Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:03:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the Bitcoin client have a donate button (to donate to the Bitcoin foundation)?
Yes - 24 (49%)
No - 18 (36.7%)
Yes, but it shouldn't be named the Bitcoin foundation - 3 (6.1%)
Maybe - 4 (8.2%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the Bitcoin client have a donate button?  (Read 2325 times)
AlexWaters (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 11

Twitter:@watersNYC

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 10:22:13 AM

Gavin has mentioned adding a donate button to the Bitcoin client. I think this is a great idea.

My understanding is that Bitcoin is a decentralized P2P network, and we want to keep with the decentralized spirit. Please bear in mind that we have infrastructure needs, and if met we could deliver a better user experience.

Similar to BitTorrent.org, I think that Bitcoin needs some funding to help build out that necessary infrastructure. In my opinion, adding a donate button would be a step in the right direction.

If the developers were to add a donate button, where would those donations go?

Gavin has also mentioned (http://bit.ly/sbbHzf) setting up a NFP. Does anyone have experience doing this? If so, can you post some resources?

I created this Google doc to brainstorm the promotion of a 'fund Bitcoin campaign': http://bit.ly/tHZr53

Please feel free to comment on the Google doc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
neptop

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 08:14:33 PM

Sounds like a solid idea. A Bitcoin Foundation for developing and promoting Bitcoin maybe funding projects. I always liked how the Perl Foundation did this, but you can take any other example, be it Mozilla or whatever. I think NLnet would also fund Bitcoin. They support lots of projects that are similar to Bitcoin.

I am not sure whether a video is really needed. I think it's much better to have Bitcoin mentioned in a lot of places instead of putting up one big video and then people don't like it or only people who know Bitcoin are going to watch it.

You could only care for press and media in general. Maybe someone from outside creates a documentary or reportage about Bitcoin.

BitCoin address: 1E25UJEbifEejpYh117APmjYSXdLiJUCAZ
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 11:20:14 PM

Watching

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
zellfaze

Activity: 141

Security Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 04:56:47 AM

If the Bitcoin project is going to have a donation address at all I think it needs to be implemented as described in this topic (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53177.0).  The system that they work out in that topic requires two separate parties to generate private keys that are then matemagically turned into a single private key that neither of them know.  Then they matemagically make a public key of that by doing some crazy math with the separate public keys.

Anyhow, boils down to multiple parties having to corroborate in order to spend the money.  Either that or https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0011 needs implemented.

I just don't trust one person having control of an address that is listed to be donated to on every copy of the Satoshi client.  I'm all for the idea of having a donate button, but trust comes up as a big issue if we add one.

A+, CCENT, CCNA
Security Enthusiast
PHP Coder

Not that I expect anyone to, but should you like my post, please donate:
Donate: 1BRbfqii6Sm9tEUE8A16H7QeDmYFjyBZ7V
btc_artist

Activity: 154

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 05:09:02 AM

If the Bitcoin project is going to have a donation address at all I think it needs to be implemented as described in this topic (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53177.0).  The system that they work out in that topic requires two separate parties to generate private keys that are then matemagically turned into a single private key that neither of them know.  Then they matemagically make a public key of that by doing some crazy math with the separate public keys.

Anyhow, boils down to multiple parties having to corroborate in order to spend the money.  Either that or https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0011 needs implemented.

I just don't trust one person having control of an address that is listed to be donated to on every copy of the Satoshi client.  I'm all for the idea of having a donate button, but trust comes up as a big issue if we add one.
This is a fair concern, and I like the idea of spreading the trust among 2 or 3 people who would have to be in agreement to redeem the BTC.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
jothan

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 05:18:34 AM

BIP_0011 would probably be better since it would not require trust between the users. With the proposed scheme, the private key has to be computed at least once by combining secrets. Having the block chain and the nodes arbitrate this would be much less risky and would not require extra trust.

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 05:35:23 AM

I voted no because a button is way too obtrusive. A link to a donation page in the about dialog might be OK. Maybe putting a donation address as a default entry in the address book would also be OK.

Donated funds should only be used to help the Satoshi client development group (and this fact should be made very clear to donators). Having a "Bitcoin foundation" tied to the software makes me uneasy.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
zellfaze

Activity: 141

Security Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 05:52:54 AM

If the Bitcoin project is going to have a donation address at all I think it needs to be implemented as described in this topic (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53177.0).  The system that they work out in that topic requires two separate parties to generate private keys that are then matemagically turned into a single private key that neither of them know.  Then they matemagically make a public key of that by doing some crazy math with the separate public keys.

Anyhow, boils down to multiple parties having to corroborate in order to spend the money.  Either that or https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0011 needs implemented.

I just don't trust one person having control of an address that is listed to be donated to on every copy of the Satoshi client.  I'm all for the idea of having a donate button, but trust comes up as a big issue if we add one.

BIP_0011 would probably be better since it would not require trust between the users. With the proposed scheme, the private key has to be computed at least once by combining secrets. Having the block chain and the nodes arbitrate this would be much less risky and would not require extra trust.

I agree that BIP_0011 would be the better route as the private key would have to be computed if they want to spend the money so it would only be secure until the first time they needed to perform a transaction (along with the other reasons you mentioned).

I voted no because a button is way too obtrusive. A link to a donation page in the about dialog might be OK. Maybe putting a donation address as a default entry in the address book would also be OK.

Donated funds should only be used to help the Satoshi client development group (and this fact should be made very clear to donators). Having a "Bitcoin foundation" tied to the software makes me uneasy.

I disagree about the button being obtrusive.  It could easily be hidden away in a menu somewhere out of the way.  I do on the other hand agree that the funds would have to be for use with the Satoshi client dev group.  If we have a "Bitcoin Foundation" it should be tied to the protocol itself instead of a particular client.

EDIT:

Also if we do this, it is going to be a trend setter I am sure.  The alt clients will likely begin to implement similar things.  By making it clear that the money is going to the dev group for dev related projects, we set a precedent that other clients will follow in their dialogs.

A+, CCENT, CCNA
Security Enthusiast
PHP Coder

Not that I expect anyone to, but should you like my post, please donate:
Donate: 1BRbfqii6Sm9tEUE8A16H7QeDmYFjyBZ7V
AlexWaters (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 03:46:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMOkGiRbwFM

Big shout out to Matt Corallo for most of the work done to help build Bitcoin from source via Jenkins. Also, Gavin and the rest of the development team obviously. I would mention people, but I try to keep my videos short...

wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 04, 2011, 04:25:27 PM

I disagree about the button being obtrusive.  It could easily be hidden away in a menu somewhere out of the way.  
Right, it shouldn't be an "in your face" blinking button.

Apart from that, I agree with the idea. I'm sure there are people that want to donate to the project, so why not give them the option.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2011, 04:59:06 PM

+1, let's keep it simple

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 04:25:55 PM

The advice here is very relevant:
  http://producingoss.com/en/money.html

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 04:34:22 PM

I think some funding will be good.

PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 09:40:35 PM

Is Bitcoin an organization that can be donated to?

Do we want new users of bitcoin to think there is a central authority?

Is this client really Bitcoin? I think of it more as the protocol which this client happens to speak.

Pardon my knee-jerk response to the establishment of something that will likely benefit bitcoin on the whole. It is just my anti-establishment mania.

AlexWaters (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 12:43:02 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2011, 05:20:34 AM by AlexWaters

Gavin: there is a really interesting point about features going to the highest bidder. That definitely would be a problem; and goes against the core of what I believe Bitcoin can be.

Perhaps if donations were anonymous and/or limited in size, we could avoid those power issues?

Honestly I prefer the system admin scenario where individuals are funded by corporations, tbh I really don't know what the right answer is. I do know that Bitcoin has infrastructure needs, and anonymous donations might help solve some of the current issues.

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 02:40:18 PM

I don't think it's a good idea.

There's an issue more important than who the money goes to. The money can go to a non-profit org, can be split among the core developers, whatever... each proposition has it's own pluses and minuses.

But the tricky question is, who owns the address the client lets you send money to? I'm of the mindset that each bitcoin address, for a number of reasons, needs to be owned by exactly one person or entity (corporation, whatever), for all time.

If a literal, formal organization was created, say The Satoshi Bitcoin Client Corp, with some specific person or group of people that had ultimate control over the organization, and this organization was the official owner of the address, I could possibly see it. As it stands now, it appears as if the community is trying to create some sort of "public property" donation address, and I just don't like how that's going to wind up working out.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 06:23:35 PM

I wouldn't like a Donate button, but in the "About" window there could be a (clickable) Bitcoin address.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 10:08:48 PM

Me likes this.
+1 to donate button.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 10:57:34 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2011, 11:09:02 PM by paraipan

@ppl wanting a "Donate" button, you should be thinking more than a second what this means for the community and the pros and cons will bring us too. Some of you guys running away from centralization will achieve exactly that by supporting a central donation place.

I currently support this project any way that i can and even donate to the core developers a small bit to have them continue their awesome work. I don't need a donate button for that. If Gavin gets big part of the donations he will probably share it with his most trustworthy fellow programmers.

quote form Gavin's link...

A widely-used project can sometimes get significant contributions, from both individuals and organizations, just by having an online donation button, or sometimes by selling branded merchandise such as coffee mugs, T-shirts, mousepads, etc. A word of caution: if your project accepts donations, plan out how the money will be used before it comes in, and state the plans on the project's web site. Discussions about how to allocate money tend to go a lot more smoothly when held before there's actual money to spend; and anyway, if there are significant disagreements, it's better to find that out while it's still academic.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
PrintCoins

Activity: 533
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 11:23:42 PM

@ppl wanting a "Donate" button, you should be thinking more than a second what this means for the community and the pros and cons will bring us too. Some of you guys running away from centralization will achieve exactly that by supporting a central donation place.

I currently support this project any way that i can and even donate to the core developers a small bit to have them continue their awesome work. I don't need a donate button for that. If Gavin gets big part of the donations he will probably share it with his most trustworthy fellow programmers.

quote form Gavin's link...

A widely-used project can sometimes get significant contributions, from both individuals and organizations, just by having an online donation button, or sometimes by selling branded merchandise such as coffee mugs, T-shirts, mousepads, etc. A word of caution: if your project accepts donations, plan out how the money will be used before it comes in, and state the plans on the project's web site. Discussions about how to allocate money tend to go a lot more smoothly when held before there's actual money to spend; and anyway, if there are significant disagreements, it's better to find that out while it's still academic.

I totally agree with you. A donate button leads way too much to creating a centralized bitcoin authority.

I would rather the main client not be sponsored. This puts it at a level playing field with other client developers. Ideally, I would like this client to not be important anymore, and have 20 competing bitcoin clients of merit. Some designed for simple users, some designed for sophisticated account management.

(note of bias: I am working on creating my own client)

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: