Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:40:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are airdrops safe?  (Read 9428 times)
fosamede
Copper Member

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2019, 11:50:15 PM

If you are participating in airdrops, it is good practice to have a dedicated wallet to that so as to limit your risks. Also avoid any interaction that exposes your private keys, there are better options to naviigate this with metamask.io.Avoid downloading links to avoid malware that could compromise your laptop
barbara44

Activity: 2408
Merit: 605

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 06:43:43 AM

The way they usually work is they give you some string and you sign it to prove you own the address.

Could a malicious air drop make a transaction sending all your BTC to them, and then you sign it, and then they broadcast it to the network?
Or is signing a message different than signing a transaction?
Airdrop in quote is safe If it is to be used in the right way, just like ICO too is also safe, but the problem is with the scammers that has hijacked this system, prior to when this industry got filled with scammers, airdrop also use to give so much money when you participate in it and it is quite less stressful and short to participate in like ICO, but right now, you have to be extremely careful about the type of airdrop that you look into.

There are so many scammers that are using airdrop nowadays to just collect your information, so that they can have access to token details that you have supplied to them through their airdrop. There was one that I participated in recently, just barely two weeks of it, I have started seeing lot of attempt to illegally crack into my cryptocurrency mail.

NeelMariaWarner

Activity: 350
Merit: 3

Change Your Worlds Build a New Era!

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 06:55:02 AM

safe or not, I don't really know about them, because I personally have never been interested in or liked some kind of airdrops. My advice is just one, don't ever do KYC just for free coins or some sort of airdrop, consideration before making that decision

Orionix        |│        The Future of Gaming Comission Free Games And Items Exchange
WHITEPAPER             TWITTER             TELEGRAM
Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 07:05:18 AM

The way they usually work is they give you some string and you sign it to prove you own the address.

That doesn't sound right to me. If it's an airdrop, they shouldn't be asking anything of you.
An airdrop is a free distribution of coins to promote the project. If they are sending out to addresses, why would you need to prove you own the address? It sounds like they are hoping someone will make a mistake and hand over private information, such as KYC data or private key. I would recommend to stay away.

fosco333

Activity: 1260
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 09:20:11 AM

Could a malicious air drop make a transaction sending all your BTC to them, and then you sign it, and then they broadcast it to the network?

Airdrop should not requiring something like that, peoples usually just need to follow, retweet, or join some channels.
As i know in Ethereum, we will need to using private key to sign transaction, so it will be a dangerous thing if only used for airdrop.

efrenbilantok

Activity: 576
Merit: 39

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 11:57:56 AM

What airdrop are you talking about? it sounds really suspicious because they are requiring you to sign something that most kind of airdrop being conducted doesn't do anything like that, but if you can say what airdrop is that we might actually check the string they are giving and determine if it is safe or not.
RealMalatesta
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1124

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 05:20:56 PM

In the world of hackers, there is no impossibility and there is no length to which they would not go to get some accounts hacked, even as you are asking this question, there may be an hacker among us which is already seeing the possibility of using the system you talked about to hack even if they had not tried it before.

When it comes to airdrop, there is always going to be malwares associated to some, so what I did for airdrop was to open a separate email for it, also have another address opened for it, so that even if I will get hacked, it will still be my airdrop account. The thing is, it is difficult to say if airdrop is safe, but easy to stay safe if we can learn to protect our accounts by all possible means. So I would not advise you stay away from airdrop, participate but be selective of the projects.

Activity: 350
Merit: 10

HiveNet - Distributed Cloud Computing

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 06:05:09 PM

Everything in this world has its pros and cons so as in cryptocurrency. In this world of hackers, its likely and possible that your wallet can be hacked and your airdrops tokens might be stolen. Well, personally, I haven't participated in airdrops campaign before so I can't determine whether its safe or not.

john alex young

Activity: 199
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 06:32:45 PM

Airdrop is not dangerous. The airdrop program is a quick completion program. As long as I participate in the airdrop program, I have never found one asking to sign a message or something.
Chicky213
Copper Member

Activity: 476
Merit: 4

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 06:44:34 PM

Ofcourse Airdrop is safe except for the few ones that will want to steal your personal data. Be very careful before participating in any, at least verify the authenticity. I won't recommend airdrop that will ask you to send some amount of ETH before receiving your reward.
semobo

Activity: 1498
Merit: 146

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 06:53:17 PM

Airdrop is not dangerous. The airdrop program is a quick completion program. As long as I participate in the airdrop program, I have never found one asking to sign a message or something.
Most airdrops are just useless to participate so we are wasting our time by joining on these airdrops.

If an airdrop ask you to pay some eth as transaction fee or they ask for any kind of your wallet keys then they are scammers.
Miy Monk
Copper Member

Activity: 53

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 07:23:18 PM

Usually airdrop forms don't ask for private keys. Though sometimes it can explore the identity of a person but it's
impossible to get your coins without accessing your wallet. If any airdrop form ask you to fill it with private keys that means it's a scam. Beware of them and you'll be safe.

Christinebeauty
Copper Member

Activity: 420
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 07:35:07 PM

Airdrops are never safe. How can you ever trust a project which is yet to be launched into this crypto space full of scams and organizing airdrop. Even the existing ones are not safe, how much more upcoming ones with no track record

aemma
Copper Member

Activity: 966
Merit: 14

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 08:03:59 PM

To the best of my knowledge only a few are safe while majority are scams, email spammers etc. The few good one hardly asks for unnecessary requirements while the fraudulent ones will ask or lead users to a phishing website to steal their informations. Let's endeavour to check any airdrop before participating.
novy

Activity: 728
Merit: 110

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2019, 08:34:15 PM

I would say 8 from 10 airdrops are scam or they need just your personal data to sell it in darknet or for kyc purpose. Don't waste your time, better spend this time with your family.

boskripto

Activity: 29

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 08:42:52 PM

I think they are safe, as long as we don't enter excessive identities that will only be priced a few dollars, because it is feared that in some projects that are scam and in the name of ourselves. Therefore it is more researched in reading the whitepaper and reviewing the experts to enter airdrop.
Uju4real
Copper Member

Activity: 349

📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 08:48:56 PM

I can't recall any airdrop asking to sign in then when I was still into it, I stopped I don't see it any good again. Majority of Airdrops now are Scam. Don't sign in to anything for any Airdrop

██████████████  CARTESI 📱 LINUX INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCALABLE DAPPS  ██████████████
█▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇█
Furious 7

Activity: 2870
Merit: 665

https://duelbits.com/

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 10:12:14 PM

I always associate with Aidrop which has been printed on the exchange to prevent airdrop from being paid. for me time must be appreciated.
besides that KYC is a part that must be avoided when joining airdrop.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Leema
Copper Member

Activity: 210
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 10:39:43 PM

Usually airdrop forms don't ask for private keys. Though sometimes it can explore the identity of a person but it's
impossible to get your coins without accessing your wallet. If any airdrop form ask you to fill it with private keys that means it's a scam. Beware of them and you'll be safe.

When i first joined the airdrop program as a newbie i saw some forms which allows me sign in message, like a way to use my private key to unlock rewards, cos i was too careful i wasn't a victim.

The3max

Activity: 317
Merit: 100

https://leasehold.io/

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 03:17:14 AM

Back at the end of 2017 in early 2018, airdrop helped me earn a huge sum of money from the simple requirements of the project, at the time I thought airdrop was great, safe and made a lot of money. But now, a lot of airdrop shows take place, the project scams a lot, besides the airdrop stealing our information, some of it steals our data through software that needs downloading. when participating in the airdrop program

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: