Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:03:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointa.lk, the Bitcointalk community with a 2014 forum software  (Read 20727 times)
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 09:34:48 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2014, 12:49:53 PM by cedivad

I've spent most of my free time since when i woke up with the news spreading of the closure of MtGox on a project for an alternative forum. So, here it is.

The goal is to decentralize the Bitcointalk community by providing alternative means to access and post with the same group of people. The community you interact with is still the same, the difference is the forum software.

Bitcointalk.org is synched in real time with Bitcointa.lk, thanks for a set of web crawlers that i wrote. By simply sending a PM to a Bitcointalk.org user, you can verify your identity and link your account with the Bitcointa.lk one. You will then be able to read the Bitcointalk community from Bitcointa.lk.
Moreover, if you decide to make the jump and install a browser extension (open source (GitHub); it's needed to bypass the same origin policy of your browser), you will be able to post on Bitcointa.lk; the extension will take care of posting the same exact message on Bitcointalk.org.

Bitcointa.lk uses a recent forum software, namely XenForo, so you will have a faster navigation experience and more features. In other words, a completely renovated forum.

Every kind of feedback is welcome. Thank you for your time.

(Yes, obviously this thread was posted from Bitcointa.lk Wink)
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #HRSYr8JTlTnk6kdQ

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 02:44:09 AM

I dont really see what the point is because we can simply just come and post here...

Interesting idea anyways.

cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 09:17:51 AM
Last edit: March 15, 2014, 09:27:52 AM by cedivad

The point is to decentralize the community, provide a viable alternative and a fantastic user experience.
If you give it a shoot you will never come back.

Its like saying that both a FIAT 500 and a luxury car will drive you from point a to point b. Yes, sure, the point is that the 500 will break down in the meanwhile (502 gateway errors), and you won't be able to enjoy the voyage.

(this is how the Italian community is receiving the project, i'm really happy of it)

Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #Y2MrWNY24591Rv42

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
niktitan132
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 09:54:08 AM

Looks nice,gonna use it!  Grin

Thank you for this! Smiley
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 09:57:36 AM

how dow your forum handles post/threads which are deleted here by mods?
for me it would add a real benefit if i would be able to see them on yours (maybe in a different section)
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:08:26 AM

As of now, nothing happens. The post is downloaded a few seconds after the first time it's posted here on Bitcointalk.org (almost in real time) and is never updated.
Since that it's a feature that everyone is asking for, i'm working on an intelligent way to update those posts.

However, it won't delete them from public view completely. There will be some fancy way of noting that the post was removed from Bitcointalk.org, but it will be completely visible. The same goes for post history; it will be publicly available.

For example, HashFast decided to self-moderate their last thread. The Bitcointalk.org version has 247 replies, Bitcointa.lk has 455 (!!!).
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #ZbdBYzaDJND7WAek

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 10:29:59 AM

What's the pm linking do?

cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:33:34 AM

What's the pm linking do?
To protect your privacy, there is no PM linking. I don't want to be theorically able to read your PM, since that i know what kind of private PMs are being sent here on Bitcointalk.org. However, every time that the browser extension fetches a page on Bitcointalk.org, it will check if you have unread ones. If you do, it will report it back on Bitcointa.lk. Again, no PM is readable from the extension.

I might provide an opt-in option to synch PMs in the future, for the brave of you.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #4MTXATJ2Cg0ZLVXe

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 12:53:04 AM

Seems like a lot of work for potentially very little upside, but hey. Backups are always useful, you never know.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 06:56:41 PM

I enjoyed the work i did on this project and i'm now obviously using it on a daily basis, loving the features.
However it really looks like that spending two minutes to link an account and install a browser extension is too much to ask for the advantages it would bring.

People who made the jump are happy with the results, but there are really a few of them.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #vU5AqHnal8tW6MWM

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 07:06:49 PM

I like this. it will be a backup of Bitcointalk. Great way to see what self moderated threads have deleted.
Thanks for your effort!
instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:14:26 PM

I like this. it will be a backup of Bitcointalk. Great way to see what self moderated threads have deleted.
Thanks for your effort!

+1 Nice idea!
bigtimespaghetti
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

bigtimespaghetti.com

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 01:12:08 PM

This is exactly what this forum needs. I hope you can generate some revenue from ads to recompense you for your work.

I'll be checking it out!

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
       ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
    ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░   ░░▒▓█
    █▓░   ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
     █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
   █▓▒░     ░▒▓█
Physical Coin Making Guide Book and eBook- Make your own physical crypto coins and wallets!
  ▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
    ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
  █▓░     ░░▒▓█
█▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░▒▓█

▓▒░   ░░▒▓▓
     ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
   ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
        ▓▒░    ░░▒▓█
     █▓░     ░░▒▓█
  █▓▒░     ░░▒▓█
instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:51:02 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2014, 07:05:24 PM by instacash

Thanks for your effort!

+1 Nice idea!

cedivad, I'd like to highly recommend you to disable the feature of deleting posts

This way, bitcointa.lk is a truly interesting achieve which will enable anyone to gain insight into what was removed from self moderated threads etc. without the owners being able to delete it over at bitcointa.lk.
cedivad (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 07:24:58 PM

As of now someone would have to register on Bitcointa.lk to remove (from public view only) their posts.
Now registered users can see posts that were removed with this method.

However this has to be implemented in a better way by synching moderation activities from Bitcointalk.org, the goal would be to leave everyone able to see removed/edited posts, comparing the history, etc.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #3HnCJawG2fBoUw9J

Evolyn

Activity: 376
Merit: 312

Can you say... nighty-night?

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:54:16 AM

This is the most awesome thing I've seen for a while. Just being able to read deleted posts is priceless. Sad, i can't find a donation address. Thank you for your hard work. Keep it up! Hope you don't mind if I put a link into my signature Wink

Forex meets Bitcoin Exchange: Release the Kraken
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 04:11:17 AM

I dont really see what the point is because we can simply just come and post here...

Interesting idea anyways.

Don't see the point? You want to keep using several years old SMF version with a lack a features you could barely now call this software a bulletin board to begin with. New forum software has nice features, color, a much better user experience then you'll get here.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:27:19 AM

Oh yeah, first post with the Bitcointa.lk system! Great job, great contribution. Thanks!
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #uMVZwFyOFyEPTPTk

opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 04:41:01 AM

I'm using the new software now, and I feel like I'm back at 2014 instead of 2005. What a difference in just navigating and reading. I can read twice as much within the same time it took me on the "old" site by utilizing the features and options here. Very good job and I really hope this stays up. The operators at bitcointalk should at least consider this temporarily and pay you for your work so far. By all means, they have enough money. Millions.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #eD1AqAdeEYzllFbs

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:42:34 AM

I agree! I even got a super cool notification of your response to this thread! Smiley
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #njT393rHNvxPEYjg

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: