Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:13:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street and BTC Prices  (Read 3042 times)
bittenbob (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 06:02:05 AM

It seems to me that many of the people who are from the OWS movement would be supporters of the BTC movement. Given that so many of them are camping out in various occupy protests around the world I can't help but think that this is affecting current BTC prices through non activity/involvement from them. Just opening the door to a conversation here but I think this may have prices temporarily lower than they should be.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 06:15:31 AM

It seems to me that many of the people who are from the OWS movement would be supporters of the BTC movement. Given that so many of them are camping out in various occupy protests around the world I can't help but think that this is affecting current BTC prices through non activity/involvement from them. Just opening the door to a conversation here but I think this may have prices temporarily lower than they should be.

That's exactly what we need: An inflow of liberal blowhards with their hands out. Sounds awesome.

bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 06:27:11 AM

That's exactly what we need: An inflow of liberal blowhards with their hands out. Sounds awesome.

Wow, what a hatred filled statement. Why is it that people assume that Liberals are those with their hands held out? It seems to me that the right wingers (IE big corporations) have received more of the handouts in the last 10 years than the little guy. There are many liberal minded folk who are hard working and probably more productive than the i hate any government right winger folks. I suppose you think Richard Branson is sitting there with his hands held out too don't you?

(Edit)

Let me add that the right wingers only dislike government if it is to provide some liberty or service. If it infringes on civil liberties or is about curtailing services then they are all for it. Funny how screwed up some peoples priorities are. Just ask anyone who has come from communism/marxism how they feel about our current governments insistence on spying on all of our conversations and what it would have resulted in back then.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 06:37:02 AM

Wow, what a hatred filled statement. Why is it that people assume that Liberals are those with their hands held out? It seems to me that the right wingers (IE big corporations) have received more of the handouts in the last 10 years than the little guy. There are many liberal minded folk who are hard working and probably more productive than the i hate any government right winger folks. I suppose you think Richard Branson is sitting there with his hands held out too don't you?

(Edit)

Let me add that the right wingers only dislike government unless it is to provide some liberty or service. If it infringes on civil liberties or is about curtailing services then they are all for it. Funny how screwed up some peoples priorities are. Just ask anyone who has come from communism/marxism how they feel about our current governments insistence on spying on all of our conversations and what it would have resulted in back then.

I can't be sure, but I am relatively certain that you haven't had any direct exposure to these events. I've actually gone to a few, to check out the real happenings on the ground, and to talk to the people running them. They are complete social rejects. I even decided to troll Occupy Honolulu with a friend. He agreed to dress up in a suit and hold the sign I made.

There needs be structural changes, but your suggestion earlier would have far more merit. However, Zhou made a good point as well, and the fact is that poor people absolutely suck at managing wealth. We don't need a complete rebalancing, but we do need term limits for congressmen and senators, and it wouldn't hurt if the majority of bankers were stripped of their rights and thrown in jail.

Still, OWS protesters are douchebags.

-Jonathan

bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 06:44:54 AM

I planned on attending my local rally on the one day it was supposed to be here but I ended up having a job interview for a major corporation who I wont name and didn't get the job anyways. I currently have a job but the other corporation probably just felt I was overqualified (which I am) for the job. However I do support what the protestors stand for 100%. The guy with the sign is funny I will give you that but there are legitimate issues all around the world. While many people suck at managing wealth it depends on what your definition of "managing" means. If it means marginalizing people and making money for doing nothing then yes they would defintiely suck at it. If it means that they are only digging themselves further in debt you may have a point. But you have to remember that for most people incomes are fixed or declining and prices are rising exponentially so there arent many choices available. I am one of the ones who have seen my wages stay stagnant while costs rise exponentially so they have my vote.

People are too quick to dismiss those they dont agree with as social rejects or "hippies". Labels are lame. I still maintain that these people if they were not camping out would also have a larger percentage of people than the general population who would be participating in the bitcoin economy.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 06:46:29 AM

I'll take an active interest in elaborating on what an interesting, unique, powerful, and potentially game-changing system Bitcoin is.

Also in mentioning the preponderance of shitheads in the community...in case it is not immediately obvious.  When the initial awe of the system wears off it is not hard to understand why this state of affairs exists.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 07:08:58 AM

We don't really need income equality. Some people are lazy and some are hard working. They deserve to be treated differently.

Actually all we need is social mobility - everyone has a fair chance to get wealth through competition. All kinds of economic regulation, taxes, etc are plainly adding friction to the society. Economic growth is pretty much an excuse for degrading society today.

I mostly disagree on the protesters. The real people we should care about are the ones without the opportunity to protest. College graduates who are in the debt trap deserve empathy, but how about the other people who couldn't even go to college? With proper management skills, there should be no problems about the educated groups of people.

I don't feel sad for poor people who blame the rich for making too much money. The real problem is how fast can wealth be redistributed.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 07:11:44 AM

We don't really need income equality. Some people are lazy and some are hard working. They deserve to be treated differently.

Actually all we need is social mobility - everyone has a fair chance to get wealth through competition. All kinds of economic regulation, taxes, etc are plainly adding friction to the society. Economic growth is pretty much an excuse for degrading society today.

I mostly disagree on the protesters. The real people we should care about are the ones without the opportunity to protest. College graduates who are in the debt trap deserve empathy, but how about the other people who couldn't even go to college? With proper management skills, there should be no problems about the educated groups of people.

I don't feel sad for poor people who blame the rich for making too much money. The real problem is how fast can wealth be redistributed.

I am a college graduate and am getting out of the debt trap. Many of the OWS are too. I still have yet to pay off my student loan but the rest of my debt will be gone soon. The corporations refuse to hire anyone without experience and look for ridiculous requirements that just do not exist in the real world then claim of a skills shortage. I think corporations need to be more realistic with their expectations and reward those who are edcuated better. The OWS are not necessarily protesting for income equality but equal chance in todays world which we are quite a ways off of.

(Edit)

My grandpa who is hardcore conservative used to say that you could either be a bum or a millionaire if you wanted when I was younger but now too agrees that this is not the case in the world we live in. You basically have the choice of being a bum or poor unless you know the right people. Even then if you go to school for many years you still may end up a bum because the opportunities just arent out there and the wealthy elite are hogging all that they can. As I saw on the CBC here the other night, North American corporations have never been more profitable nor hold more relative cash reservese but they are reluctant to spend it. This means no raises, cutting benefits and worsening working conditions. If you do not see it then you are one of the few lucky ones not affected.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 07:13:17 AM

trogdorjw73

Activity: 482

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 07:25:42 AM

I am a college graduate and am getting out of the debt trap. Many of the OWS are too. I still have yet to pay off my student loan but the rest of my debt will be gone soon. The corporations refuse to hire anyone without experience and look for ridiculous requirements that just do not exist in the real world then claim of a skills shortage. I think corporations need to be more realistic with their expectations and reward those who are edcuated better. The OWS are not necessarily protesting for income equality but equal chance in todays world which we are quite a ways off of.

(Edit)

My grandpa who is hardcore conservative used to say that you could either be a bum or a millionaire if you wanted when I was younger but now too agrees that this is not the case in the world we live in. You basically have the choice of being a bum or poor unless you know the right people. Even then if you go to school for many years you still may end up a bum because the opportunities just arent out there and the wealthy elite are hogging all that they can. As I saw on the CBC here the other night, North American corporations have never been more profitable nor hold more relative cash reservese but they are reluctant to spend it. This means no raises, cutting benefits and worsening working conditions. If you do not see it then you are one of the few lucky ones not affected.
I disagree that NA corporations are more profitable than ever; some are doing great, and many are not. Most of the corporations doing well are only doing well by outsourcing to China and India, and that's another can of worms that will come back to bite us in the ass. But I digress....

Here's the problem with college these days: first, kids take out huge loans they cannot hope to repay when they graduate, and then they expect to be hired and paid a reasonable salary. Hey, I graduated in CS, took a job as an entry-level programmer earning $45K, got laid off (quite a while back), and ten years later I'm *still* trying to pay off my student loans -- and I only had about $20K in loans. I know idiots people that took out $100K for a liberal arts education, and it's ludicrous for them to expect to pay it off. Whose fault is it that they decided to go to a school that charges $20K in tuition? Hint: it's not the "system" but rather the entitlement generation.

I'd argue that the problem with the US right now (and much of the first world countries) is that there are too many college graduates that only learned to jump through the hoops necessary for graduation. I've read some studies that show the quality and productivity of an employee has essentially no correlation whatsoever with whether or not they graduated from college, and my experience in the work force backs that up. I've met people that never attended a university at all that are amazing at what they do (in the computer field), and I've met people with masters and doctorate degrees that don't know squat.

Funny thing is I hear people talk about Atlas Shrugged as though it has something to do with OWS. I'd say the fundamentals of Atlas Shrugged (or Ayn Rand's Objectivism) is the exact opposite of what OWS is asking for. Yet another example of how OWS people seem to be clueless about what they're doing. Couple that with the vandalism, trash, etc. they generate with no regard for those around them, and if they were in the world of Atlas Shrugged John Galt would be saying, "Let them rot and die with the system they expect to help them."

bittenbob (OP)

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 07:33:50 AM

(Edit)

I disagree that NA corporations are more profitable than ever; some are doing great, and many are not. Most of the corporations doing well are only doing well by outsourcing to China and India, and that's another can of worms that will come back to bite us in the ass. But I digress....

Here's the problem with college these days: first, kids take out huge loans they cannot hope to repay when they graduate, and then they expect to be hired and paid a reasonable salary. Hey, I graduated in CS, took a job as an entry-level programmer earning $45K, got laid off (quite a while back), and ten years later I'm *still* trying to pay off my student loans -- and I only had about $20K in loans. I know idiots people that took out $100K for a liberal arts education, and it's ludicrous for them to expect to pay it off. Whose fault is it that they decided to go to a school that charges $20K in tuition? Hint: it's not the "system" but rather the entitlement generation.

I'd argue that the problem with the US right now (and much of the first world countries) is that there are too many college graduates that only learned to jump through the hoops necessary for graduation. I've read some studies that show the quality and productivity of an employee has essentially no correlation whatsoever with whether or not they graduated from college, and my experience in the work force backs that up. I've met people that never attended a university at all that are amazing at what they do (in the computer field), and I've met people with masters and doctorate degrees that don't know squat.

Funny thing is I hear people talk about Atlas Shrugged as though it has something to do with OWS. I'd say the fundamentals of Atlas Shrugged (or Ayn Rand's Objectivism) is the exact opposite of what OWS is asking for. Yet another example of how OWS people seem to be clueless about what they're doing. Couple that with the vandalism, trash, etc. they generate with no regard for those around them, and if they were in the world of Atlas Shrugged John Galt would be saying, "Let them rot and die with the system they expect to help them."

I agree that somthe people that took out loans for liberal arts degrees are idiots and so are those that took out 100k in loans for careers that dont nor will ever exist. I took out loans for a technical degree in a field which was supposed to be booming. The problem is that my degree is not enough for any of the companies hiring. In order to meet their qualifications I would have to go back and get another 45k studnet debt with no guarantee for a job. I havent done so and don't have plans to. In fact I plan on becoming a licensed electrician through IBEW. I would recommend any kid today to not listen to their teachers and take up a trade. It may take several years to get in but when you do it will be worth it.

I agree there are too many college graduates too but the companies are still claiming skills shortages which is complete BS. There are some things that cant be oursourced but we import too much labor here in Canada and essentially get the third world wages for technical careers here. The foreigners I work with are great people and I respect them deeply but this is a major part of the problem.

The statement about corporations never being more profitable comes directly from the news here. I can also tell you that the profits at the company I work for have increased significantly year over year throughout the recession and they still cite the economy as why they have frozen wages and refuse to invest in new equipment. Yes some companies are hurting but as a whole they are doing very well financially. I would even argue that because of all this they are the reason for the slow down in the economy. Continuous growth is also not sustainable and essentially is what causes inflation. Inflation is a hidden tax on all of us.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 11:44:02 AM

I don't really want to dive into this discussion, just state one thing.

(...) liberal blowhards with their hands out.

For any reasonable, internationally used definition of "liberal", this makes no sense. It's like saying "those damn communists always wanting free trade", just the other way around. How can someone who marches onto a stock exchange to hinder trade there possibly be a liberal?

Liberals, by the very meaning of the word, endorse freedom. One cannot be a liberal and demand others to pay excessive amounts of tax money for some personal agenda, because that would go against the personal freedom of the taxpayers.

Sure, it's possible to name a party "liberal" and then just do arbitrary different politics, but if you refer to such people, name them by their party.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 11:56:06 AM

I don't really want to dive into this discussion, just state one thing.

(...) liberal blowhards with their hands out.

For any reasonable, internationally used definition of "liberal", this makes no sense. It's like saying "those damn communists always wanting free trade", just the other way around. How can someone who marches onto a stock exchange to hinder trade there possibly be a liberal?

Liberals, by the very meaning of the word, endorse freedom. One cannot be a liberal and demand others to pay excessive amounts of tax money for some personal agenda, because that would go against the personal freedom of the taxpayers.

Sure, it's possible to name a party "liberal" and then just do arbitrary different politics, but if you refer to such people, name them by their party.

In this country, Liberal means "hands out" and lots of freebies. What's your point? You just want to read your own writing?

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 12:47:26 PM

In this country, Liberal means "hands out" and lots of freebies. What's your point? You just want to read your own writing?

In this country, liberal means pro-market. What's your point, do you want to write exclusively for your country? If even that, I doubt everybody agrees on that kind of meaning.

When there's a collision in terminology, it's a good idea to take a step back for a moment and think about it. Usually, there is a clear answer how a word should be used. Identifying "liberal" with "demanding freebies" is just an English play on words that start with "free".

How can one do a political map if the entire "liberal versus socialist market" axis collapses to "liberal versus liberal market"? This is trying to identify an expression with its opposite. One could place liberals on the socialist side, away from the libertarians, but that does not look right either.
memvola

Activity: 938

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 03:45:13 PM

Perfectly put, thanks.

I think his criticism is spot on. Blackwhite.

Getting back to Bitcoin, I don't think OWS protesters are a suitable audience. I instead suggest that we need to spread the word internationally. Believe it or not, not everyone speaks English fluently, and even the ones that do are not eager to join English-centric online culture (even if there are non-English sections). They would constantly get flamed and trolled anyway. I even think "Bitcoin", being an English name, makes perceiving it as something belonging to all humanity difficult. Besides internationalizing Bitcoin tools, we need separate sites that focus on different cultures. Maybe find a way to internationalize the name "Bitcoin". Anyway, regarding the topic, I don't think, even internationally, die-hard social democrats in general won't find it appealing.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 07:19:03 PM

you need a computer, not a tent in central park to be able to use bitcoin...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 08:51:21 PM

nah all you need is an android phone Smiley
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
November 20, 2011, 08:56:08 PM

All you really need is a photographic memory and a glance of your wallet private key.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 09:05:20 PM

The obvious solution here is to print the blockchain and hand it out to everybody.   People can write their own changes in and everyone will get together and sync them up at the end of the night. 

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2011, 09:08:10 PM

If those OWS a-holes have android phones, I'll punch them myself.  WTF are they spending money on an android phone if they are worried about paying for s**t they "need." 

I don't own an android phone, and I seem to get along just fine.  Maybe that will help them balance their checkbook...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: