investment.

Don't know if this example helps but it's a case of whether he or she is an angel investor who's putting in their own funds with the expectations of making profits by taking advantage of the market, he can use the DCA approach OR if the investor is a venture capitalist who's investing more money into the coin, then the investor will want to wait for the Lump Sum to make profits.

I doubt that this is a very good example.  A lot of the venture capitalists pump and dump shitcoins, so you seem to not really be referring to bitcoin but instead some other kinds of ideas that are not really that great for common folks who are trying to get away from scams and into sound money, such as bitcoin.  If you are trying to follow or figure out what various venture capitalists are doing, you are likely wasting brain power chasing around whatever might be the latest pump and dump that they are hyping, and even though a lot of people talk positively about bitcoin, bitcoin does not have marketing teams in the same kinds of ways that shitcoins and venture capitalists might pump their baloney so that they can dump on retail at some opportune time that maybe ONLY they know about it or that they got into whatever bullshit that they are pumping way before the make various efforts (and perhaps create campaigns) to pump their crap.

When it doesn’t hit the target you set for it due to the volatile nature of the market and the bull market already over, it is good to sell them off and get the profit already accumulated. Waiting for the bull run to come when it seems unlikely to come at that time again is just like gambling and if you gamble your money, you’ll end up losing more money and get little or no profit for all the wait over the years.
If you say that selling when you have reached your bitcoin target is the best and you don't need to gamble by keeping it, is wrong because it shows that you don't know the worth of bitcoin investment and when you sell off all your investment in the nearest future you will become broke, since you don't have the investment anymore to generate profit. An investment should be seen as something that generate produt in a long term i.e till infinity. If you sell all your bitcoin, you will not reach the fuck you level status.

Imagine that you own a company and have taken time to grow this company for let's say 8yrs and the company is giving you good returns but you haven't touched a dime from the profit. If The company at a point total worth is $1m, and your dream money to have for you to know that you have arrived is $1m, will you now sell the company out to someone else for $1m because that was your price target...you will get broke again and it will be difficult to build such company from a start and achieve same worth in a very long time because of inflation and some unforeseen challenges. The best thing is to allow the profit to compound and take profit leaving the company to still worth the $1m because it is an investment that has flourished already and it will continue to bring profit. This is sane with bitcoin investment.

I am pretty sure that I like your example of building a company up to $1 million versus building bitcoin up to $1 million, and the reason that I like it is different from yours Ruttoshi.  You believe bitcoin is the same kind of an investment as a company, and surely it is not, unless you happen to be an investor in the company and you do not have to do any work, then maybe if you are merely an investment, and then your investment comes to be worth $1million, then the business would be similar to bitcoin, except still, you have to be confident in the fundamentals of the company in terms of the management and the direction and the fact they may well still be able to perform, and if you cannot get those kinds of assurances, it makes more sense to take your money out of the business..

On the other hand, bitcoin remains a different kind of investment in that it is a kind of money protocol, but not ONLY that, bitcoin is a paradigm shifting technology that is likely still under 1% of world-wide adoption, so there is not any kind of similar third party risk when it comes to bitcoin as compared to a $million company. 

In fact, if you had a company that you worked your ass off to build up to a place where you are able to sell it and walk away with $1 million, then maybe it may well be smart to take that $1 million and put it into bitcoin, and sure that might well bring up other questions regarding how to enter, lump sum, buying on dips and/or DCA... and sure the default mode might be to divide the $million into 3 parts of $333,333, but of course, you can do whatever you believe is workable and reasonable in that regard.

It is not 100% guarantee that bitcoin price will give huge profit in some timeline but the odds of having good profit us higher and this is why, when you have reached your bitcoin target, that is when you can now be relaxed with your accumulation consistently and maintain your bitcoin portfolio by buying once in a while or quarterly DCA. Then when bitcoin price reaches a new ATH, you can sell like 10% and leave the rest to continue increasing it once in a while or whatever strategy that is cool with you just to make sure that the investment is increasing in size or you can then diversify into gold, stock, bond or real estate.

There's nothing wrong with those ideas, but I find it problematic to use the previous ATH as your reference point in terms of when you might sell because it makes it sound like you are ONLY thinking about bitcoin price instead of other factors that might also concern your own situation.. so there are likely ways to work out formulas for selling small parts of bitcoin as the BTC price rises at various points and either completely take those profits off the table or to take some of them off the table and keep other parts on the side to potentially use for buying on dips (but if the BTC price doesn't dip then at some point then even the second portion that you had kept in reserve for buying back might end up coming available to you for the purposes of spending or investing in other assets.

I got (and modified) several of my selling on the way up ideas from Rpietila's (Risto) (RIP) 2013 Thread entitled.:  (SSS) - A Sane and Simple bitcoin Savings plan

Another problematic aspect in regards to considering selling at the old ATH is that the ATH arena tends to get passed through fairly quickly, so I am currently considering that from about $55k to $85k is a kind of no man's zone, which just means that the BTC price is likely to pass through quickly, but still there are no guarantees, so if you feel anxious to sell some coins, then feel free to do it, but you might be regretting if the BTC price passes through to the upside and never returns or even if it does return, it might be a while down the road..

In my own personal system, I hardly make any changes at all in terms of if we are in no man's zone or not.. maybe minor changes.. and so I continue to sell in small increments on the way up, and so yeah some of the problem sometimes can be that too much fiat ends up stacking up and there sometimes can be some regrets about selling too much too soon... so sometimes in order to be less regretful, I might tweak my sell order sizes to be smaller or maybe I will make my sell spreads larger... but the main reason that I feel that I am even able to do this is that largely I had reached my BTC accumulation targets in 2014/2015, so I had over accumulated BTC and I had never really sold that many of them, so I really have maintained myself into a status of being overallocated in bitcoin, which is part of my justification of being able to sell at pretty much any BTC price but I generally tend to restrict myself to selling on the way up and buying on the way down, but the amounts that I continue to sell remain so relatively small that they are not really a large constitution of my overall BTC investment, while at the same time, even with relatively small sell orders, if the BTC price goes up 2x or 4x and really does not have too many meaningful corrections, it can start to seem like I have way too much cash... but how could that be, if the reality of the matter is that my cash does not even tend to get to more than 5% of my overall size of my BTC stash, even when the BTC price is moving up a lot.. so in the whole scheme of things when looking at the whole size of my BTC holdings, having too much cash has not really tended to be much of a problem for me, even though sometimes it can feel like it when I don't really have any place lined up to spend any of it, and sometimes, I just have to make things up for myself to find things to spend on, just to have some excuses to spend more.

What matters in one's life is steady growth no matter how well your investment is flourishing, you must still make sure that you are increasing it so that you can get to a level that you will never get broke because your investments are working for you.

If you end up holding more in bitcoin as compared to your other assets, then there will likely be periods in which your networth is going down to be 50%, or 70% or more .. less than what you had been worth previously... let me see if I can give you an example.

Let's say that a guy got into bitcoin around 10 years ago, and he had an overall investment portfolio of around $100k, and so his first several years getting into bitcoin, he tried to invest around 10% into bitcoin, but he ends up investing around 15% into bitcoin over two to 3 years, and so he makes several mistakes along the way, and ends up getting about 21 BTC for around $1k each (a $21k investment)... so over the next 10 years, his traditional portfolio grew from $100k to be about $200k (it largely doubled), yet his BTC holdings went from $21k to $1.45 million at the $69k top in November 2021, and currently about $765k ($36,500). so his BTC investment is currently nearly 4x the size of his other investments, even though it had gone up to $1.45 million at the top (which would have been around 7x the size of his other assets), but it also shrunk down to $325k (when we were at the $15,479 bottom in November 2022).. which would have had ONLY have had been about 1.625x of his other assets, but even at the $15,479 bottom still in good profits of around 15.5x since his average cost per BTC had only been around $1k per BTC.  None the less, since a lot of the networth is held in such a volatile asset like bitcoin, the trajectory of his networth is not straight up.. but fluctuates and still is generally tending up but not always feeling like it is going up as much as it maybe should.

Ups and Downs is a common image of a trading platform. You must develop a risk appetite before investing. The interesting thing here is that some are looking for a dip in Bitcoin while many are expecting bullish ones. As a Bitcoin investor I would certainly welcome the dip as I would not pass up an opportunity to buy at a low price to save my Bitcoins for the long term. I will take every dip as an opportunity and try to hold it as best I can. But since I follow DCA these dips and highs don't affect me much. I know the market will be bearish again and bitcoin will lose its value but my bitcoin holdings will not decrease but i get the dips it will increase my wealth in the future.
Well, that's true, every increase there must be a decrease and every decrease there must be an increase, as we have seen today where at the end of last year BTC fell to $15k and today Bitcoin is trading at $35k. 

You sound mixed up ginsan.  If the there were always a decrease for every increase in bitcoin, then we would never have gotten above $1 per BTC.

In other words, in the short term it may well be confusing regarding what bitcoin is doing, but if we zoom out, we can see that generally speaking the BTC price is ongoingly up and to the right.. sure in the short term there are various corrections along the way. .and up and to the right is not guaranteed, but if bitcoin were like you (@ginsan) suggest it to be, we end up being mostly flat and/or stable, which surely is not the case.. Bitcoin is volatile and even inevitably volatile to such a degree that it may well be one of the ONLY things that you can surely count on, even though surely some people do want to presume that bitcoin is inevitably going to continue up and to the right, which surely might be true, but it is surely not guaranteed to go up... even though it has tended to and even though there is no real reason to start to speculate that it is going to stop going generally up.

So any dip is always the best point to accumulate bitcoins where we can hold them for a long period. Well, DCA certainly won't have an effect because every purchase is made in stages, either at a low price or an expensive price, because at the end of the target we will adjust the average entry for the purchases we have made.

Many hope that the price of Bitcoin will fall again so they can buy aggressively but the market will not change immediately because we are already at the point of a 46% decline from its highest price. Therefore it is more appropriate for us to continue buying bitcoin while we are still below its highest price.

Sure the earlier you are in your BTC accumulation journey, the more likely you should not give too many shits if the BTC price dips, and you may even want the BTC price to dip and/or stay down since you are still building your BTC position and you might not even be losing very much value when the BTC price does drop since your BTC holdings might not have gotten to a point of being very BIG, yet.

There will likely come a point in your BTC accumulation journey that you prefer up.. even if you might buy on dips, you realize that you largely have enough BTC and so you would rather be in profits rather than being in the negative.. since sometimes it can feel frustrating to be in the negative for long periods of time.. especially if you might not have had been in bitcoin a whole cycle (which is 4 years), and sure there are some folks who have screwed up their BTC accumulation so badly that they are still hoping and praying for down because they come to some realizations that it is probably better to be accumulating bitcoin ongoingly rather than fucking around with other kinds of matters or maybe even having had been too whimpy in their earlier BTC accumulation focus.  We are still early.. even though surely sometimes if can take a bit of pain before realizing that the best way to accumulate bitcoin has to do with just regular and ongoing buying strategies rather than screwing around with either leverage and/or trading and/or shitcoins and/or listening to mainstream misleading and/or distracting misinformation about bitcoin.

It is important we make this clarification so that new people going through this discussion will not think that investing in Bitcoin is that complicated because it isn't.  It is more of a mentality something after the financial aspect have been taken care of. By mentality, I'm referring to the ability to invest without fear, greed and the resolve to give the investment time to yield profits.
to be really frank, when I use to hear about bitcoin before joining the forum, there used to be this feeling of complexity attached to it and I never knew it's a simple thing that doesn't really involve much complex analysis before one can invest into bitcoin. I guess that's possibly the reason why some persons are afraid to invest in bitcoin because they look at it as one complex stuff that they will needd to take a whole bunch of time studying before they can get the basic knowledge that will guarantee proper investment

that is very true.  Sure there are a lot of things that can be complex and confusing about bitcoin, but developing an investment thesis in bitcoin is not necessarily complex, yet the mere fact that you have started to invest in bitcoin, should not cause you to presume that you either know what bitcoin is or that you can stop studying it.

Each person likely should be attempting to study and learn about bitcoin while s/he is ongoingly investing into it, yet at the same time, the mere fact that it is a good idea to continue to learn about bitcoin would be so that we have some ideas about whether we need to tweak our position, and maybe if we were to start by investing $10 per week into bitcoin, even though we know we could afford $100 per week, after we study bitcoin for a while we might be able to come to realize that we should be investing the total of our $100 per week into bitcoin rather than $10 per week, and we also might come to realize that we have to figure out ways to either increase our income and/or to decrease our expenses so we can buy more bitcoin, so after studying bitcoin we might end up gong from $10 per week, to $100 per week, to $200 per week and maybe we might even figure out some other things that we could end up doing to both invest in bitcoin and set various kinds of targets for ourselves in regards to what we want to do with our bitcoin investment.. and/or how we might come to want to manage our investment once we start to achieve higher levels of BTC accumulation.

2% is too optimistic? And what about my assignment of 0.5% odds for more than $2.5million. is that too optimistic too?  

>>>>>"Pie in the sky:  $1,000,001 to $2.5 million- 2%  [a 33x to 83x price appreciation from $30k]"<<<<

>>>>>"SuperCharged Pie in the sky:  greater than $2.5 million- less than 0.5%  [more than a 83x price appreciation from $30k]"<<<<

How would you propose that we fix what you believe to be too optimistic.. since I already put out those numbers we should not remove the numbers, but instead assign lower odds to them.. so what kind of numbers do you believe to be more realistic for those two upper categories?  Are they zero or is there some kind of a non zero probability that you could imagine that justifies assigning them  some kind of probability.. right now.. not 6 months down the road, but now.

Remember in 2013 we had more than a 100x price appreciation in just one year from BTC prices less than $10 and going to right around $1,163.

Remember in 2017 we had right around a 78x price appreciation in two years going from $250 to $19,666.

Remember in 2021 we had right around a 16.5x price appreciation in two-ish years going from $4,200 to $69k.

I find it difficult to merely assign a narrow set of scenarios and thereafter expect BTC to comply, even if you consider that your set of scenarios is the most probable, and you might end up being correct, but that surely does not mean that other scenarios are not potentially reasonable and/or deserving some kind of a consideration and/or probability that is more than just dismissing the other variations as if they were zero% odds, merely because for some reason you seem to have aspirations to be a wannabe sorcerer.
It's okay to be optimistic and I do believe that expect the unexpected scenario always.

From my point of view 2% is hardly expecting shit.  Sure, I could have had made it 1% or maybe even less than 1%, but off the top of my head (and at this particular moment), I believe that 2% is more realistic than 1%, and surely the way you are talking you seem to be suggesting that it is some other number, such as zero.. .. and if you really believe that the odds are zero, then it seems to me that you are the one who is pie and in the sky and unrealistic and perhaps even failing/refusing to recognize and appreciate what bitcoin is.

Too optimistic is just an instant reaction to the value when I see that $1M tag and it doesn't mean to disagree on the values or anything.

Well, if you don't disagree and you don't even really have any other proposed number, then you are using the wrong words.  Reasonable people can assign different numbers, and in the last cycle, there were plenty of times that I had heard quite a few forum members assigning zero odds to certain upside scenarios (including scenarios in my December 16, 2021 Upside scenarios post), and even though they ended up being correct, since the $69k, top was already in, I cannot remember anyone actually wanting to place some kind of a meaningful bet on the various places that they had proclaimed to have zero probabilities of happening.  When push comes to shove, they were not willing to do it, especially since any kind of reasonable bet would have to account for the probabilities, so for example if you wanted to assign zero probabilities to something that I place 2% odds, then in order to make the bet fair, I would have to bet ONLY a fraction of what you would have to bet, so I would have a low chance of winning a lot and you would have a great chance of winning little (in comparison to the amount that you ended up putting up).

And I expect the million range after a few more cycles so in my prediction it is close to impossible before 2025 so I will put the values of anything over 500K to the closer value of zero and it's just my opinion though.

If you were wanting to bet zero probabilities on anything over $500k, then I am sure that there would be plenty of people willing to take you up on such a bet, even though like I said the odds would be in your favor.  My prediction amounts shows 10% odds of something higher than $500k by the end of 2025, but in some of my subsequent posts, I had also stated that I only consider that it is 70% to 80% probable that we have a new ATH prior to 2025 (which is an underlying presumption of the terms of my bet), so if we account for the 70-80% odds of my spectrum of possibilities even being entered into, then we must acknowledge that my closer to real probability assignment for prices above $500k before the end of 2025 would be in the ballpark of 7.5%.  What you think about that?   0% versus 7.5%.. how would we structure a bet, if actually were to really believe what you are suggesting above $500k prior to the end of 2025 to be zero?

As the market evolves and as new factors come into play, these predictions can be recalibrated. It's crucial to approach such forecasts with a healthy dose of optimism tempered with rational assessment.

That's true, but if anyone is making a prediction right now, then s/he makes it based on what s/he knows at this particular time, and surely if facts change, then the odds for various scenarios change too... they might go up or they might go down depending on a variety of factors, including that if we were to breach our current ATH prior to the end of 2023, then it is quite likely that would affect the numbers that I already outlined...  At that point maybe becoming more optimistic rather than less, since the underlying assumption of a new ATH had already been met, so at least the lowest of the categories had been met, so maybe the whole thing might need to be tweaked in a variety of ways to continue to allow it to try to make sense based on whatever the new facts happened have become.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Zigabel

Activity: 252
Merit: 152

Duelbits.com

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 09:01:55 AM

You have done well in going deep to talk to your friend who wanted to invest in Bitcoin but find it too complex. In as much you spoke about no need of having much but they should be aware of the risk involved because it is an investment and as well, they should know about their investment approach. Only a well approached investment can yield good result.

Every successful investor you see today followed a well detailed approach investing to achieving the level of success they are today. Choosing a strategy is not that difficult or complex as well it's just for them to understand each strategy and how it works. Know the pros and cons and they are good to go.
Sometimes our approach towards investments could be our greatest fall because when you have a predetermined negative mindset about a certain investment, you definitely will approach it wrongly and may possibly make mistakes you may have to learn from the hard way.

Concentrating so much on the risk alone is very risky because you become very indecisive thinking about the risk and sometimes end up missing opportunities which would have been more beneficial to you because much of your attention was focused on the risk. Bitcoin no doubts has it's risk associated with it but equal have a proportionate reward that is worth the risk so it's a very healthy risk especially if you systemically approach it with an outlined strategy and staying disciplined enough.

Gormicsta

Activity: 168
Merit: 75

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 09:02:06 AM

there are only two viable strategies for those accumulating bitcoin in my opinion.
- you either consider yourself a trader which means you have to be buying the dips and each time you see a good opportunity like the correction after we hit $5500.
- or you are just dumping your fiat every time you have some extra laying around and turning it into valuable bitcoin. in which case it really doesn't matter when you buy specially since that strategy is a long term one and whether you buy at $5000 or $5500 doesn't make much difference when price goes up in long run as it doesn't matter if you bought at $220 or $240 back in 2015 now that price is 25 times more!!!

Enjoy the aroma, sooner or later they'll find out that selling is a mistake. Cool

I totally concur with this acception. Selling is always the worst mistake a Bitcoiner would ever make, some myopic investors sees a dip as the worst times in Bitcoin investment, investors who do not really know what Bitcoin is all about and the real vision. Thereby making them afraid of what the outcome of might be and then go ahead to sell off their Bitcoin, without knowing that dips are on the contrary the one of the best period in Bitcoin investment because it gives you another opportunity to buy and prepare for another Bull run. One major lesson I've learned about Bitcoin is that you only loose when you sell but you're in the safest side and will always make profit when you HODL even in the midst of a great dip. That's the secret of Bitcoin.

I wished I had the knowledge I've acquired from this forum, I wish I had that knowledge years ago when I started my Bitcoin journey then I for sure would have been a more successful trader, but I'm still very thankful for the knowledge I've acquired and still acquiring.
Mia Chloe

Activity: 336
Merit: 494

Math + Code = Blockchain 😁

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 11:50:59 AM

Sometimes our approach towards investments could be our greatest fall because when you have a predetermined negative mindset about a certain investment, you definitely will approach it wrongly and may possibly make mistakes you may have to learn from the hard way.
Talking about approach I believe the phrase "HODL WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE" should be a guide when investing in Bitcoin.As it would go a long way in preventing trauma which may be caused by possible fatal losses especially when investing in shit coins. Bitcoin still remains the OG of the crypto space so it's never a bad option to invest in it.

I totally concur with this acception. Selling is always the worst mistake a Bitcoiner would ever make, some myopic investors sees a dip as the worst times in Bitcoin investment, investors who do not really know what Bitcoin is all about and the real vision. Thereby making them afraid of what the outcome of might be and then go ahead to sell off their Bitcoin, without knowing that dips are on the contrary the one of the best period in Bitcoin investment because it gives you another opportunity to buy and prepare for another Bull run. One major lesson I've learned about Bitcoin is that you only loose when you sell but you're in the safest side and will always make profit when you HODL even in the midst of a great dip. That's the secret of Bitcoin.
Selling Bitcoin is never a mistake but a choice which can either be regarded as a bad or good one which depends on the circumstances.We should not be against selling Bitcoin because most times we tend to buy Bitcoin before we hodl so if no one wants to sell we definitely can't hodl.Hodling is always regarded as the better option because it doesn't require any technicality unlike trading which does.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██████
 PLAY NOW 
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██████
Gormicsta

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 12:09:28 PM

Selling Bitcoin is never a mistake but a choice which can either be regarded as a bad or good one which depends on the circumstances.We should not be against selling Bitcoin because most times we tend to buy Bitcoin before we hodl so if no one wants to sell we definitely can't hodl.Hodling is always regarded as the better option because it doesn't require any technicality unlike trading which does.

When I termed selling Bitcoin as a mistake, I'm making emphasis on SELLING DURING A DIP no circumstances can justify selling during a dip, because the only reason that would prompt anyone to sell during a dip is FEAR OD BITCOIN FAILING  and like I always say, no one would even consider selling an option if they truly understand the framework which Bitcoin is built on. Selling on other circumstances can be said to be a choice  which I'm not against. Again my emphasis is basically on SELLING DURING A DIP
jeha2015

Activity: 548
Merit: 167

Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 12:53:45 PM

When I termed selling Bitcoin as a mistake, I'm making emphasis on SELLING DURING A DIP no circumstances can justify selling during a dip, because the only reason that would prompt anyone to sell during a dip is FEAR OD BITCOIN FAILING  and like I always say, no one would even consider selling an option if they truly understand the framework which Bitcoin is built on. Selling on other circumstances can be said to be a choice  which I'm not against. Again my emphasis is basically on SELLING DURING A DIP

Selling at DIP prices is of course not only a mistake but also due to a lack of good knowledge and most people who sell at DIP prices are of course panicking or perhaps in a state of urgency. For example, if he invests in Bitcoin, he doesn't use cold money, so at the same time he needs money quickly in a DIP market condition, so he is forced to sell it even though he is making a loss. This happens very often among novice investors.

The thing is, it's really strange if someone sells at the DIP price if there's no particular reason, that's why before we invest in BTC we have to learn first that BTC is for the long term so use cold cash or have other emergency funds.

Gormicsta

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 01:39:46 PM

The thing is, it's really strange if someone sells at the DIP price if there's no particular reason, that's why before we invest in BTC we have to learn first that BTC is for the long term so use cold cash or have other emergency funds.

That is a notable point. One should at least be aware of the volatility of the cryptocurrency market before investing in Bitcoin. Dips can happen at any time and are inevitable, so keeping this in mind before you start could help you make decisions that will impact your investment. Before choosing to get involved, it is imperative to have a thorough insight and knowledge of how these things operate.

Again, When investing in Bitcoin, it's a good idea to use funds that you don't plan to use anytime soon. Since Bitcoin is obviously a long-term investment, it's also crucial to have emergency funds on hand in case you ever need to take care of an emergency. In that case, you would just think about using your backup funds rather than considering selling your Bitcoin to cover the expense.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 02:52:50 PM
Merited by sompitonov (1)

[edited out]
It’s not easy for a beginner to choose a cryptocurrency at the beginning of their road, but for me personally it was possible in a short period of time. Although of course I didn’t understand much. Despite this, I was lucky and crypto grew up.

Now I see how crypto bloggers from YouTube have a great influence on newcomers. They say and newbies buy it. It scares. For the last 2 years, I have been watching one blogger from the CIS region imprisoned a bunch of people in the CHIA. His videos get 50k views, but this altcoin is falling all the time. I have no proof, but CHIA probably paid him good money. Moreover, some of his subscribers justify him and come to his defense. I’ll just say that it’s better to think with your own head, some crypto bloggers are talented psychologists and mislead the crowd.

By the way, recently another crypto blogger told about the money they pay him, these are huge numbers that don’t fit in my head.

I am having trouble figuring out how your post relates to this thread.  We are not talking about shitcoins here.

I wish I had that knowledge years ago when I started my Bitcoin journey then I for sure would have been a more successful trader, but I'm still very thankful for the knowledge I've acquired and still acquiring.

We are not talking about trading here.

Again, When investing in Bitcoin, it's a good idea to use funds that you don't plan to use anytime soon. Since Bitcoin is obviously a long-term investment, it's also crucial to have emergency funds on hand in case you ever need to take care of an emergency. In that case, you would just think about using your backup funds rather than considering selling your Bitcoin to cover the expense.

For sure this part is correct, and the more adventurous that anyone becomes with his/her ongoing bitcoin investing, then there may well need to be some kinds of ways to ensure that the cashflow cushion is sufficient, and so one way is to project out cashflows, and so variance in cashflows (which includes expenses) would not necessarily affect the emergency fund, it would just be protecting from variance, and so in that regard, emergency funds are rarely if ever tapped into, even though there could be a significant amount of variance in which some of the monthly expenses might not be coverable by monthly income and so then there may well be cushions to account for that variance.. and if it is mostly expected variance, then that would not be emergency funds... so people can structure these kinds of emergency funds and cashflow matters in a variety of ways in order to help prevent from getting into a pickle, and they may not realize if their system is inadequate until it ends up getting tested in extreme ways and then they will find out if they have enough money in their extra cashflow and also their emergency fund in order to NOT have to sell any BTC at a time that is other than their own choosing.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Justbillywitt

Activity: 238
Merit: 174

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 04:16:08 PM

Selling at DIP prices is of course not only a mistake but also due to a lack of good knowledge and most people who sell at DIP prices are of course panicking or perhaps in a state of urgency. For example, if he invests in Bitcoin, he doesn't use cold money, so at the same time he needs money quickly in a DIP market condition, so he is forced to sell it even though he is making a loss. This happens very often among novice investors.

One thing is certain and that is, there will always be sellers and buyers of Bitcoin at all time. But one thing I will always tell those who are selling because of fear of market crashing down it that, those that you are selling to are they not affected by the same market down trends? Like you rightly said most of these people are novice and they don’t know that bear market is an opportunity to gather more instead of selling. Also some of these people were not properly educated about bitcoin investment, they always assumed it’s all about upward trends, so when they notice a little dip they began to panic and start selling. Their mentality is let me not lose everything, let me take whatever that is remaining. I don’t usually blame them most times, I blame whoever introduced bitcoin investment to them for not properly educating them about the volatility in bitcoin investment.

███████ ███████        R O L L B I T        CRYPTO'S MOST INNOVATIVE CASINO        [ PLAY NOW ]        ███████ ███████
//     TRADE RLB NOW!     //
███████ ███████ ███████            OFFICIAL EUROPEAN BETTING PARTNER OF SSC NAPOLI           ███████ ███████ ███████
Hewlet

Activity: 280
Merit: 115

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 04:23:55 PM

I believe the phrase "HODL WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE" should be a guide when investing in Bitcoin. As it would go a long way in preventing trauma which may be caused by possible fatal losses especially when investing in shit coins.
Although the phrase "HODL what you can afford to lose" has become a cliche in the world of Bitcoin investment and other types of crypto investment,  an average person doesn't agree with this. The major reason why an average person makes any investment is because they want to make profit out of it either in the long or short run and so, most people don't even want to listen to the hard reality that loss is a serious variable to be put into consideration while making investment of  
 any kind. And you find some persons investing all their earnings and within a few months, they start expecting their investment to yield returns and if there is a bit of fluctuation in price at that moment, they become troubled and may sell out their investment due to poor investment strategy and plan.

As simple as this sounds and as frequently as it is being reiterated on this platform, people still make unguided and miscalculated investment that makes them very uncomfortable within few months into the investment and will be panicking and looking for news and thread suggesting that the bitcoin price has skyrocketed overnight. Maybe the term HODL  should be written in full with it explanation attached to it always. It meanshold on to dear life I had to emphasise the dear life so people will know that they shouldn't just expect a return overnight.

███████ ███████        R O L L B I T        CRYPTO'S MOST INNOVATIVE CASINO        [ PLAY NOW ]        ███████ ███████
//     TRADE RLB NOW!     //
███████ ███████ ███████            OFFICIAL EUROPEAN BETTING PARTNER OF SSC NAPOLI           ███████ ███████ ███████
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 04:43:06 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Maybe the term HODL  should be written in full with it explanation attached to it always. It means hold on to dear life I had to emphasise the dear life so people will know that they shouldn't just expect a return overnight.

That is bullshit.  

HODL does not mean "hold on for dear life"

That was some no coiner gambler who came up with that characterization of HODL in order to wrongly imply some level of gambling and/or panic/stress that a HODLer needs to have.

There are ways to set up your BTC investment strategies so that you do not need to fear prices, and if prices go down you get more sats for the amount of dollars that you are using to buy them.. so whether you buy on the dip or you DCA, you should well consider that if you start to run out of money and the BTC price is going down, then you may well need to HODL in those circumstances. .at least until you get more money, then at that point you might choose to buy some more bitcoin with your new cashflow.

There also might be some other times that you choose to HODL on the way up, and surely those are personal choices in regards to how much BTC that you might have had already accumulated, and there could be some stress in terms of trying to decide what to do, even if the BTC price might be going up.  

Panic can come at various points in time if you have not set forth some kind of reasonable plan and attempted to mostly follow the plan even when there might come about some circumstances that had been previously unexpected, but if you have an overall solid plan, you should be able to figure out some kind of a reasonable approach to what to do in regards to your BTC, even if you had not completely planned for the situation that is being experienced that might end up going beyond expectations.  HODL.. is one of the potential solutions, but it is not the ONLY solution, so when and how HODL might be applied may well differ from person to person, but hopefully we are not getting ourself into emotional states that are too far gone that we start to believe that HODL itself is a kind of an emotional state rather than a decision that is within one of our plan options.

Long term HODL should also not be too emotional, even though maybe there should be some decently good feelings if you may have built up your BTC position to such a status that it is giving you more options, even if you might not be choosing to exercise your options, but sometimes when we have a decently sized BTC stash, we might well feel free to either accumulate large amounts of cash or even to invest into some other kinds of assets with our incoming cashflow because we have largely already established our BTC position. .and we choose to mostly and perhaps not exclusively HODL it.

By the way, the timeline of NOT expecting quick returns may well likely help to establish that the first few years in bitcoin might be the most difficult while building up a bitcoin stash, and surely there are going to be some members who take a couple of cycles to build up their BTC stash. .and there is nothing wrong with that - especially considering that sometimes we may well have difficulties to either increase our income or to decrease our expenses in order that we might be able to buy more bitcoin, so we just have to figure out a level of purchase that is suitable for us.. and that there may be a lot of holding time that accompanies the building of a BTC stack.. including establishing ways to secure our stash through our own self-custody, even if we might not start out with self-custody until we learn some of the available options and figure out which options might be suitable to our own situations.

Odohu

Activity: 378
Merit: 340

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2023, 05:22:59 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Talking about approach I believe the phrase "HODL WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE" should be a guide when investing in Bitcoin.As it would go a long way in preventing trauma which may be caused by possible fatal losses especially when investing in shit coins. Bitcoin still remains the OG of the crypto space so it's never a bad option to invest in it.
Someone suggested that, when it comes to investment in Bitcoin, using the word "invest what you can afford to lose" is  not too suitable and makes it look like Bitcoin is gambling or some sort of unserious business. According to him, the phrase should be "invest such amount you can hold for long, at least five to ten years". I tend to agree with him because if we maintain the phrase of what people can afford to lose,  it means low income earners are not supposed to invest in Bitcoin because I doubt that they have some money they can through away even though they can afford to keep small fraction of their money in Bitcoin while expecting it will become something worthwhile in the future... this can be some sort of motivation. The various methods of Bitcoin accumulation being discussed so far are all aimed at encouraging people to invest some fraction of their money to save for the future (HODL).

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Samlucky O

Activity: 280
Merit: 191

The great city of God 🔥

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2023, 06:52:33 PM

As simple as this sounds and as frequently as it is being reiterated on this platform, people still make unguided and miscalculated investment that makes them very uncomfortable within few months into the investment and will be panicking and looking for news and thread suggesting that the bitcoin price has skyrocketed overnight. Maybe the term HODL  should be written in full with it explanation attached to it always. It meanshold on to dear life I had to emphasise the dear life so people will know that they shouldn't just expect a return overnight.
It's been a while I posted here but coming here and reading people's comment I got attracted to this your comment. I think you are getting it all wrong. holding BTC is not holding onto dear life. I think that is not the best phrase to use in discribing Bitcoin investment or holding. In as much as we talk about HODL, doesn't mean that manner. because it's creating another inpression on  bitcoin investment. It might be that you are trying to express your thoughts on the duration of how long it can last, but there are factors that you need to consider. Each investor has his investment duration, and has plan when to cash out some bulks to use for other things, but with this it sound as if one doesn't have any porpose for investment. When next you are trying to express what you mean, you should clearly state it, in other not to create another inpression on HODL.

Agbamoni

Merit: 283

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 06:55:28 PM

Maybe the term HODL  should be written in full with it explanation attached to it always. It means hold on to dear life I had to emphasise the dear life so people will know that they shouldn't just expect a return overnight.

That is bullshit.  

That was some no coiner gambler who came up with that characterization of HODL in order to wrongly imply some level of gambling and/or panic/stress that a HODLer needs to have.

There are ways to set up your BTC investment strategies so that you do not need to fear prices, and if prices go down you get more sats for the amount of dollars that you are using to buy them.. so whether you buy on the dip or you DCA, you should well consider that if you start to run out of money and the BTC price is going down, then you may well need to HODL in those circumstances. .at least until you get more money, then at that point you might choose to buy some more bitcoin with your new cashflow.

There also might be some other times that you choose to HODL on the way up, and surely those are personal choices in regards to how much BTC that you might have had already accumulated, and there could be some stress in terms of trying to decide what to do, even if the BTC price might be going up.  

Panic can come at various points in time if you have not set forth some kind of reasonable plan and attempted to mostly follow the plan even when there might come about some circumstances that had been previously unexpected, but if you have an overall solid plan, you should be able to figure out some kind of a reasonable approach to what to do in regards to your BTC, even if you had not completely planned for the situation that is being experienced that might end up going beyond expectations.  HODL.. is one of the potential solutions, but it is not the ONLY solution, so when and how HODL might be applied may well differ from person to person, but hopefully we are not getting ourself into emotional states that are too far gone that we start to believe that HODL itself is a kind of an emotional state rather than a decision that is within one of our plan options.

Long term HODL should also not be too emotional, even though maybe there should be some decently good feelings if you may have built up your BTC position to such a status that it is giving you more options, even if you might not be choosing to exercise your options, but sometimes when we have a decently sized BTC stash, we might well feel free to either accumulate large amounts of cash or even to invest into some other kinds of assets with our incoming cashflow because we have largely already established our BTC position. .and we choose to mostly and perhaps not exclusively HODL it.

By the way, the timeline of NOT expecting quick returns may well likely help to establish that the first few years in bitcoin might be the most difficult while building up a bitcoin stash, and surely there are going to be some members who take a couple of cycles to build up their BTC stash. .and there is nothing wrong with that - especially considering that sometimes we may well have difficulties to either increase our income or to decrease our expenses in order that we might be able to buy more bitcoin, so we just have to figure out a level of purchase that is suitable for us.. and that there may be a lot of holding time that accompanies the building of a BTC stack.. including establishing ways to secure our stash through our own self-custody, even if we might not start out with self-custody until we learn some of the available options and figure out which options might be suitable to our own situations.

Thanks for being so explanatory to Hewlet. Although i did not see where you mentioned or stated the full meaning of HODL "Hold on For Dear Life," I was curious to hear what you will say it is as i have my own meaning which is as simple as HOLD LONG. HODL became the epitome of an investment approach to Bitcoin that avoids trading based on short-term price movements and gains. This approach reflects inexperienced traders are likely to screw up their attempts to time the market and lose money or make less than those who simply hold their coins.

The HODLers only are interested in just a particular thing, which is to eliminate the emotional states that come with investing.  These states are popularly known to be FOMO (fear of missing out) FUD (fear of uncertainty and doubt). These fears have led to so many investors to have sell their Bitcoin at a lower value, resulting in losses or reduced profits for investors in the long run.

Duelbits
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
///  PLAY FOR FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
PLAY NOW
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
Wind_FURY (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1825

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 07:13:36 PM

[bSelling Bitcoin is never a mistake but a choice[/b] which can either be regarded as a bad or good one which depends on the circumstances. We should not be against selling Bitcoin because most times we tend to buy Bitcoin before we hodl so if no one wants to sell we definitely can't hodl. Hodling is always regarded as the better option because it doesn't require any technicality unlike trading which does.

No it's not, but I'm absolutely confident many of those people who sold their Bitcoins during November, 2022 are definitely thinking that they made the wrong "choice" by selling Bitcoin. Plus I don't give financial advice to people except "buy the DIP and HODL", but if I were to give someone any advice, it would be = Don't sell your Bitcoin unless it's for life-changing money. Keep HODLing ser, don't let yourself be front-run by BlackRock, YOU do front-running. Cool

██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
.SHUFFLE.COM..███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
...Next Generation Crypto Casino...
Ruttoshi

Merit: 272

Baba God Noni

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 07:36:12 PM

Selling Bitcoin is never a mistake but a choice which can either be regarded as a bad or good one which depends on the circumstances.We should not be against selling Bitcoin
In this thread selling bitcoin is out of it because selling bitcoin is for traders and not for hodlers. How will you sell some fraction of your investment when you have not reach your bitcoin target. This means that you are not focus towards your bitcoin accumulation goal or you lack proper planning that have made you to investment aggressively and is short of cash, and your are left with no option that to sell.

It is not advisable as a newbie who just started his bitcoin journey to start talking or thinking of selling so early, ot means that he doesn't understand the basic concept of how to invest in bitcoin and make profit and such people will get distracted or might even make wrong decisions that will make them to regret their actions. This is why you should prevent and avoid whatever that might make you sell part of your bitcoin during accumulation period, by making sure that you figure out the right percentage that you will use to buy regular that won't affect your monthly expenses and you should have emergency funds in reserve to take care of whatever challenges that are bound to occur in life.

Staying focus on your bitcoin target goal is what will help you control your emotions when you know that it is important for you to reach your bitcoin target no matter the ups and downs in the market. This is because if you let your emotions to control you on every news you hear, you will get distracted. This is why the DCA method is their to combat whatever fear that our emotions would bring because you will see your bitcoin portfolio increasing with your own eyes.

Duelbits
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Falconer
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 08:02:36 PM

The best to accumulate and HODL is by buying  on the dip and HODL are a pair of strategy  that either well added to DCA and buying on dips. It is better to buy at anytime your money is available than to wait for the dip to come which is not certain,but going into Bitcoin market at the dip is often a very good time,then paticenly wait for the next bull, and if you have in mind that share price will definitely increase, and above the last rise.
Yes, buying sauce with DCA is a good combination of strategies for accumulation.
I don't know if you did it or you just told someone who basically has been doing it for a long time. Of course I am the one who uses that strategy so far and I am not afraid to do it as long as I have the budget. There is no need to wait for the ship to break, I mean the opportunity is always there depending on how you take advantage of it.

Today I saw a good dip to make accumulation, I have done it and only left 20% of the budget in case the decline continues. The anticipatory step when I was about to sleep was to place a buy order at the dip I want.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2023, 08:13:44 PM

That is bullshit.  

Thanks for being so explanatory to Hewlet. Although i did not see where you mentioned or stated the full meaning of HODL "Hold on For Dear Life," I was curious to hear what you will say it is as i have my own meaning which is as simple as HOLD LONG.

I think that I already addressed the question in the first few sentences of my earlier post.

>>>>>"That is bullshit.  

That was some no coiner gambler who came up with that characterization of HODL in order to wrongly imply some level of gambling and/or panic/stress that a HODLer needs to have."<<<<<<<

And, I went on to say more in response to the whole idea, attempted to put the idea of HODL into various contexts regarding when it might apply in response to some of what Hewlet had said about HODL.

HODL became the epitome of an investment approach to Bitcoin that avoids trading based on short-term price movements and gains.

Sure.  That is a reasonable interpretation.

This approach reflects inexperienced traders are likely to screw up their attempts to time the market and lose money or make less than those who simply hold their coins.

That's true, but I also am a BIG advocate of continuing to accumulate BTC, but sure there may well be sometimes when you are out of money or that you need your money for other things, so in that case it may well be better to HODL rather than selling your bitcoin, and if you are not in a position to buy then so be it.. just wait out the period until you might later be in a position to buy.

Sometimes a guy may have over accumulated BTC, so sometimes in those cases, it might be better to just HODL through some rough periods in BTC's price movement.  

Let's say that in mid-to-late 2020, someone had an overall investment portfolio of $100k, but that person did not have any BTC, so starting on around September 1, 2020, that person started to fairly aggressively buy BTC with about $120 to $220 per week, depending on cashflow and other circumstances, and maybe their budget should have had been that they ONLY should be buying around 10% to maybe 15% of BTC over the next year or two, but it ended up that by late August 2023, the person had accumulated a whole bitcoin, and maybe mistakes were made too so that the cost for getting that whole bitcoin was right around $30k...

so the person is feeling pretty good about having had accumulated a whole bitcoin in three years, but feeling pretty bad because s/he had invested way more than expected into bitcoin as compared to the rest of his her investment portfolio, and so s/he is starting to feel that his/her obsession to get a whole bitcoin had created some financial and psychological problems.. but the severity of the problems were still in some kind of a manageable range, and so the person needed to create a plan for going forward.

Maybe over the past three years, the total investment portfolio went up a bit in value and currently, the investment portfolio is $150k to $158k  ($120k non-bitcoin investments and $30k bitcoin ($35k to $38k in bitcoin based on recent BTC prices)).. so in the past several months, the person still feels way overinvested in bitcoin, so in recent times is just HODLing his/her bitcoin and not buying any more and not selling any either, but considering that maybe later, s/he might decide to continue with BTC investing, but at this moment s/he believes that s/he is a bit overexposed to bitcoin, even though the current BTC holdings are in profits, but s/he does not want to sell any bitcoin until it is at least more than 2x to 3x in profits, and even if s/he starts to sell BTC at something like a $60k to $90k prices, the projected amount sold would likely end up being just fractions of the valued of his/her BTC holdings, so largely the person may well be thinking that s/he might not want to accumulate any more BTC until some point later down the road.. either after the BTC has gone into the $60k to $90k territory or maybe if the BTC price were to drop below $24k, then maybe there is some fund that is being built up to buy BTC just in case that might happen.. but other than that, the plan is to just HODL through the various BTC prices between $24k and $60k unless something ends up changing in his/her overall situation..including another scenario in which s/he might invest in the non-bitcoin portion of his her investment portfolio until perhaps the value of that might go up to above $200k, which might trigger him/her to again rethink if s/he might start to buy BTC again at that time, if such events were to play out.  

These might not even be the right decisions for this person, but it is a HODL scenario, and I am not trying to point out any concrete actions that have to happen with such a person, but merely describing a kind of scenario in which a BTC accumulator might decide to outline some scenarios to just HODL through such BTC prices between $24k and $60k.. and or if the BTC price does not break out of that price range in the next 6 months, in one direction or another, then a reassessment might be due to take place in April 2024..  

Since about early September 2023, this same person was putting around $150 to $200 per week into a separate fund in order to be able to have money built up to either buy more BTC on the dip later on or to buy BTC at various points that such buying might be triggered, but for now, there is a bit of stress that needs to be resolved in terms of having had invested about 50% more into BTC as s/he had wanted to invest into BTC.. so there is a period of time in which that might need to resolve.

Another thing that this hypothetical person could do is to reduce his DCA by half.. so instead of buying between $120 and $220 per week of BTC, s/he might to start to feel more comfortable with buying between $90 and $120 per week, especially if s/he had been allowing the cash build up since the beginning of September, then s/he might have around $2k that has built up in his/her cash fund and maybe part could be dedicated towards buying on dips and the other part could continue with DCA, even though s/he is still feeling somewhat overallocated into BTC.

The HODLers only are interested in just a particular thing, which is to eliminate the emotional states that come with investing. 

Well if you perceive that you have enough BTC, then HODL might be amongst the best of the ways forward.

These states are popularly known to be FOMO (fear of missing out) FUD (fear of uncertainty and doubt). These fears have led to so many investors to have sell their Bitcoin at a lower value, resulting in losses or reduced profits for investors in the long run.

Ongoing buying of BTC within a kind of budget and also creating scenarios to buy or to sell BTC can surely help to deal with feelings of FOMO..and sometimes people will feel FOMO because they ended up being way too whimpy in their level of BTC investment... so if we take the above guy and if he had invested only half of the amount that he planned around $15k rather than $30k into BTC over the past three years, he might have felt anxious about our recent move from $27k to $38k in that he did not buy enough BTC, but since he had already decided that he had overspent on BTC, he was largely just letting his cash reserves build up and not necessarily going to FOMO into BTC, even though surely any newbie can get into a FOMO situation because of the euphoria of BTC price pumps... but I still think that the FOMO is worse for the whimpy investors as compared to the relatively (and hopefully reasonably) aggressive investors..

Makus

Merit: 215

Bitcoin!!

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2023, 09:11:50 PM
Merited by fillippone (1)

That was some no coiner gambler who came up with that characterization of HODL in order to wrongly imply some level of gambling and/or panic/stress that a HODLer needs to have."<<<<<<<

I wonder where they got the idea from that holding means "hold on for dear life" I mean how did dey arrive at this conclusion, though we know bitcoin is more of long term holding but how can someone hold bitcoin without having a plan from the start or along his/her accumulation journey, they say " if you fail to plan you plan you to fail" so a holder without a goal to achieve with his/her bitcoin by the end of their accumulation journey is either making investment for their children/next of kin, that is if they have his mnemonic phrase and private key or they are just making investment  to keep the system running if anything happens to them.

so the person is feeling pretty good about having had accumulated a whole bitcoin in three years, but feeling pretty bad because s/he had invested way more than expected into bitcoin as compared to the rest of his her investment portfolio

I don't think over accumulating bitcoin even after setting an accumulation target should make the person feel pretty bad because, having such a great bitcoin portfolio is the dream of many investors, both new and old, it should be consider a privilege because your having 1 complete original coin. Slowing down would be the worst option, why would any one reduce their bitcoin accumulation for any shitcoin?
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 408 »
  Print  

Jump to: