Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:17:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Matthew, I wish to present you a gift.  (Read 7299 times)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 03:47:18 PM

I don't really know who you are, but is English your second language?  If it is that's cool, I can't imagine talking in your primary language, but you should cut out the big words, most of them don't mean what you seem to think they mean. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ALPHA. (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 04:06:48 PM

I don't really know who you are, but is English your second language?  If it is that's cool, I can't imagine talking in your primary language, but you should cut out the big words, most of them don't mean what you seem to think they mean. 
Give some examples, please.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 05:34:32 PM

Well gift is something given with no expectation of repayment.  A favor is generally something given with expectation of it being paid back, as in repay the favor.  

Unilateral decision means one of two or more sides, you are speaking about people in general in the sentence you used it in, there is no other side.  A better word would be unanimous, which means in complete agreement, which fits the context of what you were trying to say much better.  

Additionally, your talk of "creating value" is odd, you don't create value.  You create or do things that are valued, or have value, you don't create value.  

Also your writing style in general is odd, the many sentence fragments really break up the rhythm of what you are trying to say.  I also saw what you said about not agreeing with the definition of the words, but that just doesn't make sense.  It's the definition whether you agree or not, isn't it?

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 05:58:08 PM

Not to take sides, but I found this post interesting, then compelled to Google "creating value" (included quotes). With over 2M results, I opted to link to this one: http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2011/09/29/markels-management-is-creating-value.aspx

As always, context is king. 

You are all capable of creating tremendous value!
versus
A positive EVA momentum reading means a company has created more value by increasing its EVA while a negative EVA momentum reading means EVA has decreased, signaling less value creation...

There is a reason most of those links were to dry business documents  Wink

ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 06:12:36 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2011, 06:36:29 PM by ALPHA.

Well gift is something given with no expectation of repayment.  A favor is generally something given with expectation of it being paid back, as in repay the favor.  

I disagree on principle. I give gifts because the repayment is inherent; the value of the person I'm giving to.

Unilateral decision means one of two or more sides, you are speaking about people in general in the sentence you used it in, there is no other side.  A better word would be unanimous, which means in complete agreement, which fits the context of what you were trying to say much better.  

I agree with you here. Unanimous is the better choice of word. Thanks. : )

Additionally, your talk of "creating value" is odd, you don't create value.  You create or do things that are valued, or have value, you don't create value.
Once again, I disagree on principle. People go into an exchange to receive more than what they had before; value is created.

Also your writing style in general is odd, the many sentence fragments really break up the rhythm of what you are trying to say.  I also saw what you said about not agreeing with the definition of the words, but that just doesn't make sense.  It's the definition whether you agree or not, isn't it?

Yeah, it could use some work.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 06:55:58 PM

When you say humility is for the weak, you ignore the most imporant aspects (bold converted to emphasis, my own bolding added):

1. Submitting to God and legitimate authority.

2. Recognizing virtues and talents that others possess, particularly those that surpass one's own (sounds like stockholm jealousy), and giving due honor (Since when is honor owed? I value people because I want to.) and, when required, obedience

3. Recognizing the limits of one's talents, ability, or authority (Forget authority. I rule nobody and nobody rules me); and, not reaching for what is beyond one's grasp.

Without humility, it is impossible to exchange value to everybody's mutual benefit.

However, since you seem to have a strange definition of "value", maybe my argument doesn't apply.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 06:56:41 PM

I give gifts because the repayment is inherent; the value of the person I'm giving to.

I see where you're coming from, and I'm with you.  But what I'm saying is, repayment for a gift is different from that of a favor.  When you are doing someone a favor, equal(ish) value is expected to be returned at some point (calling in a favor).  Which is putting them in your debt (a matter of dignity for those who don't like owing others).  A gift has no such stigma associated with it, regardless of what is received.      

ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 07:02:37 PM

When you say humility is for the weak, you ignore the most imporant aspects (bold converted to emphasis, my own bolding added):

1. Submitting to God and legitimate authority.

2. Recognizing virtues and talents that others possess, particularly those that surpass one's own (sounds like stockholm jealousy), and giving due honor (Since when is honor owed? I value people because I want to.) and, when required, obedience

3. Recognizing the limits of one's talents, ability, or authority (Forget authority. I rule nobody and nobody rules me); and, not reaching for what is beyond one's grasp.

Without humility, it is impossible to exchange value to everybody's mutual benefit.

However, since you seem to have a strange definition of "value", maybe my arguement doesn't apply.

I value people and their virtues so I am humble? I know I am human so I am humble?
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2011, 07:10:22 PM

You may have noticed the defintions of humility you quoted don't mention value.

Everybody has things they are better at than the average person, while conversely, everybody has things they are worse at than the average person. People humble enough to recongnize this can exchange goods and services to their mutual benefit. If you do not recognize your limits or the ablilites of others, any exchange you enter into will likely be inefficient and sub-optimal.

To force people to accept a sub-optimal exchange involves coersion.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 07:13:52 PM

Everybody has things they are better at than the average person, while conversely, everybody has things they are worse at than the average person. People humble enough to recongnize this can exchange goods and services to their mutual benefit. If you do not recognize your limits or the ablilites of others, any exchange you enter into will likely be inefficient and sub-optimal.

So people who are not humble steal?
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 07:19:51 PM

I like your math, son. 2+2=23p7548-98875=60943;nksdf;dsfg;m ds; ,m ;mp /;,mcx,h
ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 07:30:10 PM

Well, the whole definition of humility at this point is 3p7548-98875=60943;nksdf;dsfg;m ds; ,m ;mp /;,mcx,h. It's not consistent.

humble:

1. not proud or arrogant; modest: to be humble although successful.
2. having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience, etc.: In the presence of so many world-famous writers I felt very humble.
3. low in rank, importance, status, quality, etc.; lowly: of humble origin; a humble home.

This is what I am going by.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 07:50:55 PM

Considering your aversion to humility and the fact that you indeed stole, the answer seems self-evident.
ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 07:53:09 PM

Considering your aversion to humility and the fact that you indeed stole, the answer seems self-evident.
I swear on my life that I haven't stolen anything of value.
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:02:13 PM

Theft is theft regardless of value

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:03:56 PM

I couldn't care less. I haven't revoked any significant value from anybody. If there is no victim, why should I care?  I'll steal all I damn please if it doesn't cost anybody anything.

No victim, no problem.

Victimless crimes are only marks of tyranny.
deslok

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:10:08 PM

I couldn't care less. I haven't revoked any significant value from anybody. If there is no victim, why should I care?  I'll steal all I damn please if it doesn't cost anybody anything.

No victim, no problem.

Victimless? a crime has a victim by definition

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:11:41 PM

No victim, no problem.

The crime of stealing something that has no value is victimless and hence not a crime. The state and the sheep can whine about it insulting their sensibilities all they want but their claim has no merit.
deslok

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:14:43 PM

No victim, no problem.

The crime of stealing something that has no objective value is victimless and hence not a crime.
The value of anything stolen is determined by the rightful owner not the thief, if the rightful owner did not contester it of any value it would be given freely and not something that could be stolen in the first place.

ALPHA. (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2011, 08:17:07 PM

No victim, no problem.

The crime of stealing something that has no objective value is victimless and hence not a crime.
The value of anything stolen is determined by the rightful owner not the thief, if the rightful owner did not contester it of any value it would be given freely and not something that could be stolen in the first place.
Well, they did give their sub-fractions of pennies in electricity voluntarily by accepting to run any software that was on my blog. Thank you for clearing this up: I haven't stolen from anybody.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: