Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:58:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poloniex's taking money from its customers to cover its loss  (Read 2381 times)
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
October 21, 2020, 10:00:15 PM
Merited by malevolent (2)

"New owner" Circle looks polite, i don't know why they don't give your money back
Good luck!

Don't trust his smile. Wink

Justin Sun bought Poloniex dirt cheap as a pump machine for Tron. As soon as it was acquired, they listed TRX. Then they released wrapped BTC on Tron. Then they acquired Tron's biggest non-custodial exchange. Then they de-listed Tron competitors. Then they launched a Tron-only IEO platform. Probably other stuff too.

He's hiding Polo in the Seychelles and still playing by the rules of the wild west. You think he has any interest in paying off Circle's old debts? I don't.....

Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 22, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

He's hiding Polo in the Seychelles and still playing by the rules of the wild west. You think he has any interest in paying off Circle's old debts? I don't.....

Did you have any luck after contacting some lawyers that you mentioned having contacted last year? I take it that you didn't by the tone of your post but I'm still curious.

Signature space available for rent.
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
October 22, 2020, 04:14:28 PM

News? Did you get the money back?

No, I didn't!
Nobody got his money back. Poloniex's a real gang of thieves. Stay away from that exchange.
"New owner" Circle looks polite, i don't know why they don't give your money back
Good luck!
I hope that you understand that neither the new or old owner actually has your money. The coin was lost because of loan losses.

I would not be surprised if the transaction was structured in a way such that the new owner is insulted from any claims from the margin losses, regardless of what they have promised to do for those who lost coin.
exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2020, 11:28:41 PM
Merited by malevolent (1)

Did you have any luck after contacting some lawyers that you mentioned having contacted last year? I take it that you didn't by the tone of your post but I'm still curious.

You might have me confused with the OP. I didn't lose anything in this affair. I've just been keeping tabs on Poloniex.

I remember the OP saying he spoke with an attorney who felt he had a case, but without a larger class action type suit the amount in question wasn't worth the legal costs.

I would not be surprised if the transaction was structured in a way such that the new owner is insulted from any claims from the margin losses, regardless of what they have promised to do for those who lost coin.

Legally that's not possible, in regards to the victims' civil claims. The new owners have the same legal exposure the original company did. It's possible that as a term of the acquisition the new owners stipulated that the original owners pay any related settlement or legal costs, but that would be very unorthodox.

I think it would be more reasonable to assume they bought Poloniex dirt cheap with the stipulation that Circle be protected from any legal claims. Circle wanted to wash their hands of Poloniex entirely.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 22, 2020, 11:55:34 PM

I can't believe any deal or liability with Justin Goddamn Sun monitoring from a nearby wardrobe is going to be legit in any way. I'd love to know whether this particular shitshow came up in negotiations and was discussed at length or whether both parties just shrugged and moved on.
exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2020, 06:52:14 PM

I can't believe any deal or liability with Justin Goddamn Sun monitoring from a nearby wardrobe is going to be legit in any way. I'd love to know whether this particular shitshow came up in negotiations and was discussed at length or whether both parties just shrugged and moved on.

I believe Circle took it extremely seriously. I feel they viewed it as a real liability, and that it was one of the reasons they wanted to be rid of Poloniex, at a dirt cheap price if needed.

Justin Sun on the other hand is probably hiding his interest in Poloniex through a maze of shell companies in different countries. With Poloniex registered in the Seychelles and no real fiat markets (no custodial bank accounts tied to the exchange) I'm sure he feels very insulated from any legal recovery effort. What was a big fat liability to Circle was a write-off to him.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 23, 2020, 06:58:17 PM

I believe Circle took it extremely seriously. I feel they viewed it as a real liability, and that it was one of the reasons they wanted to be rid of Poloniex, at a dirt cheap price if needed.

Justin Sun on the other hand is probably hiding his interest in Poloniex through a maze of shell companies in different countries. With Poloniex registered in the Seychelles and no real fiat markets (no custodial bank accounts tied to the exchange) I'm sure he feels very insulated from any legal recovery effort. What was a big fat liability to Circle was a write-off to him.

Shame Circle didn't take the actual running of the exchange seriously at any point. I'm long past using it but I did pay attention to their tenure and amazingly absolutely nothing had changed, and then they dropped this on their users.

If I were a VC type my taps would be turned off if they came a begging. They didn't have much cred before, then they buried it completely.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 23, 2020, 09:53:10 PM

You might have me confused with the OP. I didn't lose anything in this affair. I've just been keeping tabs on Poloniex.

I remember the OP saying he spoke with an attorney who felt he had a case, but without a larger class action type suit the amount in question wasn't worth the legal costs.
lost coin.

You're right, I confused you two. I found a telegram link, and I saw similar things being said, ie. complicated/expensive. Apparently figuring out which jurisdiction applies is (still) a problem...

Signature space available for rent.
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
October 27, 2020, 03:34:29 PM
Merited by malevolent (2)

Actually, nobody's totally sure of what happened.

We know what Poloniex said, but a guy I exchanged with on Telegram said he has proof it was a theft.
We shall remember that it took Poloniex 10 full days to react, and explain what happened. Why did it take so long?

Poloniex at first said it was fully commited to reimburse anyone, and then nothing for over a year.

The only thing for sure is that you shall stay away from that exchange. Even more so with the new owner.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2020, 08:57:58 PM

Actually, nobody's totally sure of what happened.

We know what Poloniex said, but a guy I exchanged with on Telegram said he has proof it was a theft.
We shall remember that it took Poloniex 10 full days to react, and explain what happened. Why did it take so long?

I assume they were in damage control mode, figuring out their legal options and obligations, deciding whether and how to socialize the losses, etc.

Did you ever see this supposed proof? I would take it with a grain of salt if not. I don't believe there was a corresponding hot wallet withdrawal at the time, or any other signs that it was related to a hack.

Poloniex at first said it was fully commited to reimburse anyone, and then nothing for over a year.

That's Circle for you. They've been all over the place for years. I think they had high hopes for Poloniex, then saw that volume completely died after the 2017 bubble popped, and eventually decided they wanted nothing to do with the altcoin exchange business. I think this margin lending disaster was just another thing pushing them to get out.

countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
November 02, 2020, 03:54:19 PM

That's Circle for you. They've been all over the place for years. I think they had high hopes for Poloniex, then saw that volume completely died after the 2017 bubble popped, and eventually decided they wanted nothing to do with the altcoin exchange business. I think this margin lending disaster was just another thing pushing them to get out.

I know the whole story very well, I was a Poloniex user for many years, long before Circle bought it. Actually, I'm sure nothing would have happened if the smart guy who had created Poloniex was still in command, but we can't change the past, and considering Poloniex's new owner doesn't want to correct what's wrong, the only advice is to stay away from that exchange.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
HPt

Activity: 70
Merit: 15

View Profile
May 06, 2021, 08:54:17 PM

Poloniex does not only socialize losses but also actively enriches itself on the expense of its customers:
https://medium.com/@HjalmarPeters/how-poloniex-enriches-itself-by-screwing-its-customers-2002b61dced0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  

Jump to: