Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:51:28 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Server PSU for Antminer S1, step by step guide.  (Read 40328 times)
ElGabo

Activity: 635
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:58:17 AM

Just shot 2 pics with my phone. I leave it in big size so you can check what am i talking about.

This way the cables won't get hot for sure.

Next time when I make psu-s I'll some pics about how am I solder the wires into the psu-s.

Edit: Checked the awg number, it's about 16 - 17 awg what I use.

Edit2: Every connector and cables are custom made, i don't trust factory made connectors....

Very beautiful and clean job.

But using 6 wires I think is an overkill.
6 wires of 1mm2 (17awg) each makes a total of almost 8mm2 (or 8awg)

The 8mm2 (or 8awg) can handle more than 30amp.

Each blade will not need more than 18amp o'cked.

Although, if you want to keep that safe is not a bad idea.

Thanks!

Sure an overkill but I'd like to go as much secure as I can. I have a few  Wink ants and I don't want to burn them all due to a faulty connection or wire....

" I'm waiting for my punishment, I know it's on my way
  So cut, cut, cut me up and fuck, fuck, fuck me up"
tzortz (OP)

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 10:05:13 AM

Just shot 2 pics with my phone. I leave it in big size so you can check what am i talking about.

Next time when I make psu-s I'll some pics about how am I solder the wires into the psu-s.

Edit2: Every connector and cables are custom made, i don't trust factory made connectors....

Thanks!

Sure an overkill but I'd like to go as much secure as I can. I have a few  Wink ants and I don't want to burn them all due to a faulty connection or wire....

Give us pictures of the soldering also!

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
ElGabo

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 10:23:16 AM

Thanks!

Give us pictures of the soldering also!

As soon as I have to make some I'll shot some. I run out of psu-s....

I'll have a look, I think I have a few faulty ones, if the connectors not soldered already I'll solder one or 2 just to show am I do.

ipxtreme

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:08:50 PM

I will take pics of my solder so you guys can have a chuckle later. Here are 2 Ants in a Roswell case. Plus the server power supply I bought for $11.50 each on ebay.

I have 5 of these cases with 10 Ants total. I also used the copper L-shaped connector from Home Depot. Each wire is 14 awg.

do you see the molex connectors for the case fans? Can I hook that up to the PSU too? Or do I need a lower power level to connect them?

I don't want to be the clever guy but aren't those cables from the psu to the ants a little bit thin?

When I install my server psu-s I use 12 x 1 mm2 cables for + 12 v and the same for ground. I know the half is enough just to be sure....

But as I see you made it only about 1 x 1 mm2 (maybe 1.5 mm2) for + 12 v and the same for the ground and split to 3 lines. If I were you I would check the cable temps and do some calculations what cable diameter is needed for 200W at 12V, it's about 17 amp.

If you split to 3 lines you should use 3 times thicker as you use after the split.

Repeat, I don't want to be the clever guy, just wanted to help....

If somebody is interested I can drop a picture how my server psu look like.

No problem. Thanks for the info. The wires are 14 gauge AWG each. I will check today what the temps are running at the wires.

BTC tips: 14PkHaJH5GexLG9P7MYxHRNvZeCq2t8DWX
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:01:34 PM

I will take pics of my solder so you guys can have a chuckle later. Here are 2 Ants in a Roswell case. Plus the server power supply I bought for $11.50 each on ebay.

I have 5 of these cases with 10 Ants total. I also used the copper L-shaped connector from Home Depot. Each wire is 14 awg.

do you see the molex connectors for the case fans? Can I hook that up to the PSU too? Or do I need a lower power level to connect them?

I don't want to be the clever guy but aren't those cables from the psu to the ants a little bit thin?

When I install my server psu-s I use 12 x 1 mm2 cables for + 12 v and the same for ground. I know the half is enough just to be sure....

But as I see you made it only about 1 x 1 mm2 (maybe 1.5 mm2) for + 12 v and the same for the ground and split to 3 lines. If I were you I would check the cable temps and do some calculations what cable diameter is needed for 200W at 12V, it's about 17 amp.

If you split to 3 lines you should use 3 times thicker as you use after the split.

No problem. Thanks for the info. The wires are 14 gauge AWG each. I will check today what the temps are running at the wires.

constructive power wiring criticism:

1) 14AWG is sufficient for running 1 wire pair to each blade. Many of my own units are wired like that. (with 16AWG i suggest at least 2 wire pairs)

2) there is no need for the 1->3 splitters on your power wiring. It achieves no benfit against simply running the single line to a single screw terminal, and if anything adds more wire length and other craziness that would increase the overall resistance. if the wire fails it will be along the single line, not down any of the 3 branched lines.

all 3 screw terminal holes are linked together so there is no reason why you cant/shouldnt just run the ssingle 14AWG wire to the center screw and forgo the short branched wires

as for the molex fans, my advice:   grab a matching molex branch (1 male to 3 female) and snip the male end. wire it into one of the antminer's screw terminals to feed it. (keep in mind this will add a 10-30w load to whichever antminer blade you do it from, so keep a close eye on the 14AWG wires to that blade that they dont heat up from having to deliver a little bit more current)

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
ipxtreme

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:09:12 PM

1) 14AWG is sufficient for running 1 wire pair to each blade. Many of my own units are wired like that. (with 16AWG i suggest at least 2 wire pairs)

2) there is no need for the 1->3 splitters on your power wiring. It achieves no benfit against simply running the single line to a single screw terminal, and if anything adds more wire length and other craziness that would increase the overall resistance. if the wire fails it will be along the single line, not down any of the 3 branched lines.

all 3 screw terminal holes are linked together so there is no reason why you cant/shouldnt just run the ssingle 14AWG wire to the center screw and forgo the short branched wires

as for the molex fans, my advice:   grab a matching molex branch (1 male to 3 female) and snip the male end. wire it into one of the antminer's screw terminals to feed it. (keep in mind this will add a 10-30w load to whichever antminer blade you do it from, so keep a close eye on the 14AWG wires to that blade that they dont heat up from having to deliver a little bit more current)

thanks. Thought i needed to power all 3 screw holes. Good to know. I will try it later today.

BTC tips: 14PkHaJH5GexLG9P7MYxHRNvZeCq2t8DWX
smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 06:21:36 PM

Just making cables...

ElGabo

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 07:42:56 PM

Just making cables...

I made the same throught very very long nights.....

I can feel you pain....  Smiley

smracer
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 08:23:43 PM

And the finished product.

CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 03:12:39 AM

Making cables myself...tedious work.

Cables to power 11 Gridseed USB Mini's in dual mode.

IBM power supply watts: 835w max.  80% of full load = 668w. 11 Gridseeds dual mining = 660w (60w x 11). 66 scrypt only mining = 660w (10w x 66).
IBM power supply amps: 69.0A max. 80% of full load = 55.2A. 11 Gridseeds dual mining = 55A (5A x 11). 66 scrypt only mining = 43.56A (0.66A x 66).

Check my math but I think that's safe. Don't think I could fit much more than 11 16awg cables into the Offset Terminal Lug so it worked out. Have 1 to 6 splitters for scrypt.

CartmanSPC
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 03:16:14 AM

Updated post #141 with additional pictures.

Nice, but as everything is so small in there.

Isnt it difficult to do it?

Little...but not owning a solder gun or even having used one in over 15 years I had to get creative  Cool

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 07:52:31 AM

do you see the molex connectors for the case fans? Can I hook that up to the PSU too? Or do I need a lower power level to

as for the molex fans, my advice:   grab a matching molex branch (1 male to 3 female) and snip the male end. wire it into one of the antminer's screw terminals to feed it. (keep in mind this will add a 10-30w load to whichever antminer blade you do it from, so keep a close eye on the 14AWG wires to that blade that they dont heat up from having to deliver a little bit more current)

I would not suggest using one terminal hole only.
The reason for having three terminals is for splitting the high current, dont forget is around 18 amp.
A single terminal cannot handle 18 amp. It will melt.

That way you can split the current from 18 amp to 3x6amp to each screw.

All is Mine!

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 07:54:03 AM

Just making cables...

Waw, how long did it take to make all these?

Bythe way, very nicely done.

All is Mine!

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 07:55:32 AM

IBM power supply watts: 835w max.  80% of full load = 668w. 11 Gridseeds dual mining = 660w (60w x 11). 66 scrypt only mining = 660w (10w x 66).
IBM power supply amps: 69.0A max. 80% of full load = 55.2A. 11 Gridseeds dual mining = 55A (5A x 11). 66 scrypt only mining = 43.56A (0.66A x 66).

Check my math but I think that's safe. Don't think I could fit much more than 11 16awg cables into the Offset Terminal Lug so it worked out. Have 1 to 6 splitters

Have you ever measured temps on the cables?

All is Mine!

CartmanSPC
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 08:19:10 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2014, 04:25:17 PM by CartmanSPC

IBM power supply watts: 835w max.  80% of full load = 668w. 11 Gridseeds dual mining = 660w (60w x 11). 66 scrypt only mining = 660w (10w x 66).

Check my math but I think that's safe. Don't think I could fit much more than 11 16awg cables into the Offset Terminal Lug so it worked out. Have 1 to 6 splitters

Have you ever measured temps on the cables?

How would I go about doing that? Have an IR temp gun but it only registers a 1 degree fahrenheit increase from ambient on the positive wires running scrypt. (est. 10 watts per miner. 106 watts at the wall using a kill-a-watt. Think the PS by itself pulled 15 watts or something)

In the picture below I have 10 miners on the IBM PS and 10 on the old PS's provided with the miners. The cables provided with the miners are 22-24 gauge Shocked (my gauge measure only goes to 18).

smracer
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 07:21:26 PM

They are coming together!

tzortz (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 07:22:58 PM

Nice, can you give a bigger picture, please?

All is Mine!

smracer
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:00:00 PM

Nice, can you give a bigger picture, please?

smracer
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:07:12 PM

A better look at the lugs.

smracer
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:11:50 PM

Although this is easier and faster than epoxy.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: