Poll
Question: Is College Worth It?
Yes, for the majority - 16 (27.6%)
Not for the majority - 32 (55.2%)
50/50 - 10 (17.2%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is College Worth it? So many graduates In Debt/Underemployed  (Read 4872 times)
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 07:44:40 AM

College = Proof of Work

Proof of Stake = ?

LOL, just thinking out loud.

Isn't it less proof since you can cheat your way through college?

Well, if the peers accept your proof, your transaction gets included in the blockchain. And once that builds on to the next job, the new employer tends to overlook the fork you created.

I mean, if, after 10 years of working as a Network Admin, someone finds out that I cheated my certificates ...

For all other professionals, so long as you pass the board exam or whatever usual requirement is in that industry, then you're probably good to go. Most will not allow you to take the exam though, if you don't show "proof" that you studied that particular profession. (Law, Medical field, Accounting, etc.)

zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 04:28:20 PM

Yes College is good, but not all the people need it!

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
am

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 05:24:23 PM

Yes College is good, but not all the people need it!

Summed up perfectly. It's something that you should do if you're interested but not forced upon you.

Graduate school is broken in this respect at the moment i.e folks go to get the salary and not because they're passionate about the subject matter.
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 11:30:48 PM

It depends on what field you want to get into. If you wanna be a engineer or mechanic, you don't need college.
If you want to be a nurse, you need college.

Depends on the field guys......and even then you're not guaranteed a job.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
is870

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 03:31:25 AM

Smiley good!
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 03:38:41 AM

Think of education as an investment. It costs money, but you might end up with a better chance earning a higher salary.

Some colleges are crap, those aren't worth attending.
CrazyLoaf

Activity: 763
Merit: 534

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 03:49:18 AM
Last edit: March 01, 2017, 02:33:01 AM by CrazyLoaf

null
dotcom

Activity: 354

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:27:44 AM

There is a new documentary showing the latest statistics on federal funding, loans, student debt and college attendance. It compares how the system has changed over the last 50 years.

You can view it at the link below:

http://CrushTheStreet.com/college

or direct youtube link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XfJBgaIrxiQ

In 20 years, a college degree is going to be about as valuable as the toilet paper I wipe my ass with.

As far as right now goes, it absolutely depends on what you're going into. The vast majority of degrees are useless and watered down; aspiring students would be better off self-educating and getting real world experience. People with drive and persistence will succeed and people without won't (regardless of whether they have a degree or not). Things like medical or law degrees will always be tied into college/uni education though, if you're going into such fields you should obviously attend.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:37:34 AM

College is not for the majority of people I don't think. Its useful for certain fields, like the medical field and whatnot, but most people don't need to go to business school, they don't need to get a degree saying they are verified experts at painting or graphic design. Ideally, you shouldn't even need a degree to be a software engineer. In a world that doesn't require a degree to work at McDonalds, you should be able to prove that you are qualified for a job without a piece of paper saying so.

I'm a student, and I see so many people that are wasting their money on frivolous degrees that don't actually better their skills, but just make them "marketable" to employers. I'm a nuclear physics major, so I can talk myself into continuing with my education, as I hope that I'm getting more than just a piece of paper, but there are so many degree paths that are just a waste of money.

I do like to tell the story of my Aunt however, whenever I get super peppy people telling me and others that college is a guarentee that you will get a high paying and high powered job. My aunt got a complete scholarship to Yale, 100% paid for, tuition, books, etc. She went and finished her MBA as salutatorian there. When she graduated, she couldn't find a job, as she was over qualified, and she didn't want to move away from home. So she worked at Walmart/Burger King from then on out. That would be a $350,000 education today. Now imagine if she had paid for it.
epplercharles

Activity: 15
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 04:04:06 AM

Yes it is worth. Some subjects you cannot study at home. College is for learning. You should not study for job opportunity.
Bonam

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 06:18:56 PM

It depends on what field you want to get into. If you wanna be a engineer or mechanic, you don't need college.

An engineer is very different from a mechanic. I would say college is extremely helpful if you're career goal is to be an engineer. Besides the skills/knowledge you learn, pretty much any engineering job requires you to have a degree.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 07:03:16 PM

I might go back to school for "learning", once I can afford to.
Viewing college as a vital investment is a poor choice for many people.
If you are able to start a business or have success at professional sales (for example), then college is a huge waste of money.

CryptoREI

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 07:06:01 PM

It has changed from go to college and figure out what you want to do to, figure out what you want to do and then go to college. If your interested in something that does not require a degree and you can get OJT or Tech training then save some cash and do that. The cost of going to college to "figure out" what you are going to do is not effective any more. It will just cause you to be underpaid and in debt for long periods of time.

quicksalehelp.com
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 07:11:23 PM

I would say the major you pick has to be considered for a correct answer. If you just finished your English poetry degree... Well, let's hope they are hiring at Starbucks.  Embarrassed

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
dissident

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 09:38:08 PM

people skills and 'who you know' are more important than college. It might be unfortunate that this is the case (at least from my perspective) but it's human nature.

There are certain professions (degree majors) that are in demand, while others are a waste of time. Do your research.

I've reached the early 30's and although it's never too late to go to school, to me work is work... if I'm stuck 12 hours a day doing something I'd rather not be doing, that's called work... there are almost no professions I would enjoy so much as to not call it 'work' ...  so I might as well stick it out where I'm at making $20/hour rather than risk going to school, wasting lots of money, with no guarantees going forward... plus you lose so much of what you learned in high school by the time you hit 30....

Everyone on the internet makes $50 per hour and owns their own business so I know I'm poor. Smiley
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 10:35:17 PM

Main issues as I see it:

1. Offer and Supply rules. If too much people graduate a graduation will worth nothing.

2. Wrong direction, 90%+ wants the graduation to get a good job. For this technical education should be enough, college should be for people up to create jobs.

3. Governments living up for statistics, so to display a population with "high education" they create all sort of useless graduations.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
reginalkri

Activity: 285

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 02:56:01 AM

College is a great way to create opportunities for those who were born with parents who have money, while making it harder for those who were born to parents who didn't.

With the internet and the ability to download lets say really efficient classes, it would interesting to eliminate colleges, and have the people who studied the hardest get to learn and get hired by the field of their interest. It would make the most qualified people be at the top, to create a better future.
FutureMoneyTrends (OP)

Activity: 325

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 07:13:55 PM

College = Proof of Work

Proof of Stake = ?

LOL, just thinking out loud.

Isn't it less proof since you can cheat your way through college?

Well, if the peers accept your proof, your transaction gets included in the blockchain. And once that builds on to the next job, the new employer tends to overlook the fork you created.

I mean, if, after 10 years of working as a Network Admin, someone finds out that I cheated my certificates ...

For all other professionals, so long as you pass the board exam or whatever usual requirement is in that industry, then you're probably good to go. Most will not allow you to take the exam though, if you don't show "proof" that you studied that particular profession. (Law, Medical field, Accounting, etc.)

I see what you did there...it's almost as if using the bitcoin network as a metaphor for things makes it more easy to describe

lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 07:14:41 PM

technical college for practicality

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
werrindor

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 10:11:47 PM

I think it is difficult to answer as I think different people need its approach ! I know some people who have succed in business despite the fact they haven't finished college! But mostly it does worth to go there to study
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: