Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:09:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Irony on bitcointalk  (Read 627 times)
xtraelv (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
November 09, 2019, 05:02:17 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=260073.0

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
November 12, 2019, 07:24:30 PM

- They might use the info to prosecute innocent people for violating stupid securities laws.

This.

The-One-Above-All

Activity: 252
Merit: 56

View Profile
November 12, 2019, 07:43:31 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2019, 01:14:46 AM by The-One-Above-All

I hear what you are saying, but I do not understand how the trust system now would prevent an anonymous person doing this again? Actually if theymos removed him directly when this went down, then it seems to me the trust system is far weaker now. Does theymos now do kyc on all DT1?

I would say theymos adding him to DT1 only further legitimized him, now more people than in the past are aware that being DT1/DT2 is more of a sign that a given user gives accurate ratings rather than them being inherently trustworthy. Back then I think there were like ~6 users on DT1, now there are around a hundred, being DT1 means nowhere near as much as it used to and that's a good thing.

This is a fair point and one which is undeniable. However, we need to consider that as soon as it was undeniable that he was a danger, he was removed by theymos correct?

The far larger problem now is that, even with undeniable evidence of financially high risk behaviors (multiple counts of)  or even undeniable SCAMMING, there is nothing to say and indeed there is plenty of evidence to demonstrate they are NOT removed, but further entrenched by those they selectively ALLOW to join DT..

The point that DT are now seen as Not essentially trustworthy I would agree with, but only by those that are familiar with meta board. Most hardly know anything about the trust system and take it at face value.
Furthermore we often hear that they give accurate ratings. I mean if they are not 100% trustworthy themselves but are on DT that opens up many vectors of abuse and that their inclusions will eventually entrench themselves to an extent where they are immune to being removed regardless of their actions. There is undeniable incentive to have unreliable trust ratings where DTs are caught out in financially dangerous behaviors.

It is solving one issue but creating a host of other issues including crushing free speech and removing all accountability for DT behaviors.

So to say it is an improvement is not something that really holds water. Crushing free speech is far more important than saving the very most greedy and very most stupid from themselves.  Anyone using the trust score metric at face value is still taking a huge risk and the glaring new issues and problems the new trust system opens far far far outweigh any real benefits.

I would say the most ironic thing about bitcointalk is that  " default trust" is full of undeniable scammers and scammer supporters and that they are able to give negative trust to those that whistle blow on their actions.  

If that is not ironic , nothing is.
Bightening

Activity: 66
Merit: 18

I literally do byte.

View Profile
November 13, 2019, 10:26:36 PM
Merited by xtraelv (1)

I tried to interview trade fortress for an article but he didn't proceed with it.

Do you guys know each other here real life to hold an interview? If it was a good impersonator, you probably won’t find out who you actually interviewed.

BTW, I’m kinda carried away with the memories you guys shared. Quite funny most posts on the thread was too. I came to read about ‘Irony on Bitcointalk’ remember?

I hope there are days when your coffee tastes like magic, your playlist makes you dance, strangers make you smile, and the nightsky touches your soul.
xtraelv (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
November 14, 2019, 06:38:52 AM

I tried to interview trade fortress for an article but he didn't proceed with it.

Do you guys know each other here real life to hold an interview? If it was a good impersonator, you probably won’t find out who you actually interviewed.

BTW, I’m kinda carried away with the memories you guys shared. Quite funny most posts on the thread was too. I came to read about ‘Irony on Bitcointalk’ remember?

You are right that that it would be hard to know whether it is the real person or whether they bought or hacked the account.
You are right that a good hoaxer that has access to the account could possibly pass as the real deal.
Their identity was (DOX) was only suspected - it was never established in a court or confirmed beyond doubt.

I have interviewed a few people on here for articles and for articles in progress. It is not an intense "investigative interview" and generally focuses on what people want to tell me. I try to get their perspective on what happened. Which potentially can be a "story" rather than the truth.  I try to get a balanced perspective by interviewing others involved.

In the crypto sphere articles are often unreliable. I try to get the technical perspectives correct and to get balance by telling multiple perspectives rather than just relying on a single interview. I'm more interested in finding out what actually happened (history) than apportioning blame or a hard hitting report.

We are surrounded by legends on this forum. Phenomenal successes and catastrophic failures. Then there are the scams. This forum is a digital museum.  
* The most iconic historic bitcointalk threads.* Satoshi * Cypherpunks*MtGox*Bitcointalk hacks*pHiShInG* Silk Road*Pirateat40*Knightmb*Miner shams*Forum scandals*BBCode*
Troll spotting*Thank you to madnessteat for my custom avatar hat.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: