Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:26:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is why Bitcoinica users must wait in line for withdrawals  (Read 5433 times)
ineededausername (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 04:58:20 AM

[23:51] <@MagicalTux> 2. We are mtgox, not bitcoinica
[23:51] <inau> heh
[23:51] <inau> well, bitcoinica says
[23:51] <inau> that you are imposing your withdrawal limits on their account
[23:52] <inau> this is causing a great deal of trouble for bitcoinica users
[23:52] <@MagicalTux> inau: bitcoinica is an illegal loan entity run by a minor
[23:52] <@MagicalTux> technically
[23:52] <@MagicalTux> now, if we had proper corporate documentation for bitcoinica we could allow larger withdraw limits
[23:52] <inau> i see

There it is, mtgox's official position on bitcoinica. Sad

(BFL)^2 < 0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 05:00:56 AM

That's bold.  zhoutong, step it up man!  Respond!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 05:08:13 AM

The whole withdraw limit thing is kinda bogus anyway. Independent of who it is.
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 05:11:34 AM

Does he mean "minor" or "miner" ?

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
Eveofwar

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 05:14:03 AM

Does he mean "minor" or "miner" ?

Minor.

As in    < 18
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 05:23:57 AM

this is a real liquidity problem for Bitcoinica users and for Zhoutong. 
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 05:37:50 AM

Liquidity problem yes, but it is also cold hard facts. Regardless of how well put together it is, Bitcoinica is dancing on the razor edge of legality and doesn't have a leg to stand on in demanding better service.
ineededausername (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 05:38:20 AM

zhoutong:
1. Is bitcoinica a corporation?
2. Why hasn't bitcoinica submitted proper corporate documentation to mtgox? (if you have, please say so)

(BFL)^2 < 0
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 05:45:43 AM

Bitcoinica is dancing on the razor edge of legality
What exactly is/might be illegal about it?

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 05:58:32 AM

Liquidity problem yes, but it is also cold hard facts. Regardless of how well put together it is, Bitcoinica is dancing on the razor edge of legality and doesn't have a leg to stand on in demanding better service.

In one what universe is Bitcoinica standing any shakier than Mt. Gox when it comes to international cashflow, regulatory compliance, and AML enforcement.

This is a petty attempt at Mt. Gox to undermine a competitor.  Having 99% of the market isn't enough.

LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 06:06:59 AM

Never said that Gox had anything to brag about. Under current banking laws, securities laws, money laundering laws, usury laws and quite possibly anti-racketeering laws in much of the civilized world, including Japan, Mt. Gox is not dancing, but jumping up and down with ankle weights on the razor's edge.

In fact pretty much everything that we do around here with bitcoins is quasi-legal somewhere, from our tax avoiding profit making mining enterprises, to our completely unregulated stock exchange, to the gift card buyers and sellers who transfer funds that are proscribed in certain countries. Toss in our infants terrible Silk Road and WikiLeaks as the early adopter poster children, and you have a wonderful cesspool of shady dealings, slightly mangled laws, and wanna-be gangsters all over the place.

Having Gox put restrictions on Bitcoinica is a lot like a mugger asking you for two pieces of ID to go with the cash he is stealing from you...
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 06:24:38 AM

, and you have a wonderful cesspool of shady dealings, slightly mangled laws, and wanna-be gangsters all over the place.

Yes some of that... but mostly just free people engaging in businesses without asking for permission from clowns with badges. Thank god there are people who just move forward without pleading with the gatekeepers. Heroes all.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 06:29:54 AM

[23:51] <@MagicalTux> 2. We are mtgox, not bitcoinica
[23:51] <inau> heh
[23:51] <inau> well, bitcoinica says
[23:51] <inau> that you are imposing your withdrawal limits on their account
[23:52] <inau> this is causing a great deal of trouble for bitcoinica users
[23:52] <@MagicalTux> inau: bitcoinica is an illegal loan entity run by a minor
[23:52] <@MagicalTux> technically
[23:52] <@MagicalTux> now, if we had proper corporate documentation for bitcoinica we could allow larger withdraw limits
[23:52] <inau> i see

There it is, mtgox's official position on bitcoinica. Sad

Bitcoinica is not a company. XWaylabs is a company, and it is legal and registered. Bitcoinica is a product of XWaylabs.

I can't help that MtGox is prejudiced against anything other than them that can influence the market. U jelly mtgox?

Speaking of which, watch how fast MtGox copies Bitcoinica and tries to include everything they do.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 06:50:04 AM

This is fun to watch and compare with the historical record of the securities exchanges battling bucket shops.

About 100-something year ago the main weapon against bucket shops was to cut off their ticker: ticker literally meant telegraph.

So the bucket shop operators would bribe telegraph company linemen to surreptitiously tap the telegraph lines of some established brokerage.

I wonder what is the next salvo in this battle going to be?

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 06:56:01 AM

Speaking of which, watch how fast MtGox copies Bitcoinica and tries to include everything they do.
I can't believe, out of the 100 shitty posts you make per day, you actually said something I agree with.  I believe the countdown on Gox is to release features that Bitcoinica started (well, it's just standard forex stuff anyway).
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 07:14:06 AM

I can't believe, out of the 100 shitty posts you make per day, you actually said something I agree with.  I believe the countdown on Gox is to release features that Bitcoinica started (well, it's just standard forex stuff anyway).

Not everything I say is it's just that I think is funny and a lot of other people think is funny too so I end up saying in between normal things. What's wrong, you got a problem with ?

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 07:35:19 AM

This is a petty attempt at Mt. Gox to undermine a competitor.  Having 99% of the market isn't enough.

Bitcoinica is not a competitor to mtgox. They look more like a parasite of mtgox.

They allow people to trade mtgox codes, and they leave all the difficult work (dealing with banks and regulations) to mtgox.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 08:54:32 AM

This is a petty attempt at Mt. Gox to undermine a competitor.  Having 99% of the market isn't enough.

Bitcoinica is not a competitor to mtgox. They look more like a parasite of mtgox.

They allow people to trade mtgox codes, and they leave all the difficult work (dealing with banks and regulations) to mtgox.

Haters gonna hate.
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 09:16:19 AM

zhoutong:
1. Is bitcoinica a corporation?
2. Why hasn't bitcoinica submitted proper corporate documentation to mtgox? (if you have, please say so)

1. Bitcoinica is currently operated by xWaylab Inc., a Delaware corporation.

2. I have submitted by passport for AML. So our main account has a limit increase. However, we have separate accounts for hedging and withdrawals because one has to be protected by Yubikey. The withdrawal account has normal account limits while the hedging account doesn't have.

Each time you do a manual withdrawal, I would have to manually log in to Mt. Gox account using the Yubikey, and withdraw. This works 99% of the time.

I have requested for withdrawal limit increase on the bitcoinica_withdrawal account, but they rejected because both accounts are owned by the same owner, and the only way to do it is to wait for their sub-account feature (with shared withdrawal limits or something).

Now I'm traveling and I don't have Yubikey access at the moment, so Bitcoinica users have to request for manual withdrawal limit resets.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 09:20:11 AM

In one what universe is Bitcoinica standing any shakier than Mt. Gox when it comes to international cashflow, regulatory compliance, and AML enforcement.

This is a petty attempt at Mt. Gox to undermine a competitor.  Having 99% of the market isn't enough.

Bitcoinica can easily double or triple the volume of an exchange like TradeHill. Everyday the hedging volume at Mt. Gox is 1/4 to 1/3 of their book. I think Mark knows this.

I just have no interest to switch to other exchanges at the moment. But I must say it's silly to think Bitcoinica as a competitor not a partner. When they do, Bitcoinica will really be a significant competitor.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: