Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:32:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Myriadcoin and 51% attack/selfish mining  (Read 2125 times)
devphp (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 12:38:21 PM

I have a question for tech-savvy folks around here.

Is Myriadcoin more tolerant to 51% attack and especially selfish mining issue due to its 5 independent algos/difficulties. Mostly selfish mining. 51% not so much I believe, but still. Anyone willing to give a good technical explanation? I am not that familiar with all mining details and may be wrong here, but I think selfish mining would be more difficult to perform with Myriadcoin compared to Bitcoin, and that would be a big improvement over Bitcoin. I may be totally wrong though. Anyone?
devphp (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:40:37 PM

what, no expert miners?
foodies123

Activity: 322

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:43:16 PM

well to have a 51% attacks in a coin with 5 independent algos would mean to have the power to 51% 3 different algos but for each and I don't know if even that's enough if your hashpower on 3 algos is let's say 3th the combined hashpower on the other two plus the other 49% on the 3 different algos would still be quite bigger than yours. It's practically impossible.

nope
devphp (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:57:28 AM

Can someone confirm?
ahmed_bodi

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 10:56:23 AM

to 51% myriad afaik. you would need 51% of each algorithm (technically only 20% or so is required for a chance of success. 51% is pretty much guaranteed (thats how wdc got attacked))

and selfish mining from what i know would just cause the selfish miner to fork due to the requirements to have the other algo's

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.
devphp (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:48:16 AM

to 51% myriad afaik. you would need 51% of each algorithm (technically only 20% or so is required for a chance of success. 51% is pretty much guaranteed (thats how wdc got attacked))

and selfish mining from what i know would just cause the selfish miner to fork due to the requirements to have the other algo's

Ok, so I take it as yes, myriadcoin is technically more secure and less easy to attack compared to bitcoin.
mami

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:59:25 AM

Ok, so I take it as yes, myriadcoin is technically more secure and less easy to attack compared to bitcoin.

However, it has 5x or greater risk of an algo being compromised mathematically (groestl, qubit and skein are still somewhat experimental, right?)...

Although I suppose the coin could be hardforked if such an event occurred?
devphp (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:04:08 AM

However, it has 5x or greater risk of an algo being compromised mathematically (groestl, qubit and skein are still somewhat experimental, right?)...

Although I suppose the coin could be hardforked if such an event occurred?

I am not a dev, but I suppose yeah, if any algo is compromised, it can be removed completely or replaced with a different algo. I read in their Announcement thread that they plan to add another independent CPU-only algo to the mix. Thus a hard fork is possible, and new algos can be added/old ones removed like plugins. On the other hand, if sha256 or scrypt is ever compromised, then sha256-only or scrypt-only coins are under danger, because they don't have other algos to fall back on to keep the network running.

But let's wait for devs to clarify, we're only guessing.
devphp (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:45:29 AM

Now that Myriadcoin shows signs of growth, any more opinions on the matter?
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 10:55:25 AM

Now that Myriadcoin shows signs of growth, any more opinions on the matter?

100x gains possible
-new technology
-secure
-no clones (yet)

spiffcow

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 08:24:15 PM

What's currently the most profitable Myriad algorithm to mine?  I'm doing Groestl right now, but returns are pretty anemic.
foodies123

Activity: 322

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 09:07:04 PM

What's currently the most profitable Myriad algorithm to mine?  I'm doing Groestl right now, but returns are pretty anemic.

check my sig, click on the block explorer, get required info, profit.

nope
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: