Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:58:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GreenAddress: open source multisig wallet service  (Read 28197 times)
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 06:44:19 PM

GreenBits

GreenAddress and its team are happy to announce the availability of GreenBits in the Android Play and Fdroid open source stores.

• Hardware wallet support: Ledger’s Nano and Satoshilabs’ TREZOR (and clones)

I'm testing the Android app on an Azpen A729 tablet (Android version 4.4.2). The Trezor is detected and GreenBits loads, saying onscreen "Please follow the instructions on your Trezor", but the Trezor just remains on the My Trezor "lock" screen and doesn't do anything.
tryexcept (OP)

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 06:47:48 PM

did you first initialize the Trezor with GreenAddress on the desktop app?

It should notify you if it hasn't been paired yet but that could be why it doesn't work.

mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 07:21:07 PM

did you first initialize the Trezor with GreenAddress on the desktop app?

It should notify you if it hasn't been paired yet but that could be why it doesn't work.

Nope, I didn't realize that that was a necessary step, but, like you said, it didn't notify me of this, either, so it should! Smiley I'll try initializing it.
mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:42:02 PM

Ok, now we've got a problem. The process of creating a wallet on the Desktop app along with a Trezor is *very* confusing. While I'm knowledgeable about bitcoin wallets, I'm completely new to how the Trezor is supposed to work with GreenAddress, so I must not be following the steps properly. I thought that this feature was another way to use my already existing Trezor account from within GreenAddress. Instead, this seems to be some sort of feature to store an existing GreenAddress account on a Trezor? Or what? I obviously am not doing this correctly at all!

What happened the first time was that I didn't copy down the mnemonic when creating the account with it on GreenAddress, because I thought that the Trezor would be acting in this capacity, in other words, I thought that GreenAddress would be reading in the Trezor account that I already have stored on the Trezor.

The on screen instructions were confusing. The instructions asked me to check whether my passphrase was saved and secured, but *no* passphrase was shown for me to write down! This, again, had me assuming that the Trezor would be handling this. So, I just checked the box and moved on to the next step.

You might ask, Why didn't I scan the QR code? I obviously didn't think that I needed to. Usability advice for you guys: Please display the passphrase in plaintext for the user to write down right then and there (if that is the case when using the Trezor), or at least make it explicit to users that they need to scan the QR Code representing the passphrase. Users just aren't going to understand that the QR Code *is* the passphrase (the "Show QR Code" button should actually *explicitly* say "Show QR Code containing passphrase" so that the user understands this).

Anyway, now I don't have my passphrase that I created when I first linked it to my Trezor, and now I can't log in to GreenAddress with my Trezor, nor can I create a new GreenAddress wallet that seems to be associated with my Trezor in any way. Maybe not having the first passphrase has nothing to do with this, and it's something else going on, but here's what's happening:

When I click the "Trezor login" button, I then press the right button on the Trezor to confirm, then I enter my Trezor key into GreenAddress by clicking on the question marks, and then I get either "An error occurred that forced us to log you out". or "Login failed, account not found. Please create a new account with your Trezor."

When I do try to create a new wallet in GreenAddress with the Trezor attached, I *can* later paste in the passphrase from subsequent QR codes that GreenAddress creates and log in, no problem, but that works whether or not the Trezor is attached, so that just seems like a regular GreenAddress wallet, and nothing to do with the Trezor.
tryexcept (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 08:48:44 PM

You didn't pair your Trezor, I think you just created a new GreenAddress wallet.

GreenAddress is a multisig oracle and all wallets you can create with it are either 2of2 or 2of3 (subwallets)

The pairing requires some better instructions.

Anyhow, when creating a new account you can choose if you want to generate a new set of mnemonics (what I think you did) or if you want to use the seed already on your harware wallet (there's a button inside the mnemonic box to do that)

Once that is done you can use the Trezor with GreenBits.

Please note that you can't use your trezor with GreenAddress as a direct 1to1 replacement of myTrezor as we do not support the same wallet format (BIP44) and addresses generated by GreenAddress/GreenBits are multisignature.

mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 09:10:59 PM

You didn't pair your Trezor, I think you just created a new GreenAddress wallet.

GreenAddress is a multisig oracle and all wallets you can create with it are either 2of2 or 2of3 (subwallets)

The pairing requires some better instructions.

When is this done? Do I create a standard GreenAddress wallet, and then pair it in the settings or something?

Creating it on the front end isn't clear at all.

Anyhow, when creating a new account you can choose if you want to generate a new set of mnemonics (what I think you did) or if you want to use the seed already on your harware wallet (there's a button inside the mnemonic box to do that)

I have not seen this option. Can you provide a screenshot of this screen?

Please note that you can't use your trezor with GreenAddress as a direct 1to1 replacement of myTrezor as we do not support the same wallet format (BIP44) and addresses generated by GreenAddress/GreenBits are multisignature.

Are you saying that GreenAddress includes additional functionality that isn't present in myTrezor, or that something is missing from GreenAddress that is in myTrezor?
tryexcept (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 09:18:15 PM

When is this done? Do I create a standard GreenAddress wallet, and then pair it in the settings or something?

Any GreenAddress wallet is automatically paired with GreenAddress in multisig.

What I'm trying to say is that if you want to use your Trezor seed instead of a new set of mnemonics you can by clicking a button during onboarding/signup/registration.

See https://i.imgur.com/V3sgwMO.png

Are you saying that GreenAddress includes additional functionality that isn't present in myTrezor, or that something is missing from GreenAddress that is in myTrezor?

Both. GreenAddress includes additional functionality not present in myTrezor (multisig, per transaction 2FA, limits, etc) and that it does not share the same wallet structure as myTrezor.

That is to say that if you use the same seed on both services you won't be seeing the same transactions or funds. I usually advice people to use different seeds for different services (it helps with your privacy at the very least)

mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 09:45:36 PM

Any GreenAddress wallet is automatically paired with GreenAddress in multisig.

What I'm trying to say is that if you want to use your Trezor seed instead of a new set of mnemonics you can by clicking a button during onboarding/signup/registration.

See https://i.imgur.com/V3sgwMO.png

That just takes me to the "Use TREZOR to create a GreenAddress wallet" screen that I've already been at, which doesn't work after setting it up.

Both. GreenAddress includes additional functionality not present in myTrezor (multisig, per transaction 2FA, limits, etc) and that it does not share the same wallet structure as myTrezor.

That is to say that if you use the same seed on both services you won't be seeing the same transactions or funds. I usually advice people to use different seeds for different services (it helps with your privacy at the very least)

Okay, this isn't a primary concern, but, is there a way to have both, while using the same Trezor device? (in other words, have a Trezor account representing one seed that is used with myTrezor, and another, empty account on myTrezor that is used as the seed for GreenAddress?
tryexcept (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 09:47:34 PM

are you using the chrome app?

I think trezor supports only one seed but you could use different pass phrases for the same seed

mmortal03
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2015, 10:14:46 PM

are you using the chrome app?

Yes.
sbrzol

Activity: 569
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 10:24:16 PM

"You need to wait for previous transactions to get at least 1 confirmations"

Why is this limitation if i want to start another transaction/sending ?
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 11:47:26 AM

"You need to wait for previous transactions to get at least 1 confirmations"

Why is this limitation if i want to start another transaction/sending ?

If you send/receive a transaction and somehow, it was dropped from the Blockchain. Then, the transaction you send will be like invalid because the TX hash of your input(s) will be invalid as the TX isn't existing in Blockchain. I hope you understand. Smiley

P.S. AFAIK all wallets have this restriction/limitation.

-MZ

PenguinFire

Activity: 154

That Darn Cat

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 07:19:47 AM

Cool concept.  I think I will give this one a go.  Smiley

sbrzol

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:20:10 AM

Until 20th Feb  , the fee was the usual  0.1  but now it is 0.16621    (for me)
it is 66 % increase   , why?    if i make 10 transactions daily , my monthly fee will be $12 , is this normal ?

sbrzol

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 09:39:23 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2015, 11:27:48 AM by sbrzol

Until 20th Feb  , the fee was the usual  0.1  but now it is 0.16621    (for me)
it is 66 % increase   , why?    if i make 10 transactions daily , my monthly fee will be $12 , is this normal ?

lol

Amount
    1,900.00 mBTC

Fee
    0.42434 mBTC

it is time to fill the Fee field by yourself with the default 0.1 mBTC  or you will have to pay more and more fees if you allow greenaddress to set your transaction fees
(It took 5 minutes for the first confirmation  with 0.1 mBTC fee , so i cant understand why greenaddress want me (and others) to pay 4 times more than the earlier fee)
sbrzol

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 07:03:20 PM

It would be great if there were an option  in the settings  for default transaction fee.
Because now it is very annoying that i have to set it always to 0.1
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:45:36 PM

Hi GreenAddress People:

I'm posting this here just 'cuz I'm not sure where it should go... already tried emailing for support (over a week ago) but got no reply as of yet, so...  Roll Eyes

Topic is: I am having a problem with the GoogleAuth 2FA on my GreenAddress wallet/account.  GAuth is working fine for other sites I use it with (LBC, BC.INFO, etc) so it's not likely a time-sync issue.

Obviously the QRCode for my GreenAddress wallet *SHOULD BE* okay since it worked at first, i.e. when I first set it up!

But it's now stopped working, for some reason.

Any time I enter the GAuth code for anything in GreenAddress all I get is the "code is wrong" error.  I've tried it on the website based wallet, on my iPhone using the app, and even using the GoogleChrome standalone app. Same problem each time.  GAuth just not recognized as correct, ever, anywhere.  Just ain't working.

So I then tried turning OFF the 2FA entirely, but doing that requires a GoogleAuth code!  So, duh, that's not gonna work either.

At the moment I have only about $20-$30 worth of bitcoin in my GreenAddress wallet (was just using it to test out how GreenAddress works, before committing more funds to it perhaps) but those bitcoin are now essentially locked away from me, can't MOVE anything without the 2FA code.

I *do* still have my mnenomic for the wallet, so hopefully that means that I can, somehow, still get the bitcoin out of this wallet, if the 2FA problem/issue cannot be resolved?  How would I go about doing that, exactly?

Again, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place or should be on it's own topic here... moderators please feel free to move topic if so.

TIA for any/all help anyone can provide.

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 05:16:34 PM

I'm posting this here just 'cuz I'm not sure where it should go... already tried emailing for support (over a week ago) but got no reply as of yet, so...  Roll Eyes

Hmm... the one time I emailed them, they got back to me the next morning....

GAuth is working fine for other sites I use it with (LBC, BC.INFO, etc) so it's not likely a time-sync issue.

I'm not sure what the technical issue might be. FWIW it's working for me at the moment.

I *do* still have my mnenomic for the wallet, so hopefully that means that I can, somehow, still get the bitcoin out of this wallet, if the 2FA problem/issue cannot be resolved?  How would I go about doing that, exactly?

The whole point of 2FA w/multisig wallets is that you can't access them without your 2FA... if there was a simple recovery procedure, that'd mostly defeat the purpose. I take it you only set up one 2FA method, with no backup method?

Did you ever add an email address to your GA account (you can't add one now because it requires a 2FA code)? If so, it is possible to regain access to your funds even w/o GA's help but there will be a pretty long delay (probably around 90 days). Let me know and I'll point you towards the directions to do this, in case GA doesn't get back to you.
tryexcept (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 05:30:41 PM

Hi,

Google auth works for our accounts too. if it works for other sites it may mean they have a more relaxed timeout while GreenAddress only allows the codes in the window shown in the authenticator app.

this is to say that this points to a tiny synchronization issue that usually is fixed by a resync of the app (sometimes a full restart of the phone seems necessary)

let us know if this fixes it and if not we can try to work out something.

some users have found a way by using codes after they expire (which assumes the phone has the clock slightly ahead)

KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:48:53 PM

Hi, thanks for replies.

I tried the "enter GAuth code after time expired" trick... but no go.  Didn't work, still just says invalid code.

This wallet DOES have my email associated with it, so that's good news, I suppose?  What can be done at GA's end with this info?  Maybe manually turn on email 2FA or something??

The main problem here, I suppose, is that the ONLY setting enabled for this wallet's 2FA at the moment is Google Authenticator.  And since GA saw fit to stop working for whatever reason, I'm locked out prevented from doing anything.

Earlier, I had the voice phone option enabled at first (before GAuth) but I found it annoying so I turned it off.  So the only 2FA enabled now is JUST Google... clearly in hindsight my main mistake here I guess is not keeping a second 2FA choice turned ON, but for some reason I was thinking there had to be only one at a time enabled.

Might be a good idea in the GreenAddress UI to make a note that "more is better" (?) to prevent others in the future from making this mistake?

So... next step here? HOW to get some other 2FA going somehow, so I can turn OFF and/or re-install or re-initialize GoogleAuth???

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: