Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:45:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping the heat out, summer time mining...  (Read 541 times)
NCarter84 (OP)

Activity: 195
Merit: 4

View Profile
May 15, 2019, 11:22:13 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

So, I jumped on this mining train in December of 2017 and have stuck around since... Ever so slowly, adding cards... As cards came on.. The heat in the house kept getting worse... I made it through last summer, enjoyed the winter and the free heat... But, here we are coming up on summer again here in the US/Mid West. So, I took it in my own hands... Grow tent idea but wife didn't like it... So built this thing up.

My Box:

My Fan In the Window:

Air Flow:

Final Product

To start, I only had the large fan in the window pulling air... I was happy with it, but I went ahead and added an inline booster fan. Once that was completd, my box went from 104 degrees to 95 degrees (internal) and the room temp has dropped a half a degree. Downstairs is currently 72 degrees and the room with the GPUs in it is under 79 degrees at this point.

Also, the GPU temps are very good with the inline fan running as they dropped around 4 degrees total in the 1st hour of running.

I believe this is the 1st time I've ever started a topic here... Amongst the minds of the brilliant... I hope I have brought value to the community and new creative ways to continue the dream...

Enjoy!

-N

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CLywaTeLb

Activity: 770
Merit: 101

send and receive money instantly, no hidden costs

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 06:38:04 AM

Good work. You have spent some time and money on this.
But was it not easier to install air conditioning? In the summer, the costs would increase by some amount (power for the conditioner is more than for the fan). At the same time, the air conditioner can dry the air a little.

adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 07:30:52 AM

Good work. You have spent some time and money on this.
But was it not easier to install air conditioning? In the summer, the costs would increase by some amount (power for the conditioner is more than for the fan). At the same time, the air conditioner can dry the air a little.

Miners almost never use air conditioning in their homes. The reason why is because it would use too much power and make it unprofitable. Even if the profitability was very high and the air conditioning only was a small fraction of the cost, then it wouldn't be able to keep up with getting all the heat out if you had massive amount of GPUs.

The best way is to have an intake and exhaust type setup and have good ventilation. It might be hot and unliveable in that room, so you will need to sleep elsewhere but the GPUs can survive higher temps than humans.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
FoBoT

Activity: 658
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 07:50:32 AM

Your arrangement is very good and it can really help to reduce heat but i am thinking that the wooden box could get damaged or burnt over time due to excessive heat
I often move my mining to the car garage outside the living room during the summer period,
CLywaTeLb

Activity: 770

send and receive money instantly, no hidden costs

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 11:59:17 AM

[cut out]

Miners almost never use air conditioning in their homes. The reason why is because it would use too much power and make it unprofitable. Even if the profitability was very high and the air conditioning only was a small fraction of the cost, then it wouldn't be able to keep up with getting all the heat out if you had massive amount of GPUs.

The best way is to have an intake and exhaust type setup and have good ventilation. It might be hot and unliveable in that room, so you will need to sleep elsewhere but the GPUs can survive higher temps than humans.
Yes, you are right, air conditioning is expensive. But there are such cases for the GPUs.

In this case, the mining farm should not be located in the room. In addition to excessive heat, there may be electromagnetic radiation, which with prolonged exposure can cause some disease.

shiming

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 12:59:58 PM

Strong hands-on ability. Cooling down may be a very good way. In summer, I also like air conditioning, but the electricity bill is too expensive. I recommend that the basement cool down is also very good....

NCarter84 (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 01:02:40 PM

Adding an AC is and was not an option. That is just more power and more heat.

As far as the $ cost to build this, I had the fan already and used it last summer... It would keep the room a balmy 97-107 F, depending on the day... Even with the door closed, it made the whole house warm. Thus, this is where I came up with this idea. I basically put 50$ of wood into this and a 50$ booster fan... Over the course of the summer, this should cause the heat level of the house to decrease which in return will allow the AC not to work as hard or as much.

I have the inline booster fan on a spare smart plug so I can turn it on/off as needed through out the day...

If this box can keep that room with the door closed under 85 degrees in the summer... It's gonna be a good year Smiley
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 02:16:15 PM

Serious miners are in locations that don't require additional costs for cooling.  You maybe should quit mining or only do it in the colder months for the free heat.
Harai Goshi

Activity: 36
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 02:54:41 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Serious miners are in locations that don't require additional costs for cooling.  You maybe should quit mining or only do it in the colder months for the free heat.

That's kinda harsh...

There's a place for "serious" miners.  There's also a place for "Hobby" miners.   

I have 120 GPUs running in a couple locations, including my house ... does that qualify me as "serious"?  I have no idea... but I dont really think so.  I think of it as something more along the lines of ... say... golf.  A hobby I take seriously and spend a ton of money on, but I still suck at it.  At least I dont throw GPUs into lakes like I do clubs.
NCarter84 (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 09:32:14 PM

That's kinda harsh...

I have 120 GPUs running in a couple locations, including my house ... does that qualify me as "serious"?  I have no idea... but I dont really think so.  I think of it as something more along the lines of ... say... golf.  A hobby I take seriously and spend a ton of money on, but I still suck at it.  At least I dont throw GPUs into lakes like I do clubs.

No doubt dude... I bet you there are more non serious miners than the serious miners that live in areas that don't need something like this.

Every gpu matters... I'm just trying to help the next one in line. This thing made my wife happy and I bet it will make someone else's wife happy too.
TheHas

Activity: 616
Merit: 167

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 03:11:21 AM

As I've always been told in mining - it is more important to take the heat off your rigs, rather than trying to put cool air on.

Great airflow is so important in summer.
Michail9090

Activity: 560
Merit: 100

Change Your Worlds Build a New Era!

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 06:22:02 AM

I have 2 air conditioners in the server room, and 4 miners on the 48Th, quite copes. electricity free

Orionix        |│        The Future of Gaming Comission Free Games And Items Exchange
[   YOUTUBE   ]      [ AIRDROP ]      [    DISCORD    ]
WHITEPAPER                       TWITTER                       TELEGRAM                       ANN THREAD
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 07:49:53 AM

I have 2 air conditioners in the server room, and 4 miners on the 48Th, quite copes. electricity free

I think your work is in the server place and you can install the mining tools that you have on the server, so you can make the most of your workplace, but you have to be able to configure it neatly so that your boss doesn't get caught.
Iykecollinz
Copper Member

Activity: 294
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 10:09:29 AM

I think this is quite consume a lot of electricity too, In countries where electricity payment is through prepaid and based on usage will have to pay very huge to keep this farm running, I do not know how much you earn from here by estimate but I am sure it would be worth it compared to all the utility cost

Coffeehot

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 12:30:57 PM

Novec liquid, it is a 3M product. u can soak the mine in the Novec liquid. it is the most effective way to dissipate heat. Bitmain is doing the same thing.

veil                            /////  PRIVACY WITHOUT COMPROMISE.  /////
https://veil-project.com/
r32godzilla

Activity: 1360
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 02:17:50 PM

You can now effort to spend more for cooling because mined Bitcoin / altcoins you can sell for much higher price, maybe this caused price growth?  Cheesy

▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀███▄▄
      ▄██▀▀          ▀▀██▄
     ██▀       ██       ▀██
    ██        ██          ██
   ██        ██   ██       ██
  ▐█▌       ██ ▄▄▄ ██      ▐█▌
  ██       ██  ███  ██      ██
  ▐█▌     ██         ██    ▐█▌
   ██    ██           ██   ██
    ██  ▀▀             ▀▀ ██
     ██▄                ▄██
      ▀██▄▄          ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
             ▀▀▀▀▀▀
.Akoin.....ONE AFRICA. ONE KOIN..
█▀▀

█▄▄

▀▀█

▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

.Telegram....
Harai Goshi

Activity: 36
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 02:20:44 PM

That's kinda harsh...

No doubt dude... I bet you there are more non serious miners than the serious miners that live in areas that don't need something like this.

Every gpu matters... I'm just trying to help the next one in line. This thing made my wife happy and I bet it will make someone else's wife happy too.

Happy wife, happy life.  Or at least...UNhappy wife = UNhappy life.

As such, my quality of life improved IMMENSELY when I moved the asic noise elsewhere =D
evlo

Activity: 155

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 04:05:43 PM

200F is pretty safe for GPU, no ext. cooling required
Hamphser

Activity: 2464
Merit: 325

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 08:06:58 PM

If he do mines without minding too much about profitability but rather making this as a sort of hobby then quitting wont be possible yet he had made

some good arrangement with his GPU's and same as you said if you are serious with mining you would considerate the condition of your place when it comes to climate.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
miner29

Activity: 1261
Merit: 138

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 08:25:36 PM

Will add no reason for AC of any type.  Just need enough air flow.  200cfm or less as is shown seems minor.  I run bigger boxes but pull 4000-6000cfm and do not use preconditioned air...even if its 40c+ doesnt over heat a single gpu and dont even have to reduce OC settings. 

IT IS ALL ABOUT MOVING ENOUGH AIR!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: