Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:19:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which algorithm you like and what are the advantages? :)  (Read 1043 times)
Fdt (OP)

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

Forexcoin Developer

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 04:59:14 AM

Hey folks,

I start by saying so far I like Scrypt as its well tested and allows for the GPU mining (Asics advantage is small compared to the SHA256 scenario). Gpu mining is cool in my opinion as people can mine coins with the various algorithms without having to buy a new equipment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:33:22 AM

X11 - DarkCoin...50% cooler and 50% less power than scrypt, which is better for the environment Smiley. 280x mines it at around 2.1mh/s

Combines the power of 11 hashing algorithms to make it resistant to ASIC.
Warning__3

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:03:23 AM

SHA3 Keccak is a cool algo.

Literally.

~BCX~
Totally agree, and the algo changing system they have could become mighty useful Cheesy

Fdt (OP)

Activity: 137

Forexcoin Developer

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 05:53:16 AM

Useful in which way? Smiley More details as to how exactly it can make crypto currencies better will be appreciated Smiley

Literally.

~BCX~
Totally agree, and the algo changing system they have could become mighty useful Cheesy

Bigballs

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:47:36 PM

Dont miss out on the newcomer Groestl used in Groestlcoin. In a test that was done comparing most of the known algos Groestl was the most energy efficient and especially friendly for CPU/GPU mining. It's the future. Check out the comparison here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=525926.msg6073250#msg6073250

Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/groestlcoin

BTC-talk: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=525926.0
kache

Activity: 140

Bored

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:11:53 PM

X11 - DarkCoin...50% cooler and 50% less power than scrypt, which is better for the environment Smiley. 280x mines it at around 2.1mh/s

Agreed. X11 is one of the best currently.

Rig: http://www.betarigs.com/rig/257
BTC: 15rBivhPYhVnQsgVHucNXHy5b66bUn6njM
Doge: DSdsJdTrmXSAZCdNi1iQ7zEo8nH1iBWGQv
precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 09:15:03 PM

Prepare for a flame war OP from vertcoin followers, and x11 followers.

I like the following algo's:

x11: less heat and electricity, ASIC resistant for the fact that no ASIC has been made for it, but will probably be easy to make, as in order to be a SHA-3 Canidate, It is required that an ASIC is possible to make for it

blake256: 3x faster than sha256, encourages ASICS as higher difficulty just secures network.

Keccak - IDK, just higher hash rate I guess.

Groestl - Same as x11, the heat and electricity part.

Whatever algo heavycoin is on - ditto reasons to groestl.

wasamata

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:55:35 PM

x11/hEFty1/ - Fast n cool
POS- the coolest
Myriad- most innovative IMO
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:09:22 PM

x11 is marketing hype and does nothing better than QRK confirmed by 13 pages of x11 examination.

Nobody was able to present 1 thing x11 did better than QRK.

infact ask of x11 these question and it has no answers

1. is it more efficient than qrk?
2. is it more secure than qrk?
3. is it more efficient than scrypt? or is the miner just crippled and can't use the full potential of the card?
4. are there more efficient miners already out for x11 that are more optimised?
5. is it more asic resistant that qrk?
6. is it more asic resistant that scyptN , scrypt jane
7. is it x12, x13, x99 going to be better? will we need to fork all of the coins over and over again?

ask some coders to answer clearly with some evidence you can understand....

is x11 worse than any of the others, probably not but at least get a reasonable expectation of x11 it brings nothing really new to the table.

Myriad or heavy? perhaps they are the way to go.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 10:28:05 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2014, 08:28:07 AM by markm

I still like SHA256, because even with ASICs coming to scrypt it looks like the scrypt miners are too brainwashed by the GPU miner mentality of "scratch and burn", destroying everything they touch, no interest in the long term.

How that will work out for owners of scrypt ASICs I do not know, since unlike GPU miners any "lets destroy the goose that lays the golden eggs" activities on their part isn't backed up by the ability to sell off the rape-and-pillage equipment to gamers once they have totally destroyed all credibility in all the coins foolish enough to be susceptible to them.

The fact that ASIC buyers aren't buying something they can use briefly to kill the golden geese then sell off to gamers means that at some point ASIC miners are going to face that fact that their gear will be useless once all the golden geese are dead, so hopefully more and more of them are going to settle down to the real job, the long term job, of actually securing blockchains.

In scrypt the top contenders cannot even be merged mined together, so constantly undermine each other, which makes scrypt seem like a poor choice even for ASIC miners. But who knows, maybe litecoin and DOGE will eventually realise that they need to be secure, and settle down to be merged mine together. Meanwhile though merged mining is already in place with the SHA coins, allowing owners of SHA ASICs to settle down to the long term job of securing all the merged mined coins at once.

Thus SHA looks so far to be the most mature algorithm, with the more security in place for the most chains.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 11:55:01 PM

Literally.

~BCX~

very

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
reRaise

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:18:34 AM

Quarks algo
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 03:09:22 AM

x11 is marketing hype and does nothing better than QRK confirmed by 13 pages of x11 examination.

Nobody was able to present 1 thing x11 did better than QRK.

infact ask of x11 these question and it has no answers

1. is it more efficient than qrk?
2. is it more secure than qrk?
3. is it more efficient than scrypt? or is the miner just crippled and can't use the full potential of the card?
4. are there more efficient miners already out for x11 that are more optimised?
5. is it more asic resistant that qrk?
6. is it more asic resistant that scyptN , scrypt jane
7. is it x12, x13, x99 going to be better? will we need to fork all of the coins over and over again?

ask some coders to answer clearly with some evidence you can understand....

is x11 worse than any of the others, probably not but at least get a reasonable expectation of x11 it brings nothing really new to the table.

Myriad or heavy? perhaps they are the way to go.

Ha ha this is because of that uncomfortable fact that cPoW is taking over as PoW just as I predicted.

So there are lots of moves on the chess board but they are all moving in the same general direction. 

Which is generally the best way to play. 

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:28:31 AM

I still like SHA256, because even with ASICs coming to scrypt it looks like the scrypt miners are too brainwashed by the GPU miner mentality of "scratch and burn", destroying everything they touch, no interest in the long term.

How that will work out for owners of scrypt ASICs I do not know, since unlike GPU miners any "lets destroy the goose that lays the golden eggs" activities on their part isn't backed up by the ability to sell off the rape-and-pillage equipment ro gamers ocne they have totalyl destroyed all credibility in all the coins foolish enoguh to be susceptible to them.

The fact that ASIC buyers aren't buying something they can use briefly to kill the golden geese then sell off to gamers means that at some point ASIC miners are going to face that fact that their gear will be useless once all the golden geese are dead, so hopefully more and more of them are going to settle down to the real job, the long term job, of actually securing blockchains.

In scrypt the top contenders cannot even be merged mined together, so constantly undermine each other, which makes scrypt seem like a poor choice even for ASIC miners. But who knows, maybe litecoin and DOGE will eventually realise that they need to be secure, and settle down to be merged mine together. Meanwhile though merged mining is already in place with the SHA coins, allowing owners of SHA ASICs to settle down to the long term job of securing all the merged mined coins at once.

Thus SHA looks so far to be the most mature algorithm, with the more security in place for the most chains.

-MarkM-

I do believe most coins other than merged mined coins will die off especially those with no utility.. Bitcoin litecoin offer commodity purposes but the market will go searching for a unit of account for example for everyday purposes and that wont be your everyday altcoin running a cool algo....

Asics help gaurd against attacks on the network more than they open up potential for centralized mining causing an organized fork. The next gen asics using qbits maybe will be even closer to minimal energy usage to mine with a certain number of hashes...

cryptowho

Activity: 182

Ask me about Karmacoin

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 07:18:01 AM

great topic. Hopefully less coin plugging and more algo focusing comparison.

looking for C++ coders , web-dev and coin-devs to join karmacoin team. We are trying to expand. we have so many goals. Challenge accepted?  PM me.
peterlustig

Activity: 812
Merit: 250

The Fourth Generation of Blockchain in DeFi

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 07:20:50 AM

http://cr.yp.to/ecdh.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curve25519

`````````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
`````▄█████████████▄
```███████▀▀█▀▀███████
``████████``█``████████
`██████``````````▀██████
█████████```████```██████
█████████`````````███████
█████████```████▄``▀█████
█████████```████▀```█████
`██████```````````▄█████
``████████``█``████████
```███████▄▄█▄▄███████
`````▀█████████████▀
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
```███████████████████
```````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DRK Defi

The Fourth Generation Of Blockchain
                             In Decentralized Finance

Draken Exchange
     DrakenX

Facebook
     Twitter

`````````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
`````▄█████████████▄
```███████████████████
``█████████████████████
`████████████▀▀▀`````███
████████▀▀▀````▄█````████
████▀▀``````▄██▀````▄████
███▄▄`````███▀``````█████
███████``██`````````█████
`███████`▐`````````█████
``███████▐`████▄▄`▄████
```███████▄███████████
`````▀█████████████▀
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
```███████████████████
```````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

.Telegram.
Channel
Madychoux

Activity: 212

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 07:54:40 AM

X11 looks great to me.

Scrypt-N/Jane use more energy and seem far less powerfull.

Groestl is probably the most interesting algo but yet still unknown and not widespread.
juve4v

Activity: 505
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 08:04:32 AM

Groestl as it is most power efficient. Gpus run cooler than x11 and the gap between CPU/GPU is not so big while mining GRS for ex..
 People should start reading before promoting x11 so much.
hulk

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 10:05:45 AM

Hey folks,

I start by saying so far I like Scrypt as its well tested and allows for the GPU mining (Asics advantage is small compared to the SHA256 scenario). Gpu mining is cool in my opinion as people can mine coins with the various algorithms without having to buy a new equipment.

Right now most people prefer x11 and Groestl due to power and heat saving. But it seems like their asic resistance is much lower then ASIC. Means its easier to make an asic for them so I guess it won't go well for long either..

We need new algo which is high in ASIC resistance and power saving Smiley

Madychoux

Activity: 212

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 10:35:32 AM

Hey folks,

Right now most people prefer x11 and Groestl due to power and heat saving. But it seems like their asic resistance is much lower then ASIC. Means its easier to make an asic for them so I guess it won't go well for long either..

POS ?
solosequenosenada

Activity: 952
Merit: 542

Freedom dies from suicide

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 10:37:09 AM

Hey folks,

POS ?
+1
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: