Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:53:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What alts should I research and invest in?  (Read 668 times)
dogeforlife (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:40:46 AM

I have followed bitcoin for some time but mostly watched alt coins from afar until DOGE came out. I see a lot of options in the market now and would like to diversify my portfolio but am frankly timid due to the sheer volume of options. Can the community suggest some alts that I should research for potential investment? Please let me know why you suggest it (plus vs minus). Thank you.
shtako

Activity: 779
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:56:08 AM

You should consider trade volum, lifespan and innovation. I would only recommand peercoin.
dogeforlife (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 11:04:06 AM

You should consider trade volum, lifespan and innovation. I would only recommand peercoin.

Yes, I have watched Peercoin for some time now. The one thing that makes me cautious is that I am leery of inflation and have been unable to pinpoint the current yearly inflation rate. I know, funny coming from a DOGE fan but I am not looking for another DOGE, rather complimentary crypto-currencies to diversify my portfolio. I understand that the goal is to achieve a 1% annual inflation rate through Proof of Stake (which I think is excellent) but am not sure what the current rate is and when the end result target of 1% will be reached. If you can help or point me in the right direction to determine this, I would be appreciative.
shtako

Activity: 779
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 11:35:24 AM

Go to peercointalk.org and check out the forum. You will get much better answers there.  Smiley
Jomppe

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 05:10:18 PM

WorldCoin would be excellent addition.
Roughly 260 000 000 coins will be minted, now about 18 % of that is minted already. A lot of serivces are being introduced - the community developes the coin very effectively.
The coin is stable and really fast - the transaction gets the first confirmation only within 30 seconds or less and the network is really solid and stable - there hardly is orphan blocks.
WDC has the best name of all the cryptos, the community is strong and the coin is technically the most advanced among all the cryptos.
Crypto Whale

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 05:14:50 PM

WDC has the best name of all the cryptos
Im a wolrdcoin holder and would say it has great potential but the best name? hmm that's debatable I myself like smartcoin alot better for a name.
dogeforlife (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 06:39:46 PM

WorldCoin would be excellent addition.
Roughly 260 000 000 coins will be minted, now about 18 % of that is minted already. A lot of serivces are being introduced - the community developes the coin very effectively.
The coin is stable and really fast - the transaction gets the first confirmation only within 30 seconds or less and the network is really solid and stable - there hardly is orphan blocks.
WDC has the best name of all the cryptos, the community is strong and the coin is technically the most advanced among all the cryptos.

Worldcoin is certainly interesting as well, thank you for the suggestion. Couple concerns on my end though. You mention stability more than once. Has this coin ever forked? I thought I recalled a couple instances? Another major concern I have is its history. I recall the UNOCS fiasco, wasn't WDC involved in this? Also, I did actually pick up some WDC a month ago (which is in cold storage) after reading about the coming soon news of Scharmbeck. My understanding was that this service would allow WDC to act as a easy gateway between fiat and crypto-currencies. Did this service launch? I would love to hear more, especially in response to my outlined concerns... thanks.

Any others I should be aware of? I like how the suggestions so far have been crypto-currencies that have been around for some time. I do however also have interest in some of the newer ones, but far less awareness with them because of the sheer number.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 06:54:25 PM

so many that can catch one big break and go mad in price.... who knows... hold a few of all coins with solid devs and communities...

obviously a couple of btc ( as much as you can afford i guess for me i don't have many of these)

ltc, doge, qrk,  ppc  - these have to be reasonable bets ... i hold  a lot of the first 3 and a bit of ppc.  I mined them mostly thats why i have more.

A few old ones that have a following and dedicated dev team that have stuck around.

cgb, dgc, mec, adt2, phs , dmd, hobo, ifc, tix .... some there that are kind of gambles too

real gamble coins.... more chance of huge profits but could vanish -

these can be anything really... i like of like small mintings as well because the price can go wild at the slightest thing. Or they could pass away..

qqc, icoin, applecoin,  vel if they can get fixed up

beecoin because i just thought it was such a fair launch and community is trying to get some new stuff done. You could buy at between 1-10 on the ltc market so scooped up a few and will try to help that community.

wallstreetcoiner

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:08:06 PM

I have followed bitcoin for some time but mostly watched alt coins from afar until DOGE came out. I see a lot of options in the market now and would like to diversify my portfolio but am frankly timid due to the sheer volume of options. Can the community suggest some alts that I should research for potential investment? Please let me know why you suggest it (plus vs minus). Thank you.

Best of luck filtering through these replies. And I mean that with a heart-felt sincerity.

After spending hundreds of hours researching various altcoins, I stumbled across a coin with a very interesting developer, a developer calling himself akumaburn. Finding information on him was harder that learning about Satoshi himself. Apparently this was by design, as he prefers to work alone and in secret. Like the great cue maker Gus Szamboti, he does not seek fame or fortune but instead strives to create the most perfect altcoin code.

He has recently revealed that he's nearing completion of a new Goldcoin (GLD) client that includes an updated version of his 51% defense and a rewriting of much of the original Satoshi code. I suggest you try to find out more about this man, his code, and his goldcoin.

If the new client turns out to be as great as some experts are expecting, this goldcoin could surge to fantastic heights this spring when the newest source code is released.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:14:01 PM

Best of luck filtering through these replies. And I mean that a heart-felt sincerity.

After spending hundreds of hours researching various altcoins, I was stumbled across a coin with a very interesting developer, a developer calling himself akumaburn. Finding information on him was harder that learning about Satoshi himself. Apparently this was by design, as he prefers to work alone and in secret. Like the great cue maker Gus Szamboti, he does not seek fame or fortune but instead strives to create the most perfect altcoin code.

He has recently revealed that he's nearing completion of a new Goldcoin (GLD) client that includes an updated version of his 51% defense and a rewriting of much of the original Satoshi code. I suggest you try to find out more about this man, his code, and his goldcoin.

If the new client turns out to be a great as some experts are expecting, this goldcoin could surge to fantastic heights this spring when the source code is released.

source code released?? won't that just mean every other clone just rips this off? i have some gld and like the name but is there a reason to do all of that work then make it open source? i guess nxt would have been cloned 1000 x now if they really released the source.

El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:18:52 PM

Coins with actual volume

The only alt coin with daily volume over $1 million is litecoin.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
delusiona1

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:43:56 PM

http://heavycoin.github.io/

HVC: HAccgXrfMZdTsMZss47dAqZ82trPoeiiB7
BTC: 14SoM653x2iEEipDcHchimBfFXwbQUZ3fh
Keyser

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:20:45 PM

It is really difficult to choose among all the options in the current "wild west" altcoin market.  I have been reading and analyzing as much information as I can over the past few months.

Problem is that the market is down because mother bitcoin is sick.  Everyone is trying to find a wave to ride and unfortunately the market manipulators decide which coin to pump.  These "whales" or pump groups can control any coin in the short term with enough bitcoin and the regular guys just trying to find a safe bet are just along for the ride.

It is very easy to lose money right now or find yourself holding the bag.  I think over the long run there are some serious coins with great features that can compete with the likes of litecoin and doge.  Warning, incoming plug,  Vertcoin offers adaptive N scrypt asic resistance and I think it will shine eventually.  But due to the current atmosphere and price manipulation it is losing money for me faster than my last trip to the Reno blackjack table.

Another option is to choose a coin that is not on the radar and already cheap as hell.  One with a good community and promising outlook.  Get ready for it, shameless plug #2.  I am buying BEE coin at the moment as it is going for single digit latoshis.  It had a fair launch with no instamine and no premine.  Things are looking good as there is a new dev coming on board and the community is preparing to start doing various promotions.

Ultimately, just do your due diligence and be careful.  There are a lot of scams going on around here.  Beware of IPOs without an escrow and try to not buy into something that is hyped too much as you may be buying into a pump and left holding the bag.  Sadly, I say this from experience.

On a positive note, I think the market is due for a rebound.  Any good news for bitcoin is good news for the altcoin market.  It could be said that this is a good time to join in as we may be approaching bottom.  But it is all a gamble to be honest.
rmines

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:22:21 PM

I would buy some litecoin while you still can at low prices, prices are going up as some major exchanges are going to accept ltc soon.

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
dogeforlife (OP)

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 08:46:28 PM

so many that can catch one big break and go mad in price.... who knows... hold a few of all coins with solid devs and communities...

obviously a couple of btc ( as much as you can afford i guess for me i don't have many of these)

ltc, doge, qrk,  ppc  - these have to be reasonable bets ... i hold  a lot of the first 3 and a bit of ppc.  I mined them mostly thats why i have more.

A few old ones that have a following and dedicated dev team that have stuck around.

cgb, dgc, mec, adt2, phs , dmd, hobo, ifc, tix .... some there that are kind of gambles too

real gamble coins.... more chance of huge profits but could vanish -

these can be anything really... i like of like small mintings as well because the price can go wild at the slightest thing. Or they could pass away..

qqc, icoin, applecoin,  vel if they can get fixed up

beecoin because i just thought it was such a fair launch and community is trying to get some new stuff done. You could buy at between 1-10 on the ltc market so scooped up a few and will try to help that community.

Thank you for the suggestions.
LTC - Bought 100! looks very promising as a competitor to Bitcoin. I will hold for profit as I believe Bitcoin to be of the same vein and the winner in the long term for this niche.
DOGE - I have Smiley ++++
QRK - wish I bought before the hype but think it is overbought so I am staying clear. Love the multiple hashing algo angle but have to research further to understand the effectiveness.
PPC - still struggling to find a straight answer on yearly inflation Sad
CGB - researching now, love the info on reddit. PoS mostly with low inflation. Been around for a long time. Looks like a turbulent time but excellent price. I will take a chance here.
DGC - I see this in the same class as DOGE and have already picked my winner in that race.
MEC, IFC, TIX - see DGC
ADT2, PHS, HOBO - PoS interest way to high IMO to be sustainable

My head hurts from all the research, will check out the others when I get my second wind Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: