Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:08:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GreenAddress: open source multisig wallet service  (Read 28197 times)
tryexcept (OP)

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 12:06:41 AM

As far as I know there's nothing wrong with you Google Authenticator seed and assuming your phone didn't flip some bits internally you just need to synchronize your phone properly.

It happens often that Google Authenticator goes out of sync.

We can't just enable any other 2FA ourselves. With the email what you can do is unlock the funds yourself when the timelock expires, which is by default 90 days from your last transaction unless you have changed this value. This is by using a zip attached to the emails and a tool called Gentle you can use with Firefox.

I would not concentrate on this option just yet as I am pretty sure a resync to Google Authenticator will do the trick, it is always this in the end when it doesn't work properly.

Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 12:09:25 AM

This wallet DOES have my email associated with it, so that's good news, I suppose?

It is... it means it is possible (although a small bit painful) to recover your funds, even in the worst case.

What can be done at GA's end with this info?

tryexcept is a GA employee, I'd wait for his response, perhaps he can help. (edited: oops, looks like he beat me to the punch)

Might be a good idea in the GreenAddress UI to make a note that "more is better" (?) to prevent others in the future from making this mistake?

I agree, if someone enables only a single 2FA method that offers no recovery option, it would be nice to warn them of potential issues.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 12:10:12 AM

I just installed the Chrome app and I've got to say I love the wallet. Great work!

KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 02:39:07 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2015, 03:34:21 PM by KeyJockey

Hi Folks:

Okay I'm back here to this thread, and over the last week or so I've tried *everything* I can, based on info above, to get my GreenAddress wallet working again.

But nothing I do works, the GoogleAuth 2FA simply just always says invalid.

I've tried rebooting my iPhone, I'm even using another instance of Google Auth via the Chrome applet (and both iPhone and applet are giving the same codes, simultaneously, on totally different hardware: so that would SEEM to indicate that everything is sync'ed up correctly, right?)

I could've sworn that I had it working *at first* though... I saved the QR code and text info and checking that against my GAuth setup appears to be okay.  And ALL OTHER instances of GoogleAuth I'm using everywhere else, like on my blockchain.info wallet and for localbitcoins etc, are ALL working fine!

So, WHAT could have gone wrong here, really? What am I missing?

Anyway, if the GoogleAuth thing can't be fixed somehow, what's next?

Do I have to wait for the 90 days time-out and get the coin out of this wallet that way? That'll be around end of June or early July I guess.

How exactly do I do that?  OR would it be better to wait until then and address it in another forum topic?

TIA for all help.

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 04:44:29 PM

WHAT could have gone wrong here, really? What am I missing?

No bright ideas from me....

The only other troubleshooting step I can think of would be to extract the shared secret from Google Auth, and check to see if it matches the shared secret on GA's side. Doing so would require your phone be rooted, and would require some work on your part (and on GA's).

So... anyway, if the GoogleAuth thing can't be fixed somehow, what's next?

Do I have to wait for the 90 days time-out and get the coin out of this wallet that way? That'll be around end of June or early July I guess.

How exactly do I do that?  OR would it be better to wait until then and address it in another forum topic?

First step: log in, go to Settings -> Security, and click the "Send all nLockTime transactions by email", and save the nlocktimes.zip file you receive via email in a safe place (and be sure to keep your mnemonic around somewhere too, it'll also be required later).

Second step: figure out when you can perform the recovery. Use a block explorer to determine the date and the tx height (in blocks) of your most recent tx (inbound or outbound). Assuming you haven't changed the defaults, add 12960 to this tx height, and add 90 days to the date. Set a reminder on your calendar for this +90 days date.

Step three: visit here: http://greenaddress.github.io/gentle/, and do a "File -> Save as" to save the web page recovery tool to your PC. Keep it along side the file you saved from the first step.

Step four: Wait.... when your reminder date comes nears, check the block height of the most recent block at your favorite block explorer, and if it exceeds the the height you recorded in step two, open the page you saved in step three and follow the instructions. You'll need your full mnemonic at this point as well.

The recovery page only works with Firefox and Chrome (but see here to work around a problem when using it with Chrome). I've tested this procedure once in the past, and had no trouble getting it to work (except for the Chrome issue I just mentioned).
KeyJockey

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:01:47 PM

OK, thanks.

I got the emailed ZIP file... not really sure yet what that enclosed "nlocktimes.encrypted" file is for, but I suppose it'll become clearer later.

Anyway, last transaction was on 03-17-2015 so gotta wait till about mid-June to proceed here I guess... at least it's only about $35 worth of bitcoin stuck there, good thing I didn't move more into GreenAddress until I've thoroughly learned/understand all of this stuff.

BTW I should say I do like the GreenAddress wallet overall, it's just pretty clear that users need to be fully informed of the pitfalls and hazards of this more ADVANCED encryption and wallet protection technology, before using it seriously. "Being Your Own Bank" with bitcoin means nobody else can fix it for you if YOU screw it up (like I did, by not having a second 2FA option enabled).

So, hopefully my messing this up here and talking about it on the forum might help others avoid problems: my pain is your gain LOL

I'll be back after about 6-17 to continue this saga, Stay Tuned  Tongue

mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 12:45:10 PM

I never got my Trezor to pair with the Chrome app. tryexcept was helping me, starting here (but we never solved the problem): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521988.msg10398518#msg10398518

Question: Do you have to wipe the Trezor to use it with GreenAddress? I already have a regular Trezor wallet on there. Maybe that is the problem? I see that there is the option to clone a GreenAddress wallet to a hardware device, but it has to wipe the device to do so.
sbrzol

Activity: 569
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 05:08:26 PM

It would be great if there were an option  in the settings  for default transaction fee.
Because now it is very annoying that i have to set it always to 0.1

thx  for do nothing

When i add a new entry to the address book and want to use it at the send money tab I almost always got an error:  "Invalid recipient address."  (I have to select it many times before your system will accept it after send money button click )
Please fix it.
sbrzol

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 07:26:34 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2015, 08:08:34 PM by sbrzol

If somebody has 2 or more greenaddress wallets then he has to clear the browser history (cookies, etc.)  to be able to login to another wallet, because at login page you can only enter your pin number and there is no button to forget current wallet data. (login with another account/wallet)

btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2015, 08:33:27 PM

If somebody has 2 or more greenaddress wallets then he has to clear the browser history (cookies, etc.)  to be able to login to another wallet, because at login page you can only enter your pin number and there is no button to forget current wallet data. (login with another account/wallet)

Do you not have a "Show other logins" option just below the PIN field?

sbrzol

View Profile
May 01, 2015, 02:54:56 PM

Do you not have a "Show other logins" option just below the PIN field?

Ok, it works, but if i login with my other wallet (with passphrase) and logout and login again (with pin number, same pin) then i will be logged in into my 1st wallet and not into my 2nd wallet that i used the last time.
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2015, 03:30:41 PM

Ok, it works, but if i login with my other wallet (with passphrase) and logout and login again (with pin number, same pin) then i will be logged in into my 1st wallet and not into my 2nd wallet that i used the last time.

Sounds to me like that might be a bug....

Just a suggestion: if you're only using different accounts for keeping funds separate, it might make more sense to use the built-in multiple accounts feature (near the bottom of the settings page).
miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 18, 2015, 11:44:59 PM

Sounds to me like that might be a bug....

Just a suggestion: if you're only using different accounts for keeping funds separate, it might make more sense to use the built-in multiple accounts feature (near the bottom of the settings page).

is the bug confirmed / fixed?
miguelmorales85

Activity: 544

View Profile
May 25, 2015, 06:05:38 PM

I have the app GreenBits installed on my Android phone.

When I try to sweep a Wallet after scanning the private keys the following message is displayed:
"Not Enough Money"

The wallet has 0.5$ in BTC
Isn't that enough to sweep the funds?
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2015, 07:01:28 PM

I'm having trouble accessing my funds in the GreenBits app and can't login on the website either (it just keeps saying that I'm already logged in - maybe my phone didn't log out correctly?)

I'm using the LG Nexus 5 with a TREZOR.

KeyJockey

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 01:48:37 PM

OK, I am BACK.

I got an emailed notice yesterday that said:

>>>Some of your deposits will soon expire because of nLockTime.
>>>
>>>Please log in at https://greenaddress.it/wallet/ to re-deposit them.

...which I assume is related to my problem (above) of having screwed up my 2FA/GoogleAuth setup in my GreenAddress wallet.

So: what do I need to do here? 

I want to either get the small amount of bitcoin OUT of that wallet, moved into a new GreenAddress wallet I will set up again from scratch (hopefully not goofing up the 2FA this time) -OR- just somehow re-set the existing wallet again (turn off 2FA?) so I can use it... what's the best way to go here?

Please "ELI5" to a noob (me) as simple as possible LOL

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 02:10:26 PM

OK, I am BACK.

I got an emailed notice yesterday that said:

>>>Some of your deposits will soon expire because of nLockTime.
>>>
>>>Please log in at https://greenaddress.it/wallet/ to re-deposit them.

...which I assume is related to my problem (above) of having screwed up my 2FA/GoogleAuth setup in my GreenAddress wallet.

So: what do I need to do here? 

I want to either get the small amount of bitcoin OUT of that wallet, moved into a new GreenAddress wallet I will set up again from scratch (hopefully not goofing up the 2FA this time) -OR- just somehow re-set the existing wallet again (turn off 2FA?) so I can use it... what's the best way to go here?

Please "ELI5" to a noob (me) as simple as possible LOL

nLockTime transactions will have a pre-set period of time and deposits 'expire' when the period is up. It is enabled by default when you have email notifications and two factor enabled. Every time the funds expire the user has to re-transfer them. This can be automated on login and notified in advance via email or manually done.

GreenAddress will send a transaction with nLockTime whenever a deposit is made. This transaction sends the funds back to the depositor. The nLockTime transaction will have expiry and after this time, it will be included in a block and the user who deposited will get the funds back.

For redeeming the funds after expiration, you can use https://gentle.greenaddress.it/. You can download this webpage from https://github.com/greenaddress/gentle so that if the website goes down, you can still redeem funds.

Always keep your nLockTime transaction safely.

KeyJockey

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 02:26:23 PM

Hi Muhammed: okay thanks for that, but gotta say it's still pretty much going over my head LOL

No idea what's really goin' on here... I feel like I'm pretty up to speed on bitcoin in general BUT this advanced stuff is still not really GELLING so fast.  Bitcoin still has a long way to go before the average man on the street is gonna be able to handle it.

Anyway, okay, I just blindly forged ahead here and went to that "gentle" website, using my mnenomic and the ZIP file.

Entering those, it chewed on it for a bit and then presented me a page showing two private keys, with a check box and a button for if I wanted to PUSH the listed transactions.

Now, not really knowing what else I could do I figured, (insert Hunter S. Thompson voice impression here) "okay, why not?"

Pushed them, copied private keys into a new "import" wallet using the (more simple and relatively easy to understand, for me) blockchain.info wallet service... and now the bitcoin seems to have been (mostly?) moved to this blockchain wallet.

Less a little dust, apparently, for fees and whatnot... not exactly the balance that I thought I had there but so far so good.

SO... bottom line?  Funds recovered and sent back to my main working address.  All good.

I want to now TRY AGAIN and set up a new GreenAddress wallet (delete all traces of the old damaged one from my system, desktop PC and iPhone app both)... hopefully not goofing up the 2FA settings this time.

How should I best go about doing that, next?

TIA for all comments Smiley

btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 03:23:39 PM

Pushed them, copied private keys into a new "import" wallet using the (more simple and relatively easy to understand, for me) blockchain.info wallet service... and now the bitcoin seems to have been (mostly?) moved to this blockchain wallet.

I'm glad you finally worked everything out!

It's possible that some of your deposits have not yet expired, even if most of your larger ones have. If there are still funds left in your old wallet, you may want to try this process again in another week or two to recover the remaining funds (if any).

I want to now TRY AGAIN and set up a new GreenAddress wallet (delete all traces of the old damaged one from my system, desktop PC and iPhone app both)... hopefully not goofing up the 2FA settings this time.

It should be pretty straight-forward. On one of your devices, launch the app and choose "Create new Wallet" in the upper right corner. On your other devices (if any), click the slider at the bottom labeled "Show other logins", and use your full mnemonic (from step one) to log in.

Since the app only keeps track of the most recently used wallet, there's no need to do any wallet deleting.

FYI when you set up 2FA, I think you might need to use a separate email address, not sure though.... (And of course this goes without saying: give them an email address and enable notifications just like you did last time in case you need to do an account recovery again Wink)
sbrzol

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 02:53:15 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2015, 03:51:15 PM by sbrzol

I'm having trouble accessing my funds in the GreenBits app and can't login on the website either (it just keeps saying that I'm already logged in - maybe my phone didn't log out correctly?)

I'm using the LG Nexus 5 with a TREZOR.

Me too.
I cannot login more than 6 hours.

"You are already logged in. Do you want to log out the other session?"

There is no other session. I restarted my PC and tried to login with 3 different browsers too.  

I always got the same error message.

I have 2 wallets, I can login with the another one.  So it is very interesting.

The wallet i cannot login has no 2 factor authentication and perhaps i did not give any email address at the wallet creation time . (so there is no nlocktime files) .
(As i see 2 factor authentication is now required to create  a new wallet)

I hope greenaddress could fix this bug or they will owe me 60 bitcoins.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: