Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 08:34:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I access my BTC and other wallets on Public Internet Cafe  (Read 634 times)
joinfree

Activity: 1246
Merit: 260

1A6nybMUHYKS6E6Z3eJFm4KpVDdev8BAJL

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 09:52:41 AM

If you   used public WiFi  or internet  to access web wallet  there is  a lot  of security  implications, hackers may get access to install keylogger that  can record all your information and send it to them.  they can also get  access to install malware and spyware  to  monitor  you and spy u remotely. so  its not  advisable  to  use public  WiFi  or internet  to  access you wallets..

Crypto Enthusiast supporting innovative ideas for the Liberalization of the world from the Centralized Institutions.
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1219

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 09:59:41 AM

I know it is not secure to use public internet Cafe Computers for accessing the wallets and for transaction needs. At times I don't have any other option than just using it. I would like to know, is there any software available to record the input data entered while accessing the wallet. Recently one of my friend informed about such a way to know the private keys. Is there anyone here have any such experience.
You know it's risky and you still use it. I graciously await a time when you will come opening a thread and complaining of a hack. On a serious note, you should try as much as you can to stop that impulse of using a public space in accessing your wallet. That's my 1cent advice.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 10:42:48 AM

I know it is not secure to use public internet Cafe Computers for accessing the wallets and for transaction needs. At times I don't have any other option than just using it. I would like to know, is there any software available to record the input data entered while accessing the wallet. Recently one of my friend informed about such a way to know the private keys. Is there anyone here have any such experience.

Or you could simply move your bitcoin to a new address and obtain new private keys in a secure way.
I have an automated tool on my computer for clearing clipboard every few seconds. I doubt it works 100% but it's better than nothing.
It is just not a good idea to store alot of coins in a single address. Decentralization should be holistic
Lizzylove1

Activity: 858
Merit: 13

Christ The King

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 12:17:19 PM

Wow, this is a time bomb, as it's very risky. I think the Cyber Cafe operator or admin can monitor what goes on their system and they can tab on your activities if they want to. This is a risky game. It's better never to use Cafe for wallet related issues.

Mandoy

Activity: 644
Merit: 264

Aurox

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 12:32:27 PM

Using a public wifi or internet connection especially public internet cafe are very risky. Aside from the keylogger they mentioned the risk of being monitored by the server is really high also when using public wifi hackers can access your account using the ip address. It is very risky to use internet cafes for financial transaction and so you just have to really invest on your stable internet connection and personal computer at home.

Aurox.

Designed to make
you money
|Proprietary Indicators
& Signals
|||                  ▄██▄▄▄▄▄
                ▄████████▀█▄▀
            ▄▄██████████▀
           ██████████▀██
          ███████████▄▄ ▄▄
         ██████████████ ▀▀█▄
     ▄▄████████████▀▄█▀   ▀▀
▄▀▀ ███████████▀▀▀ ██▀
▀▄▄▀ ██████▀ ▄▄
      ████▀ ██▀
     ███▀  █▀
     ▄█▌  ▐█▌
     ▀██   ▀▀
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████   ████

Get Started. FREE!
██   ████   ██████   ████████   ██████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Lmaooo

Activity: 694
Merit: 108

santacoin.io

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 01:31:39 PM

Stop doing that because public internet is not secure. you need to start using VPN - Virtual Private Network for more security. using vpn service will help protect you from hackers and other bad guys on the internet. VPN services are very cheap these days it costs less than $8/month, try to get one and stay safe. 

timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 01:43:20 PM

There are basically 2 reasons why this could backfire and you would lose all your funds here.

Since I am assuming your using a wallet that's hosted online and is able to be accessed everywhere, you need to watch out for keyloggers which can easily steal your username and password, but if you have 2 factor authentication on, this can be easily be avoided.

The 2nd way someone could steal your BTC is if they have malware which would automatically sweep the machine for private keys, or auto send BTC to a certain address. This one is basically unavoidable, unless you buy a hardware wallet like a ledger.

Its not safe to access on net cafe,you are correct here since as most computer has keylogger. It was installed by someone to steal some gaming account etc. If they have knowledge in cryptocurrency, your online wallet is not safe. You can add additional security o your online wallet by activating your 2FA Security. Another is through mobile authentication, that once you loin a code was sent to your phoe. This way, your account has a secondary level of security.
It really depends on how trustworthy the gaming cafe is, the trusted and registered ones can get in a lot of trouble if the government or someone finds out they have malware that allows them to hack and steal other people's game accounts, or even crypto-currencies.

Just simply avoid this using 2-FA on your phone, personally I recommend using the code generation system since they work when your sim doesn't work, or just spend the 100 dollars on a ledger, it's a worthwhile investment.

Smiley
Genemind

Activity: 1596
Merit: 335

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 02:14:07 PM

My partner tried to access his wallet on a public internet Cafe and unfortunately, he lost $200. After that case, my partner didn't access and open any of his wallets on any internet cafe around. It's better to find another remedy rather than using a public Pc because it's a lot risky. Better use your own and personal gadgets to secure your funds. Scammers and hackers are everywhere.
jake zyrus

Activity: 798
Merit: 121

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 03:48:00 PM

You know the risk it includes when using public internet cafe when accessing personal and important data and account. If it's very important, we should not risk it considering the fact that you might lose all your money. In public internet cafe, there's a lot of possibilities, it is not safe there. Internet cafe are more prone to hacks, viruses, scams and etc that's why we should always be careful to avoid it. But by doing that, you just make yourself vulnerable. Although you have no choice, it's better to make other choice or find a different way. As for me, internet cafes are the least of the options. You should also be careful on the internet cafe, if you have already rented there or you know the owner and if you think it's kinda trust-worthy. You should not just rent at any cafe you don't know... But I hope, nothing bad happens to you and your assets.

George_Akoni

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 04:16:40 PM

In the bitcointalk there was rules and regulations if we dig deeper we can find more information how to access the keys and secure them from threats, it is highly recommended to go through as we can see many people will loose their funds by this small negligence due to not procuring more information.
Mulann2

Activity: 686
Merit: 35

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 04:47:51 PM

you are exposing yourself to possible hack if you don't refrain yourself from using public internet to access your wallet, you can not be too careful with using public internet especially if there is a possibility for someone to collect you info, you should be more cautious of your personal information brfore it fall into the wrong hands.
TinaK

Activity: 1106
Merit: 527

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 05:02:10 PM

It is weird and I don't know any person who do such activities to handle their wallet.

If you ask me if there any possibilities available to do this my answer will be YES. If you have private key or JSON file you can access your wallet via web platform.
pixie85

Activity: 2156
Merit: 528

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 05:51:59 PM

This is a way to ruin. I hope no sane people are accessing any private information in cybercafes. These places are meant for playing games or maybe occasionally printing something but not paying your bills sending money to someone or trading crypto.

A mobile phone costs a few dollars and it will serve as both a fiat and crypto wallet and a way to access your email. Don't have a PC? Buy a phone!
aysg76
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 2124

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 06:17:13 PM

If you   used public WiFi  or internet  to access web wallet  there is  a lot  of security  implications, hackers may get access to install keylogger that  can record all your information and send it to them.  they can also get  access to install malware and spyware  to  monitor  you and spy u remotely. so  its not  advisable  to  use public  WiFi  or internet  to  access you wallets..

The thing with keylogger is, it will only record keyboard strokes. If person copy/paste anything from clipboard, it will not be recorded by keylogger. I don't think anybody manually type private keys (at least I never did that). I don't see any risk from keylogger if data is just copied.
Well, there is always risk of getting compromised when using public WiFi but I doubt regular person running cafe will go to such an extent and try to steal private info of his customers, at least not in my area.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
scambust
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 10:15:24 PM

If you have no other choice but to use other people's computers like the very public and probably full of trojans Internet cafe PCs, I suggest you bring your own bootable USB with a Linux OS. That's what I do to isolate some wallets. You just plug it in and you have your own desktop and harddrive source. I use Ubuntu. These Linux USB drives have universal drivers for video, audio, and network.

This is a good option for OP if he don't have any choice although accessing Bitcoin wallets on different or public computers is not advisable as it's likely you get hack by the owners or other user of the computer. I've never try using a USB with a Linux OS on a public internet cafe so I'm wondering if you will still get the virus by just plugging in and boot to it?

No virus by booting in to your own OS. Thinking of it this way - you made a brain transplant to a person and that person will not be the same person prior to the brain switch.

If you have no other choice but to use other people's computers like the very public and probably full of trojans Internet cafe PCs, I suggest you bring your own bootable USB with a Linux OS. That's what I do to isolate some wallets. You just plug it in and you have your own desktop and harddrive source. I use Ubuntu. These Linux USB drives have universal drivers for video, audio, and network.

It won't work.
Those computers run behind a management program like "MyCyberCafe" not only you won't be able to enter the boot section because the employee there will instantly notice but even if you do your os won't be able to connect to anything.
It's not like renting a car, it's taking a taxi.  Grin

Anyhow, I'm surprised nobody advised the OP to stop using webwallets also. Not your keys...not your coins.

Ah, the sophisticated Internet cafes. In my area, there are still shops with no network management. Anyway, if no other choice, I would never in a million years, expose my wallet or private keys in a public computer.

maxreish

Activity: 1330
Merit: 326

View Profile
October 10, 2019, 03:07:05 AM

You were aware that it is not secure but you still took the risk and logged in to the public internet cafe. There are so many ways to detect your private keys. I am just wondering, don't you have personal mobile phone to access your crypto wallets? Keyloggers do exists in some computer shops. So, there is a valid reason why you worry this much because they can remotely access your accounts when keyloggers was installed in the computer.

I repeatedly say that common sense is always important here. There is always a choice and a way. If you don't have mobile phone then you can borrow your family's cp or trusted person's mobile phone to access your wallet then clear the history and cache after you use it.
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
October 10, 2019, 03:16:09 AM

I don't think it's that much of an issue, most internet cafes I've visited wipe the computer to a template version after anyone uses it, and it is illegal to install malware on these cafes and track user movements.

Keep in mind, your talking about a real life cafe that's a real buisness, if they tried to steal your stuff they would be hit with a crap tone of fines, you can probably relax in my opinion, maybe use 2fa just in case, but you should be safe.

Zeke_23

Activity: 868
Merit: 333

View Profile
October 10, 2019, 05:30:13 AM

I don't think it's that much of an issue, most internet cafes I've visited wipe the computer to a template version after anyone uses it, and it is illegal to install malware on these cafes and track user movements.

Keep in mind, your talking about a real life cafe that's a real buisness, if they tried to steal your stuff they would be hit with a crap tone of fines, you can probably relax in my opinion, maybe use 2fa just in case, but you should be safe.
There are some internet cafe (not the owner of the cafe but the other customers did) are trying to input some malware or a key logger which will send the information you have input to the computer to their device, I experienced the same thing and I know how very risky it is to access your wallet in an open are such as internet cafe. Its better to use your own computer to secure your account.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AME TRADE HERE
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AME TRADE HERE
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ReiMomo

Activity: 2366
Merit: 305

Duelbits - $100k Bonus/week

View Profile
October 11, 2019, 03:31:19 PM

There are some internet cafe (not the owner of the cafe but the other customers did) are trying to input some malware or a key logger which will send the information you have input to the computer to their device, I experienced the same thing and I know how very risky it is to access your wallet in an open are such as internet cafe. Its better to use your own computer to secure your account.
I think it's not a good idea. I do believe that it is very risky when you are using public computers when accessing the wallet. What if there are people who are watching on you especially when you type your password. They might hack your bitcoin wallet and withdraw all your money so I would highly suggest thinking first before you act. Yes, probably a PC that you used was infected with malware and hacker can manipulate your activities.

Duelbits
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TRY OUR
  NEW  UNIQUE
GAMES!
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DICE 
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███▀▀                     ▀▀███
███    ▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄    ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███   ▀████▀       ▀████▀   ███
███                         ███
███   ▄████▄       ▄████▄   ███
███   ██████       ██████   ███
███    ▀▀▀▀         ▀▀▀▀    ███
███▄▄                     ▄▄███
MINES 
████████████████████████▄▀▄████
██████████████▀▄▄▄▀█████▄▀▄████
████████████▀ █████▄▀████ █████
██████████      █████▄▀▀▄██████
███████▀          ▀████████████
█████▀              ▀██████████
█████                ██████████
████▌                ▐█████████
█████                ██████████
██████▄            ▄███████████
████████▄▄      ▄▄█████████████
PLINKO 
█████████▀▀▀       ▀▀▀█████████
██████▀  ▄▄███ ███      ▀██████
█████  ▄▀▀                █████
████  ▀                    ████
████                       ████
█████                     █████
██████▄                 ▄██████
█████████▄▄▄       ▄▄▄█████████
10,000x
MULTIPLIER
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
October 11, 2019, 10:08:41 PM

Of course there will be users that do dodgy things and try and hack through internet cafe systems, but they have pretty good software and security. Let me explain.

The internet cafes around my area use software which basically creates a new user every time someone logins in and then blocks them from doing anything outside of it, after they finish using the account, it is then wiped, a new user prepared and everything back to normal.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: